Funniest thing youíve found inside your scooter?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Addicted
2003 Piaggio BV 200, 2003 ET2 (sold)
Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 548
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 am quote
Was putting my BV 200 back together yesterday and found a socket still fitted onto what I assume is a pinch bolt for the steering column (itís just above my finger in the pic). Whatís funny is itíd been open for weeks and I almost didnít notice it before I put the panels back on.

But hey, free socket!

175A90CA-E665-45F6-90F8-E03802025A3B.jpeg

Hooked
Primavera 150
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 405
Location: Long Beach, CA
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 am quote
10mm??
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Joined: 05 Apr 2019
Posts: 276
Location: Cambridge, MA
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:54 am quote
woah!..score!...beats the heck out a pile of squirrel feces and acorns
Hooked
Joined: 22 Jan 2016
Posts: 139
Location: UK
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:42 pm quote
Pontedera Production Line Trash
An amusing find inside one of my Vespa's (a mint 2002 PX 200 disc in Baccharat, a real beauty) was Italian candy wrappings!

The Pontedera assembly line worker had clearly been munching away on some lemon chewy candy and couldn't be bothered to put the wrappings in a trash can so stuffed them under the gas tank, to be found by me six years later when I needed to fix a leak in the oil reservoir.

He surely took pride in his work! Not!
Enthusiast
BV250, BV500
Joined: 10 Mar 2018
Posts: 62
Location: SFBay
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:11 pm quote
Not much. One scooter I picked up with no keys had a hat and some crappy tools under the seat, and I've found cheap allen wrenches and old registration papers, along with screws and bolts that have fallen out. I did find a metal Levis button once. Otherwise just dirt and filth and mouse nests and lots of rotten old gasoline.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6472
Location: New Zealand
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 pm quote
That was the moment that young Francesca from marketing wandered past the assembly line, and Matteo lost track of his tools.
Addicted
2003 Piaggio BV 200, 2003 ET2 (sold)
Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 548
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:48 pm quote
I guess I should add that on my first Vespa, an old et2 that I kinda stored in the woods, I once removed the top case and found a whole colony (including a queen!!) underneath.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6137
Location: NWAOK
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 pm quote
Lots of wasp nests.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 828
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:26 pm quote
Re: Funniest thing youíve found inside your scooter?
Panamaniac wrote:
Was putting my BV 200 back together yesterday and found a socket still fitted onto what I assume is a pinch bolt for the steering column (itís just above my finger in the pic). Whatís funny is itíd been open for weeks and I almost didnít notice it before I put the panels back on.

But hey, free socket!
The post about Francesca from marketing distorted my perceptions somewhat as I had difficulty finding your finger in the picture. Once my mind stopped looking for Francesca's shapely calves, I recognized your finger and from there, your free socket.

Is it of decent quality?
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 314
Location: Norfolk, VA
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:46 am quote
Went with a friend to look at a used Buddy. I take it around the block (on 2 LOW tires because the seller didn't have a pump) and come back to make a deal. I pop the seat and there are 5 little sock monkeys under the seat!? Seller made sure the sock monkeys stayed with him!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8445
Location: KS USA
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:05 am quote
I knew I should not have lent my scooter to my friend.

Screenshot_20200616-140342.png

Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 214
Location: Chelyabinsk, Russia
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:44 am quote
A little Honda Dio came for repair. It missed a bulb in its headlight.
Once we've disassembled its front fairing, we found a burned bulb there. But... with another connector type. Finally we found out that someone has replaced the headlight assembly together with bulb connector, but the burned bulb had original connection type, the one which should be there according to model.

Another story: a friend had bought a heavily used Honda Silverwing. It had lots of sunflower seeds inside its front storage. Here sunflower seeds are kinda fodder of our local hilbillies, they spit shells everywhere, so it was funny to find out that the S-Wing definitely belonged to one of them.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Joined: 05 Mar 2016
Posts: 765
Location: Charleston SC
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:18 am quote
After my scooter had sat for about a week, I went out and found a nest of fire ants in the speedo housing right under the clear plastic. It was like one of those "Ant Farms" they used to sell. All of the ants were carrying larvae up and stashing them right there! I uncovered the scoot and started it, then began rapidly tapping on the plexi. All the workers began evacuating and taking the "babies" with them. In 15 minutes they were gone. I let the scooter idle for a while longer to give them time to vacate... you don't want fire ants crawling up your pants leg and stinging while cruising along at 50mph!
Addicted
2003 Piaggio BV 200, 2003 ET2 (sold)
Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 548
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 am quote
These are great, keep em coming!

