Strapping cargo to the rear folding rack
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:04 pm quote
I want to be able to take my camera bag with me on rides but I don't have any straps or tie-downs. It weighs 8 or 10 pounds (maybe more, I don't have a scale) and carries thousands of dollars worth of equipment, so I need something strong. Searching for short cargo straps isn't too helpful for me. I keep getting axle tie-downs or 8' long straps. I don't trust most of the "cable organizers" because they don't look like they're strong enough to keep the bag secure on a bumpy road.

Seeing the size of the bag on the Vespa, I'm thinking I may have to find a smaller bag and carry less equipment. The weight of that thing and up that high on the scooter could affect handling. I'm still too new at riding yet to try it out, but it looks pretty ominous.

Any ideas from some of you more experienced riders?

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:22 pm quote
8 to 10 pounds would be no problem as far as rear weight is concerned. I routinely carry 18 lbs (24 cans of beer...) and hardly feel it.

You could make a plywood box that the bag would fit in. Plus you could then lock it up more securely.
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 pm quote
I'd keep it on the floor between your feet, probably with a different bag and the handles attached to the curry hook with no slack. You won't have to keep turning your head to see if its still there.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:36 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
I'd keep it on the floor between your feet, probably with a different bag and the handles attached to the curry hook with no slack. You won't have to keep turning your head to see if its still there.
Good option.... they also make special bags to fit in the space....search "tunnel bags." Problem is that it makes mounting/dismounting more challenging.

Back to the cargo rack, cargo nets are pretty awesome for holding down cargo....strong, and reliable...pretty hard to mess up, and even if a hook is dislodged or something snaps, you're not going to lose anything.

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/black-cargo-net-3550-0166.p509501.prd/509501.sku
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:43 pm quote
jimc wrote:
8 to 10 pounds would be no problem as far as rear weight is concerned. I routinely carry 18 lbs (24 cans of beer...) and hardly feel it.
Good to know.
Quote:
You could make a plywood box that the bag would fit in. Plus you could then lock it up more securely.
I'm way too vain to do something like that.
Sledge wrote:
The bag's too big for that. If I got a smaller bag, I'd still want to mount it to the rack.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
Back to the cargo rack, cargo nets are pretty awesome for holding down cargo....strong, and reliable...pretty hard to mess up, and even if a hook is dislodged or something snaps, you're not going to lose anything.

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/black-cargo-net-3550-0166.p509501.prd/509501.sku
I would use a cargo net. They do come in different sizes so you could find one that fits your bag.

A question: is that bag waterproof? Look for a "dry bag" or "roll bag".
https://www.denniskirk.com/nelson-rigg/black-sahara-bag-se3000blk.p5000420.prd/5000420.sku
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:07 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
A question: is that bag waterproof? Look for a "dry bag" or "roll bag".
My bag is water resistant and has a waterproof slipcover. It's camera gear, so it needs specialized padded dividers to to protect the individual components - a camera body, 3 lenses and accessories. Regular bags made for motorcycles and scooters just aren't adequate. I don't have any trouble finding the right camera bag. What I wanted help with is a way to attach it to the fold-down rack on the back.
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:15 pm quote
You want to avoid having anything between your feet Jim preventing you from 'stepping thru' the frame whilst mounting and dis-mounting your scoot unless you are comfortable throwing your leg over the seat. Get that wrong and you could find yourself on the floor with 150 kilos of scoot sat on top of you.

I think you will find the bag quite stable sat on the rear rack as it is in your pictures. You just need some bungee cords or small ratchet straps pulled tight so the bag is firmly attached.
Hooked
lml 2t 150, Peugeot Django 125, Vespa TE4 50cc and a Xinling rat scooter 70cc
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:36 am quote
Strapped on back seat?
You know it's there as you will feel it resting against you. Saves keep looking in the mirrors to see if it's fallen off or not. Makes a good back rest to on longer trip's.
Hooked
2016 GTS 300
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:51 am quote
Sorry it's not relevant to you question, but I just LOVE the colour of that Vespa!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:38 am quote
You have several options. Easiest and least expensive is to get a set of ROK straps. They are the best straps for carrying anything on bike, boat, or well, anything. These adjust from 12-42" and I've never heard of one ever coming lose unintentionally. https://smile.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-ROK-10306-Black-Orange/dp/B00SXJM5MQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rok+straps&qid=1592051427&sr=8-4

Second which is how I carry my camera gear, Canon 7D with multiple lenses and travel size tripod is inside a locking top case. Mine is a Givi 47L. I like this best because it keeps the camera bag out of sight and locking provides some security since it is rare at least in the US for anyone to try and steal a top case or break into to get to its contents.

Third, classic floor rack in the tunnel which gives you a secure way to tie down your bag. The disadvantage to using it is that you have to step over instead of through which eliminates some of the beauty of using a Vespa for photo trips. I love mine but will admit I use it more for coffee than carrying things unless I'm going on a long trip or cannonball and need to carry gas. https://www.classic-racks.co.uk/footplates
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:55 am quote
+1 on ROK straps.

And, you can reverse the springs on the rack so it holds itself down.
Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:00 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
+1 on ROK straps.

