VBelt gone after 3000 miles.
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio MP3 300ie
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:14 pm quote
I service my mp3 300ie as per the schedule, and always change the belt @ around 6000 miles.
Just had to change mine and its only done 3000. was totally destroyed.

Luckily I have the old one that is still in excellent condition and will do me until I get a replacement.

Anyone had this before.

I am running stock except dr pulley rollers. tha I have had no issues with at all.

Anyone recommend another vbelt or should I just stick with stock.

vbelt2.jpg

vbelt1.jpg

Molto Verboso
lx 50
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:50 am quote
Itís not good but Iíd say itís just life, one of those things.
You can buy a brand new DVD and itíll be faulty out the box.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:15 am quote
Interesting that it lost it's teeth on the outside.

Something else going on in there? Debris? Malfunctioning component allowing the belt to run slack?
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:31 am quote
excessive heat can cause failure. it looks like top of belt may have been hitting housing? did you check for signs of rubbing?
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:13 am quote
this happens sometimes its a production fault

it wont break the bottumpart is still good
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:36 pm quote
If you have Dr Pulley sliders then your problem is that you haven't *also* added an extra 1mm washer between the variator halves. Without this the belt outer teeth will rub against the casing at the front. You've been lucky the belt went rather than the oil sump gasket, which can be very costly if not noticed in time.

This washer does the job:
https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/021-vespa/washer-disc-between-variator-and-pulley-17x32x1-3mm-for-pia

You add this washer to the crankshaft first, then the original one, then the driving pulley.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 am quote
jimc, my apologies, but which gasket? Haven't seen any inside the CVT, except the shaft oil gaskets, but the belt never touches them and they cost nothing to replace.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 am quote
Jah wrote:
jimc, my apologies, but which gasket? Haven't seen any inside the CVT, except the shaft oil gaskets, but the belt never touches them and they cost nothing to replace.
Beneath the CVT is the oil sump.
There is a front piece of this that can be removed (it holds the dipstick), and the gasket behind is what the belt can rub on and tear. If you trim the gasket so it doesn't stick up you can avoid the issue.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:54 am quote
Making a mental note for the next time I have the cover off.
Piaggio MP3 300ie
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:42 am quote
jimc wrote:
If you have Dr Pulley sliders then your problem is that you haven't *also* added an extra 1mm washer between the variator halves. Without this the belt outer teeth will rub against the casing at the front. You've been lucky the belt went rather than the oil sump gasket, which can be very costly if not noticed in time.

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/021-vespa/washer-disc-between-variator-and-pulley-17x32x1-3mm-for-pia

You add this washer to the crankshaft first, then the original one, then the driving pulley.
Been running the DR pulleys for a while now without any problems and even kept old belt, and put this back on to get me up and running again.

Only thing I did do was change pulleys as had done 20k on them, and did this same time as belt. Wondering now if I need to add this washer.

Thanks for the replies.
Piaggio MP3 300ie
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:03 am quote
Fuzzy Washer Getting Fitted with New Belt
baboon99 wrote:
jimc wrote:

Been running the DR pulleys for a while now without any problems and even kept old belt, and put this back on to get me up and running again.

Only thing I did do was change pulleys as had done 20k on them, and did this same time as belt. Wondering now if I need to add this washer.

Thanks for the replies.
Fuzzy Washer getting installed with a new belt today..see how that goes, as think JIMC is correct as I think the old belt I fitted is rubbing as I can feel it on low throttle. Must be the dr pulleys as the new one I put in were a gram heavier.
Will also trim the sump gasket just incase thanks Madison for the headsup

Had a result with vbelt after contacting customer support @ FowlersParts about the belt failing
They shipped a new belt free of charge next day delivery.
Fantastic service.
Piaggio MP3 300ie
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 am quote
jimc wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, JIMC was right as you can see from the pic the old belt was starting to go on the outer edge.
Definitely the 1g heavier dr pulleys causing this.
Fuzzy fitted and new belt.
Will check belt in a week

belt.jpg

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1507s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0273s) ][ Debug on ]