Clothing whilst riding
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Enthusiast
2016 Vespa Primavera Settantesimo 50cc
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:32 am quote
Hi... not sure if this is a can oí worms or not.

What do you wear when riding? I live a few blocks from the beach in a little coastal town in northeast Florida, US. MANY people ride here with flip flops, no shirt, no helmet.

For me, my minimum is shoes... shirt... shorts... helmet. I donít wear gloves or pants much if at all.

Note, too, my ride is a 50cc Vespa Primavera 2016. I donít ever leave our coastal town on the Vespa - donít ride it on roads with greater than 45 mph speed limit, usually not over 35 limit.

So.

What do you wear when riding?
Addicted
Vespa lxv 125 vie dell moda Chianti
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:37 am quote
even at 35 mph the damage to you hands and legs if wearing shorts and no gloves will be extremely severe
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:39 am quote
You near Ponce Inlet?
I wear a full face helmet every time, my mesh jacket with CE armor, and usually a high top sneaker (not because it will protect me; it won't. -I wear for the ease of flat-footing on my higher seat). In the colder months, boots. I rode on Saturday for about 80 plus miles with the jacket and in 96 degree heat it was still too hot. -So I just ordered an icon vest and elbow guards/sleeve. With any luck it won't be as uncomfortable.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:49 am quote
Helmet and gloves minimum. Bang your head and you're done. Mess up your hands in even a minor tumble and you can't work. No Bueno.

Work your way up from there. Rode in shorts once. Won't do that again. Too much heat and road debris getting kicked up. Solid boots will protect your feet and ankles.

Yeah I know it's hot, do what you gotta do, but an armored jacket is insurance against months/years of road rash and rehabilitation.
Enthusiast
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:06 am quote
Wow... good advice.
Thanks for the good counsel. A lot to think about, for sure.

Much appreciation.
Enthusiast
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am quote
Re: You near Ponce Inlet?
Karlsbadd wrote:
I wear a full face helmet every time, my mesh jacket with CE armor, and usually a high top sneaker (not because it will protect me; it won't. -I wear for the ease of flat-footing on my higher seat). In the colder months, boots. I rode on Saturday for about 80 plus miles with the jacket and in 96 degree heat it was still too hot. -So I just ordered an icon vest and elbow guards/sleeve. With any luck it won't be as uncomfortable.
Iím up in Neptune Beach - Jacksonville. I used to have a place in Daytona... good times.
Hooked
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:27 am quote
As you guessed this was a can of worms. I wear what ever when ever I like, but always some sort of helmet. Mostly because riding without helmet is not legal here. Adapt your speed and riding manners to the gears you wear. Your life, your skin
Enthusiast
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 am quote
kaukari wrote:
As you guessed this was a can of worms. I wear what ever when ever I like, but always some sort of helmet. Mostly because riding without helmet is not legal here. Adapt your speed and riding manners to the gears you wear. Your life, your skin
Riding without a helmet is legal here... which to me is stupefying.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:02 am quote
A riding instructor giving a course I attended years back had a cutting comment that I remember well:

"When it come to riding gear you have two choices... either you sweat, or else you bleed.
Choose the inconvenience and discomfort of good riding gear, or the pain of lost skin, ripped muscles, broken bones and lost limbs.
In the end it is your body... and your choice."
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:12 am quote
"Let the Rider Decide" is my philosophy.

If I'm hooning around the twisties giving it some beans, I'd be wearing the full caboodle.

If I'm just nipping down the road at this time of year I'd be in T-shirt, shorts and sandals. Definitely no flip-flops:

Lessons From Hit & Run in San Francisco
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:17 am quote
I do think it's funny how armor culture changes as you add a motor. Cyclists bomb downhill at 40 MPH all weekend long, with nothing but a veneer of Lycra covering their butts, and nobody thinks anything of it.

After having picked up a Vespa, I don't bike in the city anymore. I feel vulnerable going up against cars with nothing but a flimsy foam half-helmet on my side.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:23 am quote
Speaking of urban cycling, I once landed on my knee at 17 MPH. That was not a fun month.

Looking back, I probably broke my knee cap. I took stairs one-at-a-time for a long while after that.
Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:29 am quote
i try to wear all gear all the time....this heat has been hard..i did go out with shorts....but it was just up the street...

i commute to work with riding jeans, mesh jacket, gloves, FF helmet, and riding sneakers....i change into slacks,shirt, dress shoes at work....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:31 am quote
Sort of like Jim said... the circumstances are my guide. Yeah you can get hurt running out for some milk but when it is 30 degrees Celsius out I am not wearing full gear. Helmet of course and 85% of the time gloves. Also depends on the bike I'm on. I feel most secure on the Ural as I am not going to tip and the BMW as a bigger bike I gear up more for. The Vespa I will once in a while wear shorts but feel vulnerable at times but ugh it's been a HOT summer.

