Polini air intake received
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:06 pm quote
I can't stop spending money on my scooter. The polini air intake arrived today:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/air+intake+system+polini+ve_20301520

I had to tap the adapter onto the air box stub with a rubber mallet. Probably the fault of the LML air box. The pieces look very shiny and well-machined. I also have a T5-style airbox cover (clear plastic! I wonder how long till that cracks) on the way.

I plan on stuffing some bulk air filter foam underneath the actual filter to try to block the spray of grit and road debris onto the main filter.

With my stock air air box (24si, heart-drilled-out filter) I was running a 120 main jet; the kit comes with a 140 mj, which seems like way too much, but we'll see. I have a 130 sitting around, and have a 135 on order.

Is anyone else running this set-up? I'm wondering where you ended up on the MJ size. My bike's got a Malossi 166 on it, and a Sip Road.
Ossessionato

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:17 pm quote
Notice that the Polini air filter kit restricts the airflow coming into the airbox. It necks down quite a bit over the stock setup. That's all i have to say about their design.
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:17 pm quote
pics or it didn't happen... =)
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:28 pm quote
Re: Polini air intake received
yackee wrote:
I can't stop spending money on my scooter. The polini air intake arrived today:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/air+intake+system+polini+ve_20301520

I had to tap the adapter onto the air box stub with a rubber mallet. Probably the fault of the LML air box. The pieces look very shiny and well-machined. I also have a T5-style airbox cover (clear plastic! I wonder how long till that cracks) on the way.

I plan on stuffing some bulk air filter foam underneath the actual filter to try to block the spray of grit and road debris onto the main filter.

With my stock air air box (24si, heart-drilled-out filter) I was running a 120 main jet; the kit comes with a 140 mj, which seems like way too much, but we'll see. I have a 130 sitting around, and have a 135 on order.

Is anyone else running this set-up? I'm wondering where you ended up on the MJ size. My bike's got a Malossi 166 on it, and a Sip Road.
It might help to post the rest of your jet stack. I have a Stella with a DR177, venturi and PM Tuning exhaust. My jet stack is 160, be3, 136 main or 140, be3 , 126 ish not fine tuned. I assume the Malossi flows better.
Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:06 pm quote
Image attached! Note that the polini comes with a Venturi that fits over the idle adjustment screw, and with an adapter that narrows down the circumference of the air box bellows stub. You could ditch the adapter and buy a filter with a different diameter rubber boot on it. I figured (but absent any evidence or theory) that Polini had some reason for narrowing the stub diameter (increased velocity of inflow??? Just a guess).

My jet stack -- which was perfect with the 24 carb and bellows, boyesen reeds, Malossi 166 and SIP road -- is a BE3, 160, 120 main jet.

IMG_7005.JPG

Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1800s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0465s) ][ Debug on ]