[NSR] What small things give you joy?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9233
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:35 am quote
Especially in these days of pandemic, it's more challenging than ever finding happiness...so many of our usual outlets are suddenly cut off.

So, with a later start at work this morning, I found myself volunteering to hang out the wash....just completed a new clothesline and being Mr. Green at home, wind of being the promoter of such. Beautiful, low humidity day, sunshine, birds singing, repetitively grabbing wet wash and pinning it up. Just felt good, and for a short time, everything was well in the world.

So, have you found anything that moves you toward happiness in these trying times?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7143
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:31 am quote
Picture is worth.....

Glad we have a large private outdoor space during these times and believe me that is incredibly rare where we live. They do not build condos like ours anymore and most just have a tiny balcony. Dogs... SO glad we have our little girl as she puts a smile on our faces and could care less what is going on in the world. Unconditional love is a very special thing.

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2492.jpeg

Ossessionato
2010 ThunderFly 190, 2008 250 GTS
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 2735
Location: Springboro, OH
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am quote
I also enjoy the outdoor space at home tremendously.

Sitting in a chair with a cold beer or cocktail, listening to music while the light of day fades away.

back deck at night.jpg

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 4352
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:37 pm quote
Nothing brings joy as much as pressure washing the back patio.

Pressure.jpg

Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Posts: 2392
Location: Finland
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:01 pm quote
First time in our current home, we have a small flock of sparrows hanging around in our garden.

There's something very energizing in their chirping!

3113.jpg
Like this.

Addicted
'66 Super 150
Joined: 11 Jul 2017
Posts: 617
Location: MN
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:35 pm quote
I see that hanging out in an intimate outdoor space is a popular answer. I am no exception and enjoy my sunny afternoons these days looking proudly at my banana trees.

I’ve tried growing them before and failed, but this year is a success!

Fledermaus, what a nice thread and nice focus. The small things really add up, don’t they?

35BC4AC5-D044-4A5A-871F-85D8DD7D172A.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7143
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:38 pm quote
RRider wrote:
First time in our current home, we have a small flock of sparrows hanging around in our garden.

There's something very energizing in their chirping!
Funny you mentioned sparrows as I was also thinking about it. We have at least 30 that call our PH rooftop deck home turf and especially in the morning we love watching them hop around our deck and flirt in and out of our little potted trees.

Our bedroom is 2 floors down from the deck and when it's cooler with the windows open we can hear them and it is a great way to wake up.

IMG_2244.jpeg

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 2705
Location: San Jose, CA
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:25 pm quote
Brought home a new puppy. Small for now, but he's a Great Pyrenees so it gonna get big.

file-2.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7143
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:29 pm quote
TroutBum wrote:
Brought home a new puppy. Small for now, but he's a Great Pyrenees so it gonna get big.
Congrats! Oh and yeah those paws are only tiny indication of what you are going to get... The one in my pic earlier is full grown at about 5 pounds which is a full pound bigger than our last one...

Oh and he is adorable but you know that...
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 2705
Location: San Jose, CA
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:35 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
TroutBum wrote:
Brought home a new puppy. Small for now, but he's a Great Pyrenees so it gonna get big.
Congrats! Oh and yeah those paws are only tiny indication of what you are going to get... The one in my pic earlier is full grown at about 5 pounds which is a full pound bigger than our last one...

Oh and he is adorable but you know that...
I tried to stay with a medium sized breed, but the wife and kids just fell for the adorable factor. lol
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Posts: 821
Location: Herriman, Utah
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:29 pm quote
Re: [NSR] What small things give you joy?
fledermaus wrote:
Especially in these days of pandemic, it's more challenging than ever finding happiness...so many of our usual outlets are suddenly cut off.

So, with a later start at work this morning, I found myself volunteering to hang out the wash....just completed a new clothesline and being Mr. Green at home, wind of being the promoter of such. Beautiful, low humidity day, sunshine, birds singing, repetitively grabbing wet wash and pinning it up. Just felt good, and for a short time, everything was well in the world.

So, have you found anything that moves you toward happiness in these trying times?
People actually still do that?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9233
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 am quote
Re: [NSR] What small things give you joy?
Lebo wrote:
People actually still do that?
It may have devolved into a cult.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8552
Location: KS USA
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 am quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Nothing brings joy as much as pressure washing the back patio.
There is something special about playing with water especially when it's so hot outside.

I am trying to entertain myself watching old DVDs. I keep watching them over and over again with different subtitles and the commentary from the director, the producer and some of the actors and actresses as well.
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 1460
Location: Berlin
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:29 am quote
People actually still watch DVDs?
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 4090
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:33 am quote
We have taken in four feral kittens, despite my refusal to have any more pets. My daughter found them in front of her house and said that one of them had face coloring that looked like a skull.

"Call it Skully," I opined.

And you can call one of the others, "Mulder"! I finished.

