Robot Services a GTS 300 HPE, and...Yikes!
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2543
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 am quote
An HPE comes in for its 6k service...

[url]
[/url]

...and...whatzis? New belt and mandatory valve-check every 6,000 miles?

Ouch. Melody got the full Monty on her last check a few months back (12.5k), and while that wasn't a cheap visit, I had a good deal of stuff done, including a new battery and battery-tender harness. If I had an HPE, I suppose I'd just suck it up. But that's getting a bit more high-maintenance than I'd be comfortable with.

(Note to the mods: I only recently got hip to the new guidelines on posting YT links here, so I now understand why some previous posts of mine got yanked...thank goodness it wasn't something I said. Lemme know if I got it right or wrong this time out.)
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 3195
Location: London UK
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:47 am quote
Re: Robot Services a GTS 300 HPE, and...Yikes!
amateriat wrote:
An HPE comes in for its 6k service...

[url]
[/url]

...and...whatzis? New belt and mandatory valve-check every 6,000 miles?

Ouch. Melody got the full Monty on her last check a few months back (12.5k), and while that wasn't a cheap visit, I had a good deal of stuff done, including a new battery and battery-tender harness. If I had an HPE, I suppose I'd just suck it up. But that's getting a bit more high-maintenance than I'd be comfortable with.

(Note to the mods: I only recently got hip to the new guidelines on posting YT links here, so I now understand why some previous posts of mine got yanked...thank goodness it wasn't something I said. Lemme know if I got it right or wrong this time out.)
Its still wrong mate
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 3195
Location: London UK
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:50 am quote
Was this it?
I just post the link twice, one as is, the other with brackets
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTCeduHArc)
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 161
Location: San Francisco
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 am quote
My dealer will service your Vespa for free if you convince a friend to buy one, which is handy because I'm only a few weeks away from my 6250mi service.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2543
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:45 am quote
ashbrook wrote:
Was this it?
I just post the link twice, one as is, the other with brackets
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTCeduHArc)
Thanks, Ash, I still don't quite have that part of the new guidelines down.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8537
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:48 am quote
amateriat wrote:
ashbrook wrote:
Was this it?
I just post the link twice, one as is, the other with brackets
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTCeduHArc)
Thanks, Ash, I still don't quite have that part of the new guidelines down.
Use the URL tab and it will come through as a link.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38616
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:07 pm quote
Like this:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTCeduHArc[/url]
gives the clickable link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTCeduHArc
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 3195
Location: London UK
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 pm quote
I see the clickable link method.
Still like my brackets method. I assume both are permitted?
Enthusiast
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Joined: 07 Jun 2020
Posts: 66
Location: Finland
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm quote
How much ...?
I would be interest about the price of the 6k service. I have been a DIY man my whole Vespa life but getting old, slow and lazy. Robot makes it look oh so easy. Nice thing that new HPE. Maybe next summer....
Hooked
Yellow GTS
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 264
Location: Nashville, TN
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm quote
I did my 600 mile service last weekend and watched this video. I was surprised by the belt change and valve adjustment intervals as well. I plan to do my own service so labor charges won't be a big deal, but wow. It seemed scooter maintenance was expensive before and this isn't an improvement.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2543
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:13 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Like this:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTCeduHArc[/url]
gives the clickable link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTCeduHArc
Thanks, Jim. I feel pretty silly not knowing why all my other linked posts got bounced up to now.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38616
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm quote
ashbrook wrote:
I see the clickable link method.
Still like my brackets method. I assume both are permitted?
Brackets are fine, but they still require extra effort by *every* Chrome user who wants to follow the link. The [ URL ] tags are surely just as easy for the original poster, and require *no* extra effort by the potential Chrome audience.

