OP
UTC

Enthusiast
ET2 MP3

Enthusiast
ET2 MP3
UTC quote
I've owned my MP3 for a few years now and think it's pretty groovy. One thing that has always chapped me though is Piaggio's laziness on the speedometer. If you are going to sell in a location, the primary numbers should be that locations measurement. (KM/H and MPH). Not only that, but the speedometer is several units off. I know there are some overlays one can stick on the speedo. That may be fine for some but still doesn't quite look right to me. (just my opinion) So I've been pondering and searching for a good solution.

My criteria were as follows:

1. Needs to be small / compact
2. Speed needs to be the primary focus (Speed is obvious at a glance)
3. Visible in all sorts daylight
4. Easy to mount without drilling holes
5. Have a quick attach / release so one can lock it under the seat if need be.

After trying a few GPS speedo devices, I think I've settle on the Meilan M3 Mini GPS Bike Computer!

Criteria met
1. As you can see, it's very small and light.
2. Speed numbers take up most of the screen along with additional numbers below that can be various things (Trip OD, Time, Altitude, etc)
3. Drove with the sun in various positions (direct, etc) numbers are quite visable
4. If you look at the link, you can see it comes with a base. That base also comes with a pair of zip ties. All I had to do was zip tie them to my mirror. No permanent damage.
5. The Speedo can easily attach and detach itself from the base that was zipped tied in #4. The only think is since the location I've attached the base to is not vertical, it doesn't technically "snap" into place like it should. However, in my driving around, this has not been an issue. The only thing I've noticed so far was when I was going through some rough gravel road work and the zip tied base started to move a bit. Perhaps some rubber sheath on the mirror arm might help but not too concerned.

The link goes in depth on all the features it has. For the size, it's a very capable device. It is battery operated and would need to be recharged from time to time. So far I've logged around 100 miles of highway and in town driving on the first charge. Those that have USB power nearby, probably could just keep it plugged in I would suppose. It also claims to have a backlight. I almost never have a need to drive at night so I have not tested this.

So there ya have it. Thought I'd share my results and hopefully someone else might find this useful.

Enjoy!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
US market is Piaggio smallest market in the world, we are lucky they sell them here at all with the low numbers sold and the expense it takes to get them through EPA certifications. Why would they make a speed-o that is only used in their smallest market?
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
I ordered one of these based on your review. I got it a few days ago and couldn't be happier with it.

I'm not using the supplied base but rather Velcro because I want to use it in other vehicles. My car speedo is off too and I finally get to see how fast my boat is. There is no cell phone service on the lake that I usually go to.

It's so much easier than a phone app or a regular bicycle speedometer because you don't have to mount a magnet and sensor, run the wire and calibrate it. Just turn it on and go.

It's water resistant so it won't hurt to get a little rain on it.

To activate the backlight push both buttons at the same time.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0694s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0336s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]