Am I asking too much?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:22 pm quote
Posted my scoot for sale...

2014 GTV (Uberfarkled)/Charleston, SC

I felt it was a fair price but not even an inquiry. Am I asking too much or is the GTV just an oddball?

Thanks...
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:42 pm quote
Price doesn't seem out of line but maybe take out "FIRM" price. Everything in life is negotiable. You're going to take a loss no matter how much you get for it and the loss is dependent on how badly you want to move the bike.

You didn't say how many miles.

Looks like a clean bike. You put it on CL as well?

For reference, my 2009 GTV 250 with 19K miles was totaled last year. The extras I had were top case, tall screen, OEM crash bars, Scooterwest LED kit, Stebel, maybe a few other things. I got ~$4100 IIRC from Progressive Insurance. I thought it quite generous.

Best
Miguel
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:43 pm quote
Re: Am I asking too much?
rosscooter wrote:

2014 GTV (Uberfarkled)/Charleston, SC

I felt it was a fair price but not even an inquiry. Am I asking too much or is the GTV just an oddball?

Thanks...
Around here the answer would be yes, you are asking too much. The scooter in nearly lying 7 years old and no matter how clean and we'll maintained you are at least $1,000 too high.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:47 pm quote
you need more pix. like, several beauty shots from the front, the other side and at 3/4 with the wheel turned. personally i'd put the split seat on for most of those as well as the stock screen. this one shows the bench and the pipe and the tat, which is fine. but take a grip of pics in different configurations. also, lay out all the crap you have that comes with it on a clean, uncluttered surface (i don't need to know what kind of dining table you have or what your kitchen counters are made of).

mileage and service history. are you the original owner. do you have the brown key and additional blue copies?

lose uberfarkled, it's apparent from the photos.

also, please, and i know this is a matter of taste, but lose the headlight brow.

what makes a GTV a GTV? the split seat and fender light.

remember, not everybody's tastes are the same.

finally, selling anything right now sucks. selling anything that's more than a few hundy and you can't jam in a box and fire off to somebody? even worse.

rewrite/reword/edit your ad and see if you get any nibbles. if nothing in a week knock 500 off.

i think the price is in the ball park, but to me just because you have all those extras doesn't mean jack. if i was hustling, i'd pick it up and sell all the crap i didn't want. but, then that means dealing with dumb questions, haggling over price, procuring payment, boxing something up and taking it to be shipped. and that's a pain i don't need for $40 worth of whatever.

just my $0.02

-g
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:49 pm quote
Iíd say youíre too high. Used 300s are fetching low 4k here and we ride year round. If you did some engine mods you could maybe use that to your advantage but an exhaust doesnít count. Youíve also painted yourself into a corner with all the chrome/accessories. Someone REALLY has to like that look.

Iíd say take all the chrome off and sell it on ebay, go back to stock exhaust and try for $3750.
Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:17 pm quote
The scooter market around here in Charleston seems slow.......I've got a mint Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie I can't sell for $1950.
Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR, BV 350 ABS/ASR
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:36 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
Price doesn't seem out of line but maybe take out "FIRM" price. Everything in life is negotiable. You're going to take a loss no matter how much you get for it and the loss is dependent on how badly you want to move the bike.

For reference, my 2009 GTV 250 with 19K miles was totaled last year. The extras I had were top case, tall screen, OEM crash bars, Scooterwest LED kit, Stebel, maybe a few other things. I got ~$4100 IIRC from Progressive Insurance. I thought it quite generous.

Best
Miguel
Based on Miguelís post he got $4,100 for a 2009 GTV, yours is a 2014 so you should get more. Remember, a new GTV is $9,000 granted itís a HPE but still...
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:06 pm quote
It looks like you might have spent more on the accessories than the bike, which might be OK for some but most people are just looking for good price on a clean, low mileage bike with a good service record. If you can find someone that wants all that stuff they might pay extra. When I bought mine I wanted a front rack, top case, crash bars and a windshield. I found one and the price was no more than the stripped down ones that I was looking at. How about removing some of the extras and selling them separately? Maybe even offering them to the buyer at a discount.
Addicted
2006 GT200L "Lone Star"-Sold, 2006 Yamaha Majesty YP400
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:24 pm quote
Agree with the others.