So from an efficiency POV (let alone politeness) the URL tag method is surely preferable.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2543
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 pm quote
Re: How much ...?
kaukari wrote:
I would be interest about the price of the 6k service. I have been a DIY man my whole Vespa life but getting old, slow and lazy. Robot makes it look oh so easy. Nice thing that new HPE. Maybe next summer....
Let's just say my last service tab went well North of $700, but as mentioned before, included other stuff not usually needed in a 12k service (including a belt change that I believe wasn't needed, but I felt wasn't worth making a stink about this time around). My next service, barring anything weird happening beforehand, should be fairly cheap.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Joined: 07 Jun 2020
Posts: 66
Location: Finland
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:25 pm quote
Thanks for the figure amateriat. That indeed was a pretty penny. Makes me reconsider my thoughts to outsource at least the large service. In Finland the labor costs are probably even higher than in US. Parts I think are pretty much the same by looking from the net.

Maybe I continue my greasy career still for a while and save my pennies for HPE.
Molto Verboso
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Posts: 1159
Location: Ohio
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:24 pm quote
Is this the one where he does $350 to $450+ of parts and labor Ö.and Ö.

"Right, OK, $450 for this service - you did pop $20 worth of new rollers in there, right?" "NO??"

O.S.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2543
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:44 pm quote
kaukari wrote:
Thanks for the figure amateriat. That indeed was a pretty penny. Makes me reconsider my thoughts to outsource at least the large service. In Finland the labor costs are probably even higher than in US. Parts I think are pretty much the same by looking from the net.

Maybe I continue my greasy career still for a while and save my pennies for HPE.
Normally, the hit would be half that, but between new battery-plus-tender harness, and deciding on having the shop drop the engine for the valve-check (not certain that was listed as "mandatory" in my manual, just strongly recommended). If Melody and me are still an item by the time it hits 24k on the clock, I'll see about whether the valves get another look.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Houston Street, Manhattan, June 16: When life gets strange, a familiar ride helps a little.



Last edited by amateriat on Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2804
Location: East Anglia, The power house of the UK
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 pm quote
I wouldn't ever pass on a valve check amateriat. The valves can be a very surprising item to check and play with. Unexpected things happen and need to be picked up early if you are to avoid a nasty and expensive surprise.
Enthusiast
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Joined: 07 Jun 2020
Posts: 66
Location: Finland
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:53 am quote
I understand the importance of 600 mile first valvecheck and somehow also the first 6k. Check every 6k, based on my experience, is overkill and probably tells something about Piaggios trust concerning the new engine design. 12k for gts is quite enough and on safe side.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1875
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:23 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
I wouldn't ever pass on a valve check amateriat. The valves can be a very surprising item to check and play with. Unexpected things happen and need to be picked up early if you are to avoid a nasty and expensive surprise.
I have 43K miles on my GTS and have never had the valves checked. I've inquired with the technicians about having them checked and always get the same answer, "It's running fine. Don't worry about it."

Am I just riding a freak scooter? Do the valves on the GTS go out of adjustment that much?

Just curious.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6019
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:27 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
I wouldn't ever pass on a valve check amateriat. The valves can be a very surprising item to check and play with. Unexpected things happen and need to be picked up early if you are to avoid a nasty and expensive surprise.
I have 43K miles on my GTS and have never had the valves checked. I've inquired with the technicians about having them checked and always get the same answer, "It's running fine. Don't worry about it."

Am I just riding a freak scooter? Do the valves on the GTS go out of adjustment that much?

Just curious.
To me, valve checks are rather like checking brake pad liner thickness.
If you skip it, you only realize when it's too late there's a problem....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8537
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:47 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
I wouldn't ever pass on a valve check amateriat. The valves can be a very surprising item to check and play with. Unexpected things happen and need to be picked up early if you are to avoid a nasty and expensive surprise.
I have 43K miles on my GTS and have never had the valves checked. I've inquired with the technicians about having them checked and always get the same answer, "It's running fine. Don't worry about it."

Am I just riding a freak scooter? Do the valves on the GTS go out of adjustment that much?

