Piaggio green plastic in tank
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 50 2018
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 131
Location: Montreal (Quebec, Canada)
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:19 pm quote
I have a new Piaggio Liberty with I-Get engine and I want to know if someone have removed the green insert in the fuel tank tube?

If we can do it, how we do it?

Each time I fill up, it always overflows and I am never able to put full...

If this green plastic was not there, I could see where the petrol is in the tank !!!

Thank's!

IMG_20200705_200015875.jpg

Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 339
Location: Norfolk, VA
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:26 pm quote
I had the same gripe when I first got my Liberty. Now I can fill it no problem. The trick? Go slow when filling. Get to know how much fuel it holds at your refill point.

The green insert is there to keep you from topping it up or over filling it and causing problems. So keep the green thing in and just learn your fuel capacity. And go slow as possible when filling with the pump. I will still sometimes find a pump that will not go slow, so I just put a little in the tank and go somewhere else to fill it up later.

And note that gas cap is terrible. It's easy to cross thread or get kinda stuck. I put a tap of deal grease around the threads to make it work better. I eventually got the red ebay red aluminum bootleg Vespa gas gap. Still not perfect but it works better.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2864
Location: East Anglia, The power house of the UK
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm quote
As sc00ter says, keep the green neck liner in place. It's there for several reasons. Removing it won't make any difference to you overfilling, you still won't see the fuel early enough to stop pumping. It's also there to prevent mis-fuelling incidents.

Last edited by Stromrider on Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38731
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:50 pm quote
The green insert is to stop you putting diesel in, in Europe at least. The colours of the gasoline and diesel pumps are the other way round there from the US, so green for petrol, and black for diesel. The EU diesel nozzles are a wider diameter, so won't fit into the green insert.

I expect it's glued in place. You could possibly drill it out, but then you'd have to remove the tank to get the swarf out.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8576
Location: KS USA
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:53 am quote
The swarf is probably in the tank already. Look how deformed the green piece is.

Last edited by Max6200 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Member
vespa gts 250
Joined: 06 Jul 2020
Posts: 22
Location: turkey
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:35 pm quote
I took it out with a plier.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8576
Location: KS USA
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:53 pm quote
altugsaygili wrote:
I took it out with a plier.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 3636
Location: Tempe, AZ
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:13 pm quote
Just light a match (I was "this" close to doing that once, please don't.)
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6208
Location: NWAOK
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 pm quote
jimc wrote:
The green insert is to stop you putting diesel in, in Europe at least. ...
Or leaded gas. That's what started it here.
Now if you ask yourself who on the forum would actually have taken one out, I might have come to mind. It's a bit of work, but it can be done in about 15 minutes. Screwdriver and hammer gets it loose and a set of needle nose pliers. I think I used a box cutter to cut through some of the green plastic to get a better purchase with the screwdriver, but I did get it out of an ET4. Filling it up was a lot easier afterward. You really have to try to get gas in the pet carrier once it's out.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3727
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:01 pm quote
In my Yamaha there is a sheet metal insert that does the same function, prevents overflowing and prevents insertion of the diesel pump; if it fills over there is a small tube that throws out the excess fuel.
I think all scooters have it.
Hooked
2020 Sprint S 125, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon 800, 2017 Ninja 650
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 212
Location: Stevenage, UK
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:00 am quote
Just curious but does not the pump you use out there auto stop once the fuel reaches the nozzle? I always thought I might have issues filling the Sprint but the manual states how to hold the pump and wait for it to stop automatically.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2864
Location: East Anglia, The power house of the UK
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:05 am quote
Some pumps are slow to react to shutting off. As you elude to, there is also a 'special' way to hold the pump nozzle so as to make sure the sensor in the pump handle detects when the tank is full. Even then, it's far to easy to overfill the tank.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3727
Location: Latina (Italy)
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:40 am quote
The problem is that the tanks are small (my total 7 liters) and if you go to the automatic pump you have to know how many liters the amount of money corresponds to otherwise you leave the fuel in the pump.
Example, i know that when my level indicator is halfway i can put 5 and return the level to full but remaining below the "overflow" diaphragm.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 339
Location: Norfolk, VA
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:47 am quote
With current gas prices, with the fuel light on, I can fit $2.50 of premium in the tank. Pre-pay so the pump starts slowing down automatically. But you still pump as slowly as possible! It loves burping back making a mess. And never trust those auto-stops. I've had the pumps keep pumping gas everywhere, pump either super fast or stop and other annoying issues.

