'70 Sprint Veloce project begins..
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
LML
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:16 pm quote
Note how the panels on this Sprint Veloce aren't symmetrical, specifically they are different lengths where they meet the mudguard.

The vendor assures me that they are correct.. are they?

Last edited by jackytwoshoes on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:20 pm quote
They should be symmetrical. The longer one could be coming from a Bajaj (they were longer)...
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:35 pm quote
Yep, had the same issue on a US 70's Sprint I had. PO replaced engine cover with Bajaj cowl. I thought he replaced the tool box cowl with a Super cowl. But now that I think back to it, the bike had all types of Bajaj parts like the seats, 12v ignition and other bits. My slight ADD could not look at it anymore and dam near gave the bike away for what I got back in a trade. I should have just replaced the cowl, painted the scooter from it early 2000 resto metallic blue color and kept it.
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm quote
That's 100% Wrong.

I'd run far away from that scooter. If they seller doesn't know or care about something that's so obviously wrong, imagine what else must be going on there.

Here's a shot of the rear of my US Sprint V. The left-hand cowl is a little higher than the right (which I never noticed before now), but that's a mounting issue and I'll fix that if I ever get to swapping the gray trim for black on that side.. They're definitely the same length.

No comparison, even if mine isn't as pretty as the one you were looking at.

IMG_20200725_175644.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:46 pm quote
On my Super they're different. I'll have a look in Tecnica tonight and see what it shows.
LML
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:31 pm quote
I have a confession to make: I bought this that a price that was too good to refuse. Even if I have to rebuild the entire thing it'll be worth it..

I've noticed-

1) A PX handles infinitely better. I'm curious about the Bajaj anti dive kits or PK front ends. Can someone point me to the person on here who did a disc conversion on a green large frame? I can't for the life of me find it..

2) It has a nasty habit of snatching into gear- when pulling off and releasing the clutch it'll sometimes make a nasty crunch and take up drive suddenly. I haven't yet tried the brass clutch plunger but the crunch makes me think that the crucifix is in the wrong way.. The PO did just "rebuild" it.

3) It has no ignition key, no steering lock. I need to figure a way of making it secure for day-to-day London use.

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:56 pm quote
The engine side panel looks correct, but not the toolbox side. Maybe it's from a 150 Super?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:18 pm quote
jackytwoshoes wrote:
Can someone point me to the person on here who did a disc conversion on a green large frame? I can't for the life of me find it..
That's me.
Fork Swap for 150 Super
Disc brake setup for oldie

Crimaz does a nice kit with an external disc which works well - uses the original fork. He also has a master cylinder setup which avoids altering the headset.
LML
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:25 pm quote
Ginch wrote:
jackytwoshoes wrote:
Can someone point me to the person on here who did a disc conversion on a green large frame? I can't for the life of me find it..
That's me.
Fork Swap for 150 Super

Crimaz does a nice kit with an external disc which works well - uses the original fork. He also has a master cylinder setup which avoids altering the headset.
Thanks, ace work. Most of the reports of putting in P forks into an older frame involve grinding steering stops and fiddling about with new bearing races etc.. did you experience any of those problems? Is the handling and diving noticeably improved?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 am quote
jackytwoshoes wrote:
Ginch wrote:
jackytwoshoes wrote:
That's me.
Fork Swap for 150 Super

Thanks, ace work. Most of the reports of putting in P forks into an older frame involve grinding steering stops and fiddling about with new bearing races etc.. did you experience any of those problems? Is the handling and diving noticeably improved?
I reckon most of the info is in those threads... but I don't think there was any alteration to the steering stops. Yes handling is way better imo. And of course braking is vastly improved.
If I'd had the choice at the time though I think I would have gone for the Crimaz setup, it's very nicely done. Compared to all new Grimeca bits and the cost of converting a fork it's a little more expensive.
LML
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 am quote
Ginch wrote:
jackytwoshoes wrote:
Ginch wrote:
jackytwoshoes wrote:
That's me.
Fork Swap for 150 Super

I reckon most of the info is in those threads... but I don't think there was any alteration to the steering stops. Yes handling is way better imo. And of course braking is vastly improved.
If I'd had the choice at the time though I think I would have gone for the Crimaz setup, it's very nicely done. Compared to all new Grimeca bits and the cost of converting a fork it's a little more expensive.
Thanks for the real world feedback- very useful. The thing I don't understand about the Crimaz set up though is that since it retains the original suspension linkage, presumably it would still bob and dive just like the original set up- or perhaps worse because of the increase in brake performance? I'd love to make this handle a bit more like my P.
Molto Verboso
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 am quote
Then you'll need to go the PK XL fork route and use one of the BFA fibreglass mudguards to keep it honest. I don't see how using the original Sprint V fork is ever going to get you P/PX front end ride quality. Piaggio changed for good reason. This is why a good tourer is always going to be a PX200++
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:23 pm quote
Before I rode one with a great shock on the front, I wouldn't believe it either. But it's actually pretty good. True it's not as good as a P fork (with its wide choice of shocks and types of calipers/carriers) but if you're interested in keeping it stock looking then Crimaz is pretty close. Then again, if you have access to a P fork & disc for cheap it's an easier choice.

The PK fork, never put one on a largeframe but in theory ought to be able to fit an unmolested Sprint guard. Swa, think the mudguard you're thinking of is PLC - https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/mudguard+plc+for+vespa+125+gt_76021600
Molto Verboso
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:18 am quote
That'll be the one Ginch. Getting my three letter acronym suppliers mixed up
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:08 am quote
swa45 wrote:
That'll be the one Ginch. Getting my three letter acronym suppliers mixed up
Be careful with those TLA's!!
LML
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 am quote
There's a definite difference you can see here.

Clipboard02.jpg

Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2142s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0441s) ][ Debug on ]