Clothing whilst riding
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Molto Verboso
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:57 am quote
jimc wrote:
"Let the Rider Decide" is my philosophy.

If I'm hooning around the twisties giving it some beans, I'd be wearing the full caboodle.

If I'm just nipping down the road at this time of year I'd be in T-shirt, shorts and sandals. Definitely no flip-flops:

Lessons From Hit & Run in San Francisco
I read that guy's flip-flop horror story.
We never got an update?
Cheez....did he keep his toe, foot and leg?
O.S.
2012 GTS300
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:44 am quote
May I humbly suggest gear from

www.brosh.com

Israeli company with some very light weight garb. I have one of their jackets.

I'll be taking it to Houston next week to get my sidecar installed. I get a few hours instruction included in purchase.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:53 am quote
djginwis wrote:

www.brosh.com

I'll be taking it to Houston next week to get my sidecar installed. I get a few hours instruction included in purchase.
What is their international shipping like? I've been bitten in the ass too many times with extra customs fees when ordering overseas. It is something people need to be aware of. A simple Google search shows no local suppliers.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:38 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
djginwis wrote:

www.brosh.com

What is their international shipping like? I've been bitten in the ass too many times with extra customs fees when ordering overseas. It is something people need to be aware of. A simple Google search shows no local suppliers.
+Registered air mail shipment 6-10 days price 15USD..Add another item up to 2lb and save 60% on shipment !

https://www.brosh.com/jackets/%20%20hot%20weather%20summer-motorcycle-jacket-containing-kevlar-yellow

Molto Verboso
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:20 pm quote
I bet their close fitting, all-black jackets are toasty in the middle-east along the med.
Very commando looking....and add the black helmet.

O.S.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:38 pm quote
OldSchooot wrote:
I bet their close fitting, all-black jackets are toasty in the middle-east along the med.
Very commando looking....and add the black helmet.

O.S.
The link I posted above shows a jacket that is mostly hi-viz yellow.
And I'm sure all black jackets get warm pretty much anywhere the temperature climbs to 100F; say, Arizona for instance. Or maybe even Ohio in August.

Commando? All black with black helmet strikes me as more ninja. To be commando I picture either bare arms and camouflage or, um,
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 pm quote
djginwis wrote:

www.brosh.com

Not as stylish, but much more affordable than my Uglybros.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm quote
OldSchooot wrote:
jimc wrote:
"Let the Rider Decide" is my philosophy.

If I'm hooning around the twisties giving it some beans, I'd be wearing the full caboodle.

If I'm just nipping down the road at this time of year I'd be in T-shirt, shorts and sandals. Definitely no flip-flops:

Lessons From Hit & Run in San Francisco
I read that guy's flip-flop horror story.
We never got an update?
Cheez....did he keep his toe, foot and leg?
O.S.
Sounds like he did stop riding after that.
2012 GTS300
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:54 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
djginwis wrote:

www.brosh.com

Not as stylish, but much more affordable than my Uglybros.
They've gotten more stylish since I bought my jacket years ago.
Enthusiast
'10 GTS300 Super
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:31 am quote
A thread about riding gear is a lot like an oil thread, no end to the opinions!

But that said, from a 76 year old rider with 62 years of riding experience, I subscribe to Toreador Pants but have modified it a bit for the scooter and the CanAm Spyder: half helmet vs full face and low top shoes vs boots. I've crashed a number of times and all but once my helmet touched down.

A friend of mine summed it up pretty well with what he told a HD riding neighbor who rode in shorts and T-shirt: Run down the street as fast as you can run and then throw yourself down on the pavement. That would be about the same as falling on your bike at 10-15 miles an hour.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:40 am quote
PJG. You've gotten lots of advice on here. I thought I'd send you a link to a post I did more than a year ago. I got hit for the first time ever and I've been riding for decades. Someone hit me. The post shows the impact on my armored clothing and helmet. Except for some bruises, I survived it and didn't have any open wounds. Had I not been wearing all that gear, I'd have permanent scarring, and my face would be permanently disfigured.

As other have said, the choice is yours but you should at least know the implications.

Click

Best of luck with your decision. Nice bike BTW.

Miguel
Addicted
2006 GT200L "Lone Star"-Sold, 2006 Yamaha Majesty YP400
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:30 am quote
Boots, gloves, armored jacket, high viz vest, FF helmet all the time. Armored pants sometimes but long pants or overalls (heavy duck material) all the time.

It's always a personal choice what to wear, but since I can't choose what the cage drivers do around me, I like to improve my chances of surviving everything but a catastrophic accident.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:23 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
djginwis wrote:

www.brosh.com

+Registered air mail shipment 6-10 days price 15USD..Add another item up to 2lb and save 60% on shipment !

https://www.brosh.com/jackets/%20%20hot%20weather%20summer-motorcycle-jacket-containing-kevlar-yellow

USPS usually avoids the extra custom fees.
Hooked
GTS Super Sport
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:49 am quote
I've been enjoying wearing a denim shirt from Chrome that is made from a special abrasion resistant fabric, dyneema or something similar.

