Carbon fibre repair advice sought
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 am quote
Hello! Does anyone have any experience with repairing carbon fibre? The end cap on my Akropovic exhaust has split, there isn't a hole, it just appears to be where the layers of carbon overlap. I am wanting to fix it myself rather than buy a new one. I have watched you tube videos but I am unsure whether to apply some more matting to the under side of just gel coat and polish the top. Can anyone offer any advice please? TIA
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:50 am quote
If it were me I would probably just fix it as if it were FRP/GRP. On the inside no one will ever know you used glass mat.

But if you can buy a carbon repair kit cheaply with small amounts of everything just follow your original plan.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:10 am quote
I have replaced 2 end caps for folks due to crash damage.

you have to drill out the stainless rivets first, that in itself is a PITA.

now on the repair of the end cap. its possible to repair cracks but you need to use the proper matt and resin to with stand the heat.
those cost will be probably as much as a replacement end cap kit.

if you decide to do the repair versus replacement be sure and source the stainless rivets, aluminum won't hold up to the heat and steel ones will rust.

now you need an air operate rivet gun as a manual one is WAY to light duty to pull the stainless rivets. I have tried.

You can get a kit that comes with new rivets, band and cap from reveille and other suppliers, be sure and get only genuine AK, should be around $100-150 tops.
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 am quote
Thanks for the replies!
I have bought a kit already so have the matting and gel coat. I was thinking of either patching from underneath or just gel coating the top and sticking the layers back down. Either way, I was hoping to avoid removing the cap itself with the patching being done by removal of the baffle. I know access would be tight but the patch required is relatively small. The cost to replace, after ordering the parts from the US and paying customs charges, would be in excess of $200 I think. If this doesn't work, then I may remove the end cap and get a stainless one fabricated instead. A quick question about the rivets, can you not use normal alloy ones? They don't seem structural really and as long as I keep my bike clean, which I do anyway, they shouldn't corrode, so would they be ok?
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 am quote
Just re-read your reply and noted the rivets comments. Thanks
Addicted
BV 350
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:00 pm quote
Usually
Usually you want to make the repair patch as large as possible to spread any stress. A very small patch around the crack may well crack again at the edges of the patch. I presume the cap may get more vibration than you might expect.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1250s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0233s) ][ Debug on ]