Acceptable gearbox oil leak?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Vespa PK50XL2
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:58 am quote
What is considered to be acceptable/normal leak/sweating/weeping from a Vespa gearbox? None, small drop on the floor every other day or more?
Hooked

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:29 am quote
Ideally none.
Vespa PK50XL2
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:33 am quote
Sure Mine has developed a tiny leak at the bottom of the case the last days. It would take a couple of days for it to be enough for a drop to hit the floor. Something to worry about, or just let it be until there is need to split the engine?
Hooked

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:42 am quote
See if you can track it down. I've seen it where the drain plug gasket is weeping. You didn't mention large or small frame.

My smallframe would leave a quarter sized puddle after a week but never more and I never cared. It would come out of the gear selector shaft. T5 doesn't leak at all.
Vespa PK50XL2
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:48 am quote
Smallframe.

Drainplug is fine. Marked the location where leak shows.

Can't find any cracks in the case

NEX_20200627_144929.jpg

InkedNEX_20200626_233444_LI.jpg

Hooked

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:56 am quote
Yup, seen it there on small frames as well. Check that the case bolts are tight first. If they, something you can do is drain the oil and clean the area with brake cleaner then smear a small amount of silicone like Dirko (my personal favorite and is also grey). Not super thick. Once set overnight fill the oil. Not the cleanest fix but should get the job done as opposed to splitting the cases to replace the gasket.

If the engine has been rebuilt at some point they might have used cheap super thin gaskets. The bargain basement gasket kits are not very good in this regard.

Edit for another thought, is there a flat washer with split washer under those nuts? It doesn't look so when zoomed in. If they are missing then the bolts might be loose. If none of them do you can back the nuts off one at a time and put them there. With the oil drained of course.

Edit again, don't over tighten the case bolts. The nuts and bolts are made out of metal softer than butter and will strip out. I forget the official spec but I recall 9 to 11 ft/lbs, not sure in Newton meters but the info should be easy to find.
Vespa PK50XL2
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 am quote
Thanks for the replies. I have tried to tighten the bolts, and it helped a bit. Since I don't have a torque wrench that goes that low I didn't want to go to far. I might try to tighten them a bit more. I have no idea if the engine have been rebuilt, but the silicone idea sounds brilliant!

Edit: There is only a flat washer on the screws (thin), no split washer. I guess I have to get some then.

I guess I just can continue to drive it as normal until I get the Dirko and washers then?
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.3076s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0629s) ][ Debug on ]