GTS running light brightness
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:04 am quote
I do plenty of riding in the night and/or fog, which naturally has me considering my lighting options.

It's come to my attention that the European GTS has running lights in the turn signals; while my American one does not. Replacing the turn signals isn't cheap though ($200), which makes me wonder how effective the running lights are.

Would someone with a euro GTS be willing to please post comparison photos of how much the running lights illuminate? Maybe take couple photos showing how far the high/low beams shine with the running lights blocked, and another set with them unblocked.

I'm also looking at aftermarket fog lights, but most of the ones I've found make you look like an extra in a Lady Gaga Meets The Who music video.

I may end up designing my own, but I'd like to investigate what's out there first.

Thanks!
Enthusiast
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:05 pm quote
Well in Finland we don`t have good darkness even at night for a month or so due to the summertime. Maybe the southern EU friends could help on this.

However even without pictures I can say that from the seat you can`t see the difference if the running lights are on or off. Purpose of these lights is to make vehicle more visible to approaching vehicles. I think that max power on these lights is even restricted by some funny EU directive.

They look nice though to the others.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 pm quote
Thanks!

I was afraid of that, which is why I'm hesitant to spend the $200. Would rather invest that sum in lights that help in both directions. 🙂
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:06 pm quote
Doesn't the 2020 GTS have an LED headlight?
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:13 pm quote
It does.
Hooked
2016 GTS 300
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:32 pm quote
I have a 2016 GTS with (standard) running lights.
As kaukari says, they provide no light on the road, but hopefully increase your visibility to other traffic from the front. But they are much dimmer than the headlight, so I'm not really sure how much they help.
And of course there are none at the rear, so you only have your normal tail light to stop people running up your date in the fog. An LED conversion may help if your tail light isn't already LED.
After-market fog lights would be the best in the front if you can find good LED lights that don't take too much power. I would like to do this but haven't yet thought of a way to mount them without drilling holes in the steel or buying an expensive (and ugly) front carrier.

Cheers. Jim.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:50 pm quote
You can add your own LED lights. Here's what I did some 10 years ago:
Fitting 'Brighteyes' to a GTS.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm quote
What jimc has done is just as good I suspect. The euro ones work well in as much as they definitely make you show up more from the front. They don't offer any extra light allowing you to actually see better. That's not their purpose.
20 GTS 300 hpe SuperSport
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:55 pm quote
Switchback running lights on Vespa GTS 300
I have the switchback running lights on my 2020 GTS 300. Makes it much more visible. Also converts everything to LED and adds running lights to the rear.

I recommend it: six lights in front and rear vs two and should make your distance easier for other drivers to judge.

Sorry no image here as the site gives me error messages, but if you like you can PM me and I send you one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:34 am quote
Re: Switchback running lights on Vespa GTS 300
giallo wrote:
I have the switchback running lights on my 2020 GTS 300. Makes it much more visible. Also converts everything to LED and adds running lights to the rear.

I recommend it: six lights in front and rear vs two and should make your distance easier for other drivers to judge.

Sorry no image here as the site gives me error messages, but if you like you can PM me and I send you one.
I hope that works out for you.
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:50 am quote
kaukari wrote:
Well in Finland we don`t have good darkness even at night for a month or so due to the summertime. Maybe the southern EU friends could help on this.

However even without pictures I can say that from the seat you can`t see the difference if the running lights are on or off. Purpose of these lights is to make vehicle more visible to approaching vehicles. I think that max power on these lights is even restricted by some funny EU directive.

They look nice though to the others.
This is correct. The DRL's provide no road illumination at all. Purely for others to see you.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am quote
I installed the LED switchback kit from ScooterWest on my 2008 GTS. But I upgraded the bulbs for something brighter, and used yellow fog light tint to offer some color contrast in the sea of white LEDS now present on the roadscape.

Here's a thread I started detailing my LED conversion. I have since upgraded the headlight to a full LED aftermarkets bucket from Amazon, and while pricey it is soo much better than the LED bulb in the OEM bucket. I have also since replaced the rear light with a Zelioni LED unit that was on a killer sale at scooterwest for $89!

LED Upgrades complete on GTS - Updated Jan 2019
20 GTS 300 hpe SuperSport
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 pm quote
Running lights on GTS 300
Here's a photo (found a workaround to uploading) with the switchback running lights on my 2020 GTS.
As you can see, they are quite visible at night. The rear running lights that are part of the set have equal brightness.

Imagepipe_1.jpg
Front running lights on Vespa GTS 300 at night

Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1558s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0371s) ][ Debug on ]