What do you use to wash your Vespa
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Member
Gts 300 notte
Joined: 27 May 2020
Posts: 17
Location: Toronto
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm quote
Hello. Just wondering what you use to wash your vespa? Seat included... I have the 2020 notte and am wondering what to use for the matte finish. Thanks!
Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150ABS
Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 85
Location: Selbyville, DE
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:25 pm quote
I have a 2016 Sprint in Matte Gray. I was concerned too with what to use to clean and polish it. Found this line of products from Chemical Guys:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/the-complete-matte-kit/HOL99516.html
Bought the wash and the spray detailer along with a microfiber wash mitt. Worked great and hopefully will protect the finish.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 153
Location: San Francisco
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 pm quote
https://simplegreen.com/cleaning-tips/rooms/hobbies/motorcycles/

I bought a jug of this 7 years ago to clean my bicycle chain, and now that I have a Vespa I use it to clean that too. Put a couple cm of it in a spray bottle and fill the rest with water. It'll last a loooonnggg time.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:02 pm quote
fergy wrote:
I have a 2016 Sprint in Matte Gray. I was concerned too with what to use to clean and polish it. Found this line of products from Chemical Guys:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/the-complete-matte-kit/HOL99516.html
Bought the wash and the spray detailer along with a microfiber wash mitt. Worked great and hopefully will protect the finish.
There is also the Motul Matte Surface Clean, here the Amazon link (in Italian but there is also in English):

https://www.amazon.it/714-01-48-105051-Reinig-E11-Matte-Surface/dp/B015ABX320

USE:(for opaque surfaces)
Dry spray detergent for cleaning opaque plastic and painted surfaces. Fairings, plastics, on-board instrumentation, mudguards, bumpers, painted parts. It restores the opaque surfaces in a homogeneous way, obtaining a 'new' finish.
RECOMMENDATIONS Before use, if the motorcycle is very dirty, wash with MOTUL MOTOWASH E2. Shake MOTUL MATTE SURFACE CLEAN before use.
Spray on the surface to be treated at a distance of about 20 cm. Spread with a clean, soft cloth. Leave to dry for 3 minutes and then dry.
Polish with a clean, soft cloth for a perfect finish. MOTUL MATTE SURFACE CLEAN is only for use on opaque surfaces.
Do not use in direct sunlight and apply only on cold surfaces. Use without rinsing.
Member
Gts 300 notte
Joined: 27 May 2020
Posts: 17
Location: Toronto
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 am quote
thank you guys. and if i just want a light quick cleaning, would a light dish detergent be ok to use? or just stick with straight water?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8514
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 am quote
I use a car wash soap or Plexus.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 3106
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
I use a car wash soap or Plexus.
Same here.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Posts: 2386
Location: Finland
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 am quote
Hummus2 wrote:
thank you guys. and if i just want a light quick cleaning, would a light dish detergent be ok to use? or just stick with straight water?
This divides opinions.

I use it (hand wash dish soap) for my matte colored motorcycle.
Just a few drops to a spray bottle filled with water and rinsed with water

In theory hand dish wash soap could be corrosive - but I'm pretty sure that even if my bike will some day stand in a museum as a sample of the good old days, this will not be an issue...
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 am quote
Car wash soap is generally good, I do not recommend anything else and in particular kitchen soaps because they may contain ammonia or other chemical degreasing components harmful to plastic and paint.
Everyone does what they want with their vehicle, even minimal maintenance, but what you have after, you find it again tomorrow.
Addicted
BV 350
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 611
Location: Nebraska
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:58 am quote
Pretty much
Most sources suggest that dishwashing liquid will dull your paint and strip wax. I use car wash soap on all painted surfaces. Most will have a slight waxing effect, all to the good.

On seat covers, I've been using Mother's VLR. Leaves matte vinyl matte (after it dries), not slippery, but so far has kept my BV350 seat red, rather than faded pink.

I've recently been experimenting with a 'ceramic' coating, as opposed to wax, on my cars and bikes. Leaves a nice shiny finish, seems pretty bug resistant, and you can apply multiple 'layers'.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8514
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am quote
There is a reason they make Car Wash Soap, it not because they want to sell you another product.

Use only dish soap to wash your hands for a week and see how they look.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
There is a reason they make Car Wash Soap, it not because they want to sell you another product.

Use only dish soap to wash your hands for a week and see how they look.
Holy words.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Posts: 2386
Location: Finland
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm quote
There's nothing dull in my bike, not even the paint

Washed regularly since new at 2018, but with hand dish wash soap only.