In short gloves, helmet and reasonable shoes are a must. Flip flops are a fashion disaster in my mind anyway and TBH I really do not like toes so maybe that is it... My usual minimum though is at least an aviator helmet, jeans and gloves no matter what bike. For a hard/fast ride I gear up a LOT more . As the OP is on a 50CC I don't see too many hard rides happening.

YES you can get really messed up even on a smallie but the same goes for a bicycle. Even on a bicycle though I think a helmet and sure sometimes gloves is a good idea. The thing about gloves is you will instinctively use your hands when you go down and there is not a lot of meat on our hands so pavement will chew it up. There are plenty of light weight gloves that still offer protection. On a 50 though.. meh I can forgive it as most cyclists don't wear them either. The risk factor is up the rider up to the point of a helmet. A helmet is a no brainer and not wearing one can result in no brainer taking on a different meaning.
Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am quote
Modern mesh jackets and pants can be quite comfortable up to about 100 F and provide excellent protection. You just have to get used to wearing it. Moto gear is specifically tailored and is quite comfy. Avoid dark colors, especially black as they soak up the heat.

Good riding gloves (properly contoured and armored) and decent ventilated boots can also be had for warm weather riding. I went out the other day for a short ride with full gear and it was 96 F. I hardly noticed my gear.

It's a personal choice, wear what you want to mitigate the risk of injury to a level that is acceptable for you. At a bare minimum - helmet, gloves and boots.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:53 am quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
Modern mesh jackets and pants can be quite comfortable up to about 100 F and provide excellent protection. You just have to get used to wearing it. Moto gear is specifically tailored and is quite comfy. Avoid dark colors, especially black as they soak up the heat.

Good riding gloves (properly contoured and armored) and decent ventilated boots can also be had for warm weather riding. I went out the other day for a short ride with full gear and it was 96 F. I hardly noticed my gear.

It's a personal choice, wear what you want to mitigate the risk of injury to a level that is acceptable for you. At a bare minimum - helmet, gloves and boots.
I fully agree but the problem with even mesh jackets in a city like Toronto is that even now with less traffic you still get stuck in it and the jacket makes it way worse when standing still. If you are in a situation when you will be moving most of the time the mesh armour is fantastic. So if I am leaving dodge or I know the traffic will be light I put a mesh armoured jacket on. If it is really hot and I'm going to be sitting in traffic half the time and rarely going above 30 mph I just have to go t-shirt. I know, I know but man this summer has been brutally hot and the one I have worn the least gear in to date.
Enthusiast
í20 GTS 300 hpe
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:13 pm quote
ATGATT for me
As I am typing this, the real-feel temperatures in my neighborhood is over 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40 Celsius).

Still, I will wear a full face helmet (ECE/DOT), mesh jacket (with shoulder, elbow and back armor), boots, riding jeans (with hip and knee protectors) and summer gloves. According to what I read, most fatal accidents happen at speeds of 35mph or less. Easy to see: If you are going 25mph on a moped and collide with traffic coming towards you at the same speed, thatís like hitting a wall at 50mph. Most heads and limbs deteriorate quickly under those conditions I would think, no?

So saying you donít ride far, have a moped, small displacement engine, or are careful does not protect you anymore from injury than riding farther, or on a powerful bike. Statistics prove that.

What I will do in the summer: plan so I donít have toi be stopped that much in traffic, even if that means a longer route and wearing cooling gear. Simple things like neck gaiters, skull caps and base layers that are made for the heat keep me cool through evaporation.

I ride past plenty of people in t-shirts and similar gear, but
a) I donít want to act like a squid
b) not covering bare skin leads to even more heat exposure and
c) Iím riding my own ride

[lol the heat is getting to me, multiple edits for the header]
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 pm quote
Apart from gloves and a helmet I just wear whatever clothes I am wearing that day. I do ride in shorts and tees in hot weather but still use gloves!
Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150ABS
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:02 pm quote
I live in a beach area in Delaware where helmets are optional. I see people riding scoots and big bikes in shorts, tees and flip flops. No helmet. I think them all foolish. A 30 mph dump will be skin graft city and probably a head injury. My summer mesh jacket stays very cool if I am moving along. My summer mesh pants over light shorts are fine too. Always a modular helmet, mesh gloves and mc shoes. Sure it would be great to fly free of the gear but I want to keep as much skin as possible!
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:06 pm quote
I say that it is your life and your choice to wear whatever you want.

