Hit by a police SUV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Author Message
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Joined: 19 Jan 2011
Posts: 359
Location: LA CA
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:30 pm quote
Budz wrote:
love your optimism but I don't think I can survive another fall, I am 54 years old, healthy, active and in decent shape. Hoping to enjoy the rest of my life without a life altering injury...
totally respect your decision.

the "irony" is you have the NYPD matte black edition of the BV? Heal soon, sir.
Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR, BV 350 ABS/ASR
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 1114
Location: Washington DC
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:27 pm quote
tonyc wrote:
Budz wrote:
love your optimism but I don't think I can survive another fall, I am 54 years old, healthy, active and in decent shape. Hoping to enjoy the rest of my life without a life altering injury...
totally respect your decision.

the "irony" is you have the NYPD matte black edition of the BV? Heal soon, sir.
🤣 I didnít even think about that...
Hooked
LT150, Aprilia Mojito 150, MP3 500 and 2019 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Location: Shepherdstown, WV USA
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:00 pm quote
If you would like a suggestion, please pm me and Iíll give you a number in DC to call. I highly recommend you talk with guys who practice this type of law in DC.

Bill
Member
Joined: 28 Jun 2020
Posts: 18
Location: Miamisburg, Ohio
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:37 pm quote
I am no lawyer but assuming the District of Columbia has the same rights as the states, states and local governments are immune from liability as long as they are performing normal and usual activities related to usual governmental responsibilities. Maybe if there were some negligence issues you might have something to grab onto.

Hope the aches and pains are temporary and you have good insurance. Good luck. This is why you have insurance. Let the insurance company make you whole and let the insurance company figure out who to sue.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: 23 Feb 2016
Posts: 2869
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 pm quote
Nothing really to add other than I'm glad you weren't, well, killed or paralyzed, and at 56 I too think I'm one accident away from deciding the risk ain't worth it, so I totally get that.

I've never taken anyone to court etc. so I get that, as well, but I'll throw in that citizens don't just have a right but a responsibility to hold civil servants up to reasonable behavior standards -- humans abuse authority when they can -- and if you were indeed following the law and they were apparently breaking it, suing their f---ing asses into compliance keeps everyone, including the cops, safer.

But having just been put thru the ringer I can also totally get not wanting to take on that kind of battle.

Heal well!

PS: if you have full coverage on the BV, yeah, it's totaled.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 4476
Location: Santa Cruz California
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 pm quote
Budz wrote:
Miguel wrote:
Budz, so sorry for your accident and hope you recover quickly but it will likely take a couple weeks.

I agree with others that you should find a lawyer but you should define your objectives, like get compensated for a new bike and all your gear, medical costs and missed work and perhaps some money for pain and suffering. Or you could go in thinking you just want to get as much money as possible - this would not not my first choice.

Regarding being finished with scootering, Take a few weeks and see how you feel. I got hit last year somewhat broadside by a woman on the freeway who was trying to get into my lane, which was flowing, from her lane which was stopped. She just clipped my rear end. I hurt for a couple weeks. I had the same feeling about riding thinking I was done. But now, I still ride but I'm extremely cautious and shy. I don't ride in heavy traffic and I only ride for pleasure. I also make sure I'm physically and mentally prepared before getting on the bike. If I'm distracted by something, I don't go.

And the armored gear that I wear regardless of how far I'm going (I was only two miles from home when I got hit), did its job and kept me safe. Details in the link above.

Best
Miguel
holy cow Miguel, that was a bad crash. I remember reading your post back then. Glad you recovered!
I just don't want to a bad injury like breaking my neck or back and ending up in a wheel chair. But maybe in time my perspective will change
Budz, where in WDC do you live? I've been there about 400 times over the years for biz. Most of my biz was in the Dupont Circle area, Faifax, Dulles and Baltimore areas but it seems I've covered a lot of the are at one time or another. Traffic in WDC is brutal. I'm not sure I'd ride in the district except on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Best
Member
Gts 300 hpe
Joined: 30 Jul 2020
Posts: 6
Location: Ne england
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 am quote
From some stories Iím hearing concerning the actions of a few of your police officers Itís good news that youíre not being treated for gunshot wounds However pleased that you are on the mend Definitely pursue this matter. And please consider returning to riding Have been there and once the pain goes you start getting that itch
Ossessionato
2013 Honda NC700XD
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3443
Location: Columbia, MD
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 am quote
Budz - I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you have a quick and painless recovery.

I commute in and out of DC regularly on my NC. People call me crazy but I will take city drivers over the nut jobs going 85 on the beltway!

I understand you giving up riding and I support your decision. However, if you feel like riding again you can always rent a bike for a day.
Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR, BV 350 ABS/ASR
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 1114
Location: Washington DC
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:13 am quote
Terencemetcalfe wrote:
From some stories Iím hearing concerning the actions of a few of your police officers Itís good news that youíre not being treated for gunshot wounds However pleased that you are on the mend Definitely pursue this matter. And please consider returning to riding Have been there and once the pain goes you start getting that itch
The US police do operate differently than any where else

Last edited by Budz on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR, BV 350 ABS/ASR
Joined: 07 Jun 2014
Posts: 1114
Location: Washington DC
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 am quote
Strick wrote:
Budz - I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you have a quick and painless recovery.

I commute in and out of DC regularly on my NC. People call me crazy but I will take city drivers over the nut jobs going 85 on the beltway!

I understand you giving up riding and I support your decision. However, if you feel like riding again you can always rent a bike for a day.
Thanks for the kind note, I miss riding already and recuperating watching Motogp races...it's truly an addiction!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7176
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:20 am quote
Budz wrote:
Strick wrote:
Budz - I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you have a quick and painless recovery.