Mayby I should not add that as I don't have a garage, I also keep it outside all year round...

Just teasing a bit - no doupt there is plenty of stuff that makes a matte surface look even better, at least in the owner's eyes, but one will do quite nicely without such stuff too. What ever feels good.

IMG_20200629_230952.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21606
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:22 pm quote
rain water.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:26 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
rain water.
+1

And wind.

That's about it for me, too.
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Joined: 22 Dec 2012
Posts: 1440
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:26 pm quote
Mostly rain.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Joined: 04 Nov 2010
Posts: 285
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm quote
One of my friends converted me over to using Miracle Wash spray from AMSOIL. Stuff is real great since you don't need water, just spray the foam on and it cleans and polishes!
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:02 pm quote
... minimalist ...
The beauty of the scooter is also to cure it.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:09 pm quote
RRider wrote:
There's nothing dull in my bike, not even the paint

Washed regularly since new at 2018, but with hand dish wash soap only.

Mayby I should not add that as I don't have a garage, I also keep it outside all year round...

Just teasing a bit - no doupt there is plenty of stuff that makes a matte surface look even better, at least in the owner's eyes, but one will do quite nicely without such stuff too. What ever feels good.
Tu quoque ... what do I have to hear, the bike is sacred and making the toilet with dishwasher detergent made me shiver ... tonight I will go to bed without dinner to think better about it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8514
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 pm quote
Find a auto detail shop that uses dish washing soap, you will not.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Find a auto detail shop that uses dish washing soap, you will not.
True to a point. They won't be using soaps or detergents listed or named as "dish washing". However, the chemisty they use will have the same or similar ingredients.

Sort of like computer tools vs. automotive tools.
You probably use some sorts of screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, and yes, impact tools. But probably don't call them "car tools".
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8514
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Find a auto detail shop that uses dish washing soap, you will not.
True to a point. They won't be using soaps or detergents listed or named as "dish washing". However, the chemisty they use will have the same or similar ingredients.

Sort of like computer tools vs. automotive tools.
You probably use some sorts of screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, and yes, impact tools. But probably don't call them "car tools".
No salts. Worked at a dealer, we had a 55 gal drum to "Car Wash Soap'. Just finished the Gallon Jug I had squired while I was there.
Asked the detail dude for a little car wash soap, few minutes later he hands me a Windshield Wiper Fluid Gal Jog 3/4 of the way full. Said he drained it out of the drum going out to the trash the that hose to the car wash didn't pick up. That was 2006
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 6007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:09 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Find a auto detail shop that uses dish washing soap, you will not.
True to a point. They won't be using soaps or detergents listed or named as "dish washing". However, the chemistry they use will have the same or similar ingredients.

Sort of like computer tools vs. automotive tools.
You probably use some sorts of screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, and yes, impact tools. But probably don't call them "car tools".
No salts. Worked at a dealer, we had a 55 gal drum to "Car Wash Soap'. Just finished the Gallon Jug I had squired while I was there.
Asked the detail dude for a little car wash soap, few minutes later he hands me a Windshield Wiper Fluid Gal Jog 3/4 of the way full. Said he drained it out of the drum going out to the trash the that hose to the car wash didn't pick up. That was 2006
Can't make soap without salt. Chemically impossible. By definition:
soap
/sōp/
noun
1.
a substance used with water for washing and cleaning, made of a compound of natural oils or fats with sodium hydroxide or another strong alkali, and typically having perfume and coloring added.

Oils or fats = acids. Sodium hydroxide = base. Acid/base reaction --> salt.
Can't avoid it.
Member
Gts 300 notte
Joined: 27 May 2020
Posts: 17
Location: Toronto
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:57 pm quote
Bird pooped on my seat! Ah! Best thing to clean this? I ordered the chemical guys matte wash but not sure what to use on the seat 😫[/img]

B79CDE67-0F52-406F-80EF-138565CAF12D.jpeg

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 153
Location: San Francisco
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:44 pm quote
Rinse it off with sparkling water.
Member
Gts 300 notte
Joined: 27 May 2020
Posts: 17
Location: Toronto
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Rinse it off with sparkling water.
would that work? Not sure if serious or not haha haha
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 828
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:33 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Can't make soap without salt. Chemically impossible. By definition:
soap
/sōp/
noun
1.
a substance used with water for washing and cleaning, made of a compound of natural oils or fats with sodium hydroxide or another strong alkali, and typically having perfume and coloring added.