And it was a 17mm, a bit rusty but of decent quality, a craftsman.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8445
Location: KS USA
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 am quote
rosscooter wrote:
After my scooter had sat for about a week, I went out and found a nest of fire ants in the speedo housing right under the clear plastic. It was like one of those "Ant Farms" they used to sell. All of the ants were carrying larvae up and stashing them right there! I uncovered the scoot and started it, then began rapidly tapping on the plexi. All the workers began evacuating and taking the "babies" with them. In 15 minutes they were gone. I let the scooter idle for a while longer to give them time to vacate... you don't want fire ants crawling up your pants leg and stinging while cruising along at 50mph!
That's not funny. It's monumentally tragic in operatic proportions.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:25 am quote
rosscooter wrote:
After my scooter had sat for about a week, I went out and found a nest of fire ants in the speedo housing right under the clear plastic. It was like one of those "Ant Farms" they used to sell. All of the ants were carrying larvae up and stashing them right there! I uncovered the scoot and started it, then began rapidly tapping on the plexi. All the workers began evacuating and taking the "babies" with them. In 15 minutes they were gone. I let the scooter idle for a while longer to give them time to vacate... you don't want fire ants crawling up your pants leg and stinging while cruising along at 50mph!
Mother nature is very adaptable, so she will continue her rhythms when we and our scooters are will gone in another life ...
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 828
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:50 pm quote
rosscooter wrote:
... you don't want fire ants crawling up your pants leg and stinging while cruising along at 50mph!
I often left my helmet resting on the mirror of my BMW GS after a ride to dry out.
(Yes I know it is not recommended but I haven't found any deterioration in the integrity of the polystyrene bits...)

I put on the helmet and fastened the strap. I pulled off and was not pleased to have an object crawling down the inside of the visor in my field of vision. I stopped, put out the side stand and the engine cut. I undid the strap and removed the helmet to discover that a brown spider has chosen to squat inside my helmet !

I am not overly arachnophobic, but I launched that helmet some distance onto the lawn !

Moral of the story?
Follow the helmet manufacturer's recommendations for not keeping your helmet on the mirror. It may just encourage insect intrusion in search of salt from your sweat.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Joined: 05 Mar 2016
Posts: 765
Location: Charleston SC
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
rosscooter wrote:
... you don't want fire ants crawling up your pants leg and stinging while cruising along at 50mph!
I often left my helmet resting on the mirror of my BMW GS after a ride to dry out.
(Yes I know it is not recommended but I haven't found any deterioration in the integrity of the polystyrene bits...)

I put on the helmet and fastened the strap. I pulled off and was not pleased to have an object crawling down the inside of the visor in my field of vision. I stopped, put out the side stand and the engine cut. I undid the strap and removed the helmet to discover that a brown spider has chosen to squat inside my helmet !

I am not overly arachnophobic, but I launched that helmet some distance onto the lawn !

Moral of the story?
Follow the helmet manufacturer's recommendations for not keeping your helmet on the mirror. It may just encourage insect intrusion in search of salt from your sweat.
I know we are getting a bit off-topic but I have had both a wasp (vespa?) and a bee fly onto my helmet while riding (not at the same time). I got my helmet off before the wasp stung me but not so lucky with the bee... right on the temple!
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Joined: 05 Apr 2019
Posts: 276
Location: Cambridge, MA
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm quote
fullface?
Hooked
2016 GTV 300 ABS
Joined: 14 Feb 2010
Posts: 212
Location: Andrews, TX
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:32 pm quote
A hideously-deformed human head under my seat. Scared the crap outta me - until I realized it was my face reflecting off my chrome half-helmet.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 214
Location: Chelyabinsk, Russia
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:59 am quote
rosscooter wrote:
I know we are getting a bit off-topic but I have had both a wasp (vespa?) and a bee fly onto my helmet while riding (not at the same time). I got my helmet off before the wasp stung me but not so lucky with the bee... right on the temple!
Yep, vespa. And a bee is ape [up-eh], which, as you might know, is a kinda lorry from Piaggio.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.5325s ][ Queries: 27 (0.1159s) ][ Debug on ]