Basic Upgrades 101
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:41 am quote
Sorry if this is covered, I looked in the Wiki and didn't see anything like this. I was curious about what the best bang-for-buck upgrades (not modifications) are that you can do for a scooter's performance. For instance, I have a bone stock 2007 LX150 that I've been riding for a year now and I'm not looking to overhaul the motor, add a slip on exhaust, or anything but rather make it the best version of itself. Like is there a basic list of things such as X brand air filter, 38mm idle jet, etc... that are just quick and easy things to allow it to be the best little Vespa that it can be? Ideally with minimal money or labor?
Addicted

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:37 am quote
HollerAtchaSoy wrote:
quick and easy things . . minimal money or labor
Keep tires inflated to around 30psi.
Run a little Lucas Fuel Treatment.
Monitor battery cranking and charging volts.
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:58 am quote
thanks, that's the type of info I'm looking for rather than the stuff you usually see that tries to turn the scooter into something that it is not.
Molto Verboso
GTS 250i.e.
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:27 pm quote
Get a windscreen. Less wind noise, cleaner face.
Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:10 pm quote
Greetings:

The Malossi variator gives a clear improvement in performance for around $100. Don't bother with a clutch unless yours wears out. The Delta clutch is desirable if you upgrade engine torque, but the stocker works fine for stock power. Carbureted engine? Don't mess with jetting unless your spark plug color is off. Short windscreen as suggested also might improve your top speed a little as well.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:21 pm quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
Get a windscreen. Less wind noise, cleaner face.
This.

And a bit higher speed.
Ossessionato
'15 Blue GTS300 Super, '18 White GTS300 Super
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm quote
Change he belt sooner rather than later. And the variator rollers. Try slightly lighter rollers.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 am quote
Lose 10 pounds...no really...itís just about power-to-weight ratio. Plus youíll feel better! If youíre already rail-skinny, nevermind, lol. Go for a ride in your skinny jeans and laugh at all of us fat old men. 😂
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:11 am quote
hah, thanks guys, i think at 5'11" and 150 lbs, years of bike racing have me at a decent enough place.

Just for the record, I'm not looking for "go faster" as much as I am just the subtle things that may just make it run better. A better air filter is the example I keep going back to.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 am quote
HollerAtchaSoy wrote:
hah, thanks guys, i think at 5'11" and 150 lbs, years of bike racing have me at a decent enough place.

Just for the record, I'm not looking for "go faster" as much as I am just the subtle things that may just make it run better. A better air filter is the example I keep going back to.
Having been a 2007 LX150 owner myself in the past, itís my recollection that air filter mods (or air box mods) on the carbureted Leader engine are finicky. Itís not as simple as slapping on a K&N cone filter like people do on Chevy V8s to get a little bump in power from the more freely-breathing intake.

Point is, $60 for a filter for your scooter will make your wallet lighter, but not necessarily make your scoot run any better. Just do your research is all.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:06 pm quote
I don't know the LX150, but on the heavier GTS300 models one of the best mods is replacing the front shock with a Bitubo or something, for a big improvement in handling.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:22 pm quote
DO NOT ALTER THE AIR BOX!!

i repeat, DO NOT alter the air box. the stock configuration is tuned to the CV carb and the stock air filter is more than adequate.

again, DO NOT mess with the intake side of things.

you want a johnny kick ass LX?

add a 38 idle. keep it in tip top running condition: oil, filter, fresh air filter, plug, make sure the valves are within spec.

go through the transmission, make sure everything is clean and orderly and working properly.

i'd probably throw in some lighter rollers sliders at it and call it done. that's about as cheap as you're gonna get.

now, you wanna drop some coin?
spring for a vario kit, malossi or polini, get some really good front brake pads, a bling disc, and a hot shit adjustable front shock and something decent out back.

but really, the first thing you should do is a 190 kit and then slowly add all the other stuff. because, that's where you're going end up anyway.

-g
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 pm quote
Everything Greasy just said, you can take to the bank.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 pm quote
Big Bore Kit
Variator
Exhaust

After that, it's more money for smaller improvements.

Little things that make a difference are

Malossi Air Filter. It does make the bike breath better at high rpms, where the fun happens.
9.3 gram rollers. That's what we put in our basic transmission tuning kit and they really help the stock 150 engine.
Malossi Torsion Controller. adds a bit of preload to the clutch spring, and helps make the clutch open and close easier when it gets hot.

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa/lx-150/lx-150-drive-and-transmission/malossi-belt-and-variator-tuning-kit-vespa-lx150-lxv150-s150
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:17 am quote
Thanks, Greasy. Those were exactly the answers I was looking for. Not interested in a big bore kit as the speed itself is fine for my use and if I wanted bigger, I'd just buy a bigger scooter.
Molto Verboso
LXS 150
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 pm quote
While we're on the topic...

How severely does a 190 kit affect engine longevity?

Does taller gearing make a difference in longevity with big bore kits -- and if so, is it worth the additional effort and expense?

My theory, which is mine, is that the thing that kills BBK 150's early is excessive RPM at high speed after maxing out the variator, and up-gearing might keep the RPM within a safer range.
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 pm quote
I believe that a highly tuned engine is more efficient and will last longer. But the problem is that when you have the extra power and speed, you use them, and that is what hammers the engine. After-market components are normally higher quality than the original items.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:45 pm quote
HollerAtchaSoy wrote:
Thanks, Greasy. Those were exactly the answers I was looking for. Not interested in a big bore kit as the speed itself is fine for my use and if I wanted bigger, I'd just buy a bigger scooter.
you say that now... but trust me. the BBK is the jam. you don't get a bunch more top speed but the ooomph to which you get there and the overall torque for moving thru traffic or uphill is totally worth it.

you can do the BBK first and everything else really compliments it; or you can do everything else and then do the BBK and realize that all those bits make it shine.

but just those basics will make it a totally different bike.

-g
Enthusiast
GTS300IE
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 pm quote
I spent a load on my old ET4, and the only mod that was worth doing was the 190 kit. The money I spent on clutch, exhaust, variator etc I should have spent on rust proofing....
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1475s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0340s) ][ Debug on ]