1964 VESPA - VBB Rebuild Help
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
1964 VBB
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:08 pm quote
Hey all,
I've got a 1964 VBB which had been going through a full restoration. The company restoring it, is no longer in business, however I do have the repainted frame, head set, fender, steering column, cowl covers as well as a sidecar I wanted to add to the scoot. It looks like I will ultimately have to put the thing together on my own once I get the rebuilt motor, etc back from the storage unit it was kept.
I do know most of the resource pages to view diagrams, exploded views, etc, but my ultimate question is in what order should a Vespa be rebuilt? (wiring first? motor/mechanicals first?) I assume cables and shiny bits are last, but would like to have guidance as to the way a Vespa should be built from scratch. Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.

painted 1.jpg
Painted parts

sidecar 1.jpg
Sidecar

Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:57 pm quote
Welcome to MV , this is a common question that even myself have asked myself and by the time I was going to ask here I ended up moving forward a bit more.
I would start first with running either the cables or the wire harness , you will need something to fish the wire with , one of your cables would work and once you fish the harness through you can fish an extra cable through at the same time. Once the cables and wiring are done the rest just falls into place.
Looks like you will be assembling the fork as well , if you need small parts Scootermercato and Gick Speed are great resources.
This is a good video to follow, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3k9FYVBHgg&t=8s
Continue your build from where youíre starting , we love pics and maybe not so much me but the guys on this site are A1 and super helpful.
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 pm quote
Gorgeous.
Post up pics as you go - we will try and help you problem solve.
I would probably start with cables and wires as Lynn suggested - then perhaps move to the front end - fork, headset, mudguard, bearings, etc. Then motor.
Rear cowl on opposite side of motor is easier to put on when nothing else is in - as there are some bolts inside the tail and in the tank area - so that might be nice to get out of the way right off the bat.
You can assemble in just about any order really.
Just take your time - there will be some assembly/ disassembly - as you "dry fit" the parts.

Sidecar will be best if well set up for toe in and bike lean.
Post some pics from the side and of the frame - will try and help you sort that out as well.

Gonna be a beauty.
Molto Verboso
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 am quote
The Scooterwest video is really easy to follow.

[url] how to build a new wire to vespa LML NV 150

Itís for a P200, but the ďorder of operationsĒ works pretty well for almost any large frame.
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 am quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Gorgeous.

Gonna be a beauty.
You're in for a ride now... CM22 likes what he sees. A blue unicorn to play with his orange one! This is gonna be fun.
61 VBB1T Cushman badged
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:32 am quote
Donít forget to place grommets and other rubber bits as you move through the electrical and cables...nothing more frustrating than the realization you missed that part.
Lurker
1964 VBB
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:10 pm quote
Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic replies! I can't wait to gather up all the parts and slooooowly get this thing put together. I've been watching Robot from ScooterWest on YouTube as he has restored a PX200, and have watched Steve rebuild a VBB engine. The challenge will be making sure I can get all the parts from the original restorer who I paid a fair amount to already. Looking forward to advice on having a sidecar seat fabricated and getting the interior comfy. You can also email me with any resources you might come across.
Many thanks
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm quote
Iíd get the rails on first... tricky job, best done with nothing else in the way.
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 pm quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic replies! I can't wait to gather up all the parts and slooooowly get this thing put together. I've been watching Robot from ScooterWest on YouTube as he has restored a PX200, and have watched Steve rebuild a VBB engine. The challenge will be making sure I can get all the parts from the original restorer who I paid a fair amount to already. Looking forward to advice on having a sidecar seat fabricated and getting the interior comfy. You can also email me with any resources you might come across.
Many thanks
Or you can do like Charlie and skip the seat and mount a tote.
Youíll need a dog for the test ride.

On a serious note , yes for me the floor rails was the not the most difficult but definitely up there on the stress level.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 pm quote
when something is this far down, i like to run the wires before running cables, but can go either way on that.

either way, i'd run the floor rails while it's still "body" before a motor and fork. easier to manhandle and work around.

then i'd do motor, fork, and headset. wire up the headset, run the cables and then drop in the tank. after that, it's all gravy baby.

but for sure get the bike together, running and riding before attempting to tackle the sidecar. that will make your life so much easier. nothing sucks more than pushing a broke down sidecar rig.

-g
Lurker
1964 VBB
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 am quote
1964 VESPA - VBB Rebuild Help
Thanks Greasy and Lynn. I was planning to the the scooter running before I dealt with trying to mount the sidecar. Forgive my rookie-ness, but can you clarify what you mean by getting the 'rails' done first?
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am quote
Re: 1964 VESPA - VBB Rebuild Help
Stollerscoot wrote:
Thanks Greasy and Lynn. I was planning to the the scooter running before I dealt with trying to mount the sidecar. Forgive my rookie-ness, but can you clarify what you mean by getting the 'rails' done first?
Floor rails are what your feet are going to rest on. Hopefully you have them on hand. You will need a tool, I'll post a pic of the tools I used. I really think it can be done without the Sip tool. Its easier than many think, just time consuming and if you already have the old holes at the bottom of your legshield and the floor you're about 3-4 hours ahead of the game. I started with a new floor I welded in place and had to line up test line up retest before using the solid rivets to put them in place. We're all here to help, you will do fine.

july 25 tools.jpg
These are the tools I used.

Lurker
1964 VBB
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:44 am quote
Thanks Lynn,
Pretty sure the frame is fully intact. Before the restorer went to the UK, he had the body prepped, primed and painted as you see it. Crossing fingers
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
Thanks Lynn,
Pretty sure the frame is fully intact. Before the restorer went to the UK, he had the body prepped, primed and painted as you see it. Crossing fingers
I'm 99% sure from the photos that your fully intact , possibly the floor rails that were removed were in good shape and the rivets simply sheared off.
This is getting exciting, can't wait to see it come together.
Molto Verboso
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:41 pm quote
Iíll second what greasy said about sidecar. Make that the last thing after youíve sorted out the bike.

That said - if you wanna post some pics of the sidecar frame - near wheel and at connection to frame - we can start to figure out if youíve got what you need and how it will be best set up.

Post them here and Iíll give you my $.02.

-CM
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1920s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0269s) ][ Debug on ]