Just curious.
Bet you have most power if you get them adjusted.
And your mechanic is clueless.
Problem without getting them adjusted is the intake gets looser and just taps louder, but the exhaust valves get tighter and can get tight enough over time you burn a valve and need to have a valve job done.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8537
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:49 am quote
kaukari wrote:
I understand the importance of 600 mile first valvecheck and somehow also the first 6k. Check every 6k, based on my experience, is overkill and probably tells something about Piaggios trust concerning the new engine design. 12k for gts is quite enough and on safe side.
No 600 mile valve adjustment, first one is at 6,000 miles.
I will do a 6,000 and a 12,000 and determine from there my interval.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie , Yamaha tricity & T-max 530
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 1159
Location: essex united kingdom
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:32 pm quote
As seen in video - valves needed no adjustment , rollers were fine and most likely belt would last to the old 9000 mile intervals
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 2543
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:29 pm quote
super-fly wrote:
As seen in video - valves needed no adjustment , rollers were fine and most likely belt would last to the old 9000 mile intervals
SoooÖPiaggio's being initially gun-shy regarding the early run of the HPE, perhaps? Not necessarily a bad move, except for the added expense for the owner. Time alone will tell.
Hooked
Gts 300
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 143
Location: HaÔfa, IsraŽl
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
super-fly wrote:
As seen in video - valves needed no adjustment , rollers were fine and most likely belt would last to the old 9000 mile intervals
SoooÖPiaggio's being initially gun-shy regarding the early run of the HPE, perhaps? Not necessarily a bad move, except for the added expense for the owner. Time alone will tell.
I was also surprised. So itís a new and more modern engine but it needs more maintenance. Why is it so? I read somewhere that itís also running faster rpm for same speed. A friend of mine bought it and I compared it with my 2017 gts300. Accelerates much harder and smoother also. Really enjoyable. But why a slower top speed, a so difficult access to oil filling and closer services for belt and valve adjustment? Maybe higher rpm...
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2804
Location: East Anglia, The power house of the UK
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:30 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
I wouldn't ever pass on a valve check amateriat. The valves can be a very surprising item to check and play with. Unexpected things happen and need to be picked up early if you are to avoid a nasty and expensive surprise.
I have 43K miles on my GTS and have never had the valves checked. I've inquired with the technicians about having them checked and always get the same answer, "It's running fine. Don't worry about it."

Am I just riding a freak scooter? Do the valves on the GTS go out of adjustment that much?

Just curious.
Hi, yes the valves do go out of adjustment, as you can see from reading many MV posts over the years and the problems it has caused. The Vespa uses screw and locknut adjusters which are not as robust in terms of holding their adjustment as bucket and shim. Bucket and shim adjusters hardly ever need adjustment but the former does. I always do a valve check on my own bike and customers bikes. I often find valves needing adjustment at various mileages. Some owners on here have just ignored the valve check and had to pay the price to get it fixed. The damage it can do to the engine is expensive to put right and it can lead to catastrophic engine failure in extreme cases. Symptoms can be varied and can seem to occur very quickly. But by then the damage is often already done, requiring a strip down to fix it. I'd get yours checked straight away, it's very easy to do yourself if you can diy a little. Even adjusting them is not hard. You don't need any special tools except the feeler gauge and a gasket or two. So far you may have been lucky but your engine may already be suffering damage and you won't know it, even if you engine appears to be running ok. It sounds like you have fallen into the trap that many others have fallen into without realising the issues that will occur. And they will occur.

I'd get rid of your mechanic who has been giving you very bad advice in the hope you will soon have a big problem for him to sort out. He'll make a huge amount of money out of you at some point if you go on ignoring the valve check. Ignoring the valve check is as bad as not changing the oil and filter, yet you do that everytime. Why not do the valves at the right time? It's the best preventative maintenance you can do, and it keeps the motor very sweet for ever.
Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie , Yamaha tricity & T-max 530
Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 1159
Location: essex united kingdom
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:54 am quote
The GTS in the video will more likely have engine damage from low oil before the valves cause that , Owner clearly never checks any fluid levels
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 161
Location: San Francisco
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 am quote
arh wrote:
I read somewhere that itís also running faster rpm for same speed. A friend of mine bought it and I compared it with my 2017 gts300. Accelerates much harder and smoother also. Really enjoyable. But why a slower top speed, a so difficult access to oil filling and closer services for belt and valve adjustment? Maybe higher rpm...
Looks like they both go to 9000.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 7.55.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 7.56.07 AM.png