I did get a tank of poor quality gas once. It made the motor run really weak and I could hear the valves making noise! Only rode 3 miles. I pulled out the fuel at work and someone with a flex fuel truck took the whopping gallon. I put a cup worth of my works gas in it to get to the known good gas station 1 mile away and filled it up again. The gas station I got the trash gas from is kinda known for sketchy fuel. I no longer go there but I miss the cute cashier.
Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 50 2018
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 131
Location: Montreal (Quebec, Canada)
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:40 am quote
I think I will leave it and take my time.
My fear is when trying to remove it is to drop it into the gas tank ....
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6208
Location: NWAOK
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:50 pm quote
Not if you stick a piece of wire through one of the sides and keep it outside.
Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 50 2018
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 131
Location: Montreal (Quebec, Canada)
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:12 am quote
Now I know why it is difficult to fill the tank of gasoline on my Piaggio Liberty in 2018!

Here the shape of the fuel tank !!!!



IMG_20200729_112429110_HDR.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 8663
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am quote
For Pete's sake...

The overfill issue has been discussed ad nausiam on this forum. Before you butcher your scooter, you might try a simple search.

Basically, all you have to do is insert the gas nozzle the whole way, turn it so that the handle extends toward the pet carrier, and squeeze the trigger only part way for reduced flow. DON'T engage the trigger lock. Significantly reduce the flow when you think you are approaching full, and let the automatic shut-off stop the flow when it is full. Works every time for me, but if you are paranoid about getting fuel in the pet carrier, prop up the back of the tub with the gas cap when you take the cap off. DON'T try to top off... your reflexes aren't quick enough.

It takes less than a minute to fill a scooter tank, even at significantly reduced flow... it's not a car or truck. It's not going to challenge your wrist to hold the trigger manually for that brief time. At full flow -- or even nearly full flow -- many gas pump auto shut-offs don't react fast enough to prevent overflows on a small scooter tank.

And Bob's your uncle.
Member
Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Posts: 18
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:52 pm quote
vermi wrote:
I think I will leave it and take my time.
My fear is when trying to remove it is to drop it into the gas tank ....
If you do drop it in the tank, I doubt it will go through the filter!
Hooked
GTS 300
Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 105
Location: SoCal
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:23 pm quote
Silver Streak wrote:
For Pete's sake...

The overfill issue has been discussed ad nausiam on this forum. Before you butcher your scooter, you might try a simple search.

Basically, all you have to do is insert the gas nozzle the whole way, turn it so that the handle extends toward the pet carrier, and squeeze the trigger only part way for reduced flow. DON'T engage the trigger lock. Significantly reduce the flow when you think you are approaching full, and let the automatic shut-off stop the flow when it is full. Works every time for me, but if you are paranoid about getting fuel in the pet carrier, prop up the back of the tub with the gas cap when you take the cap off. DON'T try to top off... your reflexes aren't quick enough.

It takes less than a minute to fill a scooter tank, even at significantly reduced flow... it's not a car or truck. It's not going to challenge your wrist to hold the trigger manually for that brief time. At full flow -- or even nearly full flow -- many gas pump auto shut-offs don't react fast enough to prevent overflows on a small scooter tank.

And Bob's your uncle.
I have yet to find a pump in CA where this method works. I can hold it exactly as you described and pump as slow as possible and the auto shutoff doesn't kick in.

