Using MP3 500 as a courier
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:03 pm quote
Hello everybody. New poster here

I have a 2016 MP3 that Iíve started using for my work as a Courier. I have been delivering food for the last six weeks about 40 hours a week of driving. The last six weeks Iíve probably logged in close to 2500 miles. Iíve been making good money being able to avoid traffic and always parking in front of the restaurants, also the cheap gas but Iím finding that at this pace Iím going to be spending a ton on maintenance. Maybe every six weeks major maintenance in the $800 range for my Bay Area. Is there anybody in this form that uses the MP3 for work
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:27 pm quote
You should bite the bullet and do the maintenance yourself. About the only time you might want the shop to do something for you is to change the tyres - but if you take the wheels off and take them in they may well do them while you wait rather than make an appointment for lift time, and it'll be a darn sight cheaper.

Belt, rollers, oil change are all easily done - the first time is always a bit intimidating, but watch the videos, read the manuals, buy the few tools needed and you'll save tons compared to shop time and shop parts mark-up.

You'll get loads of encouragement from members here. and there may well be someone near to you who can help out at first.

I always thought of the MP3 as an ideal courier bike.

Manuals here:
https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Piaggio/Piaggio%20MP3/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm quote
+1

What he said.

Everyone does everything they ever do for the first time, once.
Hooked
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:03 am quote
The hardest thing will be replacing the steering bearings.
Up to 6 hours work every 10k miles from my experience.
If you not technical could be an impossible job.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:02 am quote
Brasseye wrote:
The hardest thing will be replacing the steering bearings.
Up to 6 hours work every 10k miles from my experience.
If you not technical could be an impossible job.
I guess I"m lucky. Never replaced my steering bearings in ~46,000 miles.
Though you bring a good point; I grease mine every 10,000 miles or so..

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:03 am quote
Re: Using MP3 500 as a courier
Changokid wrote:

I have a 2016 MP3 that Iíve started using for my work as a Courier. I have been delivering food for the last six weeks about 40 hours a week of driving. The last six weeks Iíve probably logged in close to 2500 miles. Iíve been making good money being able to avoid traffic and always parking in front of the restaurants, also the cheap gas but Iím finding that at this pace Iím going to be spending a ton on maintenance. Maybe every six weeks major maintenance in the $800 range for my Bay Area. Is there anybody in this form that uses the MP3 for work
These scooters are high maintenance (changing two wheels instead of one at the front, so same for brakes - double), so you can consider them as luxury scooters, the maintenance is costly, but as jimc stated you can do some things yourself, what I suggest is to do the simple things as you don't have experience and then start doing more as you become more competent and some things even if you know how, make sure there is someone professional with you or leave it to them, I do the changing of oil, oil filter, spark plug and air filter, then when changing the brake pads, there is someone professional with me when I do it, but for the steering bearings I will give it to the dealer, just remember one point, saving money is good but not on the expense of your life, you are riding this scooter and your life depends on it. I am sure you were not planning to use it as courier but on the other hand, this is a temp situation so it will not be for long so you can afford to pay during this time, if you think you will be doing this for longer time, maybe consider to get a Yamaha Majesty or similar set of wheels, good luck.
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:42 pm quote
Having done many years as a courier I can tell you now you need a cheaper to maintain bike and you need to do as much maintenance yourself.

A big wheeled scoot or mc is best. You don't need to change tyres as often.
Something very common with cheap plentiful spares and used parts readily available.
2008 MP3 500
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 am quote
Re: Using MP3 500 as a courier
Changokid wrote:

Hey ChangoKid! I'm up in the north bay area. Don't use the MP3 much for work, but the first things I did when I got it used was replace the oil/oil filter/air filter/hub oil, etc. Had to replace a leaky tire valve (interesting experience), and next will probably be either brakes or spark plugs. I've worked on cars quite a bit, and these are easier. I could show you how to do your own maintenance if you'd like! Save $$$
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1340s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0361s) ][ Debug on ]