+2 on rok straps. I've used many others over the years but these are by far the best.
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:14 am quote
Jim in NZ wrote:
Sorry it's not relevant to you question, but I just LOVE the colour of that Vespa!
Me too. I almost went for red and am so glad I changed my mind.
cdwise wrote:
Easiest and least expensive is to get a set of ROK straps. They are the best straps for carrying anything on bike, boat, or well, anything. These adjust from 12-42" and I've never heard of one ever coming lose unintentionally.
That's a great option for me, thanks (and thanks to Madison Sully & tom jones for your votes on those). The top case option would be good too, but that's a bit pricey for something that I wouldn't be using most of the time. The floor rack is interesting but even a smaller camera bag for me would be too big for that location.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:36 am quote
Jim, have you thought about a front rack?

That rear cargo bag looks mighty big. Make sure you don't exceed the the above-mentioned load.
Hooked
Primavera 150
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:40 am quote
I use a small net with hooks. Adaptable and strong (handles the beer).
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:58 am quote
Max6200 wrote:

That rear cargo bag looks mighty big. Make sure you don't exceed the the above-mentioned load.
Yes, I agreed above that my current bag seemed a bit large. I have other bags in storage, so I'll see if I have something I could use to pare down what I carry on a scooter photo trip.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:06 am quote
Jim McClain wrote:
Max6200 wrote:

Yes, I agreed above that my current bag seemed a bit large. I have other bags in storage, so I'll see if I have something I could use to pare down what I carry on a scooter photo trip.
Cool as to whether it's waterproof or not, a good spray Scotchgard will help.
Hooked
Vespa GTS
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:54 pm quote
I was to cheap to buy a rear bag and bolted a fabric cooler bag to the rear rack with half round pipe straps. It works great and provides some insulation to the contents.

I wonder if you could find a cooler bag big enough to contain your camera bag?
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:46 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
+1 on ROK straps.

+2 on ROK straps - everything else comes in 2 sizes - too short and too long.

I have also reversed the springs on my Sunny's rear rack.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:12 pm quote
Jim McClain wrote:
Max6200 wrote:

I've reached the point that most of the time I just take my 7D and a Tamron. 18-400 unless I'm going to be doing something that requires something. If I need a really long lens then the gumball needs to go along with a tripod or Mickey way gets the 7-11 1.4 lens and again as tripod.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:00 pm quote
Oh for the love of dog... Go to harbor freight and get some bungie cords, use them to attach this bag to the rack on your Vespa. Then move on to another of life's many problems, hopefully one that isn't quite so insurmountable.
Or you can follow the advice of some halfwit online who tells you to attach it to the bike with a chain and drag it behind you. The choice is yours.
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:42 pm quote
[ignoring Motovista...]

Discovered I had several camera bags in storage, so I'm trying this one out. It's considerably smaller but still holds the basics, saving me a couple pounds.

I ordered some ROK straps and they should be arriving soon. My guess is they are far superior to bungee cords, so thanks to those who suggested them. I'd be a halfwit to think stretchy elastic cords that deteriorate at the slightest provocation and with metal hooks that never seem to cover the scratchy, finish-damaging ends would be an acceptable solution. That's why I thought I'd let those who have been there, done that offer their ideas. Nice, supportive community here... mostly.
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:57 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Oh for the love of dog... Go to harbor freight and get some bungie cords, use them to attach this bag to the rack on your Vespa. Then move on to another of life's many problems, hopefully one that isn't quite so insurmountable.
Or you can follow the advice of some halfwit online who tells you to attach it to the bike with a chain and drag it behind you. The choice is yours.
Nice friendly encouragement for a new member.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:51 am quote
Touring300 wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Nice friendly encouragement for a new member.
OH PLeeease, as if you've never woke up on the wrong side of the bed before.
Enthusiast
P125X/Apr 500/CH150/P200
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 am quote
Givi makes some great tunnel bags. Some have handles and can be disconnected. I used one on my Scarabeo, I believe they have one for the GTS.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm quote
I've had my Zone VI view camera bag back there without issue. That's far beyond the stated weight limits. On long rides I'll have a heavy tool kit along with water and other stuff.

And of course, a Christmas tree....

071220_ride-36.jpg

Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:41 pm quote
I ordered a Saddlemen R1300LXE Deluxe Roll Bag from RevZilla and it came in today. I connected only 2 of the straps that came with it, then threw in some junk I didn't care about and took it for a bumpy ride to see if it would stay on. I wanted to be sure I could trust my camera equipment would be safe in it before I put any in there. Looks like it will work just fine. I have small, individual bags coming from B&G Photo to make up for the lack of regular camera bag padding.

I'm a little disappointed that the actual measurements are about an inch shy everywhere from the stated measurements. What, do they think they're selling me a 2X4? It'll do the job anyway and I'm happy to have it.

Hooked
2016 GTS 300
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:06 pm quote
Nice-looking bag; great scooter. Thanks for the photos, Jim.
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 pm quote
How exactly did VMS shoe horn that license pate frame above the reflector?

I was convinced I'm going to have to ditch that reflector plate piece to put a license plate frame on. As shown in this Robot video:

License Frame Mod on Vespa GTS 300 HPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYAGleWPhE
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 pm quote
My GTS didn't come with a license reflector, and I'm very OK with that.
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 pm quote
bosco12 wrote:
How exactly did VMS shoe horn that license pate frame above the reflector?
I don't know, that's the way it came. The plate is just a thin piece of cardboard. Still waiting for the new license plate to arrive. I'll be changing the license frame. I'm not a big fan of advertising and branding all over a product. I shaved all the badging off my Jeep and I'll be doing that with the Vespa too. I'll prob'ly leave the script on the front (I'd like to switch it to black), but most of the rest will have to go.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1719s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0443s) ][ Debug on ]