I commute in and out of DC regularly on my NC. People call me crazy but I will take city drivers over the nut jobs going 85 on the beltway!

I understand you giving up riding and I support your decision. However, if you feel like riding again you can always rent a bike for a day.
Thanks for the kind note, I miss riding already and recuperating watching Motogp races...it's truly an addiction!
My guess is IF you get the itch down the road you can always just buy another bike. I don't blame you at all and totally get it not to mention I can't say with certainty I would not do the same as you.
Lurker
Vespa LX 150
Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Posts: 2
Location: Metro Detroit
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:40 am quote
I hope you heal quickly, Budz! Take care of yourself.
Hooked
Gts 300
Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 165
Location: HaÔfa, IsraŽl
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:31 pm quote
Terrible story Budz. So glad youíre in life full of energy. Enjoy the gp on tv!
I am 54 also and am conscious of the risk we take. And frightened also but would hardly consider life without riding. No car btw. You know it could have happened also to a pedestrian. Like this poor lady that was killed the same day. Maybe even being on scooter kind of absorbed part of the shock.
Anyway thank you for sharing, sending you all possible wishes for a speed recovery.

Last edited by arh on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 1460
Location: Berlin
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 pm quote
Immunity can be lifted. It just means that a commission needs to take a good look at the allegation before doing so. Of course, I'm talking from a German perspective.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 3727
Location: Latina (Italy)
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 am quote
... we are the last knights, after us nothing ...
Hooked
LT150, Aprilia Mojito 150, MP3 500 and 2019 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Location: Shepherdstown, WV USA
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:58 am quote
PM sent.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7176
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 am quote
arh wrote:
Terrible story Budz. So glad youíre in life full of energy. Enjoy the gp on tv!
I am 54 also and am conscious of the risk we take. And frightened also but would hardly consider life without riding. No car btw. You know it could have happened also to a pedestrian. Like this poor lady that was killed the same day. Maybe even being on scooter kind of absorbed part of the shock.
Anyway thank you for sharing, sending you all possible wishes for a speed recovery.
I feel the same as you and yeah 3 bikes no car so could not imagine life without riding. Funny that so many of us are about the same age here but I guess being in our 50s makes us young enough to "get" the internet but old enough to be comfortable with message boards. Not to mention I think we are about the last age group that getting a motorcycle license was pretty common.

Heal up Budz and do know we are here for you whether you are riding or not.
Member
2018 Liberty 150
Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 29
Location: san jose, calif
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:15 pm quote
It's reckless how most police departments in the U.S. now drive SUVs. Not only do they have worse handling, they have worse visibility (particularly of pedestrians, motorcycles, and bikes) and known to have a higher kill rate when they hit peds/bikes. With all the distractions cops have on their dash, they should be driving the safest possible car. Not to mention always use their siren, which they regularly donít here in California.
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 1992 BMW K75
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1879
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:46 pm quote
Budz wrote:
mayorofnow wrote:
That's such garbage - hope you heal quickly and completely!

Not to change the subject, but how did you end up with motor-driven cycle plates on a 350?

Also not to be the safety police, but this is a good example to keep in mind re: riding attire. There are plenty of people who think armored pants et. al. are overkill for city riding, but nasty collisions can happen at low speeds too.
let's just say I will not donate to their fund any time soon. I have only dealt with the police a hand full of times in my life, 100% of the time about minor traffic items such as parking or speeding tickets. Dealing with them is never pleasant so I tend to avoid them like the plague.

When the DMV issued these tags and I remind them that the BV was a 350 cc bike but they said these are the new rules. So, I assumed scooters get those and motorcycles get regular motorcycle tags but I could be wrong.

With respect to safety gear, you are 100% correct. If I didn't have my gear it would have been so much worse for sure. I got a concussion with a helmet on, so you can imagine how hard they hit me and how much worse my head would have faired...
Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you recover quickly.

As others have indicated, I would see another attorney. They are not all created equally and will determine whether to take a case or not in a manner that is not always in your best interest. A second and third opinion is in order. Especially if you are going to rack up lots of bills.

And regarding safety gear -- you mention severe road rash and a broken foot. Did you have armored pants and jacket on? And heavy boots? I'm always curious about this. I get some shit for wearing such gear on little scoots around town.

Be well!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8576
Location: KS USA
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:24 am quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Budz wrote:
mayorofnow wrote:
That's such garbage - hope you heal quickly and completely!

Not to change the subject, but how did you end up with motor-driven cycle plates on a 350?

Also not to be the safety police, but this is a good example to keep in mind re: riding attire. There are plenty of people who think armored pants et. al. are overkill for city riding, but nasty collisions can happen at low speeds too.
let's just say I will not donate to their fund any time soon. I have only dealt with the police a hand full of times in my life, 100% of the time about minor traffic items such as parking or speeding tickets. Dealing with them is never pleasant so I tend to avoid them like the plague.

When the DMV issued these tags and I remind them that the BV was a 350 cc bike but they said these are the new rules. So, I assumed scooters get those and motorcycles get regular motorcycle tags but I could be wrong.

With respect to safety gear, you are 100% correct. If I didn't have my gear it would have been so much worse for sure. I got a concussion with a helmet on, so you can imagine how hard they hit me and how much worse my head would have faired...
Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you recover quickly.

As others have indicated, I would see another attorney. They are not all created equally and will determine whether to take a case or not in a manner that is not always in your best interest. A second and third opinion is in order. Especially if you are going to rack up lots of bills.

And regarding safety gear -- you mention severe road rash and a broken foot. Did you have armored pants and jacket on? And heavy boots? I'm always curious about this. I get some shit for wearing such gear on little scoots around town.

Be well!
A rule of thumb for lawyers is that if your damages is over $2,000 they will take your case. Yours seems to be much more than that .
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1578s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0370s) ][ Debug on ]