The farkling reflects your individual tastes. For a lot of potential buyers, that's stuff they'll want to remove/replace with their individual tastes. I see it all the time with Harleys being overpriced and overdecorated-I'm not going to pay for hundreds or thousands of dollars' worth of chrome. Maybe .30 on the dollar.

More pics will help.

Widen your audience. CL, eBay Motors, etc. The more people who see your ad, the more likely the sale. I put my GT200 on MV, no interest. I put it on CL, and got 4 offers in 2 weeks, including one offer over my asking price if I'd cancel the deposit a different buyer had already put down.

Also, set your price at a trigger point for a computer search engine, like-$XX95.00. It's only $5 less, but search engine parameters will show it to them, where the computer might ignore the even amount. Realtors do this as a rule on house prices.

I wish you luck.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS / 78 P200 / ET4x2 / ET2 / GT60x2 /16 Prima Anniversary/ 03 a Ruckus / 2021 Sean Wotherspoon x2 / 2013 946
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:04 pm quote
Miles are not disclosed and tbh I would remove the aftermarket items, it will sell faster. Sell the accessories on MV classifieds.

SDG
Ossessionato
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:56 pm quote
Budz wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Best
Miguel
Based on Miguelís post he got $4,100 for a 2009 GTV, yours is a 2014 so you should get more. Remember, a new GTV is $9,000 granted itís a HPE but still...
Hah! The insurance company paid me full replacement value for all the accessories which really boosted value. One way to interpret my comments is that Ross's scooter is worth more totaled than selling it on the open market if he uses Progressive Insurance!!

Miguel
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:22 pm quote
Looks good but way over chromed. I don't have any reference for price though. I know someone in the market and I'll tell him to look.

And yes, Progressive did me good as well with a insurance claim! Good/easy to deal with as well.
Hooked
BV 350 ABS/ASR
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:32 pm quote
You been given some great advice. Pics (Greasy) your farkles (Vintage Red) and other comments.Price is relative and regional.

For me FIRM PRICE = I don't really want to sell but if I get this $$$$$ I will.

KBB says about $4500 selling, trade in at $3100.

NADA for my area says average retail is $3170

Some one looking for their first Vespa is looking for, well a scooter. Your GTV is a unique bird. I like them personally. Then you have a "retro mod" look going on.Loose the stickers, the tunnel bag, the big lights, add stock shield and put the 2 seat back on and re-post.

Mileage? Maintenance? Stock exhaust? Original owner etc.. Would you support a fly n'ride? Help with shipping?

The buyer would need a truck or trailer to pick all this stuff up.

Most folks won't know what half the stuff you listed is. eg. Cycleshell cover. It's basically a folding soft shell garage! http://www.cycleshell.com/

Mitts? I already have gloves. I need mittens?

Posting here is posting to an "scooter-educated" (crosses fingers) group.

There's CL, Cycletrader, ebay and other forums.

Start selling the stuff off.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:46 am quote
Some good points here so I can't add much. The GTV is a great scoot but maybe harder to sell than a GTS. However people that like the GTV tend to really like it so there is that. Yes, put the original saddle back on and remove some of the extras. Crash bars absolutely keep on along with the exhaust.

Upgrades almost never see a ROE unless you find the right buyer. I have done a lot to my GTV as well and know I will never get back what I put in cost wise. Most potential buyers just want a Vespa and have no idea what a kitted Vespa is yet alone the value of one. The new HPE models will also eat in to the value of the pre HPE scooters at least to the educated buyer.

Good luck! During this place we find ourselves in history may also make selling things harder but the right buyer is out there for the right price.
Hooked

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:36 am quote
Yes, youíre asking too much. Iíll eliminate this worry from your life for $500
Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:34 am quote
fried okra wrote:
The scooter market around here in Charleston seems slow.......I've got a mint Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie I can't sell for $1950.
You have it listed anywhere?