Hooked
Gts 300
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 143
Location: HaÔfa, IsraŽl
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:02 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
arh wrote:
I read somewhere that itís also running faster rpm for same speed. A friend of mine bought it and I compared it with my 2017 gts300. Accelerates much harder and smoother also. Really enjoyable. But why a slower top speed, a so difficult access to oil filling and closer services for belt and valve adjustment? Maybe higher rpm...
Looks like they both go to 9000.
This is useful! Thanks a lot.
I donít know whatís the source but obviously the top speed figures are wrong as everyone agrees that the hpe is a bit slower.
Hooked
Gts 300
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 143
Location: HaÔfa, IsraŽl
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 pm quote
@Mayorofnow Just saw the blue link. Fantastic asset this Vespa book thanks for sharing. So Vespa claims that the hpe is faster. Will take the time to read it carefully.
Member
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Joined: 16 Feb 2020
Posts: 44
Location: Northern California
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 pm quote
The Fine Print
arh wrote:
So Vespa claims that the hpe is faster. Will take the time to read it carefully.
Um, 120 kph = 75 mph !
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2804
Location: East Anglia, The power house of the UK
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:43 pm quote
The 2016 GTS tested on the dyno is clearly in need of new belt and rollers (edit: after checking it's not). It's down on top speed by quite some. My 2016 euro3 bike easily hits 78mph gps (indicated 83mph). Although I notice on that chart the 2016 bike is also not quite right with it's power output either. It looks pretty much the same as the Euro4 model figures (edit: because it is a Euro4).

My 2016 GTS when dyno'ed had 16.4hp at 7,600rpm at the rear wheel. That's over 22.5hp at the crank. My torque figure was 22.5nm at 5050rpm. That was on a well serviced inertia dyno capable of testing up to 50hp, so it's pretty accurate. Also, an average of three runs. My figures are not uncommon for well serviced 2014 bikes onwards.

EDIT: yes after checking the Vespa figures published in their booklet, they are comparing the new HPE model with the Euro4 bikes. The Euro4 bikes are lower on power and top speed than the Euro3 bikes like mine. The HPE jumps forward, increasing power but not top speed. We got just a few Euro4 bikes in late 2016 so that's what confused me.
Member
Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Posts: 7
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:44 am quote
Was it just me or did Robot seem a bit nonplussed in this video about the service requirements on the new HPE bikes?
Enthusiast
07lx190(sold big mistake),09gts250,13bv350(sold),10lx190(pink)
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 86
Location: Cameron park ca
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 am quote
On the subject of valves . 2002 Tacoma 2.7l 256,000 miles. Engine shaked at idle in drive while stopped . Turned out all exhaust valves were way out of spec and 2 of them had 0 clearance . Saw nothing in maint schedule to do valve check . So if you have a high mileage older 2.7 you might want to check them . Lucky my nephew mechanic told me to check them . Hoping to hit 500,000 miles on my BABY . So.lucky I didnít burn a valve . These engines have shims over bucket .
Hooked
Gts 300
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 143
Location: HaÔfa, IsraŽl
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 pm quote
valval wrote:
On the subject of valves . 2002 Tacoma 2.7l 256,000 miles. Engine shaked at idle in drive while stopped . Turned out all exhaust valves were way out of spec and 2 of them had 0 clearance . Saw nothing in maint schedule to do valve check . So if you have a high mileage older 2.7 you might want to check them . Lucky my nephew mechanic told me to check them . Hoping to hit 500,000 miles on my BABY . So.lucky I didnít burn a valve . These engines have shims over bucket .
Incredible story there. You mean you did 256000 miles without checking valves?! By itself 256000 miles is huge. I wish i could 1/3 with my 300 gts.

Furthermore if I understood you correctly it also means that valve adjustment arenít really a must as you survived all those miles without.