Oils or fats = acids. Sodium hydroxide = base. Acid/base reaction --> salt.
Can't avoid it.
I have a female friend who makes and sells soaps.
"All natural ingredients... virgin olive oil, essential oils like lavender and stuff!" she said.

"...and caustic soda... the stuff you use to clean drains?" I said.

"Erm... Yes. Otherwise it doesn't make soap. But the rest is all natural!" she said.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 153
Location: San Francisco
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:53 pm quote
Hummus2 wrote:
mayorofnow wrote:
Rinse it off with sparkling water.
would that work? Not sure if serious or not haha haha
For real: sparkling water.

I keep a can of pure La Croix and some Kleenex under my seat for this occasion.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:34 pm quote
Hummus2 wrote:
Bird pooped on my seat! Ah! Best thing to clean this? I ordered the chemical guys matte wash but not sure what to use on the seat 😫[/img]
How is big...
It is i think be Superman and not a bird...
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:41 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Can't make soap without salt. Chemically impossible. By definition:
soap
/sōp/
noun
1.
a substance used with water for washing and cleaning, made of a compound of natural oils or fats with sodium hydroxide or another strong alkali, and typically having perfume and coloring added.

Oils or fats = acids. Sodium hydroxide = base. Acid/base reaction --> salt.
Can't avoid it.
I have a female friend who makes and sells soaps.
"All natural ingredients... virgin olive oil, essential oils like lavender and stuff!" she said.

"...and caustic soda... the stuff you use to clean drains?" I said.

"Erm... Yes. Otherwise it doesn't make soap. But the rest is all natural!" she said.
The ancient Romans used piss because it contained ammonia and mixed it with sand and sawdust; i imagine what a perfume.
Brand Piss water by Maximum Cloaca.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8445
Location: KS USA
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 am quote
Car shampoo, plexus, and bike spirits.
Hooked
Yellow GTS
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 263
Location: Nashville, TN
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:10 am quote
I don't really wash mine, but I do wipe it off with lemon Pledge and a microfiber cloth. It loosens up bug guts and the occasional coffee spills.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3557
Location: Latina (Italy)
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
Car shampoo, plexus, and bike spirits.
Plexus? What is it?
Addicted
BV 350
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 611
Location: Nebraska
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:56 pm quote
Good stuff
Attila wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Car shampoo, plexus, and bike spirits.
Plexus? What is it?
A commercial product specifically designed for cleaning clear plastic windscreens and faceshields, leaves a slick coating behind. Also works extremely well on clear headlight and taillight covers. Kinda expensive (small can is $25 or so) but you don't really use much. I usually get more than a year of use per can , using it on cars and bikes. Does a great job of softening bug guts and allows them to be removed without scratching the plastic. Seems to protect well against fogging and yellowing, in my personal experience over the last 20 years or so.

Some folks think Pledge and other furniture polish works as well, for cheaper.

I would think a stream of cool water would do to remove bird excrement, to be followed by VLR or other vinyl product to protect against the next attack.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8514
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:11 am quote
Re: Good stuff
Jimding wrote:
Attila wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Car shampoo, plexus, and bike spirits.
Plexus? What is it?
A commercial product specifically designed for cleaning clear plastic windscreens and faceshields, leaves a slick coating behind. Also works extremely well on clear headlight and taillight covers. Kinda expensive (small can is $25 or so) but you don't really use much. I usually get more than a year of use per can , using it on cars and bikes. Does a great job of softening bug guts and allows them to be removed without scratching the plastic. Seems to protect well against fogging and yellowing, in my personal experience over the last 20 years or so.

Some folks think Pledge and other furniture polish works as well, for cheaper.

I would think a stream of cool water would do to remove bird excrement, to be followed by VLR or other vinyl product to protect against the next attack.
Lot cheaper in the big can. You get more than twice as much for less than 50% more. Last big can I paid $35 I think.

Wayne B
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 672
Location: south Texas
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 am quote
I use a few drops of baby shampoo in a bucket with warm water. It is gentle and doesn't take the wax off, but still cleans. I was given that advice from a motor home manufacturer for cleaning full body paint.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8445
Location: KS USA
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Car shampoo, plexus, and bike spirits.
Plexus? What is it?
.
Attila wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
Car shampoo, plexus, and bike spirits.
Plexus? What is it?
Sorry I meant Novus. It comes as number 1, 2, and 3.

I use it mainly for my wind screens and the lens in my headlight.

The chrome gets a nice coat of Nevr-Dull.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1795s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0394s) ][ Debug on ]