Am I asking too much?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Author Message
Addicted
2010 Vespa 300 Super
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 730
Location: NYC
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:41 am quote
Quote:
broham. lemme tell you, when you can roll into a dealer and put a smooth G down and pay a hundy a month ain't nobody selling nothing at beaucoup bucks.

and right now? nobody on nobody is splashing the pot.

if you want to sell it, prep it for sale. don't fiddle fuck around with the whole: oh, for the right buyer i'd do this or that; if you're serious, i'll include all this extra nonsense. that all smacks of some craig's list nickle dick time waster bullshittery.
This is why I love MV & the likes of Greasy..
Thats top dollah advice for free...
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 922
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:29 am quote
I took my 1200GS to the dealer to talk about selling.
His advice was:
Take off all the farkles unless you are giving them away with the bike.

Take it back to as near to OEM showroom standard as possible.

Personal taste is a fickle mistress and first glance puts the seller in a box that the buyer uses to judge the potential purchase.
Buyers may not want what you have on it - particularly if they have to finance.
Negotiate with cash buyers for your extras at 40-50% of their new cost.
Enthusiast
2015 GTS300i.e.
Joined: 24 Oct 2018
Posts: 55
Location: Raleigh, NC
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:06 am quote
Honesty = best policy

If something (anything) doesn't sell, you're asking too much.

As far as Covid hurting sales,, not even a little. Boat sales, motorcycle sales and RV sales are at a high like hasn't been seen in YEARS !!!

You want the bike more than anyone else, reflected in price. I have a 2003 Toyota that's been for sale for 2 months. Very little interest, no one has even came to see it. I'm obviously asking too much, but I don't care because if it doesn't sell before I find someone that really desperately needs it but can't afford it I'll give it to him/her.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie (hers), Bonneville T120
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 427
Location: Florida
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:22 am quote
I'm in the camp of getting rid of all the personal stuff. The stickers and badges are a real turn off for me. Your taste is a lot different than mine and will be to others as well.

A couple of years ago, I had a similar situation selling a BMW 1150 GS all tricked out. My price reflected it. After no bites for a long time, I removed mostly everything, reduced the price $1,500 and took more pictures.

I sold the bike within a few days after a lot of interest. The buyer bought a few of the goodies I had and I sold the rest on CL and ebay. I made more money than for the bike and accessories than I originally posted it for.

I have always had good luck with my local Craigs List. I have found people just want a good price for the bike originally. The other stuff can come later.

Definitely get rid of the stickers and badges though. They are just too personal.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 922
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:15 am quote
bluside wrote:
I'm in the camp of getting rid of all the personal stuff. The stickers and badges are a real turn off for me. Your taste is a lot different than mine and will be to others as well.

A couple of years ago, I had a similar situation selling a BMW 1150 GS all tricked out. My price reflected it. After no bites for a long time, I removed mostly everything, reduced the price $1,500 and took more pictures.

I sold the bike within a few days after a lot of interest. The buyer bought a few of the goodies I had and I sold the rest on CL and ebay. I made more money than for the bike and accessories than I originally posted it for.

I have always had good luck with my local Craigs List. I have found people just want a good price for the bike originally. The other stuff can come later.

Definitely get rid of the stickers and badges though. They are just too personal.
Take off the screen with all the personal stickers and keep it for your memories.
Take off the amber lights and perhaps the front rack to sell separately.
Put the stock pipe back.
It'll sell.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Joined: 05 Mar 2016
Posts: 769
Location: Charleston SC
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:29 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
bluside wrote:
I'm in the camp of getting rid of all the personal stuff. The stickers and badges are a real turn off for me. Your taste is a lot different than mine and will be to others as well.

A couple of years ago, I had a similar situation selling a BMW 1150 GS all tricked out. My price reflected it. After no bites for a long time, I removed mostly everything, reduced the price $1,500 and took more pictures.

I sold the bike within a few days after a lot of interest. The buyer bought a few of the goodies I had and I sold the rest on CL and ebay. I made more money than for the bike and accessories than I originally posted it for.

I have always had good luck with my local Craigs List. I have found people just want a good price for the bike originally. The other stuff can come later.

