@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Can someone explain how the Clauss Studio upper shock to frame mount works? Anybody have an installed picture of one?

https://www.claussstudios.com/store/p540/Vespa_Rally_P200_PX200_HD___P125_Stella_Super_Sprint_GL150__GS160___SS180____Shock_to_Frame_Mount_.html
⚠️ Last edited by Christopher_55934 on UTC; edited 2 times
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
It gets held in by two attachment points. You have to drill a second hole in you frame to mount it up in there. If no one else posts up a pic I can probably take on later today.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
I saw a Piaggio mount it looked like a piece of rubber stuck between two sheets of metal. Does the Clauss mount replace the piece of rubber completely?
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
I saw a Piaggio mount it looked like a piece of rubber stuck between two sheets of metal. Does the Clauss mount replace the piece of rubber completely?
Yes, the Clauss mount replaces the stock one. The Clauss is a beefed up version of the rubber block. Instead of the rubber + 2 metal plates top and bottom. The clauss version encapsulated the rubber on 4 sides, and provides extra support around the shock extension. To mount it you use the already existing hole in the frame, and drill and additional hole next to it. Stronger support to frame, stronger support to shock mount, and uses polyurethane instead of rubber. Provides firmer tighter suspension, but some say at the sacrifice of comfort; as it transfers more vibrations to the frame.
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
I have one on my P200 and GL no complaints
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
And now for pics...

***EDIT: I just realized that i'm holding up the shock mount so it's 180 degrees off. So if you turn it 540 degrees the other direction, it will be correctly situated.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by whodatschrome on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Another pic

***EDIT: I just realized that i'm holding up the shock mount so it's 180 degrees off. So if you turn it 540 degrees the other direction, it will be correctly situated.
⚠️ Last edited by whodatschrome on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I don't know what happened here
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
FOR SALE: slightly used shock mount...
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Whodat - LMAO.
You went to do a good deed and shoot a pic - and ended up with a full blown fixit project.
Thanks for the chuckle.

Christopher - I am using the PLC lower mount to replace the rubber at the back of the motor. No noticeable change in vibration. (PLC are through SIP and others).
Considering upgrading the "silent block" motor mount to either Clause or PLC or other. Dont really want to have a jarring ride - but looking to weed out any unwanted wobbles at speed.

Whodat (and others) what's the word on the various versions out there from PLC/Clause/others?

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/rubber+engine+mounting+bushs+_17472620
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Whodat - LMAO.
You went to do a good deed and shoot a pic - and ended up with a full blown fixit project.
Thanks for the chuckle.

Christopher - I am using the PLC lower mount to replace the rubber at the back of the motor. No noticeable change in vibration. (PLC are through SIP and others).
Considering upgrading the "silent block" motor mount to either Clause or PLC or other. Dont really want to have a jarring ride - but looking to weed out any unwanted wobbles at speed.

Whodat (and others) what's the word on the various versions out there from PLC/Clause/others?

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/rubber+engine+mounting+bushs+_17472620
I've heard LOTS of complaints about poly engine mounts and vibrations. I do mostly highway commuting for at least 30 miles at a time so riding comfort is important to me. I have three sets of Clauss poly bushings. One in a T5 172, one in my pink PK200EFL, and one in a PX215. I don't notice vibrations in my PX215 or PK200. Who's to say how much vibration the poly creates in the T5 since i have a SIP carbon fiber race seat on it (no foam). 100 mile trips are already unpleasant from the seat, so i don't notice much else.

I have those orange PLC in my red PK125XL build PK smallframe touring cylinder options (Page 4) I'm not finished with the build, so i can't say how they feel. I think they have two different durometers?...green ones as well. I like orange so i bought orange. Charlie, your scooter needs the orange ones! I think the orange flavored PCL mounts are a little bit softer durometer than the Clauss. When i performed a scientific side by side "bite test" a few months ago, the orange tasted softer than Clauss black. *(i think he might make blue flavored ones now? I have zero experience with that variety).

