Ď08 MP3 400
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
Ď08 MP3 400
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:58 pm quote
Greetings, everyone. Iím considering the purchase of an Ď08 MP3 with 4000 miles or so. Iím in the Dallas, TX area, so am wondering if any area shops do service work on this model?
Kyleís doesnít. In fact he warned me that MP3s are a money pit, and should be avoided. Iím curious what the consensus here is. Other than smooth steering, what should I look for in a used MP3? Thanks.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:52 am quote
Re: Ď08 MP3 400
klacko wrote:
Greetings, everyone. Iím considering the purchase of an Ď08 MP3 with 4000 miles or so. Iím in the Dallas, TX area, so am wondering if any area shops do service work on this model?
Kyleís doesnít. In fact he warned me that MP3s are a money pit, and should be avoided. Iím curious what the consensus here is. Other than smooth steering, what should I look for in a used MP3? Thanks.
Hi, I think he is right, the MP3 has high maintenance costs comparing to other scooter similar to size of motor, example: changing front tyres will be double costs as there are two, not just one, same goes for the brakes, also, the key difference between this and a two wheeler, is the front steering bearing maintenance, most 2 wheel scooters/bikes don't have this cost. So if you are buying with the intent to watching the wallet, this is not for you. You will have other issues that will break down due to age and usage, as it is 2008, so you will be paying more than a two wheeler, saying this, I have 2009 MP3 400ie and I love it, I just did the front steering maintenance, changed the rear tyre and the drive belt, it rides as new now!!! I love it, but I am happy to pay for the additional costs, as I was aware of them before I bought it, so do you homework and ask questions, understand then buy. No one can answer your question to whether to buy or not!!!! I bought mine based on some thoughts which turned out not correct, I don't regret buying it, but if I go back in time, I would not buy it.
Good luck.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:37 am quote
I wanted an MP3 since they were first released but could never justify the cost until last year when I finally jumped in and picked up a low mileage '09.

The MP3's got a bad rep because they were a new species. People didn't understand them and few people knew how to work on them. The maintenance cost is more than a simpler two-wheeled scoot but not an order of magnitude greater. And not more than a larger traditional motorcycle. From the skinny part back they are primarily just a regular maxi-scooter. All the cool stuff is in the front. If you're going to be relying on a professional mechanic or dealer to do all your work that skews the cost a bit. But if you can do some of your own work that makes a big difference.

The "steering-notch" bearing issue is a thing, but can be mitigated with vigilance and maintenance. Service records are a good thing if the previous owner has them. An '08 with only 4000 miles has been sitting unused in storage a lot so you have to look for signs of deterioration and neglect. Have the fluids been changed? All of them? Any leaks? Valves adjusted? Condition of anything rubber? Age of the drive belt? Age of the tires? (Look for the date code stamped on the side). Lights and switches work? Wiggle the rear wheel to check the bearings. Spin the rear wheel to check for dragging brakes or transmission issues. Also try the parking brake to see if it functions. If you can, tip the scoot back so you can wiggle the front wheels too. Brake drag? Bearings? Any wiggle or movement that shouldn't be there?

The electronic bits of the machine are pretty solid and don't have many issues. The early 500 engines had some piston issues but the 250's and 400's are rock solid.

Once you get everything sorted and get it on the road they are smooth, comfortable, and fast. I don't regret buying one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:53 am quote
Over ~46,000 miles of riding my MP3 500, my total cost of maintenance is less than $0.05/mile. Granted, I do all my own labor, so if that's you, there's a number.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 am quote
If you buy it, make sure it doesn't have the notch first in the front end and get the fork bearings greased and adjusted if it doesn't have the notch.
Lurker
Ď08 MP3 400
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 pm quote
Thanks. Useful stuff.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1184s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0238s) ][ Debug on ]