MP3 hesitation when quick acceleration at about 3800RPM,
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
Piaggio MP3-400
Fri May 22, 2020 9:23 am quote
When riding and attempt to accelerate at about 3000-4000RPM engine wants to stall or sputter, when even smooth is done seems ok. Also occurring on right hand banked turns has same stalling effect as if lack of gas. Any ideas out there?
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 am quote
Inital thoughts would be fuel pump or fuel filter.

Are you consistently using premium fuel from a major station and do you ride the bike frequently enough to avoid fuel turning stale?
Hooked
Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 am quote
Sounds like to much air/fuel entering system or a chafed wire earthing out from sudden moment.
If air filter has been changed to aftermarket one or new air filter has been over oiled stopping enough air when needed.
Spark plug cap not secure.
Personally I always put some dry fuel in any vehicle that is having firing issues as it's cheapish and has always had an effect on motorbike engines which I believe suffer most from water getting in the petrol.
Ow and a bad earth connection.
Enthusiast
2015 MP3 500
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:59 am quote
just so its asked lol
Have you checked to see if you're in Economy mode or regular? Not sure what your experience is please don't be offended.
When you fill the tank do you put the nozzle all the way down and when it shuts off do you stop, or put a little more to "top it off"? If you do top it off try to break that habit. I found that I do get better performance in the short and long turn by doing this.
I recently watched a show about fuel, its additives, octane etc. I did not know this prior so I always put premium in all my vehicles. They all produce the same energy output regardless of octane. The higher level fuels do not provide more energy but they do tend to have more cleaning agents etc in them. I have since gone to the manufacturer recommended fuel. I do know when I used to use some avgas (aviation fuel) in my very old bike many moons ago, it definitely burned much hotter and it sure felt like there was more power there LOL.
Im no science guru and I have not tested the wide range of fuels and gauged power output etc etc (I dont happen to have a lab at home). I did get this information was watching a program about fuel but it's still television so who knows.
Good luck Roland.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm quote
Re: just so its asked lol
2Can wrote:
Have you checked to see if you're in Economy mode or regular? Not sure what your experience is please don't be offended.
When you fill the tank do you put the nozzle all the way down and when it shuts off do you stop, or put a little more to "top it off"? If you do top it off try to break that habit. I found that I do get better performance in the short and long turn by doing this.
I recently watched a show about fuel, its additives, octane etc. I did not know this prior so I always put premium in all my vehicles. They all produce the same energy output regardless of octane. The higher level fuels do not provide more energy but they do tend to have more cleaning agents etc in them. I have since gone to the manufacturer recommended fuel. I do know when I used to use some avgas (aviation fuel) in my very old bike many moons ago, it definitely burned much hotter and it sure felt like there was more power there LOL.
Im no science guru and I have not tested the wide range of fuels and gauged power output etc etc (I dont happen to have a lab at home). I did get this information was watching a program about fuel but it's still television so who knows.
Good luck Roland.
the op's bike is a 400 and does not have the eco or reg modes.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 pm quote
Re: just so its asked lol
2Can wrote:
I recently watched a show about fuel, its additives, octane etc. I did not know this prior so I always put premium in all my vehicles. They all produce the same energy output regardless of octane. The higher level fuels do not provide more energy but they do tend to have more cleaning agents etc in them. I have since gone to the manufacturer recommended fuel.

Good luck Roland.
Use octane recommended in the owners manual. More is bad, unless it is just a 1 or 2 octane, like using 93 instead of 91.
Using 93 instead of 87 will cause carbon build up on the piston and head which at some point will get to the point that it raises the compression enough that high octane will be required.
You want to clean your fuel system do it right by running and bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus Complete Fuel System Cleaner 20 oz.
It has to be the, "Concentrate Plus". This is one of the best you can buy in a store.
Want better go to a shop that sells BG Products and buy a can of BG44K. This is the best you can buy and not available in stores.
Add the recommended amount to your tank once every 3,000 miles.
https://www.bgprod.com/
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1477s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0431s) ][ Debug on ]