Any current opinions on replacement 8" forks (for allst
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
Vespa VBB, Allstate VNB
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:18 pm quote
New member, long time lurker.

Currently taking the newfound available free time and nervous energy to push ahead on the rebuild of both a VBB2 and a '61 Allstate (vnbish) that have been in the basement for around 20 years.

First up - I did do a bit of a search in the forum to see if this question had been answered; apologies if I missed a thread where it was discussed, please point me in that direction if it exists.

The question: As I no longer have the original fork and swing arm for the allstate (apparently they were problematic)--are there any recommendations on replacement 8" forks that are currently available? The intent of this is to be a grocery getter and putt around town in; though I am moving the 150 head/piston from the VBB to the VNB and putting a 177 on the VBB so there will be a bit more speed than the stock 125.

I don't mind replacing bearings and doing some rebuilding if I can figure out what's needed. What I see right now on Ebay is a lot of similar looking options with different prices, what I see from the shops are a lot of things out of stock; hoping someone has some recent experience (or tips on what to swap out if I go with a bajaj or similar).

Thanks.
Molto Verboso
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:49 am quote
patrickash wrote:
New member, long time lurker.

Currently taking the newfound available free time and nervous energy to push ahead on the rebuild of both a VBB2 and a '61 Allstate (vnbish) that have been in the basement for around 20 years.

First up - I did do a bit of a search in the forum to see if this question had been answered; apologies if I missed a thread where it was discussed, please point me in that direction if it exists.

The question: As I no longer have the original fork and swing arm for the allstate (apparently they were problematic)--are there any recommendations on replacement 8" forks that are currently available? The intent of this is to be a grocery getter and putt around town in; though I am moving the 150 head/piston from the VBB to the VNB and putting a 177 on the VBB so there will be a bit more speed than the stock 125.

I don't mind replacing bearings and doing some rebuilding if I can figure out what's needed. What I see right now on Ebay is a lot of similar looking options with different prices, what I see from the shops are a lot of things out of stock; hoping someone has some recent experience (or tips on what to swap out if I go with a bajaj or similar).

Thanks.
I would not install an Indian setup; too much junk. I would either go with an Allstate fork with a stiff spring/Pinasco drum or find a complete VNB/VBB fork.

I do have several Allstate forks as well as quality aftermarket parts to make them fairly nice.

FC3722AC-6A81-489B-8AD5-79D91ADA3684.jpeg

Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 am quote
I put a Bajaj fork into my VBB to replace a seriously bent OG fork, but only after throwing away most of the Bajaj parts. The axle was welded to the hub off center, for example, so it was unusable. The fork had been wrapped with protective plastic before the paint was dry, so the plastic was stuck to the paint, etc.

If all you need is the tube, then the Bajaj is probably tolerable with enough work, but in general, it's a desperation play for when you can't find the proper part.

Go with Gickspeed and let him hook you up. You'll be glad you did.
Lurker
Vespa VBB, Allstate VNB
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:02 pm quote
Thanks for the info; what I'm hearing is
VBB>>original Allstate with better spring>original pogo stick configuration>>>>bajaj

For modifying the original setup - is there a way to add the dampener or is that too kludgy to fit in?

I don't believe I have any of the original fork assembly (or the swingarm); so I'll be starting from scratch.

Anyone sitting on a pile of VBB forks?
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:46 pm quote
You can contact ScooterWorks and see if they have any left or will get some soon. They said they have a new supplier with better forks that they even guarantee the price and shipping if they are not right.

https://www.scooterworks.com/Front-Fork-Assembly-8-Wheel-VNB-VBB-60s-Vespa-P13577.aspx
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:29 am quote
Hit up GickSpeed , Jonathan won't steer you wrong.
Hooked
64 V90 survivor, 75 V90 graffiti
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:03 pm quote
Absolutely agree about Gickspeed.
He only does things right. You will not be disappointed
Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:09 pm quote
A local in town here got a fork from India; I saw it, it looked solid.
Hooked
1960 Allstate VNA, 1962 VNB
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 pm quote
exmayor wrote:
Absolutely agree about Gickspeed.
He only does things right. You will not be disappointed
I too agree about Gickspeed. His work is pro.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBwNn8ylsJI/?igshid=1m5fx1l5n3vic
Hooked
58 VB1T, 68 SS180, 81 100 Sport
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm quote
Another plug for Gickspeed. Jon will take care of you guaranteed! He knows straight shooter, knows what works, knows Allstates well; and will take care right!

Choose original ITALIAN parts over indian Every Single Time.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1492s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0376s) ][ Debug on ]