keep Stalling when I release throttle and in idling.
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Fri May 29, 2020 3:22 am quote
Took my Mp3 to the dealer and hooked up on a diagnosis software. sad to say the mechanic doesnt know what hes doing. So I just took a snap shot of the screen. maybe somebody here can interpret what the error means. I left the dealership still with the same problem. and still charged me for the diagnosis .

20190801_122056.jpg

20190801_122224.jpg

20190801_122457.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8597
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Fri May 29, 2020 5:49 am quote
Take your air cleaner housing off including the intake hose and look for a little port on the throttle body once the intake hose is off. It's right next to the throttle plate. Then get some throttle body cleaner and spray it in the while the scooter is running. May have to get someone to work the throttle for you while you spray.
The idle pass by just needs cleaning out.

There is a FW update too, but doesn't sound like your dealer has the knowledge of how to do one.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38718
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Fri May 29, 2020 2:39 pm quote
All about idle:
https://cheekythoma3.wixsite.com/itsme/idle
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Sat May 30, 2020 3:01 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Take your air cleaner housing off including the intake hose and look for a little port on the throttle body once the intake hose is off. It's right next to the throttle plate. Then get some throttle body cleaner and spray it in the while the scooter is running. May have to get someone to work the throttle for you while you spray.
The idle pass by just needs cleaning out.

There is a FW update too, but doesn't sound like your dealer has the knowledge of how to do one.
Thanks for the advice will try to do that and give you feedback ,just have to get myself a throttle body cleaner first since I only have carb cleaner available for now. thats sadly true mate the dealer sucks.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Sat May 30, 2020 3:09 am quote
wow thanks for the link mate. very informative.
Member
Piaggio MP3 Yourban
Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Location: London
Sat May 30, 2020 4:16 am quote
My Yourban had the same problem and cleaning the throttle body in accordance with the info featured in the link provided by jimc has really improved things.

It took me about an hour to complete the task (I took the throttle body out and fitted it again...) and I spent about 6 on intake cleaner.

If possible, try and spray some cleaner into the idle inlet whilst the bike is idling...

I sprayed a little silicon lubricant on the internal edges of the rubber inlet pipes to make things easier to get off/on...
Enthusiast
mp3 500 2016
Joined: 30 Dec 2011
Posts: 82
Location: singapore
Sat May 30, 2020 4:24 am quote
What cleaner to use exactly?
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 241
Location: Belgium
Sat May 30, 2020 4:27 am quote
Strange that some bikes suffer from this problem, and some don't

I'm thinking this may be due to a fuel quality issue.

My MP3 has just turned 25K km and idle is rock steady, never having touched or cleaned the throttle body.

Granted, I use Shell V-Power exclusively (on all my vehicles) along with Liqui Moly fuel injector cleaner.

I check the top of the pistons with a borescope at each plug interval (10k kms) and there is no carbon build up.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21619
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Sat May 30, 2020 7:05 am quote
sbaert wrote:
Strange that some bikes suffer from this problem, and some don't

I'm thinking this may be due to a fuel quality issue.

My MP3 has just turned 25K km and idle is rock steady, never having touched or cleaned the throttle body.

Granted, I use Shell V-Power exclusively (on all my vehicles) along with Liqui Moly fuel injector cleaner.

I check the top of the pistons with a borescope at each plug interval (10k kms) and there is no carbon build up.
not fuel related. its caused by over oiling the air filter or not cleaning the air filter on a regular basis like every 3-4000 miles.

read Cheeky Thomas page like JimC provided in his response above
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 241
Location: Belgium
Sat May 30, 2020 7:33 am quote
I only wash and re-oil the air filter every 10k km as per the service manual, yet no problems.

But your theory re. overoiling of the filter is definitely a possibility, as is the fact that Piaggio lists the wrong engine oil capacity at 1.7L while it should be 1.5Liters. Excess engine oil will work its way into the air filter box and the air filter. Then I can see how that could screw up the idle air bypass valve.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8597
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:10 am quote
FYI:
When installing the air cleaning housing to the chassis. If the first bolt you put in won't catch the threads of the blind nut, try starting the other bolt first. Happens to me every time, mess with one bolt for 5 minutes, then try the other one and it goes right in then first one lines up too



Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:09 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?



Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:11 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:36 pm quote
wonder why my youtube link doesnt work
Hooked
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 297
Location: Uk rochdale
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:41 pm quote
Gurranted you have not cleaned out the bypass hole if you cleaned it while still attached to the engine.just remove throttle body and clean bypass hole properly and you should be able to pour something in one side of the hole and have it come out the other.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:02 am quote
buddyspudface wrote:
Gurranted you have not cleaned out the bypass hole if you cleaned it while still attached to the engine.just remove throttle body and clean bypass hole properly and you should be able to pour something in one side of the hole and have it come out the other.
ok ill try to take the throttle body off. but i cant get to it. is there a video or picture to show which fairings to remove to get to it? tnx mate
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38718
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:08 am quote
envirosolarmate wrote:
wonder why my youtube link doesnt work
You really should read the sticky posts at the top of the forum:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/post2405057#2405057

It's been known for YEARS that youtube links posted directly on MV will not work with Chrome - I'm surprised you never bumped into it before!
Hooked
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 297
Location: Uk rochdale
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 am quote
ok ill try to take the throttle body off. but i cant get to it. is there a video or picture to show which fairings to remove to get to it? tnx mate[/quote]

It's all doable from just the seat storage panel removal.
Plenty of topics all over mv it's a very simple job to do. Philips screwdriver and I think a 10mm open ended spanner for the throttle cable.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8597
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:15 am quote
If the motor runs I would try the throttle body cleaner first. Why take the throttle body off?
Hooked
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 297
Location: Uk rochdale
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:21 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
If the motor runs I would try the throttle body cleaner first. Why take the throttle body off?
Taking the body of is such an easy thing to do why muck around trying to clean what you can't see when you can guaranty doing it right if removed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8597
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:33 pm quote
buddyspudface wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
If the motor runs I would try the throttle body cleaner first. Why take the throttle body off?
Taking the body of is such an easy thing to do why muck around trying to clean what you can't see when you can guaranty doing it right if removed.
All you have to do is rev the engine and spray into the idle port. It will either fix it or it won't. So why not try it before taking the throttle body off?
Fixed my idle problem every time, now I just do it when I do air filter service.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:37 pm quote
I did try to clean the throttle body while its still connected idle tend to improve it takes more than a while before the engines shuts off but I notice rich 0 smoke smell. Did I ruined my ECU ?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21619
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:08 pm quote
envirosolarmate wrote:
I did try to clean the throttle body while its still connected idle tend to improve it takes more than a while before the engines shuts off but I notice rich 0 smoke smell. Did I ruined my ECU ?
no, its cleaning out the gunk, probably did not clean it enough. 1 or 2 squirts barely gets anything.

you need to get it on the center stand, take the tilt lock off, and have it about 2500-3000 rpms and then 2-3 sec bursts be sure to aim to the hole/port. keep it running and do this about 5-6 times.

I do recommend replacing the spark plug after doing the cleaning as the cleaning tends to break depsosits loose and they can collect on the spark plug.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
envirosolarmate wrote:
I did try to clean the throttle body while its still connected idle tend to improve it takes more than a while before the engines shuts off but I notice rich 0 smoke smell. Did I ruined my ECU ?
no, its cleaning out the gunk, probably did not clean it enough. 1 or 2 squirts barely gets anything.

you need to get it on the center stand, take the tilt lock off, and have it about 2500-3000 rpms and then 2-3 sec bursts be sure to aim to the hole/port. keep it running and do this about 5-6 times.

I do recommend replacing the spark plug after doing the cleaning as the cleaning tends to break depsosits loose and they can collect on the spark plug.
ok.mate will try and do it again thanks
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:30 pm quote
UPDATE: Keep stalling when I release throttle and in idling&
Hello mates finally I was able to resolved the problem.. after cleaning the throttle body and the lamda sensor, cleaning the Jet and checking the fuel filter and pump the problem remains then my mechanic replaced the ignition coil and WALA perfect the engine runs smoothly. so just trying to say you might want to add on your checklist the Ignition coil when troubleshooting this kind of problem. thank you for your inputs and comments guys.
Hooked
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 297
Location: Uk rochdale
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:19 am quote
well done for getting it sorted, and its nice when people take the time to report back to the forum with updates.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 400ie
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 99
Location: philippines
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:30 am quote
buddyspudface wrote:
well done for getting it sorted, and its nice when people take the time to report back to the forum with updates.
thanks for the reply... I did it because this forum really helps and with us sharing feedbacks and updates increases the chance of gaining more knowledge and information to fix or solve the issues.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1732s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0401s) ][ Debug on ]