The Melody Chronicles: Waiting For the Technician...
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:04 pm quote
…or Somebody Like Him.

Well, we're past the two week mark, and still sans scoot. The singular hangup is getting the parts: the shop was able to locate what's needed Stateside, but nothing's arrived yet. (This doesn't even touch on the shipment that's supposed to have my front wheel speed-sensor in it, but got sent to the wrong dealer someplace else in the country. Fun times we're having lately.)

In the meantime, I've been trying to get by between public transportation and catching a lift from Le Wife. Both have been complicated: two Saturdays ago my tech-gig day was ruined when the train I was supposed to be on was suddenly canceled on account of "engineer (un)availability." A gig planned four days ago had to be scrubbed because Le Wife had urgent business elsewhere. And so on.

Yesterday (Sunday), I caught a ride into Brooklyn with wife for a gig; she met up with friends farther down the borough, and once I was done I'd find myself a Revel to hop on and join her and company for a properly socially-distanced al fresco meal at a Mexican restaurant in Park Slope. I was working in Williamsburg, and the client, just happened to live a few blocks from one of my favorite pastry shops, Fortunato Bros., where I hadn't been in years. Ran in got a variety of highly dangerous sweet goods, had them box it up and waltzed out in search of a decently-charged Revel. (It was a crazy-hot day, and some streets along the way were almost trecherously bumpy…in retrospect, I should've passed on the tiramisu.)

Some observations about two-wheeled action in Gotham right now:

- Traffic enforcement seems close to nonexistent: most people I saw on Revels were still not wearing helmets, and a few were jackassing all over the street.

- The no-helmet stuff didn't stop there: there was a young guy on what looked like pretty-beat GT200; he had no helmet, and the bike had no plates. Shortly after encountering him, a dude on a sportbike sprinted past me, also helmetless.

- I'm still not crazy about the high floorboard on the Niu bikes in the Revel fleet. I know the batteries have to go somewhere, and the example I was riding had considerably-improved suspension over the last one I grabbed a few weeks prior, but it's still annoying to noise my legs up high every time I take off. Ironically, while taking a tight turn fairly fast, I managed to scrape the side-stand fairly hard. (Not sure whether to feel proud or slightly embarrassed.)

Anyway, here's hoping for some Good News either tomorrow or Tuesday.

20200726_192035 2.jpg
Yeah, I scraped it…didn't check to see if I left sparks in my wake.

IMG_86931.jpg
Late for Dinner: Street-side table!

20200726_191948.jpg
Yet another fattening temptation…(tiramisu didn't make it home intact.)

20200726_192741.jpg
Le Wife, setting up a group portrait, old-school.

Last edited by amateriat on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 pm quote
Was the cake for a special occasion?
PS: aiming on a medium format machine with a crosshair sight is best achieved with the eye 30 - 40 centimeters away.
Ossessionato
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:42 pm quote
Attila wrote:
PS: aiming on a medium format machine with a crosshair sight is best achieved with the eye 30 - 40 centimeters away.
No special occasion…and there were several bite-sized pastries in the box, before the heat and jostling messed things up.

Le Wife had the magnifier flipped up in the Rollei's WL finder when I took this snap of her…that's why she's that close to it.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:55 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
Attila wrote:
No special occasion…and there were several bite-sized pastries in the box, before the heat and jostling messed things up.

Le Wife had the magnifier flipped up in the Rollei's WL finder when I took this snap of her…that's why she's that close to it.
I know, I have a Yashica Mat 124 G ... similar it is also a Lubitel made in Russia.
The problem is finding the films and in my city there is no longer anyone who does the development (getting the photo from the roll, I don't know the English term) analog photo.
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:22 pm quote
Like the Vespa, the Rollei TLR is aesthetically beautiful.
Enthusiast
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:23 pm quote
Analog film is the best. Except that we didn't ever think of it as analog. It was and is film.

Still reliable, like a backup that limits life's scooter drama to the essentials of the experience.
Ossessionato
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 am quote
bosco12 wrote:
... like a backup that limits life's scooter drama to the essentials of the experience.
I am very agree.
Amateriat is clearly a connoisseur of "fine things".
Enthusiast
’20 GTS 300 hpe
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm quote
Re: The Melody Chronicles: Waiting For the Technician...
[quote=“amateriat"]

- Traffic enforcement seems close to nonexistent: most people I saw on Revels were still not wearing helmets, and a few were jackassing all over the street.

- The no-helmet stuff didn't stop there: there was a young guy on what looked like pretty-beat GT200; he had no helmet, and the bike had no plates. Shortly after encountering him, a dude on a sportbike sprinted past me, also helmetless.

- I'm still not crazy about the high floorboard on the Niu bikes in the Revel fleet. I know the batteries have to go somewhere, and the example I was riding had considerably-improved suspension over the last one I grabbed a few weeks prior, but it's still annoying to noise my legs up high every time I take off. Ironically, while taking a tight turn fairly fast, I managed to scrape the side-stand fairly hard. (Not sure whether to feel proud or slightly embarrassed.)