I also saw some super trick swingarm bearings. I was thinking about getting those for my pink PK, but i figured that the bearings would get wet and rust at some point. If they were available years ago, i definitely would have installed them in my T5 track bike. I have some other PX's as well that still have the stock rubber bushings. Those are nice and "Cadillac cush" for sure.

I'm not really a fan of anyone's lower rear poly shock mount yet. The bushing seems to float around in the mouting hole in the case, which causes the shock mount to rub against the case mount. I haven't had an issue with that when using the original rubber bushings.

I think sometimes poly bushings can bring other things to light...such as if you have a crank that's a little bit out of balance, then you go and install some harder durometer engine bushings, and poof!...instant vibrations galore!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I have the Clauss uppers, and also run Clauss Mounts (blueberry flavor) in both my Stella and Sprint motors.

I don't notice vibration in the Stella motor, but do notice more on the Sprint motor.

I'm about to re-assemble my VBB motor with regular rubber mounts, so I'll have a basis for comparison after that.

And, in case you were wondering, installing that Clauss upper mount was a brutal project in a bike that wasn't a bare frame.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
You definitely should not be their sales person. That doesn't make me want to spend 3X more on a shock mount that requires more work to install.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I have the Clauss uppers, and also run Clauss Mounts (blueberry flavor) in both my Stella and Sprint motors.

I don't notice vibration in the Stella motor, but do notice more on the Sprint motor.

I'm about to re-assemble my VBB motor with regular rubber mounts, so I'll have a basis for comparison after that.

And, in case you were wondering, installing that Clauss upper mount was a brutal project in a bike that wasn't a bare frame.
Did the mount come with installation instructions? Going to email and ask them about getting a set.

So the factory rubber part screws into the frame, then the shock screws into that. The Clauss mount has two mounting holes and the shock screws into that.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Did the mount come with installation instructions? Going to email and ask them about getting a set.

So the factory rubber part screws into the frame, then the shock screws into that. The Clauss mount has two mounting holes and the shock screws into that.
I don't recall it coming with instructions, but I put it in a few years ago when my factory mount broke.

The Clauss mount has two holes, so you re-use one hole and drill a new hole for the second mounting bolt. Then you screw the shock+spacer onto the mount like you normally would.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
https://www.claussstudios.com/store/c46/vespa.html

Anyone know the diameter needed for a Stella rear engine shock mount bushing? Two sizes listed 9mm or 10mm.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:

Do I want to know why it was brutal? I have a few drills including a right angle if that helps.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Christopher - appreciate you letting me borrow the thread a bit for additional feedback/update from those using. Been looking at these simultaneously - but hadn't considered that top mount.
Just curious - what are you looking to improve by using - is the bike doing something specifically?

Whodat! Gracious. Dissertation is excellent. Tks!
Chandlerman - Kinda interesting that one bike is less smooth with them than the other.
Will be interesting to see if you prefer the "Cadillac" ride vs the sport suspension feel when you rebuild with new.
I put some BGM ones in on my last build - extremely cushy feel - but find them too squishy from a "control" standpoint. Softer than the LML style with metal tube on OD.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Christopher - appreciate you letting me borrow the thread a bit for additional feedback/update from those using. Been looking at these simultaneously - but hadn't considered that top mount.
Just curious - what are you looking to improve by using - is the bike doing something specifically?

