sanity check this coolant please (ACDelco DEX-COOL)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:49 am quote
I am coming up on the 2 year mark to replace coolant in my GT200. From the owner's manual and other theads here, I understand I need to use an OAT-based coolant that is Silicate and Phosphate Free.

I am trying to find something I can source through Amazon, and found the following ACDelco DEX-COOL option that I think will work. Is anyone able to please confirm if this coolant is appropriate?

The label says it's Silicate and Phosphate free, so I think that part's covered.

For the OAT part, the product description says it's based on carboxylate technology, which I think is another way of saying it's OAT?

ACDelco - label.png

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:33 am quote
I don’t know if this will help or not, as it is sort of [NSR], BUT. I am familiar with this coolant from my time as a Corvette owner. GM puts Dex-Cool in as factory fill, and unfortunately, the water pumps are a known weak link on C4 generation Corvettes, so there are numerous threads on CorvetteForum.com about Dex-Cool. The only thing I can remember is that you should *not* mix this coolant with other varieties. Dex-Cool is orange, IIRC, and many other antifreeze solutions are that fluorescent yellow color.

So, that being said, if you are using it in a Vespa as a complete fill, starting from “empty”, of your cooling system, then I think it should be fine. However, I would hesitate to use it to “top up” existing coolant until 100% sure it’s compatible with whatever the factory fill is from Pontedera.
Enthusiast
BV 500/Yamaha V Star 650
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am quote
Mopar (Chrysler) makes an OAT coolant as that's what's in my Caravan. You can always look there. I don't know what color it is.
Molto Verboso
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:37 pm quote
Thanks for the ideas and replies.

Unfortunately, I'm still unclear if this coolant is OK for me to use.
Enthusiast
2020 Vespa GTS Touring 300
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:57 pm quote
If it's not specified then it's for not use in the scooter.

What Is HOAT Coolant? 4 Things You Need To Know
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/what-is-hoat-coolant-4-things-you-need-to-know/
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:15 am quote
I'd actually want to check ALL the specs on that DEX-COOL. Youi must use Ethylene Glycol based OAT. Nothing else. I suspect this is not totally compatible and could have other things in it that your bike won't like. Why take the risk. Buy a proper motorcycle OAT coolant from a dealer. Car coolant can have a load of stuff in that poisons your bike.
Hooked
LT150, Aprilia Mojito 150, MP3 500 and 2019 Vespa Sei Giorni
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:07 am quote
IIRC, Dexcool was not one of GMs best moves. IDK if it would be terrible to use if you COMPLETELY purge your system. But I’ll never touch an ounce of that stuff again.

I would source the correct coolant from a dealer.

Bill
Molto Verboso
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:54 am quote
Thanks All!

I just went ahead and ordered the Maxima Coolanol recommended by Scooterwest and listed by them as compatible with all modern Vespa.

https://www.scooterwest.com/maxima-coolanol-ready-to-use-coolant-1-2-gallon-64-oz.html
2006 GT200
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 pm quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't get anywhere near an engine with DEXKILL. I am an auto mechanic with 36 years experience. I work for a government fleet department, and we get our new vehicles through a state contract. When we get GM vehicles one of the first things we do is flush out all the DEXKILL and put in Prestone II OAT. I have torn down dozens of engines destroyed by DEXKILL. It goes in as a liquid and then solidifies, plugging everything up. And when that happens, I don't know of any way to get it out. I have seen many engines where the water jackets around the cylinders were completely plugged with DEXKILL (or DEATHCOOL as it is also known as by mechanics) It is some seriously bad stuff. Back before the GM bailout, many GM owners who had their engines destroyed by DEXKILL sued GM for damages, and won. But they never got a penny, because GM declared bankruptcy, relieving them of their obligation to their customers. I will not buy a GM vehicle made after 1995, and strongly recommend to everybody I know not to either. I feel really bad when I have to tell someone their vehicle needs a new engine because they used what GM recommends.

For your Vespa, and for ANY liquid cooled scooter or motorcycle, I highly recommend Maxima Coolanol (so does Robot at Scooterwest) It is an OAT formula (no silicates) and I have been using it for more than 25 years with no problems. Prestone II and Ford Motorcraft Gold are also excellent coolants. But for a scooter or motorcycle I would stick with maxima Coolanol.

There is another coolant called Engine Ice, which is recommended for motorcycles. I use it in my drag race car, because it is not slippery, and will not mess up the track if the cooling system leaks. But it is super thin like water, and unlike ethylene glycol, does not provide any lubrication for the water pump seal. I had to replace the water pump on my bought used with 1800 miles on it GT200, and what I drained out looked and smelled like Windex. I used Maxima Coolanol in it, and it has been fine ever since.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1253s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0347s) ][ Debug on ]