MP3 Highway Floorboard Mod
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio MP3 400ie
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:22 am quote
Hi All - just wanted to give a shout out to Old As Dirt for my floorboard mod he made and I purchased.

At first I wondered if I did the right thing as it felt different to the usual scooter style but it took me all of 3.2 milliseconds to fall in love with them. Simply put, this add is amazing and takes the riding experience and long distance comfort through to the next level and beyond - I love it.

I can hardly go anywhere without someone commenting on the bike AND the highway pegs. I live in Australia and we have vast distances and I tour a lot so these have been a Godsend.

Thanks, Old As Dirt and to everyone with an MP3, if he ever does these again - do yourself a favour and grab a set - they are worth every cent

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

2359_LI.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:03 pm quote
Thank you for the kind remarks.

Love the pics
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:32 am quote
Hi Mate,
I'm in Sydney!!!!
I have the MP3 400ie, 2009 model, got major maintenance and now it is like out of the dealership (Steering bearing maintenance, Drive belt and rear wheel change)...
As for the pegs, I have not tried them and I think they will make a difference to someone who is tall I think, but one point I like to stress is that it makes your feet stand out on both sides of the scooter and increase the risk to hurt yourself maybe, not sure but this is my thinking.
Nice pics too.
Piaggio MP3 400ie
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm quote
Cheers, ABCDEF. Not at all mate. No different to any motorcycle that has highway pegs. What I have found is they make the bike more stable - straight line and cornering (particularly cornering). I have travelled some 10,000k's and not an issue. When it rains, I used to tuck my feet back into the scooter position but when I did that, I realised just how unstable it made the bike at spreed. Either / or - everyone is different in their preferences but I wouldn't be without them nor would I ride the mp3 ever without using them. I had a Harley Road King and it had highway pegs and put my feet into the same geometry ....... so it's a great mod.

There's another great mod you can do to keep your front bearings greased and help prevent the bearing failure these earlier mp3's were plagued with. Here it is:

A modification to increment the live of the bearings sistem

I had a capable machinist friend make one up for me. I was surprised the amount of grease I pumped in when I first used it which tells me I would have had trouble down the track. Now, I grease the bearings every 6 months and it's only a couple of pumps.

Cheers for your thoughts and enjoy your riding. MP3's are a great bike.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:14 am quote
CRH wrote:
Cheers, ABCDEF. Not at all mate. No different to any motorcycle that has highway pegs. What I have found is they make the bike more stable - straight line and cornering (particularly cornering). I have travelled some 10,000k's and not an issue. When it rains, I used to tuck my feet back into the scooter position but when I did that, I realised just how unstable it made the bike at spreed. Either / or - everyone is different in their preferences but I wouldn't be without them nor would I ride the mp3 ever without using them. I had a Harley Road King and it had highway pegs and put my feet into the same geometry ....... so it's a great mod.

There's another great mod you can do to keep your front bearings greased and help prevent the bearing failure these earlier mp3's were plagued with. Here it is:

I had a capable machinist friend make one up for me. I was surprised the amount of grease I pumped in when I first used it which tells me I would have had trouble down the track. Now, I grease the bearings every 6 months and it's only a couple of pumps.

Hi, thanks, I saw the modification sometime ago, now I am interested in doing it, just like to know, do I make 4 of these bolts and nuts and change the originals? or just do one, and when I want to grease them, i remove each bolt and put the modification instead, grease and remove and put back the original? do I do it 4 times for each screw or just the top ones, or just the bottoms ones? my mechanical technical info is very limited, thanks for you help, cheers,
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:56 am quote
abcdef wrote:
CRH wrote:

Hi, thanks, I saw the modification sometime ago, now I am interested in doing it, just like to know, do I make 4 of these bolts and nuts and change the originals? or just do one, and when I want to grease them, i remove each bolt and put the modification instead, grease and remove and put back the original? do I do it 4 times for each screw or just the top ones, or just the bottoms ones? my mechanical technical info is very limited, thanks for you help, cheers,
Get or make one grease bolt, and use it only to inject the grease.
And do inject grease into all four bolt locations.
Piaggio MP3 400ie
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:32 pm quote
abcdef - here's some articles which will help you. You only make 1 x greasing bolt. You take out a bolt in the suspension, screw in the grease bolt, grease the bearing, remove the grease bolt and put the OEM bolt back in place once the greasing is done. These will help below and the procedure is very easy:

https://scooterlab.uk/mp3fuoco-grease-nipples-tech/

or you can buy one from o/s:

https://www.scooterwest.com/tool-for-lubricating-mp3-fork-bearings-020943y-ia.html

here's another 'how to' article. This is the article I used as it gives you torque settings:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-1046/1575404156_320wheel20grease20tool.pdf
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
abcdef wrote:
CRH wrote:

Get or make one grease bolt, and use it only to inject the grease.
And do inject grease into all four bolt locations.
Thank you
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51 pm quote
CRH wrote:
abcdef - here's some articles which will help you. You only make 1 x greasing bolt. You take out a bolt in the suspension, screw in the grease bolt, grease the bearing, remove the grease bolt and put the OEM bolt back in place once the greasing is done. These will help below and the procedure is very easy:

https://scooterlab.uk/mp3fuoco-grease-nipples-tech/

or you can buy one from o/s:

https://www.scooterwest.com/tool-for-lubricating-mp3-fork-bearings-020943y-ia.html

here's another 'how to' article. This is the article I used as it gives you torque settings:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-1046/1575404156_320wheel20grease20tool.pdf
Thank you
Fuoco 500
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:54 am quote
I've had all 4 of my grease bolts in permanently for half a year now. I've taken my Fuoco on all matter of rough bumpy roads. Never had a problem.

Just my experience !
Lurker
MP3 300 LT
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:47 am quote
Floorboard Mod
Hi. Where can I get these Floorboard mod's ... as being 6 foot, my legs are a little cramped while riding,, and I think they would be the perfect solution ...
Cheers
New to the MP3 .. only got it 10th Sept' .. still finding my way on it ....
Piaggio MP3 400ie
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:48 am quote
Re: Floorboard Mod
Moogie wrote:
Hi. Where can I get these Floorboard mod's ... as being 6 foot, my legs are a little cramped while riding,, and I think they would be the perfect solution ...
Cheers
New to the MP3 .. only got it 10th Sept' .. still finding my way on it ....
Hi Moogie - I don't think they are in production any more. The guy who had them manufactured that you could register to purchase is on this MP3 forum as Old as Dirt. If you PM him he can let you know if he's doing another production run. Cheers.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1534s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0325s) ][ Debug on ]