SIP Vape ignition evaluation
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
PX125E
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:28 pm quote
Hello.
This is a roundabout question about the SIP Vape ignition Variable timing type.
I have a 2012 PX125E which I modified/de restricted. I have a run in DR177 kit to go on at the next major service in 700 Miles time. I had odd problems with it breaking down which I think I have fixed.

My question is one of the fixes I did and failed to find the fault was buying and fitting a SIP ignition system. Iím not convinced it made enough difference to warrant the cost. The problem I have is the kit comes without a mounting Bracket for the ignition coil. I canít weld but I know a Transvestite who can.

The first bracket fouled the Indicator in the side panel. The second which was made from stainless steel sheared due to the vibration. The third one made from Mild steel also cracked. The coil is now wrapped in 3mm Rubber Mat and cable tied to the remains of the bracket.

Iím seriously thinking about putting the original ignition system back on with a Readspeed Zeus Ignition module as it was before I kept dumping bits everywhere.

I would appreciate Your opinions on the SIP ignition Before I baptise my Scooter in the River Thames.
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm quote
The lack of a bracket is a pitfa. I made one out of angle aluminum only to find the CDI was contacting the inside of the cowl. Modified it a bit so the coil is only a mm or so off the starter motor - but note like you have that the vibration is pretty excessive on the poor CDI (canít be good for it). Am thinking of making something else up out of more angle aluminum.

The small print canít use the e-start bs annoyed me most. Seriously - how hard would it have been for them to machine a lip on the flywheel to mount a starter ring gear? Maybe the grade of aluminum isnít good enough...

I will say - the output from the VAPE is awesome for ensuring bright lights and fast battery charging.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:25 am quote
No bracket was very annoying. Maybe in the fine print somewhere it mentions that but I didn't see it.
I made one out of stainless 1.5mm flat/sheet and it's been on there for ages, maybe 3 years now. Did you use a rubber mount at all? I used rubber grommets and bolted it with nylocs so it could still move about.

One of the reasons I bought the Vape was that it was supposed to put out full power near idle. My sip speedo still cuts out at idle so obviously that was not true.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:55 am quote
Ginch wrote:
One of the reasons I bought the Vape was that it was supposed to put out full power near idle. My sip speedo still cuts out at idle so obviously that was not true.
I seem to get plenty at idle. Halogen is bright and still putting out enough to put something back into the battery. Somethings not right. Kicking it over puts out enough to turn my Speedo on.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:47 pm quote
Perhaps you're right, more about the speedo than the Vape. Not sure where to go from there.
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:35 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
Perhaps you're right, more about the speedo than the Vape. Not sure where to go from there.
Or earthing? Can you check the output of the VAPE? Should be 13.4V even at idle I think. How have you wired in the speedo?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:39 pm quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
Ginch wrote:
Or earthing? Can you check the output of the VAPE? Should be 13.4V even at idle I think. How have you wired in the speedo?
I can't remember, it's been there a long time now. The motor is being rebuilt - or at least waiting for me to rebuild it - so can't test just now. I'll put it on my list.
Hooked
PX125E
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:39 pm quote
Yes. I did fit the original rubber dampers. the first bracket was the original piaggio one cut and welded to fit the coil. unfortunately it fouled the Indicator.
I like the Grommet idea.

the other thing I was less than impressed with is the electrical connectors. they would be fit for purpose in the back of a telly but I can't see them surviving the first winter.

my sip speedo works fine. I wired it up as the AC diagram as I ditched the battery and starter motor. I put a small sealed battery back on as the horn needs it. I carry a tool kit where the battery used to be.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 am quote
Nice idea!
Hooked
Vespa PX200
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:45 pm quote
Speaking of the missing bracket -- I see that SIP sells a bracket and a so-called mounting kit, with the rubber buffers. Anybody here try that? Is it better than jury-rigging your own setup?
Hooked
PX125E
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:52 pm quote
JimVanMorrissey wrote:
Speaking of the missing bracket -- I see that SIP sells a bracket and a so-called mounting kit, with the rubber buffers. Anybody here try that? Is it better than jury-rigging your own setup?
Hello.
The last bracket I tried was a sip one. The mounting holes are the right size for the original bushes.

this bracket split along the bend. I unbolted the coil and cable tied it to the bracket after wrapping it with a bit of rubber mat.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 pm quote
I got one of these recently, haven't fitted it in place of my home made one yet. It does look like it puts the weight out a long way, and presumably it's the wobbling about at the end of the long part that promotes the break? It doesn't need to stick out that far.

Hooked
Vespa PX200
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:21 pm quote
This is the one they sell for the PX. Doesn't have a bend in it. Wonder if this is the right one?

b242a4c3-e02b-45cc-a7de-263e38f3bb3a.jpg

Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1551s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0312s) ][ Debug on ]