Edit : just realized a Tacoma isnít a Vespa 😂 makes my remark less relevant then
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 525
Location: Limassol, Cyprus
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 pm quote
Oldude wrote:
Was it just me or did Robot seem a bit nonplussed in this video about the service requirements on the new HPE bikes?
I got the same impression. I suppose it's a conundrum for dealerships. The decreased service time intervals should mean more work for the maintenance department, but this might also have a detrimental effect on sales of the HPE.
Hooked
Gts 300
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 143
Location: HaÔfa, IsraŽl
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:45 pm quote
Touring300 wrote:
Oldude wrote:
Was it just me or did Robot seem a bit nonplussed in this video about the service requirements on the new HPE bikes?
I got the same impression. I suppose it's a conundrum for dealerships. The decreased service time intervals should mean more work for the maintenance department, but this might also have a detrimental effect on sales of the HPE.
Decreased service time by the oem isnít really a sign of confidence. Unless itís a Ducati running at 16000 rpm, it wonít send the right message on the hpe.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2804
Location: East Anglia, The power house of the UK
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:53 pm quote
arh wrote:
valval wrote:
On the subject of valves . 2002 Tacoma 2.7l 256,000 miles. Engine shaked at idle in drive while stopped . Turned out all exhaust valves were way out of spec and 2 of them had 0 clearance . Saw nothing in maint schedule to do valve check . So if you have a high mileage older 2.7 you might want to check them . Lucky my nephew mechanic told me to check them . Hoping to hit 500,000 miles on my BABY . So.lucky I didnít burn a valve . These engines have shims over bucket .
Incredible story there. You mean you did 256000 miles without checking valves?! By itself 256000 miles is huge. I wish i could 1/3 with my 300 gts.

Furthermore if I understood you correctly it also means that valve adjustment arenít really a must as you survived all those miles without.

Edit : just realized a Tacoma isnít a Vespa 😂 makes my remark less relevant then
Also note his vehicle uses Bucket & Shims to control the valve clearances. They do go out of adjustment as he found out, but it's much more rare for that too happen with Bucket & Shim. Our Vespas need checking often because we use screw and locknut which goes out of adjustment much more easily.

My Burgman 400 uses Bucket & Shim adjustment. At 16000 miles it needed adjustment of the exhaust valves. Yet other Burgman 400's that I serviced often would go 30000 miles before needing adjustment. Many Vespas that I've serviced have needed adjustment early on in life at 12000 or 24000. Usually exhaust valves, but sometimes it's the inlet too. If you use car oil to lubricate you're engine (I hope no one is), it's more likely to need a valve adjustment early.
Hooked
Gts 300
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 143
Location: HaÔfa, IsraŽl
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:04 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
arh wrote:
valval wrote:
On the subject of valves . 2002 Tacoma 2.7l 256,000 miles. Engine shaked at idle in drive while stopped . Turned out all exhaust valves were way out of spec and 2 of them had 0 clearance . Saw nothing in maint schedule to do valve check . So if you have a high mileage older 2.7 you might want to check them . Lucky my nephew mechanic told me to check them . Hoping to hit 500,000 miles on my BABY . So.lucky I didnít burn a valve . These engines have shims over bucket .
Incredible story there. You mean you did 256000 miles without checking valves?! By itself 256000 miles is huge. I wish i could 1/3 with my 300 gts.

Furthermore if I understood you correctly it also means that valve adjustment arenít really a must as you survived all those miles without.

Edit : just realized a Tacoma isnít a Vespa 😂 makes my remark less relevant then
Also note his vehicle uses Bucket & Shims to control the valve clearances. They do go out of adjustment as he found out, but it's much more rare for that too happen with Bucket & Shim. Our Vespas need checking often because we use screw and locknut which goes out of adjustment much more easily.

My Burgman 400 uses Bucket & Shim adjustment. At 16000 miles it needed adjustment of the exhaust valves. Yet other Burgman 400's that I serviced often would go 30000 miles before needing adjustment. Many Vespas that I've serviced have needed adjustment early on in life at 12000 or 24000. Usually exhaust valves, but sometimes it's the inlet too. If you use car oil to lubricate you're engine (I hope no one is), it's more likely to need a valve adjustment early.
Thanks Stromrider. Definitely going for it during my 30000kms service in a few days.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1946s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0511s) ][ Debug on ]