Clutch does not seem to be working
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Vespa 50 Special and Vespa LX 50
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 pm quote
I had to change the clutch cable on my Vespa 50 Special and now it seems not to be working.

I have seen a couple of videos online on how to change the cable and I believe that i have changed it correctly.

Now when I press the clutch it does not go to neutral - I have tried to press it with my fingers directly on the wheel but it does not work.

My question is: Can the clutch brake by just changing the cable or am i doing something wrong here?
Vespa 50 Special and Vespa LX 50
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:21 am quote
To answer my own question
What is very important to understand is that the clutch arm doesn't actually engage the clutch until further in its travel. Push the arm with your finger towards the front of the bike. You'll feel some resistance and then a very definite stop. This is the green arrow area above. This stop point is where the arm makes contact with the clutch and if you were able to push much harder (in the red arrow area) you'd start to disengage the clutch. Many people are making the mistake that the initial travel is where the clutch arm is disengaging the clutch.

https://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/vespa.clutch.cable.html

I found this video of a guy connecting the clutch.

vespa.clutch.13.jpg

Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:08 am quote
Try pulling the lever and kicking over the motor, I went through this and found this way gave a good answer if its working or not. Perhaps you haven't adjusted the clutch cable up tight enough?
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:18 am quote
One other common problem Iíve found with smallframe Clutches/ gearboxes is you may not be able to go from 2nd to neutral if you are stopped in second and squeezing the clutch. Sometimes the handle wont turn to neutral. It is common and just roll the scooter forward a small bit and it will be able to pop into neutral.
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:27 am quote
Re: To answer my own question
torulv wrote:
What is very important to understand is that the clutch arm doesn't actually engage the clutch until further in its travel. Push the arm with your finger towards the front of the bike. You'll feel some resistance and then a very definite stop. This is the green arrow area above. This stop point is where the arm makes contact with the clutch and if you were able to push much harder (in the red arrow area) you'd start to disengage the clutch. Many people are making the mistake that the initial travel is where the clutch arm is disengaging the clutch.

https://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/vespa.clutch.cable.html

I found this video of a guy connecting the clutch.

I didn't watch the video, but you are correct. I adjust mine by pulling the arm underneath with my fingers and taking out most of the slack but not all. You need some slack, so clutch parts are constantly touching and wear out or burn up parts. Its the same process as a full size motorcycle with a cable. You should have some free play or pull in the handle between the mount and handle. I like to use a quarter or two in my country, I can always take out slack if needed. Looks like you should be using a 10 kronor or so to start with. Its just very important to have some slack!
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:22 pm quote
Re: To answer my own question
torulv wrote:
thanks for the link. About to do the clutch cable and have never worked on classics before. This really helped. It's really just like a shifter on a bicycle.
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1434s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0319s) ][ Debug on ]