Definitely get rid of the stickers and badges though. They are just too personal.
Take off the screen with all the personal stickers and keep it for your memories.
Take off the amber lights and perhaps the front rack to sell separately.
Put the stock pipe back.
It'll sell.
The racks were pretty much OEM. And I understand that The lights (and stickers on the windscreen) might put someone off... easily removed. I would think that the body protection would be desirable. I am including the stock exhaust, along with extra gaskets and exhaust tool. Do you think that actually changing it back would be a game changer for a potential buyer?

My price is at the higher end but I have seen other comparable GTVs for more and some for less. I am not expecting to recoup $ for the farkle... just thought of it as sweetening the pot. Am I wrongheaded on this? Or should I simply not include it... so that a buyer won't think my price is BECAUSE it is included? And, yeah, there are those that just don't like the GTV.

And for those of you that asked about the Nigerian princess... I did actually get an offer from someone claiming to be in Nigeria whose funds were tied up and was going to send me a check for my asking price, shipping to Nigeria and a commission. Their shipping company would then contact me and I would simply pay them out of the funds. The princess really didn't contact me at all. I just threw that in because she had contacted me in the past regarding other financial matters... pretty sure she was related to the buyer though.
Member
BV 350, Suzuki VanVan, Triumph Street Twin
Joined: 22 Oct 2018
Posts: 32
Location: Virginia, USA
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:15 pm quote
The problem with performance mods is that the buyer has no idea if they were done well or if they present a future headache. Furthermore they could also indicate that you rode the hell out of the thing. Even something as straightforward as a slip on exhaust can intimidate would be buyers which is why restoring it to stock as much as possible and then offering other aftermarket stuff to either the buyer or others on Craigslist may be your best bet. I agree with your logic and it would apply if the buyer knows you, but a stranger wants to purchase what they think will be hassle free.
JEB
Hooked
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie (hers), Bonneville T120
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 427
Location: Florida
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:01 am quote
You have been given some really good advice on here from people that have sold many bikes...

Put the stock seats back on. Lose the big yellow lights and badges. Put the stock windshield back on without all the personal stickers and that big ugly deflector on top of it. Remove the center bag. Keep the protection bars. Put the stock exhaust back on.

Sell all that stuff separately if you want.

Obviously, you think your way is better.

Good luck with your sale. Keep us informed.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 7952
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:36 am quote
i've sold three bikes in the last two weeks. one was *exactly* your bike, like EXACTLY your bike. long story short, i did some work for a guy and with a little horse trading it fell into my lap. but again, it was the brother from another mother of your bike.

the chrome. the stickers. all the extras. all the rings and the bullshit. it needed a rear tire.

so i took it home, pulled off the aftermarket screen and put the OE one on. pulled off the disgusting aftermarket seat and put the OE on. took off the leo pipe and knocked on a nice OE exhaust. spent the afternoon peeling off all the stickers and hoo-haw and de-farkled it. knocked a rear tire on. did a service and safety on it. checked the trans real quick. said F it and checked the valves as well. then detailed the ever-loving shit out of it.

rode it around the next day to make sure there was no silliness. to note, there was not.

then went and took some beauty shots.

dropped it on CL late afternoon. with a very straight forward ad with vespa GTV header and then straight jack webb from there. added in that i had chrome and a performance exhaust if interested, willing to negotiate on both.

bike was gone the next day at full ask. then the guy comes back around for the chrome, at damn near retail. then a day later asks me to install it.

i'm not barfing this all up to boast or anything like that. i'm trying to prove a point. your tastes aren't the same as everyone else. present the bike that will appeal to the widest market. offer up the tasty bits as a side hustle, and if they don't bite then adios them here or CL or ebay.

what you think everybody else will like doesn't matter if you're trying to sell a bike; especially if you think that they'll like what you like.

anyway, you keep asking the same questions and we keep giving you the same answers. at some point it's gotta click man.

