Looking to buy 2016 mp3, any advice?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Mp3
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 pm quote
I almost pulled the trigger on an older generation mp3 500 but was concerned about the notch and engine issues. Now looking at a used 2016 with 3500 miles. Anything I should look out for? I assume that the notch has been fixed. Does this generation of MP3s have their own quirks or known issues? I test rode an mp3 long ago. Anything during the test drive I should look for? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:35 pm quote
Don't assume the notch was fixed.

The best way to avoid the notch to is to have proof that the first inspection at 1K km was performed followed by regular grease of the bearing at questions every 10K km afterwards.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:58 am quote
Re: Looking to buy 2016 mp3, any advice?
K50 wrote:
I almost pulled the trigger on an older generation mp3 500 but was concerned about the notch and engine issues. Now looking at a used 2016 with 3500 miles. Anything I should look out for? I assume that the notch has been fixed. Does this generation of MP3s have their own quirks or known issues? I test rode an mp3 long ago. Anything during the test drive I should look for? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Don't be concerned on the notch or not, concentrate on why you want the MP3? this is the issue. As long as you do the maintenance as per the manual, you have nothing to fear,
I hope that helped, safe riding.
Mp3
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:53 am quote
I have no fear of wrenching my own bikes, basic tasks like oil, filter, grease, brakes. Will attempt harder as well, drive belt, etc. what I donít know is what the 2 previous owners have done. I will ask for service records. Is there anything visual to check? Anything to test while riding? Has 3500 miles. This bike is pretty tech heavy, anything i should test? Thanks!
Mp3
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:00 am quote
As to why I want an MP3? Iíve owned many motorcycles and scooters over the years. The MP3 has always intrigued me. I maybe ride 2000-3000 miles per year on my current scooter. Run errands, short commute to work, joy rides. Maybe with a larger scooter i will ride more. I figured to buy used and in a few years i want to go back to 2 wheels, i sell for not much of a loss. But as always, I hope to not buy someoneís issues. Figure with 3500 miles not much could go wrong. As long as the oil was changed. I will go over the scoot top to bottom once home. Just want to check as best possible prior to buying. Thanks!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:42 am quote
K50 wrote:
As to why I want an MP3? Iíve owned many motorcycles and scooters over the years. The MP3 has always intrigued me. I maybe ride 2000-3000 miles per year on my current scooter. Run errands, short commute to work, joy rides. Maybe with a larger scooter i will ride more. I figured to buy used and in a few years i want to go back to 2 wheels, i sell for not much of a loss. But as always, I hope to not buy someoneís issues. Figure with 3500 miles not much could go wrong. As long as the oil was changed. I will go over the scoot top to bottom once home. Just want to check as best possible prior to buying. Thanks!
That's about as good a reason to want one as any.
My MP3 500 is a 2008, which was prone to steering notch and oil blowby. Due in some part to diligent maintenance, I have not suffered from either over the long term (just over 46,000 miles so far).
Having said that, it is my understanding that the 2016 has had both issues resolved (steering bearings properly greased and adjusted at the factory now, and the oil blow was presumed to be caused by bad pistons that would have the ring lands crack).
You should be fine.
If it was me, I'd grease the piss out of the steering bearings and verify the adjustment, but that's me.
Mp3
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am quote
Thanks, going to test it today. Will respond back with results. Hopefully taking it home with me
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:58 am quote
And use premium fuel only to avoid the piston ring issue. California 91 (R+M/2)premium is still just a tad shy of the required 95 RON octane these bikes require at a minimum

AFAIK, Piaggio never truly corrected the steering bearings or the rings but using premium fuel will avoid knock that cause the ring issue. Greasing the bearings every 5K km will minimize the chance of that issue causing you grief.

Also, only use the proper grade motor oil (5W-40 with MA/MA2 certification) and only use 1.5L max (NOT the 1.7L Piaggio puts in their service manuals and owner documentation booklets)
Mp3
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:13 am quote
So I bought it, now I have reservations. Total miles shows 3500 but it seems like it has more. Is it possible to reset the odometer? Biggest concern is that it looks like the variator cover was taken off, screw heads look like a non-professional tinkered with them, so why would anyone look at the belt with 3500 miles? Also, was stored outside some of the time and there is some rust underneath and on some bolts. Not terrible, but more than I like. On the positive side, it seems to run well, no warning lights, and I only paid $3500 - 2016 with heated grips and the module that lets you connect your phone via Bluetooth. So what to do next? Oil and gear Oil change? What else? Also, the front plastic fenders above the tires have some scratches, where can I get those parts? These are the thin removable plastic pieces.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:23 am quote
As sbaert eludes to, make sure to use proper 'motorcycle oil, not car oil, or truck oil for diesels such as Rotella. Anything other than motorcycle oil can hasten issues such as high oil consumption and increased cylinder bore wear.