Whodat! Gracious. Dissertation is excellent. Tks!
Chandlerman - Kinda interesting that one bike is less smooth with them than the other.
Will be interesting to see if you prefer the "Cadillac" ride vs the sport suspension feel when you rebuild with new.
I put some BGM ones in on my last build - extremely cushy feel - but find them too squishy from a "control" standpoint. Softer than the LML style with metal tube on OD.
I was curious more than anything, looking at putting on some new shocks and was looking for other maintenance parts that should be replaced. The upper shock mount was one of them. When I did a Google search this came up.
⚠️ Last edited by Christopher_55934 on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
You definitely should not be their sales person. That doesn't make me want to spend 3X more on a shock mount that requires more work to install.
I wasn't the mounts fault. My riding style lends to taking LOTS of shortcuts to get to point B on my commutes....straightening the curves, flattening the hills sort of stuff.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Installing the CS mount is pulling the tank and drilling a hole then one extra nut and bolt.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
ScooterRaton wrote:
Installing the CS mount is pulling the tank and drilling a hole then one extra nut and bolt.
Yet another reason to install a new set of fuel hoses and fast flow fuel tap sitting in a box.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
https://www.claussstudios.com/store/c46/vespa.html

Anyone know the diameter needed for a Stella rear engine shock mount bushing? Two sizes listed 9mm or 10mm.
With many bushing swaps over the years, i now just drill out the lower shock mounting hole to be able to utilize the larger diameter bolt.
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC quote
I run a full clauss setup on my purple scoot

Top shock mount (rear)
Bottom shock mount (rear)
Engine Mounts
front shock (top)

it feels really "planted" with this setup. not air ride soft, but less engine vibration and better control that a set of worn bushings they replaced thats for sure

I replace all the lower bushings in mine with the 10mm variety. but thats so i have a consistent bush throughout all my scoots and can swap engines over from one to the other without any issues. been caught out in the past when a 9mm bolt made a bit for freedom and all i had were 10mm bolts.. you get the idea

oh and the best part..... If you wear or damage then from use, they will replace them free as they have a lifetime warranty
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
Good Feedback everyone. i have a full set of these on the shelf, waiting to go in. I wish they made a shock top and front top bushings for the Smallframe.
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC quote
GeekLion wrote:
Good Feedback everyone. i have a full set of these on the shelf, waiting to go in. I wish they made a shock top and front top bushings for the Smallframe.
depending on the model, im fairly certain PX parts can be fitted
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Gravelrash2004 wrote:
GeekLion wrote:
depending on the model, im fairly certain PX parts can be fitted
Will for sure on the PK front shock
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC quote
the rear suspension looks to be common across a large swathe of the smallframe range

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/ersatzteile/spare+parts++vespa+50pvet3pkxl-577/centre+stand+brake+pedal++shock+absorber+rear-624?

so a mix and match of parts on clauss site could/should yield a full rear suspension upgrade

NICE
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
They look easy enough except the engine mount, you have to pull the motor completely out it looks like. Then getting the bushing out can be fun, from the videos I've seen.
⚠️ Last edited by Christopher_55934 on UTC; edited 1 time
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
ScooterRaton wrote:
Yet another reason to install a new set of fuel hoses and fast flow fuel tap sitting in a box.
Just pull the tank and yeah, change the hoses, tap and just clean up in there.

I always sign and date inside the tank area for someone to fine someday!
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
Gravelrash2004 wrote:
the rear suspension looks to be common across a large swathe of the smallframe range

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/ersatzteile/spare+parts++vespa+50pvet3pkxl-577/centre+stand+brake+pedal++shock+absorber+rear-624?

so a mix and match of parts on clauss site could/should yield a full rear suspension upgrade

NICE
The oem rubber block is the same, but my SF has a reinforcing rib molded into the frame, directly adjacent to the block. So the Clauss mount would only fit if this rib is partially cut out. Yes, It would fit, but I don't want to cut the frame this way. I'll have to look again and see if there is another way to make it work without permanent modifications.

