Glove box removal on 2018 onwards Sprint/ Primavera
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2020 Sprint S 125, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon 800, 2017 Ninja 650
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:51 pm quote
I have seen the video by Robot on removal of the glovebox. I aim to do this as soon as my Sprint gets to me to rustproof the internal of the body as best as I can. Makes me nervous taking apart a brand new bike so was hoping someone has done that on these newer late models and can share any tips or the experience please. Obviously the floor needs to come up to so I can get under there but that looks easy in comparision.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:22 am quote
It's much, much easier on your scootee Just keep track of your screws. Some folks even make drawings of the front and back and floor board.

Once all the screws are off from the floorboard, lift it from the front.
2018 Sprint 150
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 am quote
I like this magnetic mat from iFixit for that -- you can draw or write whatever will help you keep the various screws and other parts straight, and the magnetic mat helps keep them where you want them.

I do not find removing the glove box so difficult, but it is a little harrowing the first time because you feel like you're going to break something. Disconnecting the manual seat release is a pain and so I generally avoid it. The little clips that hold the glovebox on have a tendency to go flying, so I find it soothing to have a few extra on hand in case I can't find one. Scooterwest sells them and I'm sure SIP does, too; add a couple to your next order.

Good luck!
Hooked
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:18 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
It's much, much easier on your scootee Just keep track of your screws. Some folks even make drawings of the front and back and floor board.

Once all the screws are off from the floorboard, lift it from the front.
Thanks for the suggestion regards the screws
Hooked
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:25 am quote
Cube wrote:
I like this magnetic mat from iFixit for that -- you can draw or write whatever will help you keep the various screws and other parts straight, and the magnetic mat helps keep them where you want them.

I do not find removing the glove box so difficult, but it is a little harrowing the first time because you feel like you're going to break something. Disconnecting the manual seat release is a pain and so I generally avoid it. The little clips that hold the glovebox on have a tendency to go flying, so I find it soothing to have a few extra on hand in case I can't find one. Scooterwest sells them and I'm sure SIP does, too; add a couple to your next order.

Good luck!
Good info ta and need to get a magnetic mat like that.

Is it possible to position the glove box so the floor can be removed leaving the cable connected? No idea if the release cable is long enough to allow this.

I will order some spare clips for sure, looking at parts diagram it looks like I need these?
https://www.scooterwest.com/catalog/product/view/id/11187/category/1621/
Hooked
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:14 am quote
So I ended up ordering a few spare clips from Sip shop and somehow the Vespa espresso set of 4 cups found their way into the order

I found another vid showing the removal of the glove box and now thanks to the vids and advice I feel a lot calmer and look forward to the task. Got another 2 weeks before I get the Sprint as it has only just left Italy ... so excited

Thank you guys for the help
2018 Sprint 150
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:34 pm quote
TC3 wrote:
Is it possible to position the glove box so the floor can be removed leaving the cable connected? No idea if the release cable is long enough to allow this.
No, it won't reach the floor, but you can kind of hang it off the frame. If you need more space than that allows you, you'll have to remove the cable.
TC3 wrote:
I will order some spare clips for sure, looking at parts diagram it looks like I need these?
https://www.scooterwest.com/catalog/product/view/id/11187/category/1621/
That's them.
Hooked
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:57 am quote
Cube wrote:
No, it won't reach the floor, but you can kind of hang it off the frame. If you need more space than that allows you, you'll have to remove the cable.

Maybe I can use a stool alongside the scooter and protect from any paint damage using towels as just need to raise the floor up for the application of the rust proofing, I will figure it out
2019 Primavera 150, 2019 Honda Super Cub 125, 2017 Honda Metropolitan, 1965 Honda Super Cub 50 C110
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:30 am quote
Glove box tip
Be sure to protect the floorboard with a rag or tape when re-installing the glove box to prevent scratches.

Chris from CLE[/quote]
Hooked
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:40 am quote
Re: Glove box tip
ChrisFromCLE wrote:
Be sure to protect the floorboard with a rag or tape when re-installing the glove box to prevent scratches.

Chris from CLE
[/quote]

I will make sure I have plenty of rags and tape thanks as would not be to happy with myself if I scratch up something due to lack of preperation.
Lurker
2015 Vespa Primavera 150
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:09 pm quote
TC3 wrote:

I have the same model primavera as in Robotís primavera glove box removal demo and the glove box can rest on the left side of the scooter on the ground without removing backup seat release cable. I just changed my floorboard today.

Thereís a see-saw like plastic lever that needs to be positioned correctly before you reattach the glove box otherwise the glove box wonít open. I heard there was a rubber band trick but did not need it. Just observe how the key assembly actuates it when you push it inwards.

Be carefull with refastening the t30 bolts that fasten the left and right side behind the rubber covers. Its easily dropped inside the glovebox and you have to tear it open again to retrieve it. Donít ask me how I know
Hooked
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 pm quote
Vault Dweller wrote:
TC3 wrote:

I have the same model primavera as in Robotís primavera glove box removal demo and the glove box can rest on the left side of the scooter on the ground without removing backup seat release cable. I just changed my floorboard today.

Thereís a see-saw like plastic lever that needs to be positioned correctly before you reattach the glove box otherwise the glove box wonít open. I heard there was a rubber band trick but did not need it. Just observe how the key assembly actuates it when you push it inwards.

Be carefull with refastening the t30 bolts that fasten the left and right side behind the rubber covers. Its easily dropped inside the glovebox and you have to tear it open again to retrieve it. Donít ask me how I know
Thankyou for the tips. I think I will look for a magnetic t30 driver

Just 2 question did you see any rust on the inside of the panels? What about the floorboard is that as easy as Robot says it is to remove?
Lurker
2015 Vespa Primavera 150
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 am quote
TC3 wrote:
Just 2 question did you see any rust on the inside of the panels? What about the floorboard is that as easy as Robot says it is to remove?
No rust. The previous owner kept it parked indoors. I got it used same time last year so it's been parked outside on the street for a year now.

Floorboard is easier to remove. Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cVFCIL77A
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1413s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0456s) ][ Debug on ]