Dead Battery Problem / Not used for a while
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Lurker
MP3 Yourban
Joined: 15 Jul 2020
Posts: 2
Location: Londres
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 am quote
Hi - havenít used my MP3 Yourban for a while due to lockdown and now battery is dead. Is there an easy way to get it charged or other fix? Wanít to avoid costly options as running low on cash these days. Thank you for help.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Posts: 262
Location: Austin, TX
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:00 am quote
The best thing is to get a smart charger and hook it up. You'll know pretty soon whether the battery is toast, and then you can use the smart charger on the new battery to keep it from going flat. Batteries don't like to be in a discharged state, and don't last forever even if you keep them healthy with a full charge. It's likely that your battery was about to go bad anyway, if it went flat in only a few months.

You only need a charging current of an amp or two, so don't get an automotive-grade 15 amp charger or anything. For a 12 amp-hour battery it will take 12 hours to charge it at 1 amp.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8597
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:12 am quote
If the battery sat dead for more than a few days is in done. It may take a charge and work, but it is dead if it does and just doesn't kow it yet and will leave you stranded with no notice.
Lurker
MP3 Yourban
Joined: 15 Jul 2020
Posts: 2
Location: Londres
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:06 am quote
Thanks guys ó appreciate the quick response!
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 241
Location: Belgium
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:27 am quote
Since you are in London, a solid choice is the Optimate 4. It is a 1Amp smart charger with a recovery function that can help restore batteries that are not too far gone.

Also, since you live in Europe they are readily available new and even 2nd hand. Just make sure you verify it works or is still under warranty if going the 2nd hand route.

https://optimate1.com/om4/?attribute_pa_region=uk
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 3196
Location: London UK
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:31 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
Since you are in London, a solid choice is the Optimate 4. It is a 1Amp smart charger with a recovery function that can help restore batteries that are not too far gone.

Also, since you live in Europe they are readily available new and even 2nd hand. Just make sure you verify it works or is still under warranty if going the 2nd hand route.

https://optimate1.com/om4/?attribute_pa_region=uk
I have an Optimate 4 you can borrow if you want?
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 305
Location: United Kingdom.
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:09 am quote
Keep a look out at lidl and aldi for when they have there motoring offer day/week as they normaly have the battery charger/maintenance chargers on offer around £13 well worth it as they will look after 6v and 12v motorcycle and car batteries.I have 3 of them .They have a 3yr warrenty ,keep the reciept i've had one go bad and did'ent.
Might be worth a look in A or l on the off chance they have some in store and it's always worth a ask as sometimes they have stock thats not out on the shelfs as i found out once.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8597
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 am quote
3legsofman wrote:
Keep a look out at lidl and aldi for when they have there motoring offer day/week as they normaly have the battery charger/maintenance chargers on offer around £13 well worth it as they will look after 6v and 12v motorcycle and car batteries.I have 3 of them .They have a 3yr warrenty ,keep the reciept i've had one go bad and did'ent.
Might be worth a look in A or l on the off chance they have some in store and it's always worth a ask as sometimes they have stock thats not out on the shelfs as i found out once.
I would not risk my $100 battery on a $13 maintainer. Spend a few more bucks and get a good one.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38718
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:46 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
3legsofman wrote:
Keep a look out at lidl and aldi for when they have there motoring offer day/week as they normaly have the battery charger/maintenance chargers on offer around £13 well worth it as they will look after 6v and 12v motorcycle and car batteries.I have 3 of them .They have a 3yr warrenty ,keep the reciept i've had one go bad and did'ent.
Might be worth a look in A or l on the off chance they have some in store and it's always worth a ask as sometimes they have stock thats not out on the shelfs as i found out once.
I would not risk my $100 battery on a $13 maintainer. Spend a few more bucks and get a good one.
What risk do you think there would be? A battery maintainer is pretty simple. Sure, a fully equipped three or four-stage charger would be 'better', but if all that's needed is to maintain a battery at around full charge then a very simple current-limited 13.6V regulator does the job. A good first electronics project for a teenager...
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Joined: 19 Jul 2015
Posts: 305
Location: United Kingdom.
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:07 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
3legsofman wrote:
Keep a look out at lidl and aldi for when they have there motoring offer day/week as they normaly have the battery charger/maintenance chargers on offer around £13 well worth it as they will look after 6v and 12v motorcycle and car batteries.I have 3 of them .They have a 3yr warrenty ,keep the reciept i've had one go bad and did'ent.
Might be worth a look in A or l on the off chance they have some in store and it's always worth a ask as sometimes they have stock thats not out on the shelfs as i found out once.
I would not risk my $100 battery on a $13 maintainer. Spend a few more bucks and get a good one.
A optimate5 is $95 that looks after 6v and 12v batteries and will recover flat batteries down to 1v and 2 v . The £13 lidl/aldi ones do basicly the same except may not be quite as high tech although they do have many features that the optimate5 has. For keeping the battery in tip top condition while off the road for any length of time these A & L ones are perfectly ok imo. If the battery is that flat 1v for 6v or 2v for 12v as optimate says it may be able to recover then i woulden't bother, i'd go and buy a new yuasa one for my fuoco for around $40-$45 if i get 3+ yrs out of a motorcycle battery and 5+ yrs out of a car one i'm happy with that.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1402s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0353s) ][ Debug on ]