The Front shock Top buffers may work OK, but the P-series buffers are larger Inside & Outside diameter. I'll have to compare to see if it can be made to work safely. Outside diameter can be cut down to fit in the mount cup, but I feel like there is too much play on the larger Inside diameter. The top shock bolt 'floats around' Inside the buffer, and can contact the metal mount plate.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
I'm referencing how these fit on my '81 100 Sport
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
GeekLion wrote:
Gravelrash2004 wrote:

NICE
The oem rubber block is the same, but my SF has a reinforcing rib molded into the frame, directly adjacent to the block. So the Clauss mount would only fit if this rib is partially cut out. Yes, It would fit, but I don't want to cut the frame this way. I'll have to look again and see if there is another way to make it work without permanent modifications.

The Front shock Top buffers may work OK, but the P-series buffers are larger Inside & Outside diameter. I'll have to compare to see if it can be made to work safely. Outside diameter can be cut down to fit in the mount cup, but I feel like there is too much play on the larger Inside diameter. The top shock bolt 'floats around' Inside the buffer, and can contact the metal mount plate.
You mean exactly like the same rib that's on a P? Take a second look at the pics above that I posted. I can't remember if the clauss mount comes with spacers to drop the bracket down below the rib. I suppose if not, a guy could easily do that. In fact, the mount might come with a notched poly spacer that accounts for that rib? Mine broke years ago, so it's been a while since I messed with one.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
GeekLion wrote:
Gravelrash2004 wrote:

NICE

You mean exactly like the same rib that's on a P? Take a second look at the pics above that I posted. I can't remember if the clauss mount comes with spacers to drop the bracket down below the rib. I suppose if not, a guy could easily do that. In fact, the mount might come with a notched poly spacer that accounts for that rib? Mine broke years ago, so it's been a while since I messed with one.
The 'rib' on my SF is much more pronounced than the Pseries/large frames. Its actually a pinched weld seam where 2 different pieces of the sheetmetal join together. Its approx 1/4" tall. A spacer/riser could easily work, if there is enough thread on the clauss block 'welded bolt'. I have a brand new Clauss mount for another project; so 'll check for fit on the SF
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC quote
"Vespa"
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/rubber+buffer+shock+absorber+_17815000
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/rubber+buffer+rear+top+lower_17814900

These seem to be the equivalents
"Clauss Studio"
https://www.claussstudios.com/store/p545/Vespa_ET_LX150_S_Polyurethane_Rear_Shock_Bushings.html
https://www.claussstudios.com/store/p542/Vespa_GTS_GTV_250_300_Polyurethane_Upper_Rear_Shock_Bushings.html

Please bare in mind - i dont have a smallframe anymore so "caveat emptor" as they say

https://www.claussstudios.com/store/p541/Vespa_PX_ET_LX_150_MP3_GTV_250_Polyurethane_Front_Shock.html
Its really niggling me, as in, im sure someone has used part of this set as well to replace a top bushing on the rear mount..... i just cant find the evidence at the moment to support the assumption
GeekLion wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
GeekLion wrote:
Gravelrash2004 wrote:

NICE

The 'rib' on my SF is much more pronounced than the Pseries/large frames. Its actually a pinched weld seam where 2 different pieces of the sheetmetal join together. Its approx 1/4" tall. A spacer/riser could easily work, if there is enough thread on the clauss block 'welded bolt'. I have a brand new Clauss mount for another project; so 'll check for fit on the SF
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
One semi-random suggestion, make sure you have a ratchet end 13mm wrench and the job will be a lot easier.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
One semi-random suggestion, make sure you have a ratchet end 13mm wrench and the job will be a lot easier.
Good advice. ratcheting wrenches are the best!!
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
x2! They're a game changer for that upper shock mount bolt.
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC quote
X3!

I bought them in all sizes from 6mm to 17mm. Total game changer. Love my socket set and ratchet spanners
chandlerman wrote:
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
I own two sets of ratcheting wrenches. A flat set and an offset set, the offset set never seem to be at the correct angle for me. I want to get a set of flex head like these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/husky-100-position-flex-head-ratcheting-wrench-set-metric-6-piece-h100flrw6pcmmn/301175139
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0963s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0108s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]