Parking brake cable replacement gilera fuoco/mp3 500
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 305
Location: United Kingdom.
Mon May 25, 2020 1:42 am quote
My parking brake on the fuoco has always been abit sticky ever since i bought the bike 4 yrs ago ( i think) anyway i have managed to live with it's inconsistant workings but it's getting worse so in lockdown i have been doing jobs on the fuoco for when i can safely ride. Yesterday i detached the cable at the caliper and have been trying to get maintainance spray and very thin oil down the cable with not alot of sucess. I removed the ferrull on the cable end to see if the outer cable was nylon lined IT'S NOT, also the inner cable is standard stranded wire. So i've looked at Fowlers in Bristol UK and the part number is listed as 648931 this number replaced 651392 so piaggio must have made something different and i'm wondering if there now nylon lined and possibly are 7x7 stranded wire.

So my question is does anyone know if the new part number is a nylon lined one and is the wire 7x7.

I 'm thinking that if the new 648931 is not nylon lined i'd just make a new nylon lined one with 7x7 stranded wire and make all new fittings at the caliper end with stainless . I did consider cutting a access panel out around the lever to save the pita of removing the panels but because of the 2 frame tubes i don't think this is on.
Member
gilera fuoco 500ie
Joined: 24 Oct 2019
Posts: 23
Location: Northampton uk
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:22 am quote
Did you get a new cable as mine needs replacing..none listed in fleabay
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 80
Location: Sydney
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:50 pm quote
Re: Parking brake cable replacement gilera fuoco/mp3 500
3legsofman wrote:
My parking brake on the fuoco has always been abit sticky ever since i bought the bike 4 yrs ago ( i think) anyway i have managed to live with it's inconsistant workings but it's getting worse so in lockdown i have been doing jobs on the fuoco for when i can safely ride. Yesterday i detached the cable at the caliper and have been trying to get maintainance spray and very thin oil down the cable with not alot of sucess. I removed the ferrull on the cable end to see if the outer cable was nylon lined IT'S NOT, also the inner cable is standard stranded wire. So i've looked at Fowlers in Bristol UK and the part number is listed as 648931 this number replaced 651392 so piaggio must have made something different and i'm wondering if there now nylon lined and possibly are 7x7 stranded wire.

So my question is does anyone know if the new part number is a nylon lined one and is the wire 7x7.

I 'm thinking that if the new 648931 is not nylon lined i'd just make a new nylon lined one with 7x7 stranded wire and make all new fittings at the caliper end with stainless . I did consider cutting a access panel out around the lever to save the pita of removing the panels but because of the 2 frame tubes i don't think this is on.
Hi, I have MP3 400ie, I replaced the parking brake cable couple of months ago, it took me 3 days, to remove everything and replace it and put things back, note that I am not a mechanic and just my understanding is very limited, I can change oil, etc.... but the technical matters ,,,, it is foreign for me!!!! just like your question, I could not understand it, if you want the part number, I can dig the invoice out and provide you with the part number but not sure if it will fit your scooter, you need to ask, but I think it maybe an interchangeable part between them. cheers and good luck.
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 305
Location: United Kingdom.
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:33 am quote
oddjob1 wrote:
Did you get a new cable as mine needs replacing..none listed in fleabay
There was one on fleabay but it was dearer than buying one from Fowlers of Bristol and there postage charge. I decided to make my own and replace the fitments with stainless steel ones i made .Allow a day to do the job and get the swear box out with plenty of change. If piaggio ( they get alot of swearing from me ) had made the slot where the parking brake lever slides wider or made the rubber seal detachable from the outside you could replace the cable in less than 1/2 hour. I was going to modify mine but i'm confident that my cable will not need replacing so did'ent bother doing the required modifications. One thing to do before replacing is run some 3 in 1 oil down the new cable until it runs out of the other end. I'll keep my eye out for you next time i'm in northampton maybe in the next 2 weeks. Photo's show the original inner cable the dirty portion was semi siezed end at the rear wheel end.

fuoco and zundapp 022.JPG

fuoco and zundapp 023.JPG

Member
gilera fuoco 500ie
Joined: 24 Oct 2019
Posts: 23
Location: Northampton uk
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 am quote
Brake still works but doesn't spring back when released.tried spraying some oil up cable and pulling few times ..
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 305
Location: United Kingdom.
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 am quote
oddjob1 wrote:
Brake still works but doesn't spring back when released.tried spraying some oil up cable and pulling few times ..
Thats exactly as mine was ,i tried 3 in 1 oil and a maintainence spray over 4 days but it made little difference ,which was born out by what the inner cable looked like when i removed it. I always did wonder why it had worn out the pads again even though it has a warning light on the dash it didnot always show. Your wasteing your time trying to get it to work as it should ,replacement is the only real answer. Unless your not bothered about using the parking brake as it's not checked on the MOT as the fuoco is a class 2 unless it's a Lt model class 3 then i'm not sure.
Member
gilera fuoco 500ie
Joined: 24 Oct 2019
Posts: 23
Location: Northampton uk
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:29 am quote
Good to know as mot due by september.only use it if wife sitting on bike when parked on a slope.probably sort it out after mot then
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 305
Location: United Kingdom.
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:49 am quote
You could always remove the caliper and save some weight and don't forget the 6month government covid extension to the MOT's mine was due late june 2020 but because of the mot extension it's been moved to 24th dec 2020.
Member
gilera fuoco 500ie
Joined: 24 Oct 2019
Posts: 23
Location: Northampton uk
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 am quote
Just checked at local mot place..needs parking brake..part number 651392 right?
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1526s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0269s) ][ Debug on ]