Next thing you know, Mrs. mpfrank and I are adopting Skully and Mulder. The next thing after that, Skully, Mulder, Fluffy Kitty, and Little Black Kitty are living in an enclosure in our house while we attempt to habilitate them.

Pressure is on for us to keep three of them, which I am so far successfully resisting.

They are certainly cute little things, and all of them except Skully are taking well to being handled and petted.

I have always had cats as pets, but after the last one, who was not a happy kitty, died, I decided that I had had enough. That one was also a rescue kitty the same daughter brought back from college.

This pandemic is messing with my head.
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 921
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire (USA)
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:26 pm quote
Very nice thread... I'm enjoying hanging out on my deck, still walking most days (weather allowing), going for rides on the scoot (I'm embarrassed to say, not so many) or my convertible, watching the birds, listening to music.
Luckily, I'm fairly easy to entertain, which has come in handy in this pandemic mess...

I haven't had any pets in a while, but find myself looking at cats and occasionally dogs, too... One never knows...


Last edited by Nautiker on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 3354
Location: pacifica,ca.
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:23 pm quote
my backyard

sharp park nova 004 (2).JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9233
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
We have taken in four feral kittens, despite my refusal to have any more pets. My daughter found them in front of her house and said that one of them had face coloring that looked like a skull.

"Call it Skully," I opined.

And you can call one of the others, "Mulder"! I finished.

Next thing you know, Mrs. mpfrank and I are adopting Skully and Mulder. The next thing after that, Skully, Mulder, Fluffy Kitty, and Little Black Kitty are living in an enclosure in our house while we attempt to habilitate them.

Pressure is on for us to keep three of them, which I am so far successfully resisting.

They are certainly cute little things, and all of them except Skully are taking well to being handled and petted.

I have always had cats as pets, but after the last one, who was not a happy kitty, died, I decided that I had had enough. That one was also a rescue kitty the same daughter brought back from college.

This pandemic is messing with my head.
Cats...always had at least one. Since marriage, we've slowly increased to now three. #2 arrive because #1 was too standoffish. Then my wife hit a bit of a rough spot at work and her and daughter came home with #3. I wasn't all that happy, but he's a joy and entertaining as heck, so we're good. My wife thinks out daughter could round out her resume for college by volunteering and thought perhaps the humane society was a good choice. I suggested that we have quite enough cats already...
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Joined: 18 Mar 2013
Posts: 2658
Location: Lock Haven, PA
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:08 pm quote
Nautiker wrote:
Very nice thread... I'm enjoying hanging out on my deck, still walking most days (weather allowing), going for rides on the scoot (I'm embarrassed to say, not so many) or my convertible, watching the birds, listening music.
Luckily, I'm fairly easy to entertain, which has come in handy in this pandemic mess...

I haven't had any pets in a while, but find myself looking at cats and occasionally dogs, too... One never knows...
Dog!!!! I recommend a dog.

Not a puppy. Puppies are a lot of work. Get an old (senior) dog. They’re usually pretty chill, and whatever behaviors they have are pretty much there. I have a whole pack of old ones, and even though you don’t get as much time with them, it’s worth it for them. An old dog deserves a home where they can sleep in the sun, and fart whenever they want.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Joined: 18 Mar 2013
Posts: 2658
Location: Lock Haven, PA
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:11 pm quote
There’s a 16 year old dachshund at the local SPCA, and she’s cute and ancient, well behaved. Perfect for me, except I already have 5 now....

So my wife keeps working on me....
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Joined: 18 Mar 2013
Posts: 2658
Location: Lock Haven, PA
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:45 pm quote
This is princess. Her owner died recently. She’s 16. This is my idea of a perfect dog.

She’s supposedly house trained, gentle, used to living with an old lady.

To me, this is a million times more in line with my house than a puppy.

67357B2A-771F-4F2A-B9C0-24A64DEAA0A4.jpeg

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 2565
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:36 am quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
People actually still watch DVDs?
LOL, we're not all cutting-edge technobeasts.
Enthusiast
GTS 300
Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Location: SoCal
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 am quote
Even if the world is ending Taco Tuesday still endures and gives me joy.

Taco Tuesday.JPG

Enthusiast
'10 GTS300 Super
Joined: 05 Oct 2015
Posts: 57
Location: Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:16 am quote
I thought sitting outside on the patio with a cold beer as the twilight fades gave me a lot of joy. Then yesterday I rode my GTS for the first time in a year (I gave it to my daughter last year, it was stolen and then recovered and I put it back together and got it running yesterday.) The joy of getting it going and riding it was better than the beer!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7143
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:17 am quote
Half price plants and a pretty motorcycle make me happy.

E3B9ED2B-891A-418B-A566-1CC48F39B0F7.jpeg

Hooked
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
Joined: 07 Jun 2020
Posts: 144
Location: Finland
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:19 am quote
Your Ural made me happy. I never would have one, but always delighted when I see one. Unfortunately this happens very rarely
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 4352
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:12 am quote
After pressure washing the backyard patio, I have been enjoying happy hour IPAs every night when I return home from work.