As far as the GTV, you will need to find someone who wants exactly what you are offering. If it was stock without all the bling, you might have a wider range of interested buyers, but all that bling will definitely bring the pool of interested people to a bare minimum. Put it back to stock and take really nice pictures and you should be able to sell without a problem.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:02 am quote
Good points, all. I will post some more pics, maybe some with the original seat. I know all the stickers on the shield could come off and would be happy to remove them for a buyer but for now.... Thanks for the input.
Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:32 am quote
You get sound advice, and decide to leave things as is. No potential buyer is going to bother seeing his new scooter underneath all of your flair. I look at it and see a Vespa that's not sure if its a GTV or GTS. As mentioned by others, all of your add ons will not increase what you get for your bike. Car, truck, scooter, strip off all the accessories and sell them on their own.
Sergeant at Arms
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:06 am quote
rosscooter wrote:
Good points, all. I will post some more pics, maybe some with the original seat. I know all the stickers on the shield could come off and would be happy to remove them for a buyer but for now.... Thanks for the input.
oh, so this was an exercise in mental masturbation?

maybe, kinda, sorta i wanna sell it-- but only if i get what i want or top dollar for it!!

broham. lemme tell you, when you can roll into a dealer and put a smooth G down and pay a hundy a month ain't nobody selling nothing at beaucoup bucks.

and right now? nobody on nobody is splashing the pot.

if you want to sell it, prep it for sale. don't fiddle fuck around with the whole: oh, for the right buyer i'd do this or that; if you're serious, i'll include all this extra nonsense. that all smacks of some craig's list nickle dick time waster bullshittery.

present it as it sits with your price, or present it as the best possible item that could appeal to a larger audience. keep it brief, state the facts, have some good pics, price accordingly against comps. serious buyers know what they're looking for.

i know that if i was searching for one and came across an ad that showed a seemingly stock bike with clearly stated descriptions and good pics i'd be interested. if the ad also said: "have another single seat as well as additional aftermarket chrome and accessories." that would probably pique my interest.

but whatever man. you do you. good luck on your sale.

-g
Enthusiast
Piaggio BV500
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:30 am quote
It's great to ask for feedback--I'll probably echo what others have said, but I recent experience getting top dollar for used cars and motorcycles.

Here's my process:

First, wash, detail, polish, fix stone chips, any other damage, scrapes, road tar, etc.

Take a TON of photos from all angles, up close, the scooter in its native habitat, etc. Upload to a Google Photos album, and have the link handy to people who inquire. They want closeups of any damage, the engine, tires, everything. No one wants to drive an hour to find out it has a dent that they missed in a photo.

Some people want extras, some don't. Describe the bike, then list extras if you'd like in a bulleted list.

Post your ad to Cycletrader (pay the $15) and Craigslist ($5), in addition to Modernvespa.com. The more exposure, the better.

I always want to know the year, model, and miles. Add Vespa to the title too. Maintenance, how many owners, and I'd leave off firm on price. Most people assume they can get it for $500 less than what you're asking.

Also, be a serious seller who wants to sell it. I will give a wide berth to overpriced and reluctant sellers. Give the buyer the impression that you're easy to deal with and that you want to sell it--you will get more inquiries ... esp. if you post to Cycletrader and Craigslist. If I saw your long list of upgrades and customizations in an ad, I'd assume you wanted extra money for them and the bike is definitely overpriced. You may actually get more interest if you list only the custom exhaust and leave everything else off.

Good luck! Give it a try and see how it goes, but I'd work on sounding like a motivated seller who's not asking for extra money because of all the aftermarket stuff and you'll have better luck.
BV 350, Suzuki VanVan, Triumph Street Twin
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 am quote
Greasy nailed it. Is it 'worth' $4500...sure, maybe, if I knew you and how fanatical you are about maintenance and care. Will you get that...not likely. Scooters are a subset of the two wheel world. Farkles, in my experience made the bike mine but do little at resale. I agree with the others: drop the price by a grand and see how many nibbles you get. You don't have to take any of them, but clearly this price point is not even drawing people out. It sucks, but your stuff is almost never worth what you think it is.
JEB
Sergeant at Arms
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 am quote
Quote:
First, wash, detail, polish, fix stone chips, any other damage, scrapes, road tar, etc.