[/quote]

That’s a long wait for your Vespa! I hope all goes well and you’ll get it back soon.

Yes, the New York City road situation is becoming frightening. In absence of what looks like any kind of traffic rule enforcement on a regular basis, more and more drivers seem to regard the rules as completely optional. NYC has always been the wild wild East in this regard, but now it’s up to a level where you can’t always trust red lights, one way streets and a host of other things that could be trusted just about anywhere else. Not a good situation.

The Revel riders in particular sometimes blow through red lights, go on sidewalks and often don’t wear helmets. I still think it’s a minority of riders, but those people make it bad for everyone on the road, especially for other PTW riders.

Those floorboards! Yeah, while I like the NIU’s for what they are, they certainly don’t have the ergonomics of a Vespa. It’s a cramped seating position, especially when riding two up. Ever tried wearing a backpack on one of them? That really makes you wish the scooters were bigger, no?
Ossessionato
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:41 pm quote
giallo wrote:
Those floorboards! Yeah, while I like the NIU’s for what they are, they certainly don’t have the ergonomics of a Vespa. It’s a cramped seating position, especially when riding two up. Ever tried wearing a backpack on one of them? That really makes you wish the scooters were bigger, no?
I've had a backpack on almost every time I've hopped on a Revel. And…while it doesn't entirely suck, it leaves more than a little to be desired. Which is why I sincerely hope the Revel experience becomes something of a gateway drug-of-sorts to people making the effort to get their license and go for a full-on scoot of their own. My own post-pandemic wish is that New York get a good deal more like Vienna, where the traffic mix is more-intelligently inclusive, with bicycles, MCs/scooters, cars, trucks and streetcars...photographic evidence enclosed.

(Okay…where was I?)

Right: It's taking too long for stuff to get delivered. Shipping services are overwhelmed. The Post Office is getting kneecapped. My dealer's doing what they can, but goodness, gracious, I'm days away from lighting a candle to the Goddess of Logistics for an intervention-of-sorts.

viennacartrucktram.jpg
Vienna, 2017: It CAN be done, people.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:26 pm quote
Ahhh if you were a few blocks from Fortunatos you must have been pretty close to my old apartment at Withers and Manhattan ave. We left the neighborhood last year after 10+ years to move out to queens where we could afford to buy something more than a 1.5 Bedroom apartment.

I miss it every day but I couldn’t imagine if we had both been stuck working from home without the space (multiple floors! Outside area!) that we have now. Also moving to queens was the excuse I used to buy my Vespa despite the fact that I can still bike to my office in 25 minutes.
Ossessionato
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:26 pm quote
... you can always find a job in Tuscany and live in Florence or Siena ... imagine.
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:42 am quote
amateriat wrote:
…or Somebody Like Him.

Well, we're past the two week mark, and still sans scoot. The singular hangup is getting the parts: the shop was able to locate what's needed Stateside, but nothing's arrived yet. (This doesn't even touch on the shipment that's supposed to have my front wheel speed-sensor in it, but got sent to the wrong dealer someplace else in the country. Fun times we're having lately.)

In the meantime, I've been trying to get by between public transportation and catching a lift from Le Wife. Both have been complicated: two Saturdays ago my tech-gig day was ruined when the train I was supposed to be on was suddenly canceled on account of "engineer (un)availability." A gig planned four days ago had to be scrubbed because Le Wife had urgent business elsewhere. And so on.

Yesterday (Sunday), I caught a ride into Brooklyn with wife for a gig; she met up with friends farther down the borough, and once I was done I'd find myself a Revel to hop on and join her and company for a properly socially-distanced al fresco meal at a Mexican restaurant in Park Slope. I was working in Williamsburg, and the client, just happened to live a few blocks from one of my favorite pastry shops, Fortunato Bros., where I hadn't been in years. Ran in got a variety of highly dangerous sweet goods, had them box it up and waltzed out in search of a decently-charged Revel. (It was a crazy-hot day, and some streets along the way were almost trecherously bumpy…in retrospect, I should've passed on the tiramisu.)