As I have ridden more over the years, I, personally, have been wearing a mesh jacket more than in my early riding.

I also wear gloves more.

And shorts much less often than before.

I have always worn a helmet.

It is mostly to make the ride more comfortable with a small thought towards safety.

The properly fitted jacket dampens the flapping of clothing greatly, making for a much smoother ride.

The helmet does the same. I find it way too noisy and blustery to ride without one.

Shorts let the air get under the pant leg and ride up uncomfortably, so long pants are much better. I look for lightweight, light colored pants in the summer.

As for shoes, I am lately wearing high top leather Vans for big rides. I wear them other times as well as they are so comfortable. I never wear flip flops or sandals while riding.

So, I wear extra gear for comfort, but appreciate the added safety.

Bill
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:07 pm quote
jimc wrote:
"Let the Rider Decide" is my philosophy.

If I'm hooning around the twisties giving it some beans, I'd be wearing the full caboodle.

If I'm just nipping down the road at this time of year I'd be in T-shirt, shorts and sandals. Definitely no flip-flops:

Lessons From Hit & Run in San Francisco
More or less my philosophy: We're a mile from the beach/boardwalk in these parts, straight-shot. If that's my sole destination, it's helmet, gloves, and sneakers I can kick off quickly, or, if I'm feeling more freewheeling, closed-toe sandals like Keens (I have Crocs that are similar). Otherwise, short road rides make me break out the jacket (mesh for right now, sport-touring for Winter, armored corduroy for in-between); anything longer, add armored jeans and moto boots.
Enthusiast
2008 Vespa GTS 250ie
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:23 pm quote
I wear my gloves, boots and helmet and an armored jacket whether riding in my little town in rural NH or on 100+ mile excursions across the state.

Yesterday we did a 100 mile roundtrip in 97 F heat in the blazing sun and I was in full gear. Reading stories on here has scared me into always suiting up. I see motorcyclists going 70 mph on the highway sans helmet and jacket all the time. My husband says he would ride in just a T-shirt if riding around town because he says he feels he is confident handling his bike no matter the situation, but he does suit up on our longer rides.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:33 pm quote
Momnipotent2k wrote:
I wear my gloves, boots and helmet and an armored jacket whether riding in my little town in rural NH or on 100+ mile excursions across the state.

Yesterday we did a 100 mile roundtrip in 97 F heat in the blazing sun and I was in full gear. Reading stories on here has scared me into always suiting up. I see motorcyclists going 70 mph on the highway sans helmet and jacket all the time. My husband says he would ride in just a T-shirt if riding around town because he says he feels he is confident handling his bike no matter the situation, but he does suit up on our longer rides.
Story: Two weeks ago, I was heading home from a tech gig in NYC, and was on the Garden State Parkway in 65mph traffic when I was passed on my right by a guy on a loud Ninja literbike, likely doing between 90 and 100, in a muscle-tee and cargo shorts. That seems to be the sportbike uniform in these parts, but all I can do is shake my head. And I've never seen one of these guys snagged by Johnny Law, either.
2020 Vespa 300 GTS Super Notte HPE
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:51 pm quote
I used to do a lot of long distance road biking (bicycles). It wasn't uncommon to (at times) see 40-45+ mph when riding in a group draft. I've seen folks go down at speeds less than 20mph, and they required a ride to the hospital in the back of an ambulance. That being said, through the years I've been guilty of riding motorcycles (and now my Vespa) in less than ideal clothing. I live in a very quiet "golf" community, and sometimes like to just go for a ride in my neighborhood to unwind from sitting at my desk working all day. While I definitely always wear a helmet, proper shoes, and gloves, I typically do these rides in shorts/tshirt...but I'm typically tooling around at bicycle speeds. However, if I know I'm going to be on any roads with traffic where the speed limit is 30+ I'll typically gear up with what I currently have. Full face helmet, armored gloves, light colored mesh jacket with D30 armor, jeans and sneakers (I know, jeans and sneakers aren't necessarily proper riding attire, but that's what I have right now...I'm working on it!). I did an 80 mile round trip this weekend that included riding on the highway. I felt MUCH better doing so in clothing that was more appropriate. Still, I saw a lot of folks tooling around in shorts, t-shirts and little novelty beanie helmets like they hadn't a care in the world. I've been there...never again. More power to them.