Good idea to make sure the coolant is ok. You can check it's acidity with test strips available from most auto stores and online. Won't harm anything to change it out with the correct type. It also lubricates the water pump seals so good coolant is important. It deteriorates no matter what the mileage is, it's mostly a time based thing.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:04 am quote
^This. Replacement of the coolant and brake fluid (brakes + tilt lock system) are absolute requirements. At a minimum every 2 years. The factory coolant is subpar and turns rusty very quickly.

I use VW/Audi coolant as it meets/exceeds the Piaggio requirements and has the same pink dye.

One word of caution. Make sure you open the bleeder on the cylinder head while refilling and run the engine until all air bubbles have escaped from the bleeder. Not doing so risks warping the head or worse. These engines are NOT self bleeders.

For the brake fluid, any quality DOT4 from a sealed container will do. Do make sure to check the date on the container and steer clear from those more than 6 months old. Make sure you do not let the brake reservoirs runs dry or get air into the lines. If you get air in the ABS pump, only a Piaggio dealer can help at that point or may even need to get a new pump. Due to the finicky nature of the tilt lock, I suggest only siphoning out the reservoir and refilling with fresh DOT4.

My guess is somebody opened the cover to swap out the variator weights, which is a very common mod. As for the rust spores, perfectly normal as it sat outside. After all, it is a Italian vehicle. They started rusting at the factory while waiting to be shipped. My center stand looks like it came off the Titanic, and the bike has only just turned 25K km (15.5K mi)

In the US, the dealer with the biggest spare parts inventory for the MP3 is Vespa Motorsport a.k.a. Scooter West in San Diego. See link

https://www.scooterwest.com/
Mp3
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:01 am quote
Was thinking of taking to a dealer to go over the bike, just make sure itís safe, etc. maybe have them do some of those services mentioned, how expensive would that be? Guy was selling for 4K dollars and when I complained about the rust he dropped the price. Was thinking those savings could be used for a first service. Maybe I will look for some maintenance vids and see how hard these tasks are. Thoughts?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:36 am quote
K50 wrote:
Was thinking of taking to a dealer to go over the bike, just make sure itís safe, etc. maybe have them do some of those services mentioned, how expensive would that be? Guy was selling for 4K dollars and when I complained about the rust he dropped the price. Was thinking those savings could be used for a first service. Maybe I will look for some maintenance vids and see how hard these tasks are. Thoughts?
Watch the videos, then decide if you want to do it yourself.
Mp3
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm quote
Still wondering if the odo was reset? Is that possible? What tires come from the factory on a 2016 Piaggio mp3? Thank!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 pm quote
K50 wrote:
Still wondering if the odo was reset? Is that possible? What tires come from the factory on a 2016 Piaggio mp3? Thank!
Anything's possible with enough resources thrown at it, but I doubt very much anyone bothered to reset the odo. They might have replaced all the clocks for some other reason, but not to hide mileage - what would be the point?

What's the date-stamp on the tyres? - that'll give you more of a clue of what the mileage really is.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:44 pm quote
A year or two ago I was lurking for info how to clone my BigBeo's key chip. And found a forum where lots of phreakers teach and learn how to decrease odometer's readings.

I was wondered how many Piaggios (Aprilias, Gileras) were decreased, and at least hundreds of those only on that forum. So... Before that I was sure that Italian scooters are not so easy to phreak, neither are interesting for those who do. I was wrong, totally wrong.

Later that confirmed when I found a totally worn out Malossi clutch on my "kinda 31000 km" Scarabeo. Its friction pads were done, which is why it melted on a hill.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:11 am quote
K50 wrote:
The 2016 MP3 came from the factory with Michelin City Grip tires. As was already suggested, check the manufacture date on the sidewall.

The Michelins are very long lived, so if your bike only has 3500 real miles it should still be sporting its factory mounted rubber.

My factory Michelins lasted for 20K km (12.5K miles). The replacements (identical Michelins) seem to be wearing a bit quicker.
Enthusiast
2016 MP3 500 Sport
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm quote
Love my 2016 MP3 500
I bought a low mileage one myself. No regrets other than I discovered the previous owner had kept the under-seat tool set for some reason. (It's in a recess under the carpet.) You haven't mentioned it, but I believe 2016 was the first year with ABS and traction control in the US. It was the main reason I upgraded from my 2009 model as it still ran perfectly.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1228s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0282s) ][ Debug on ]