Anyway, here's hoping for some Good News either tomorrow or Tuesday.
All scooterists aside, I love the 2¼ x 2¼ camera "Le Wife" uses. Is that a Rolleiflex? Mamiya? Yashica? Does she do the developing snd printing - old school? It is a lost art which seems to be having a resurgence, much like vinyl records.
Ossessionato
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:08 am quote
New Revel-ation, or: Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Thanks a heap, all you unhelmeted jackasses:

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/revel-shuts-down-nyc-moped-service-after-2-fatal-crashes

Can't wait to get my bike back, folks.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 am quote
Re: New Revel-ation, or: Why We Can't Have Nice Things
amateriat wrote:
Thanks a heap, all you unhelmeted jackasses:

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/revel-shuts-down-nyc-moped-service-after-2-fatal-crashes

Can't wait to get my bike back, folks.
Dude, you've GOT to get that bike back ASAP! There's a ride on 8/22 I think to Red Hook. -Hopefully you'll be able to join. It's a shame Revel had to close down, but I do think it was the right move. You and your responsible/safe ilk are a minority in this city, it would appear.
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:53 am quote
A Bit of Good News, At Last...
Just called the shop: they just got all the parts delivered (fuel injector, front-wheel speed-sensor, front tire). They're sorting out how far up the service queue I can be put…might be a few days, but traction has been attained.
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:56 am quote
The workshops remain open in August? Luck...
Here in Italy everyone closes in August ... almost but those who stay do it for small emergency jobs.

... I'd like to see the sweet items to eat in the box ...
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:21 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Here in Italy everyone closes in August ... almost but those who stay do it for small emergency jobs.

Let's just say I'm fortunate that the shop was able to get hold of the necessary parts from a distributor here in the U.S.; if they had to get them straight from Pontedera, I might not have been back on the bike till September.

As to the box of sweets: it all looked frighteningly yummy when they put everything into the box. By the time I got home (extreme heat+bouncing around in a Revel top box+sitting in the back of Le Wife's overheated SUV), it simply looked frightening. Like I said, never order tiramisu in Summer unless you're going to eat it right now.
Ossessionato
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 pm quote
amateriat wrote:
Attila wrote:

Let's just say I'm fortunate that the shop was able to get hold of the necessary parts from a distributor here in the U.S.; if they had to get them straight from Pontedera, I might not have been back on the bike till September.

As to the box of sweets: it all looked frighteningly yummy when they put everything into the box. By the time I got home (extreme heat+bouncing around in a Revel top box+sitting in the back of Le Wife's overheated SUV), it simply looked frightening. Like I said, never order tiramisu in Summer unless you're going to eat it right now.
It also happens here with the "Lemon Delight" (Delizia al limone),
It is a semifreddo almost at room temperature:

https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Delizie-al-limone.html

The unmistakable scent of Amalfi lemons and the delicate taste of limoncello cream are the protagonists of a recipe that will inebriate your taste buds, today we prepare lemon delights.
The master pastry chef Sal De Riso takes us to discover his land full of exciting colors and flavors. These delicious lemon cakes of Campania origin were created for the first time in 1978 by Carmine Marzuillo, pastry chef of the Amalfi coast, and they immediately became one of the best known and appreciated sweets. Soft sponge cake, a cream with a sour and decisive taste and tufts of cream for a real lemon delight!
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:29 am quote
Why isn’t she referred to as “LA Wife”?
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:35 am quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Why isn’t she referred to as “LA Wife”?
Juan ... he said "waiting" ... and while waiting what does he do? Look at the birds in the air? Are you waiting for the end of the world? On the saddle there was a box with pastries and so much so that "waiting" Amateriat has good (literally) examples that help him "wait" ...
I don't know what else it can do right now without spare parts.
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:37 pm quote
I think something got lost in le/la translation.
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 am quote
A Confluence of Events
Todays Haiku:

The forecast: rain all day
I awake and check my voice mail
"Hi…your Vespa is ready"

(Cue James Brown)
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 pm quote
We Now Return You To Your Regular Transport...
Yes, a happy-happy, joy-joy moment yesterday evening. Everything works, runs smoother, pulls stronger, runs faster, jumps higher, etc. In another 400 (15k) miles I'll have Mel's usual vitals checked over, but for now I'm glad to have my general mobility back, which in terms of timing works out pretty well in the shadow of Revel being out of the picture for the time being, and NJ Transit's service still deteriorating by degrees, which is still alarming in general terms.

My dealer seriously did me a solid in terms of speed (at least in terms of what was within their control), and cost…ever-more reason to support your locals if you're lucky enough to have 'em. (And, of course, if they're good; the dealer I originally bought the bike from? Not so much.)

backonmelody.jpg
Hey-la, hey-la, my Vespa's back.

Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:07 pm quote
Great, and welcome back to the road. Just in time for a hurricane too!

Miguel🌪
Addicted
GTS 300ie Touring
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:00 am quote
Great news amateriat! - Glad it's running better than ever
Molto Verboso
LXS 150
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:35 am quote
Splendid! Enjoy the ride..
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:14 am quote
Good to hear you're back on the road!
Molto Verboso
portofino green GTV 300
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 am quote
Keep it dry. We could have another Sandy coming up the coast.
Ossessionato
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:47 am quote
flyangler wrote:
Keep it dry. We could have another Sandy coming up the coast.
Thanks...and, I certainly hope not. I was still living in New York when Sandy clobbered us, and it wasn't a pretty picture there, either.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 am quote
Here's hoping this is the last problem for a good long time.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1818s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0441s) ][ Debug on ]