Is Malossi 7.1 4T Sport 5W-40 Engine Oil fully synthetic?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 am quote
I did a search of the forum and didn't see this particular question. Does anyone know if it is fully synthetic? After looking around a bit, it seems like the "Sport" version is a synthetic blend while the "Racing" version is fully synthetic. If it is a blend, should I not use it and instead find a fully synthetic oil? I'd be using it in a 2009 LXV 150. Thanks for the help!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:05 am quote
It is synthetic, according to Malossi's website.
"New synthetic lubricant, specific for the use in modern scooter and motorcycle 4 stroke engines with high performance. It offers an excellent thermal stability and stay-in-grade within a vast range of temperatures, with higher anti-rust and anti-wear features. Compatible with catalytic exhaust systems prolonging the life of the catalytic exhaust, higher gas mileage, and a reduction in emissions. A Multi-Grade oil that allows optimum engine performance and easier starts in every season."
To the best of my knowledge, 5W-40 is only specified by one manufacturer. Malossi knows who that manufacturer is, and what their requirements are in a motor oil. More importantly, they expect you might use this oil with their products while riding like people who install Malossi cylinder kits tend to ride.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am quote
Motovista wrote:
It is synthetic, according to Malossi's website.
"New synthetic lubricant, specific for the use in modern scooter and motorcycle 4 stroke engines with high performance. It offers an excellent thermal stability and stay-in-grade within a vast range of temperatures, with higher anti-rust and anti-wear features. Compatible with catalytic exhaust systems prolonging the life of the catalytic exhaust, higher gas mileage, and a reduction in emissions. A Multi-Grade oil that allows optimum engine performance and easier starts in every season."
To the best of my knowledge, 5W-40 is only specified by one manufacturer. Malossi knows who that manufacturer is, and what their requirements are in a motor oil. More importantly, they expect you might use this oil with their products while riding like people who install Malossi cylinder kits tend to ride.
Yeah...that's what I read as well. That concerned me because the description of the "Racing" version says this:
100% synthetic ester lubricant for high-performance 4-stroke ENGINES, mainly for motorcycle racing.

The reduced internal friction, thanks to its low viscosity, allows the engine to unleash more power.

The service life and protection of the lubricated components are ensured by the high stability of the lubricant film at all operating temperatures.

The high cleaning power ensures superior engine cleaning, and maintains performance.

Compatible with catalytic converters.

Low volatility and reduced fuel consumption and emissions.

This product can be used in wet clutch systems.

That the description of the "Sport" version doesn't say it's 100% synthetic like the "Racing" version is what concerned me. I was unaware of the facts you stated after the quote you posted. I don't ride the scooter hard whatsoever so I think I'll be fine using this oil. Thanks for the reply!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 am quote
NightWing wrote:
https://www.motuloil.com.au/2016/12/26/81/
Thanks. I guess I should have used "100%" instead of "fully". I assumed they were interchangeable.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1528s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0400s) ][ Debug on ]