It's good to have a range of jackets and gear. I like to wear gear that looks like normal clothes as I ride my Vespa everywhere I go sometimes it seems.

Never get on the bike without a jacket/riding shirt, boots, gloves, helmet and pants.
Hooked
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:49 am quote
I fully understand you heavy commuters and highwayriders, but...

I will be a happy man when this Italian style is available in kevlar that will not make me sweat. This kind of look was on my mind, when I bought my first Vespa 15 years ago.

6B82CADF-C5A4-4EDD-95B3-9845E3803FB1.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:52 am quote
How does he maintain that perfectly dishevelled hair post helmet?
Hooked
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:57 am quote
He is italian. They do not have post helmet problems. Ask Attila. He can confirm.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:52 am quote
kaukari wrote:
I fully understand you heavy commuters and highwayriders, but...

I will be a happy man when this Italian style is available in kevlar that will not make me sweat. This kind of look was on my mind, when I bought my first Vespa 15 years ago.
I don't strive for that sense of style anymore. I used to though.

I have three armored jackets that i like. Two of them are 4 season jakckets with lots of snap on layers and zippers. I feel warm and protected above 40 degrees F.
GTS 300 Super
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 am quote
I'm an older GTS300 rider, been reading this thread with interest and appreciate everyone's comments.

I try to stay off busy roads and take side streets as much as possible. Most of my riding is close to home and in a state park a mile away that has a 25mph speed limit. Of course, there is always a risk to riding, even under these circumstances. I'm a safe car driver, but the proportion of idiot drivers seems to have gone viral.

A mesh jacket with CE armor seems a good idea. I have riding gloves, will check on mesh. I work with my hands, so I want to protect them so I can continue make a living (and for other purposes).

What's the best leg and foot protection?

Are boots definitely better than shoes? I've never been a boot wearer but it seems reasonable they could protect more.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:39 am quote
shortwave wrote:
What's the best leg and foot protection?

Are boots definitely better than shoes? I've never been a boot wearer but it seems reasonable they could protect more.
Probably a lot of scooterists ride in jeans or less, but they don't last long sliding on pavement. Kevlar-reinforced jeans will save your skin, protective motorcycle pants with armor in knees and hips are ideal. In another discussion, I happened to recall a fall I had in college...booking it across wet grass, slipped and fell just before a sidewalk. Hit my hip on the side, shorts slid up and I had a nice abrasion and bruise that left me limping around for a week or two. If you can do that at less than 10 mph, I can imagine several simple scenarios on a scooter many times worse.....

Boots, definitely. I can tell you from experience how painful it is to have your ankle pinned under a floorboard, and how long it takes to heal the abrasion. At least cover the ankles, some padding is even better. There's a recent thread covering the subject...

Mentioning age....this doesn't get talked about as much as it should be, but we get more fragile as we age, no matter how tough we feel. Bones can break more easily, ligaments and tendons are weaker, and our brains more susceptible to impact. Gear makes good sense at any age, but it's importance rises significantly with age.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:44 pm quote
Okay, great question. This is the ONLY thing that has disappointed me about my Vespa experience.

I live in cut-offs, tank tops, and flip flops in the warmer months. And before I bought my scoot, I imagined flying around on it in my usual get-up of summer.

But I never do. EVER. I gear up in at least jeans, hi-tops, leather jacket, gloves, and a full-face. Every. Single. Time.

The excessive clothing in hot weather is a barrier for me. And it definitely reduces my summer riding time. But when I weigh the risk vs benefit, I realize I value my flesh and skin more than I thought. Imagining half of my leg or hand slimed across the asphalt motivates me to protect myself.

When I see the teenagers flying around town in cutoffs and flip-flips, though, I feel a small pang of jealousy.

Oh, to be so young and carefree....

(and when I move to the south of France in my next life phase, all bets are off!)
GTS 300 Super
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:43 pm quote
This thread prompted me to think more carefully about safety. It's been decades since I spilled, with no particular harm done to me or my raggedy P200 at the time.

But I am aware that being older (in my 60s) means my body is more fragile and would take more time to heal. And I'm still a working man and hope to be for some time in the future, so it behooves me not to screw up my body unnecessarily.

I would imagine the value of boots is to prevent skin injury but also prevent a forced movement around the ankle. I can see that the weight of a floorboard on my ankle would not be a good thing. Don't know if the boots need to be stiff, steel-tipped or anything in particular.

I did some quick searching and it doesn't seem like a mesh/CE jacket is hard to find. But I'm not sure what to get for leg protection. I didn't find the same sort of mesh options for trousers or leg covers, not sure if the same level of protection is required. Also still trying to determine the value of mesh/CE over a sturdy, thick leather jacket.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2929s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0595s) ][ Debug on ]