In March through May, we had spectacular weather for backyard sitting.

June and July have been hot, but the mosquitoes even worse.

I do it anyway as I enjoy the company of my wife, our dogs and an occasional zoom session with fellow scooterists.

The glasses are part of my collection of beer glasses from European vacations.

Bill

IPA Dogs.jpg
The dogs in the backyard.

IPA Zoom.jpg
Zooming with fellow scooterists.

Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 413
Location: Doncaster UK
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:30 am quote
A nice pint of home brewed beer.

B8C2D90F-9A8B-40DF-9CDD-954F9B5E2CC1.jpeg

Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 235
Location: Chelyabinsk, Russia
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:37 am quote
Gardening... This year I had my first tiny mulberries. But considering I am at 4th USDA zone, they should not live here at all.
Meanwhile, this year I've planted several more mulberry and apricot plants. Totally rare here, but I am full of hopes.

IMG_20200618_110912.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8552
Location: KS USA
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:58 pm quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
People actually still watch DVDs?
😳 people like me yes. You cannot get the commentary and you don't have the versatility of subtitles with digital video.

But I am slowly getting in touch with all the new technology. I don't listen to any more CD's🤓
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 1460
Location: Berlin
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:18 am quote
That was posted more for cadence than contents. I have DVS, too.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 3144
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:03 am quote
I've barely gotten out of the cities this summer. Yesterday I took a ride over to Wisconin, had a delicious burger and shake at the drive-in, and stopped to take a couple of pictures of the fields. Normally I'm not a lover of corn fields but yesterday the tasseled fields were a refreshing change of scenery.

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9233
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:29 am quote
Looking at Bill's backyard happy hour photos work pretty well for me in a pinch.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9233
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:31 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
I've barely gotten out of the cities this summer. Yesterday I took a ride over to Wisconin, had a delicious burger and shake at the drive-in, and stopped to take a couple of pictures of the fields. Normally I'm not a lover of corn fields but yesterday the tasseled fields were a refreshing change of scenery.
I hope you didn't miss the chance for a selfie with that chicken!
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Posts: 235
Location: NJ
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:25 am quote
We got a rescue pup end of January, so mostly my wife and I obsess about every little insipid thing she does, like "criss-cross apple-sauce" her legs/paws. When it's nice out, I commute to work via scooter; this greatly improves my mood. There's a small town ice-cream shop -not a chain- that I like to frequent and give my business to. And, there's something really satisfying about the shock of cold air conditioning coming in after a hot muggy spell outside. Last, but not least, I enjoy the feel of clean fresh linens on the bed, and a freshly ironed (I do all the ironing) pile of laundry. And music -always music.
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1586
Location: Adelaide
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 pm quote
Found a butterfly sitting on the ground in the shade with its wings together. Don't know anything about butterflies, but not ideal as someone could step on it. So got a twig and moved it onto newspaper and then into the sun. Its wings opened up and maybe butterfly is happier. If butterfly is happy then that brings me joy.
Went back 10 mins later and it was gone (hope the cat didn't eat it )

IMG_20200725_094831336_HDR.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8552
Location: KS USA
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:16 pm quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
That was posted more for cadence than contents. I have DVS, too.
I thought it was a serious matter
Hooked
GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", MP3 500 Touring "the Donkey", '66 Honda Benly, Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", Jawa 350TS
Joined: 01 Jul 2011
Posts: 410
Location: Burlington ONT... Directly above the center of the earth.
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:57 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Half price plants and a pretty motorcycle make me happy.
I have heard Ural & Dnepr motorcycles described in many ways... pretty has never been one of them!

I painted mine bright yellow, that seemed to help.

Nice ride at any rate!
Molto Verboso
LXS 150
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1052
Location: The OTHER South Bay, CA
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:21 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Found a butterfly sitting on the ground in the shade with its wings together. Don't know anything about butterflies, but not ideal as someone could step on it. So got a twig and moved it onto newspaper and then into the sun. Its wings opened up and maybe butterfly is happier. If butterfly is happy then that brings me joy.
Went back 10 mins later and it was gone (hope the cat didn't eat it )
It likely flew off, happier. Insects are cold-blooded, and in cool weather sometimes need to warm up in the sun to be able to have the energy to fly.

https://www.lewisginter.org/butterflieswarming-up/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7143
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:47 pm quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Half price plants and a pretty motorcycle make me happy.
I have heard Ural & Dnepr motorcycles described in many ways... pretty has never been one of them!

I painted mine bright yellow, that seemed to help.

Nice ride at any rate!
I thought the flowers made her feel special .

But yeah pretty would not be how I’d usually describe my Russian ride.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1875s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0363s) ][ Debug on ]