P200E Headlights
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
PX150
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 am quote
The lights on my P200E used to work fine but have stopped working, I've checked the fuse (on the battery) and bulbs and all are fine and all the wiring looks ok. What else could it be? am i missing something obvious?

Cheers in advance

Tony
Hooked
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:45 am quote
Total lights failure is usually a sign of a dead regulator.

check that next and also while you are there, clean your earthing wire
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:08 am quote
What year is your p200e? If its the early years with the double yellow stator wires, that headlight power is unregulated and can blow bulbs. Some get a new headlight but add a cheap regulator for that headlight power wire.
PX150
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:30 am quote
Thanks I'll check out both of those, was thinking of replacing the regulator first, is that an easy thing to do?

Thanks again gents
Addicted
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:04 am quote
Tony B wrote:
Thanks I'll check out both of those, was thinking of replacing the regulator first, is that an easy thing to do?

Thanks again gents
It depends on your skill set but it is a relatively easy job.
But first you need to determine what type of stator you have (year of scooter). After determining what stator you have, and before throwing money at it, use a multimeter to determine if you're getting power from the stator to the headlight or regulator.

Again, what year is your P200e? This will help to tell if you have a double yellow stator or a single yellow stator. Very important in trouble shooting the problem.
PX150
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:24 am quote
Thanks rowdyc, confusingly it's a 2000 P200E with a newer PX150 engine in it. But the regulator looks old so i'll try that first you think yeah? Ta mate
PX150
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 am quote
[quote="Gravelrash2004"]
[quote="rowdyc"]

So I've put in a new regulator and battery qand cleaned and checked the wiring, all looks good. Even bought a new headlight and wired everything in clean. Now I'm getting a TINY bit of power to the headlight...minuscule brightness. What does that mean?

I haven't had the scooter long, it's a 1999/2000 P200E with a PX150 engine, all the lights were all working fine when I got it, not sure what I've done.

What else could it be?

Thanks again for your time both, cheers
Addicted
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:15 am quote
Lets see a pic of your regulator and a pic of your entire battery side. From there maybe we can tell what type of stator you have.

You're gonna need a multimeter but we can walk you through what wires to test from the regulator with that multimeter.
PX150
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 am quote
rowdyc wrote:
Lets see a pic of your regulator and a pic of your entire battery side. From there maybe we can tell what type of stator you have.

You're gonna need a multimeter but we can walk you through what wires to test from the regulator with that multimeter.
Thanks man, bloody thing's driving me mad but I've got a mate coming over tomorrow with a multimeter... will report back. Top man.
PX150
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:31 am quote
rowdyc wrote:

Thanks again for your help on this, a mate came round with a meter and found an earth short on the back light and all is working fine now!

Cheers
PX150
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:32 am quote
Gravelrash2004 wrote:
Total lights failure is usually a sign of a dead regulator.

check that next and also while you are there, clean your earthing wire
Thanks again for your help on this, a mate came round with a meter and found an earth short on the back light and all is working fine now!

Cheers
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2234s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0470s) ][ Debug on ]