I was chatting with someone the other day and they sort of snickered when I told them about the gear I wore when riding...my only comment to them is that the asphalt feels the same at 30mph regardless of whether you fall off a Ducati or a scooter. And at the end of the day, the only person responsible for MY skin is ME...so I do all I can to keep as much of it as possible!
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:01 pm quote
I wear a helmet. The rest, optional.

unnamed.jpg

Enthusiast
2007 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie, 2003 Genuine Stella
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:26 pm quote
I have had 3 offs, in my time riding. All 3 times my head hit the pavement. I dont understand how in the eff people ride without helmets. Its clearly stupid and I feel you should pay premium insurance for your policy if you ride without one. Very unfair for everyone else to pay for your veggie ass if/when something happens to you.

Thats said, Im a squid for the most part. LOL. Gloves and helmet is it. Shorts, track pants, jeans and a hoodie or tshirt is my jam usually.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:42 pm quote
SubSeven wrote:
I have had 3 offs, in my time riding. All 3 times my head hit the pavement. I dont understand how in the eff people ride without helmets. Its clearly stupid and I feel you should pay premium insurance for your policy if you ride without one. Very unfair for everyone else to pay for your veggie ass if/when something happens to you.

Thats said, Im a squid for the most part. LOL. Gloves and helmet is it. Shorts, track pants, jeans and a hoodie or tshirt is my jam usually.
And yet you call other people stupid.

I'm with Jim here. You do you, I'll not criticize.
But your question was what do I do, so, here's what I do.

I commute 65 miles each way on Interstate, 70MPH roads. Full gear.
I ride with my wife on a Can Am Spyder. Everything but the armored pants.
I ride in town on my GTS. Usually everything but the armored pants. Sometimes casual lace up shoes.

I desperately try to avoid stop-and-go traffic, so sitting still is rare.

Now, if I lived a few blocks from a beach in Florida, and rode a 50cc scooter to get there, I'm sorta in the bicycle frame of mind when I say I may just go with a nicely vented bicycle helmet and casual clothes. I have gone over 50 MPH on a bicycle, rather frequently over 40 MPH (down hill of course), and can maintain ~20 MPH on flats. So to compare a 50cc scooter to me on a bicycle is more or less fair. Lace up shoes though; I probably draw the line there. I say probably because I'm in Wisconsin; not a lot of salt water beaches around.
Enthusiast
2007 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie, 2003 Genuine Stella
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:57 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
SubSeven wrote:

And yet you call other people stupid.

I'm with Jim here. You do you, I'll not criticize.
But your question was what do I do, so, here's what I do.

I commute 65 miles each way on Interstate, 70MPH roads. Full gear.
I ride with my wife on a Can Am Spyder. Everything but the armored pants.
I ride in town on my GTS. Usually everything but the armored pants. Sometimes casual lace up shoes.

I desperately try to avoid stop-and-go traffic, so sitting still is rare.

Now, if I lived a few blocks from a beach in Florida, and rode a 50cc scooter to get there, I'm sorta in the bicycle frame of mind when I say I may just go with a nicely vented bicycle helmet and casual clothes. I have gone over 50 MPH on a bicycle, rather frequently over 40 MPH (down hill of course), and can maintain ~20 MPH on flats. So to compare a 50cc scooter to me on a bicycle is more or less fair. Lace up shoes though; I probably draw the line there. I say probably because I'm in Wisconsin; not a lot of salt water beaches around.
Yup. If you ride without a helmet your a full blown moron. Head hits at 90% at anything over 10mph. Skin grows back and bones heal. Head injuries are the gift that keeps on giving and usually at everyone elses dime.
Ossessionato
'15 Blue GTS300 Super, '18 White GTS300 Super
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:29 pm quote
I always wear a helmet, usually did before it became a legal requirement. Usually gloves. Then I dress for the temperature, shorts and sandals in summer.

Been riding Vespa scooters for over 60 years, and my last accident (very minor) was about 35 years ago, so I guess I ride defensively enough.

If I had to wear all the gear, I would rather just use the car. Scootering for me is all about freedom and being in the world, not in a box.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 pm quote
The ocean on this coast keeps the air humid and cool, nearly year-round.

I only have one jacket and one pair of motopants (Uglybros Motorpool-K). As long as I'm moving, they keep me pretty comfortable, regardless of the outside temperature. (It can get sweltering to be walking around in full gear, even on a temperate day.)

I have friends who like to scoot in their city attire, and they get uncomfortably cold quickly on long rides.

