Rewire 1980 P200E to run without battery?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker
P200E
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:06 pm quote
This may be a silly question, but is there a way to modify the P200E to run without a battery?
Since I don't have an electric ignition and don't really see much use in being able to use the horn, taillight or indicators when it's not running, this would be one thing less to worry about.

Full disclosure - I electric skills are likely sub-par, but I'm sure it's possible somehow.

Thanks!
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:11 pm quote
Yes its possible. Everything that runs off the battery you re-wire to run off the stator. With everything off the stator, your lights dim and brighten as the revs change, you lose the turn signals (unless you swap for an AC flasher relay) and you lose the horn (its DC but you can swap it with an AC horn).

Probably want to use a different regulator too.
Lurker
P200E
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:50 am quote
Thanks for the reply! A little more complicated than I was hoping. Might stick with the batter for now :p
Many moons ago I had a '91 PX80, which didn't come with a battery and I don't remember the brightness of any light being affected by revs, though. Why would that be?
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:12 am quote
If it works, no need to mess with it.

The AC systems work on the flywheel magnets charging up the coils on the stator. Fast the engine revs, the more power is created, slower and you get the idea. The bulbs use the voltage and either brighten or dim accordingly.

Or you can use a battery which keeps the voltage constant so the bulb stays the same.
Hooked
PX125E
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:31 pm quote
Hello.
I have tried to help elsewhere here. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for his scooter Please? I seem to recall some states require those lights and horn to work when the engine is off. But if you want to do it. Like the other posters have said you may need to swap components but it’s easy to do .
2006 GT200
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:46 pm quote
I have an '09 Genuine Stella that I bought new. I have put just over 12,000 miles on it. The stator failed years ago, and when I replaced it, I removed the electric starter (they are very expensive, and I heard they were failure prone. It kickstarts easily, so I didn't need it. I tried to run it with a bad battery in it, and it ran fine, but the lights almost completely went out at idle. Even the turn signals. I decided that was not safe, and replaced the battery. I have owned several mopeds (actual pedal mopeds) that did not have batteries, and the same thing happened. The stator does not put out enough power to run the lights at idle. So the turn signals don't work when you are sitting at an intersection waiting to make a turn.
Enthusiast
PX150E
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:28 pm quote
Re: Rewire 1980 P200E to run without battery?
ghiros wrote:
This may be a silly question, but is there a way to modify the P200E to run without a battery?
Since I don't have an electric ignition and don't really see much use in being able to use the horn, taillight or indicators when it's not running, this would be one thing less to worry about.

Full disclosure - I electric skills are likely sub-par, but I'm sure it's possible somehow.

Thanks!
It already does run (the engine, that is) without the battery. The battery is only for the horn, brake light, neutral indicator light, and the turn signals. Those models equipped with the electrical starter (such as my 1985 PX150E) also need the battery for the starter to work.
With a near-dead, or missing battery, those circuits won't work, but the engine, headlight, and tail light continue to work fine, but of course, at idle, the lights are dim and fluctuate. This is all normal, because that is the price of an economically designed electrical system.
If you have to have a full battery powered 12V DC system for all those circuits, there are conversion kits that will do that, if you want to invest in that area.
I have owned a no-battery, AC only P200E in the past, and I would rather have that, simply because I like simplicity.
In over 35 years with my PX150E, I have had to change several batteries, even with sparing use of the starter, and also because the charging system is also somewhat weak and does not do a good job in charging the battery.
Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:43 pm quote
I've gone back and forth with the battery on my Stella. I like the elestart--but the battery is rarely charged enough to spin the motor.

My conversion was simply to undo the leads to the battery and remove it. At some time I had read advice (I think on StellaSpeed) to connect a resistor into the battery circuit to absorb the current produced by the stator. But I never did that.

If you ditch the battery, maybe keep a clip-on bicycle tail light or similar in the glove box in case you need some light at night in the event of engine failure.
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 am quote
Small 12 volt batteries are cheap, get an inexpensive battery and forget about it. You could put in a large capacitor, not sure it wouldn’t be more expensive.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1244s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0266s) ][ Debug on ]