-g
Hooked
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie (hers), Bonneville T120
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 427
Location: Florida
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:50 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
i've sold three bikes in the last two weeks. one was *exactly* your bike, like EXACTLY your bike. long story short, i did some work for a guy and with a little horse trading it fell into my lap. but again, it was the brother from another mother of your bike.

the chrome. the stickers. all the extras. all the rings and the bullshit. it needed a rear tire.

so i took it home, pulled off the aftermarket screen and put the OE one on. pulled off the disgusting aftermarket seat and put the OE on. took off the leo pipe and knocked on a nice OE exhaust. spent the afternoon peeling off all the stickers and hoo-haw and de-farkled it. knocked a rear tire on. did a service and safety on it. checked the trans real quick. said F it and checked the valves as well. then detailed the ever-loving shit out of it.

rode it around the next day to make sure there was no silliness. to note, there was not.

then went and took some beauty shots.

dropped it on CL late afternoon. with a very straight forward ad with vespa GTV header and then straight jack webb from there. added in that i had chrome and a performance exhaust if interested, willing to negotiate on both.

bike was gone the next day at full ask. then the guy comes back around for the chrome, at damn near retail. then a day later asks me to install it.

i'm not barfing this all up to boast or anything like that. i'm trying to prove a point. your tastes aren't the same as everyone else. present the bike that will appeal to the widest market. offer up the tasty bits as a side hustle, and if they don't bite then adios them here or CL or ebay.

what you think everybody else will like doesn't matter if you're trying to sell a bike; especially if you think that they'll like what you like.

anyway, you keep asking the same questions and we keep giving you the same answers. at some point it's gotta click man.

-g
This....End of story. Great post.
Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 1929
Location: Brentwood, TN
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:50 am quote
rosscooter wrote:
My price is at the higher end but I have seen other comparable GTVs for more and some for less.
What do you mean by “price”? You say you’ve “seen” this price or that price, but what are you seeing - list prices? Or sales price? Often a big difference, especially with PTW’s. And where are the selling bikes located? Big difference in geographic Vespa markets in the USA.

And if you’re relying on the “blue book” services - how many localized transactions feed that service? If you get data on F-150’s within 100 miles of you, it is probably a pretty good indication of actual data. But there probably aren’t enough Vespa GTV’s to rely on that data.

Bottom line - if you are truly trying to sell and no one is biting, you’ve asked too much.
Hooked
Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 262

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:48 pm quote
Leave all of the aftermarket $hit on it. I’ll up my offer to $600
Addicted
2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 602
Location: central Illinois USA
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:34 pm quote
Pretty eye candy, and ya, nice to look at but way more ‘stuff’ than I have/want/need on a scooter. Sure would look great in a parade, but you’re probably not acting me riding in a parade on a scooter unless it’s that vintage baby I won. Not into wearing or riding ‘bling’ but it’s nice to look at.
Do what works for you, it’s your ride, and your $$.
Member
'06 GTS 250ie,'00 PX200E, '83 CS125,'10 Triumph Bonneville SE
Joined: 11 Apr 2015
Posts: 39
Location: Sydney, Australia
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm quote
Yep, I agree with pretty much everyone here. You're trying to sell an enthusiast scooter to a general market. Definitely lose the stickers, lamps, mitts and tunnel bag, and put the original seat back on.
You might get away with keeping the exhaust and the racks on it. Maybe a small screen. But you have to remember that a lot of people just want to get on and ride, swapping an exhaust out or changing the screen is too much effort or too intimidating. They see it as something that they are going to have to pay someone else to do if they bought it. Of course stickers can be easily peeled off, but the impact when most "would be" purchasers see them is that it looks untidy. The overall impression is the scooter looks too much like someone's else's scooter. They don't see it as something that could belong to them.
Manufacturers spend a lot of time time designing their product to be (generally) neutral and appeal to the most amount of people when they send it from the factory, best to go with that.
Member
2014/2019 gts 300 super/ gts 300 touring
Joined: 14 Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Location: Mt Dora
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:46 am quote
If I was a potential buyer for your GTV, I would go more with the stock look. Put the stock exhaust back on, remove the tall windscreen, put the shorter one if you have it. And remove the fog lamps. This is all you can work in the deal or sell on marketplace after the sale! That exhaust will sell fast! I bought my 2014 GTS 300 Super with only 1,400 miles for $3,300. Just last month.
Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie
Joined: 05 Mar 2016
Posts: 769
Location: Charleston SC
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm quote
OKAY, I hear ya. Part of me just doesn't get it (why someone wouldn't want the extras). Part of me is lazy (a PIA to switch the exhaust). But I will take her back to near stock and try again. Just clearing another project out first...

Thanks to all who replied.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1898s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0655s) ][ Debug on ]