What's the problem here? (BV350)
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350, Yamaha C3
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:58 pm quote
I did the 12,000 mile service recently and everything went really well; way easier to service the transmission than my BV200!

Now, one thousand miles later, I've got some very disconcerting grinding and clunking coming from the rear wheel. On the center stand, I can wiggle the whole wheel quite a bit back and forth (maybe up to 1/4").

I'll have some time in the coming weeks to tear into it, but wonder what I"m getting myself into, if you have some ideas.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:55 pm quote
12k bv35o
Bearing almost for sure. Did you follow robots you tube covering Thi s service. If itís too much, Portland Vespa has the special tools.

You can buy a new bv350 and sell me your bv350.
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350, Yamaha C3
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:10 pm quote
Yep, Robot's Youtube video was instrumental in the initial 12k service. Like I said, it went very smoothly.

Unfortunately, there are fewer resources for tearing into the clutch and final drive.

Getting the rear tire off is a pain in the butt, too.

I drained the hub oil and found no metal shavings, so best case a bearing, worst case the splines somehow got striped on the final drive. I've got some PB Blaster sitting on the shaft overnight. Hopefully I can remove the tire tomorrow and see what's doing back there.

On the transmission side, there was no play in the bearing and all seals are still good.
Hooked
2016 BV350 White
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:14 pm quote
That's NOT good at all! It is likely to get worse and will cost you a lot of money to fix when it gets worse. Take the tire off and then re-install and torque every thing to spec. My similar problem got worse and cost me $1300 to fix at a shop. If that doesn't fix your problem, I would recheck your belt and rollers installation.
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350, Yamaha C3
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 am quote
bean counter wrote:
That's NOT good at all! It is likely to get worse and will cost you a lot of money to fix when it gets worse. Take the tire off and then re-install and torque every thing to spec. My similar problem got worse and cost me $1300 to fix at a shop. If that doesn't fix your problem, I would recheck your belt and rollers installation.
Hey, thanks for responding. I think I read your thread from a couple years ago. I seem to think the problem is similar to your's: Axle nut came loose and shredded up the spline in the hub of the wheel (if I remember correctly).

I started with draining the oil in the final drive and it looks to be free of debris, so I don't think there's internal damage. I then removed belt and driven pulley to get at the clutch. The shaft is nice and solid with no free-play. So that looks good. On the other side, I got the wheel off and it does seem to be loose on the splines. Got a new wheel from scooter west and it fits on nice and tight.

Problem solved?

Only, the clutch has a bit of movement in and out (on the axis of the shaft) and when you push it fully back and give it a twist, you can hear all the grinding that I heard previously. I'm wondering if I should just button it all back up, put in the new oil and then see what it sounds like. I'm not sure what kind of mess I might get into if I remove the final drive side cover!
Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:23 pm quote
Greetings:

The clutch shaft on ET4 does a similar thing when unbolted from it's fixed position with respect to the belt cover; grinding when pushing to starboard and spun. Different scooter, but you said gear oil was clear. Pulling my cover requires a new gasket to refit.
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350, Yamaha C3
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:29 am quote
That sounds like good news to me! I have a new O-ring, so I'll put it back together and see how it sounds.
Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:04 am quote
Devil's advocate
Greetings:

On the OTHER hand, if the wheel splines were munched, it isn't clear how you could get Drive at all. [/b]
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV350, Yamaha C3
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:07 am quote
Re: Devil's advocate
Wheelman-111 wrote:
Greetings:

On the OTHER hand, if the wheel splines were munched, it isn't clear how you could get Drive at all. [/b]
It feels like there is still some "bite" to the splines in the old hub. Mounting the new wheel does, indeed, feel much snugger with no wiggle back and forth.

I might have caught it just in time.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1339s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0277s) ][ Debug on ]