Good gear doesn't just protect you if you hit the ground - it should also keep you comfortable enough that you can ride at 100% mental capacity, to avoid hitting the ground in the first place.
Enthusiast
í20 GTS 300 hpe
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:48 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
ÖGood gear doesnít just protect you if you hit the ground - it should also keep you comfortable enough that you can ride at 100% mental capacity, to avoid hitting the ground in the first place.
+1
Hooked
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:33 pm quote
If Iím going out for a long day ride Iíll dress up to protect from developing skin cancer. That means a long sleeve shirt with a collar(to protect the back of the neck) and gloves. I try to cover any exposed skin.
Enthusiast
2020 GTS 300 Super
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:07 pm quote
I hadn't had a bike in 35 years, but I didn't wear most of the kind of gear I do now. Before they were finished prepping my GTS 300, I went shopping for a helmet and gloves. The gloves are armored and the helmet is modular, but I wear the chin bar all the time, which is made of the same material as the helmet.

By the time I got home, 640 miles from the dealer, a mesh jacket with CE armor had arrived. I rode a few times before my boots came, but now I have athletic style armored boots that go way past my ankles. Last week a pair of knee/shin protectors came for when I ride with regular pants and today a pair of jeans-looking pants arrived that have 6-second skid protection and pockets for armor.

One of my problems is vanity, so looks/style always plays a role in what I wear, but I also want to protect my 70-year old brittle skin and bones (and a lot of fat). Consequently, I have received clothing in the mail that I either returned or have plans to resell (one company won't take a pair of boots back that I wore a few times, but they gave me a $70.00 refund out of the 220.00 I paid).

Riding gear is not the same as wearing a mask. If you don't wear good riding gear, it might only hurt you. If you don't wear a mask around me, you might kill me. So I got no judgement about your choice of riding gear. And to be honest, I enjoy watching videos of young beautiful women wearing very little on or around their bikes. Makes me forget I'm old and wrinkled.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:30 am quote
I'm 'lucky' to live in relatively cold environment, heat is seldom a factor.
On the contrary, it's coldness that I'm typically fighting against.

So, for me, full armour is most of the time also the most comfortable riding gear - proper riding pants with a zipper waist to attach them to the jacket, riding jacket, boots, cloves, full face helmet. Tube neck scarf to keep bugs out of the helmet.

When it's hot, and that' means only around 80F in here, I'll use riding jeans for shorter rides and swap to my old riding leather jacket.

This all for 'riding' i. e. commuting or going for a ride with varying speed and distance.
For a shop hop around the corner, it can be shorts & T-shirt, helmet, cloves and bicycle speed. Well, actually no shorts with my current bike as it has upswept pipes

IMG_20200720_190652__01__01.jpg
A pic from yesterday - my typical riding scene. Lone, curvy roads with rough(ish) surface.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:24 am quote
I dress for the weather and adjust my riding to what I am wearing.
If it is cool and I have gear on I ride hard, hot with shorts and a tee short I ride very carefully for the most part.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 am quote
Only going to about 27C today so Iím wearing mesh armour. This afternoon though if the sun blazes and Iím out it will probably go in the bikes storage. If Iím hitting the expressway Iíll toss it on but worry less around the city. Like I said traffic is starting to get back to almost normal levels here. Normal levels downtown pretty much means gridlock.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:30 am quote
Just one more thing, Lieutenant...
I also recently just purchased one of those sweat/heat/moisture wicking shirts and caps for the helmet. My hair appears to grow faster in the summer and it gets stuffy in the helmet the longer I keep the top and I either dunk my head before an afternoon (hot) ride, or will use the skull cap when it gets to me.
Hooked
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:46 am quote
Gloves and helmet minimum...
True story. I knew a guy who took a spill at about 40 mph who went down on his naked hands and degloved his right hand (that's full thickness skin shearing off exposing the muscle and bone), requiring a skin graft from his butt. To this day he swears his fingers stink real bad but he never forgets his gloves when he rides!

Flip flops are a no no but I do wear thick leather Jesus boot sandals with a basket weave covered heel and toe on hot days. Town riding, hot day= gloves, open face helmet, shorts, light jacket and sandals. Big road=Full face helmet, gloves, armored jeans and armored jacket with boots, whatever the weather.

Some even ride nekkid hereabouts too!
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:25 am quote
I'm in SoFla and yeah it get hot but I gear up. Shorts and t shirt under mesh.

There is plenty of information out there so do your homework and decide.

Now whenever anyone says to me "it's only 35 or 40 mph" I just say "Next time you're driving down the street at 35 or 40 open the door and think about jumping out."

Other than that whatever people choose to do is their business!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 am quote
Some good points here and yup we're all adults and choose what risks we are willing to take.

One thing that has not come up (I think) is training. NOT laying the scoot/bike down in the first place is way less painful than getting in to an accident. Many riding schools offer advanced courses that teach defensive riding skills and best practices. They do not replace armour but can absolutely help with your skills and just maybe save your ass in a bad situation.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.3264s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0907s) ][ Debug on ]