Pinasco 177 aluminum + timing question
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Looking for one
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:40 pm quote
Hello guys,

So my pinasco kit 177 aluminum is arriving in a couple of days, trying to get ahead I decided to check the current timing as I have no idea where it is.

I tried the static timing method explained in https://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/timing/points.timing.html but I couldn't get the lightbulb to dim or shine more, I even tried to slowly spin the flywheel a complete turn to see if anything changed at any point.

Method:
- Using a square 9V battery
- Using a indicator lightbulb, the box says 12V 4 CP
- The circuit is, casing to neg battery, pos battery to bulb to picking coil cable, just as in the mentioned link
- Closing the circuit with the second cable in the blue CDI when it is unplugged from the CDI, left to right, seeing the scooter from behind, which I understand is the cable attached to de picking coil
- I have no battery in the scooter

Results:
- When I did this, the bulb does not get on at all it is completely off and nothing happen when spinning the flywheel

- I tried to close the bulb circuit at the same time picking coil cable is connected to the CDI, when i do this the bulb barely shines and nothing happen when spinning the flywheel

Questions and comments:
- The most obvious one, I am doing this right?
- You think is something with the lightbulb or battery characteristics?
- I understand the IT mark in the stator is mean to be 18 degrees BTDC, i think this is what the pinasco 177 recommends, will check on arrival, you think I can trust this enough?
- I thought maybe the battery is to small to power the bulb through the whole circuit but this is not the case because I tried the other cables in the CDI and the bulb shines with a "good enough" intensity
- I have no idea what to do...
- When the kit arrives I will be posting questions here

*Edit: LML 150, rotary valve
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:13 am quote
Do you have points or an electronic ignition? I didn't read through the article, but talking about using a bulb would be for an older bike with points. When you reference a cdi and coil pickup I think of an electronic ignition. Points don't need a pickup they are the pickup in a older system.
Looking for one
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:16 am quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Do you have points or an electronic ignition? I didn't read through the article, but talking about using a bulb would be for an older bike with points. When you reference a cdi and coil pickup I think of an electronic ignition. Points don't need a pickup they are the pickup in a older system.
thx Christopher
I have an electronic ignition, tbh i felt kind of proud of doing my research and trying to figure it out before asking here but i guess i missed that "little" detail

Does this mean I will need a flasher gun? (dont know its name in english nor do i have one)

Is there any other way?
60 VBB
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:40 am quote
The flasher gun is called a timing light. That is what you need to get the job done.
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:56 am quote
You need a timing light, to check it properly. Try watching a few videos on youtube there are a few ways to check it. At a minimum watch how the "0" or top Dead Center (TDC) is identified. After that there are a few options such as measuring to make marks. If your lazy like me I have a timing light that I can input the timing I want and it does the math internally and still strobes at the TDC mark. If you measure and mark the degrees like a few videos show then a less expensive but more cumbersome measuring process can be used. This process is also more prone to being incorrect do to measurement error from the user.

I use this light that you dial in the amount of timing you want and keep it pointed at your TDC mark. It also gives you RPM, some of the LML ignitions have a built in retard function of a few degrees as the rpm increases.

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/actron-digital-timing-light-actcp7529?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsPSt_ZWn6gIVDpSzCh3-dwCVEAsYECABEgL1I_D_BwE
Looking for one
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:08 pm quote
The kit arrived, setting timing aside, I have a couple of additional questions

- I do not see any torque specs for the head and exhaust, any where i can check them?

- The kit does not come with locking nuts, should i use them?
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1314s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0307s) ][ Debug on ]