I do know with the new GTS I have that it takes about 1.5 Gal when the low fuel light comes on. I pump in 1.4 and then start watching very closely and dribbling it in.

With my ET and LX I could see further into the tank and pumping slowly could usually avoid a spill. The auto shut off holding the pump over the pet carrier method didn't work for them either.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38731
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:52 am quote
joe register wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
For Pete's sake...

The overfill issue has been discussed ad nausiam on this forum. Before you butcher your scooter, you might try a simple search.

Basically, all you have to do is insert the gas nozzle the whole way, turn it so that the handle extends toward the pet carrier, and squeeze the trigger only part way for reduced flow. DON'T engage the trigger lock. Significantly reduce the flow when you think you are approaching full, and let the automatic shut-off stop the flow when it is full. Works every time for me, but if you are paranoid about getting fuel in the pet carrier, prop up the back of the tub with the gas cap when you take the cap off. DON'T try to top off... your reflexes aren't quick enough.

It takes less than a minute to fill a scooter tank, even at significantly reduced flow... it's not a car or truck. It's not going to challenge your wrist to hold the trigger manually for that brief time. At full flow -- or even nearly full flow -- many gas pump auto shut-offs don't react fast enough to prevent overflows on a small scooter tank.

And Bob's your uncle.
I have yet to find a pump in CA where this method works. I can hold it exactly as you described and pump as slow as possible and the auto shutoff doesn't kick in.

I do know with the new GTS I have that it takes about 1.5 Gal when the low fuel light comes on. I pump in 1.4 and then start watching very closely and dribbling it in.

With my ET and LX I could see further into the tank and pumping slowly could usually avoid a spill. The auto shut off holding the pump over the pet carrier method didn't work for them either.
I'm also in CA - and I very rarely have a problem with the pumps using the suggested method above. You have to hold back the 'foreskin' pretty tightly and jam as much as possible of the exposed nozzle into the tank without mashing your fingers. I pump at full speed and nearly always have zero spillage.
Hooked
GTS 300
Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 105
Location: SoCal
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:45 am quote
You can probably make a decent extra income demonstrating that method at Vespa owner workshops around the country.

Refueling drives me nuts.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 8663
Location: Annapolis, MD, USA
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 pm quote
joe register wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
For Pete's sake...

The overfill issue has been discussed ad nausiam on this forum. Before you butcher your scooter, you might try a simple search.

Basically, all you have to do is insert the gas nozzle the whole way, turn it so that the handle extends toward the pet carrier, and squeeze the trigger only part way for reduced flow. DON'T engage the trigger lock. Significantly reduce the flow when you think you are approaching full, and let the automatic shut-off stop the flow when it is full. Works every time for me, but if you are paranoid about getting fuel in the pet carrier, prop up the back of the tub with the gas cap when you take the cap off. DON'T try to top off... your reflexes aren't quick enough.

It takes less than a minute to fill a scooter tank, even at significantly reduced flow... it's not a car or truck. It's not going to challenge your wrist to hold the trigger manually for that brief time. At full flow -- or even nearly full flow -- many gas pump auto shut-offs don't react fast enough to prevent overflows on a small scooter tank.

And Bob's your uncle.
I have yet to find a pump in CA where this method works. I can hold it exactly as you described and pump as slow as possible and the auto shutoff doesn't kick in.

I do know with the new GTS I have that it takes about 1.5 Gal when the low fuel light comes on. I pump in 1.4 and then start watching very closely and dribbling it in.

With my ET and LX I could see further into the tank and pumping slowly could usually avoid a spill. The auto shut off holding the pump over the pet carrier method didn't work for them either.
I agree with jimc that your problem is likely that you're not retracting the "foreskin" far enough and not getting enough of the spout down into the fill tube.

Unless the spout is the whole way down, the auto shut-off doesn't detect the rising fuel level until too late.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2161s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0420s) ][ Debug on ]