Changing rear brake pads - detailed procedure?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Addicted
MP3 400 "Merlin"
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:31 am quote
Is there a detailed procedure or video on changing the rear brake pads on a 400? We have the rear wheel off at the moment to get a new tire mounted. The shop manual is vague, just says to "remove rear brake caliper" without any specific instructions on how to do it. Thanks!
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:57 pm quote
Remove caliper, push back pistons, remove old pads, install new pads.

Now would also be the ideal time to bleed the brakes since the rear bleed screw is a bit tough to get to.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:48 am quote
By 'remove caliper' they just mean undo the two bolts that hold the caliper to the transmission case. NOT to undo the banjo joint of the brake fluid line!

Best to remove the circlip from the retaining pin beforehand, and bang that pin out 1/4" so it's more easily removable once the caliper is freed.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:28 pm quote
On this subject....
Hello All,

on this subject, does a person need to remove the back wheel to get access to the rear brakes? or can a person change them without removing anything to get the rear brakes and change them? I know how to change the parking brake pads, and the front breaks, but I did not have the chance to try the rear ones, thanks,
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:56 pm quote
Re: On this subject....
abcdef wrote:
Hello All,

on this subject, does a person need to remove the back wheel to get access to the rear brakes? or can a person change them without removing anything to get the rear brakes and change them? I know how to change the parking brake pads, and the front breaks, but I did not have the chance to try the rear ones, thanks,
Is this even a serious question? Have you looked at a MP3? And if you have already done the parking brake pads on a MP3 (which are at the rear BTW),
andwhich normally never wear out, then you already know that the issue is room . . . or lack thereof.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:05 am quote
Re: On this subject....
sbaert wrote:
abcdef wrote:
Hello All,

Is this even a serious question? Have you looked at a MP3? And if you have already done the parking brake pads on a MP3 (which are at the rear BTW),
andwhich normally never wear out, then you already know that the issue is room . . . or lack thereof.
Although I have the MP3 400, but I have not had a look yet (at the rear brakes) and if I did, I am not a mechanic I may not know how to remove the pads, if I try, I may break something or I may not be able as I need to remove some parts and not all parts, so when I don't have knowledge or information about a matter, I rather ask and get the right info, I changed the parking brake cable and by mistake I did something to the seat which caused me an issue, so asking is better than trying out and making a mistakes that could be avoided. For the parking brake, I remove it to check it and I did not replace it as it is in good condition.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:00 am quote
If you really need instructions at a basic level, the yes, it all needs to come apart.

Muffler off. Be gentle with the graphite bushing.
Rear shock absorber
Axle nut
Swing arm
Rear wheel
Now you have access to the brakes

The parking brake probably needs nothing. Cycle it on and off to make sure it's working and adjust the free play if necessary while you can get to it.

My 2008 has a Grimeca rear caliper with those ill advised pad retaining pins with the internal hex heads. They must come out to change the pads and they are often badly corroded and stuck. Use a good hex wrench or the heads will strip out. They may anyway just out of spite.

Loosen / remove the pad pins while the caliper is still solidly mounted. Then remove the caliper, the pins, and the pads. Use this opportunity to clean the outside of the pistons and make sure they operate smoothly. A shoestring and some brake fluid should do the trick. Be careful not to use any brake cleaner or petroleum products where it might come in to contact with the seals or any rubber parts. The rubber will swell up and be useless.

Replace the pads and the pins. Be sure to put some ant-seize paste on the threads of the retaining pins and don't put them in very tight if you expect to ever get them out again. Make sure the caliper sliders work smoothly. Use rubber safe silicon grease, not petroleum.

Then work your way backward and put it all back together and torque everything properly.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1360s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0272s) ][ Debug on ]