Take a TON of photos from all angles, up close, the scooter in its native habitat, etc. Upload to a Google Photos album, and have the link handy to people who inquire. They want closeups of any damage, the engine, tires, everything. No one wants to drive an hour to find out it has a dent that they missed in a photo.
all of this. i sold a bmw 330i convertible not too long ago. it had some bumps and bruises here and there, some nicks on the rims, and some wear on the interior. but i took pictures of EVERYTHING and posted a link to an imgur album in my description. the guy that bought it, texted me a few questions and then we had a short phone conversation. i had a few active buyers rolling, but nothing super serious and i let him know. he offered above what i was asking, immediately sent me a deposit to hold it. homeboy jumped a plane from denver showed up here in LA and paid cash on the barrel head over what my ask was.

no haggling. no flim-flammery. no time pirate shenanigans.

list it right, and you'll sell it right now.

-g
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:48 pm quote
As long as it comes with some of the stock parts (2 seats and exhaust mainly) the next buyer can strip of what they don't like. I've purchased modded motorcycles with tons of ugly anodized parts and tinted windscreens, but they came with the stock/OEM parts. So I just pulled the stuff I didn't wan't and recouped a bit of cash. As long as the service work records show its been cared for and I didn't find any crash damage being hidden by ugly bling, I purchased them.

Personally, I like your GTV as-is. Yeah, a few things I would change, but I think its cool looking. I need to show my friend your scooter.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:56 pm quote
$3000-3200

Right now there is a 2017 GTS300 Super with 15 miles on CL, garage kept. Asking $6200...not a chance.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:19 pm quote
If it was in Russia with Russian papers for that price, I'd try to buy (if bank gives me a loan). However my BigBeo'2003 with newly rebuilt engine costs twice less.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:18 am quote
I have a local Honda Powersports dealer trying to get $5000 for a 2012 Honda Silverwing. It has 75 miles on it, but the tag expired in 2013. That means it sat since 2013 with fuel in the tank. Worse, the dealership selling it said all the fluids and tires are still good. They didn't flush or change a thing. Sitting since 2013, and not in a crate, but a non-climate controlled garage. And as a bonus, it has a copy key and no owners manual. I guess the owners widow couldn't find them, only the spare key they had made for it.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:33 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
rosscooter wrote:
oh, so this was an exercise in mental masturbation?

-g
Hardly mental masturbation... I intend to revamp the verbiage and add pics as quickly time allows. I continue to ride and don't feel compelled to strip her down just to take photos. Hopefully, all the "farkle" isn't a deterrent. I sincerely appreciate all of the differing points of view, but as some of them are complete opposites, it would be impossible to incorporate them all.
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:57 pm quote
Everyone has offered good points here. After I read the ad, I thought, this is a scoot the owner really customized to be his/her own. Problem is unless you find the person who shares that vision, most of the stuff like the fog lights, the headlight brow, etc. are just junk to get rid of. As Greasy said, strip it down, disclose mileage and service and drop at least $500 off the price. Remember, you are selling a niche model of a niche product. Problem with most things folks want to sell, it has more value to them than to the buying public.
Ossessionato
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:47 pm quote
griffin1108 wrote:
Everyone has offered good points here. After I read the ad, I thought, this is a scoot the owner really customized to be his/her own. Problem is unless you find the person who shares that vision, most of the stuff like the fog lights, the headlight brow, etc. are just junk to get rid of. As Greasy said, strip it down, disclose mileage and service and drop at least $500 off the price. Remember, you are selling a niche model of a niche product. Problem with most things folks want to sell, it has more value to them than to the buying public.
But it also sends the message that the seller cared deeply for the bike and likely took care of it.

