Brake switch/lights
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Author Message
Member
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 15
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:46 am quote
Hey all,

I have an 81 p200e. Just wondering: is the brake light supposed to light up when I squeeze the front brake? It comes on when I hit the rear brake.

Currently: the brake light does not come on when I hit the front brake.

Insight and help is always appreciated.

Cheers.
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2505

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:48 pm quote
If the front brake is currently wired up to the brake light, then it will work. If it's not hooked up, then it won't turn on your brake light. Remove the headset to check to see if you have a front brake light switch under it.
Member
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 15
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:29 pm quote
Fair enough. It seems like what youíre saying is that the front brake is supposed to turn the brake light on, yes?
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2505

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:34 pm quote
Nelluch125 wrote:
Fair enough. It seems like what youíre saying is that the front brake is supposed to turn the brake light on, yes?
The US market P should have a front brake light switch thatís located underneath the headset. Lots of the time the owner will just bypass the switch when replacing the front brake cable. So while the wires may still be there, the switch itself might be missing.
Member
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 15
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:38 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Nelluch125 wrote:
Fair enough. It seems like what youíre saying is that the front brake is supposed to turn the brake light on, yes?
The US market P should have a front brake light switch thatís located underneath the headset. Lots of the time the owner will just bypass the switch when replacing the front brake cable. So while the wires may still be there, the switch itself might be missing.
Ok. That works. Now what if itís a European p2?
Ossessionato
Joined: 26 Oct 2015
Posts: 2505

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:29 pm quote
Nelluch125 wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
Nelluch125 wrote:
Fair enough. It seems like what youíre saying is that the front brake is supposed to turn the brake light on, yes?
The US market P should have a front brake light switch thatís located underneath the headset. Lots of the time the owner will just bypass the switch when replacing the front brake cable. So while the wires may still be there, the switch itself might be missing.
Ok. That works. Now what if itís a European p2?
It's probably the exact same for the Euro P's as well. You just have to remove the headset cover to find out what's going on under there...if you're desiring to have a front brake light switch. Otherwise i'd just leave well enough alone.
Jet Eye Master
PX221 Malossi, O tuned PX200 and some motorbikes
Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 2132
Location: London UK
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:13 am quote
A UK 80's P200E would only have rear. Does it have a battery? UK ones didn't have those either.
Member
'81 Vespa P200e, '93 Vespa PX125e
Joined: 11 Jun 2020
Posts: 15
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:17 am quote
Yes, Jack.

No battery.

Maybe thatís why?
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 375
Location: UK - 3rd Rock From the Sun
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:45 am quote
Jack221 wrote:
A UK 80's P200E would only have rear. Does it have a battery? UK ones didn't have those either.
+1
none of mine did, until i fitted them....
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 616
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 am quote
Why would you not want the person behind you to know your slowing or stopping? Really curious why a company would not put in a front brake switch.
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 375
Location: UK - 3rd Rock From the Sun
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:23 am quote
it wasnt made mandatory till after 1986, when indicators also became mandatory in the UK
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 616
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:17 am quote
Gravelrash2004 wrote:
it wasnt made mandatory till after 1986, when indicators also became mandatory in the UK
Did you use all hand signals?
Member
Ď60 VBB
Joined: 25 Dec 2019
Posts: 34
Location: Chico CA
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm quote
Always use the rear brake, no issue.
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Joined: 24 Jun 2019
Posts: 375
Location: UK - 3rd Rock From the Sun
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:52 pm quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Gravelrash2004 wrote:
it wasnt made mandatory till after 1986, when indicators also became mandatory in the UK
Did you use all hand signals?
We were and are meant to if we drive them without indicators..... although i am yet to see anyone who does!!

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/driving-hand-signals-574x176.jpg
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1627s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0550s) ][ Debug on ]