Miguel
Hooked
BV 350 ABS/ASR
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:28 pm quote
Re: Am I asking too much?
OK - Ya asked for advise - READING COMPREHENSION

This one:
rosscooter wrote:

2014 GTV/Charleston, SC

Thanks...
OR this one:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Vespa-GTV-300-ABS-5012922788

It's a 2016 for $99 dollars more and you get a top case, a little chrome and ABS, It has less than 10k miles and 5 more photos Plus it's a dealer so you may get wiggle room. Basically wash the tax/fees out and it's your $4500 asking price.

To channel the Grease-meister "quit fiddle fuck'n around and either prep it to sell in a decent add at a decent price or don't!

Now, I hope Greasy dosn't kill me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:43 pm quote
I think the op is a little lite in pricing, needs to jack it up a few thou.

bigger price tag means its gotta be worth more.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:50 pm quote
Well, I asked for opinions and I got 'em... I certainly don't mind hearing I might be asking too much... That's why I ask. I disagree with the "strip it and sell the extras" approach, but I do agree with the theory that I can't recover ALL the farkle I put onto it. Wasn't really expecting to and don't think having two different seats or a choice of three screens to change out as frivolous. I have added more pics to the ad and knocked a hundred off for starters. Removed "firm" so that I would be open to a little wiggle room.

Thanks all, for the replies... even the smart ass snarky ones.. they still made a point.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:38 pm quote
For the record, I ignore ďfirmĒ when I see something advertised, particularly a motor vehicle.
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 pm quote
Asking prices and selling prices are two different things. It's pretty easy to find comparable asking prices, but it's difficult find actual selling prices. Maybe if you have a good relationship with a local dealership, they might be able to give you some pricing insights. If your bank finances scooters, maybe your banker would give you an idea of how much they would finance if a potential borrower came in to get a loan on your bike?

Right now is a pretty good time to sell a good bike. People are trying to avoid public transit and a scoot is a pretty good alternative to sitting in a bus or train with 100 people surrounding you, all coughing up a lung.

Good luck!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:06 pm quote
rosscooter wrote:
I disagree with the "strip it and sell the extras" approach, but I do agree with the theory that I can't recover ALL the farkle I put onto it. Wasn't really expecting to and don't think having two different seats or a choice of three screens to change out as frivolous.
Actually I agree with you concerning being adverse to the "strip it and sell the extras" point of view. I have never bothered with striping anything off a used scooter before selling it. I frankly think that is usually more trouble than it is worth. The accessories are often more difficult to sell than the scooter. On the other hand, I have not found that accessories add much, if anything, to the actual selling price. The one positive thing to say about accessories is that the scooter with desirable accessories sells first.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:53 am quote
Update and bump....

I did go back and add some pics as well as reduce the price a couple of months ago, and other than tire-kickers and one Nigerian Princess, there has been no real interest. I'm sure covid has a little to do with it...

Old-man-back issues have kept me off the scooter for the most part, although I do go out and start her up every once in a while...
GTS 300
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:13 am quote
You got a local dealer that would sell it on consignment?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:07 pm quote
rosscooter wrote:
Update and bump....

I did go back and add some pics as well as reduce the price a couple of months ago, and other than tire-kickers and one Nigerian Princess, there has been no real interest. I'm sure covid has a little to do with it...

Old-man-back issues have kept me off the scooter for the most part, although I do go out and start her up every once in a while...
covid has actually made sales increase. very hard to find a decent scooter listed anywhere.

HIGHLY suggest you take greasy's advice and remove ALL the farkels and price it by the book.
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:41 am quote
rosscooter wrote:
Update and bump....

I did go back and add some pics as well as reduce the price a couple of months ago, and other than tire-kickers and one Nigerian Princess, there has been no real interest.
The Nigerian Princess might have been a serious buyer, or was it someone offering a Nigerian Princess in exchange for your GTV?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:47 am quote
Can we see a picture of this Nigerian Princess?

"Your Majesty, before I sell you this scooter I need to know you'll be safe riding it, so may I please see your royal Toreador Pants?"
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1896s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0560s) ][ Debug on ]