Are Scooters Motorcycles?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Author Message
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4008
Location: Latina (Italy)
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:40 am quote
You are right but do not take away that there is no answer by way of the argument ...
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE
Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 903
Location: London
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:50 am quote
I don't think we have such a divide anymore between scooters and motorcycles like it was glamourised in the 60s. The scooter is just seen as an every day vehicle for going about your business, be it a delivery driver or commuter etc.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 288
Location: Irving, TX
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:19 pm quote
I agree that it depends a lot on the person one is dealing with. I was simply stating my opinion of the RevZilla commenters.

From my own experience, Vespa Dallas was great, regardless of what version of motorcycle/scooter one rides.
The new Vespa Dallas in Plano is also great. I was treated the same as the guy on a Kawasaki who was there at the same time.
There was one salesman at the accessory store that was great with all customers, regardless of their ride. He then moved on to a different job, and the remaining staff pretty much ignores me when I go in, so I stopped shopping there.
My neighbor rides a Harley, and tries to include me on rides, but then, we're friends outside of motorcycles. We did go on a ride that ended at a H-D dealer, and I didn't feel unwelcome.

I've had riders of all types wave to me as we pass. And I try to wave to any motorcyclist I see, regardless of what they're on. Some wave back, some don't. If I can safely wave, I will. There's one guy that I stopped waving to because he never waved back, so I figured why waste my time.

I've even waved to a motorcycle cop, and he waved back.

I'm just tired of dealing with snobs & gatekeepers, whether it's motorcycles/scooters, beer, manual vs automatic, music, nerd culture, etc.

Like some of the article commenters, and some of our members above said, we should all be happy that we're on 2 wheels (or 3, for the MP3 & sidecar riders).
Member
2017 Vespa GTS 300ie
Joined: 14 Dec 2019
Posts: 23
Location: Canton, MI
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 pm quote
Two wheels. The similarities end there. Personally, I’ve never wanted a motorcycle. Scooters were always it for me. I don’t get the hang up some people have on this topic. My Vespa is the most fun that I’ve had with my clothes on. I’m sure almost all of you feel the same or you wouldn’t be here. Have fun. Be safe and have fun!
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4008
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:54 pm quote
Well ... If I had to go back I wouldn't buy a three-wheeler again, there are no great advantages ... at least for me.
As a displacement I feel good, 150 cc is right.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 943
Location: Hyde Park, New York
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:51 am quote
BmetJake wrote:
Two wheels. The similarities end there. Personally, I’ve never wanted a motorcycle. Scooters were always it for me. I don’t get the hang up some people have on this topic. My Vespa is the most fun that I’ve had with my clothes on. I’m sure almost all of you feel the same or you wouldn’t be here. Have fun. Be safe and have fun!
When I started riding you had to shift a Vespa and it had a clutch. It made a Vespa indistinguishable from a motorcycle. When they returned after being gone for twenty years you could have it both ways, clutch or CVT. Then the distinction began.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8832
Location: KS USA
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 am quote
In my humble opinion I believe scooter is no longer relevant for us. When people hear cooter they think about those electric Little Things. Whatever happened to the PTW's?
Member
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Location: Georgia
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:13 pm quote
My answer may be a bit lame. I first rode a Vespa when I was in my 30s. (It was a rescued P200 scoot that had sat outside uncared for for a couple of years.) I enjoyed the ride, also briefly had a used Lambretta which looked great but breathing on it would cause a part to come loose or stop working.

Thirty years later, I bought a new GTS 300 from the nice folks at Vespa Marietta (Ga.). I opted for the 300 because I felt the frame on the 150s was too small, my feet were over the edge of the floorboard. (And I'm a big guy.) Read the advice on these forums about people buying 150s and later regretting they didn't get a 300. I am very happy with the GTS300.

I have absolutely no interest in riding a motorcycle or even trying one. I like the body comfort of a scoot, I like having a platform to put my feet on, I feel like the combined center of gravity for me on a scoot is lower than it would be on a motorcycle and I thus feel safer and more comfortable.

To me, there's a big difference betweeen a motorcycle and a scooter. Maybe the difference is not as great as I perceive. Scooters are definitely cooler and more fun and stylish. Wish I saw more of them.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7517
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:22 pm quote
I aggree with Max in that scooters have earned a bad rep at least in NA. It really is a shame but when you say that you ride a scooter here people tend to think of the crappy little electric things or Tupperware junk. I just say "Vespa" and that works well enough for me.

As far as scooters for comfort over motorcycles I used to think the same. But in all honestly a well designed "motorcycle" can be as comfortable as a scooter. I was and am a scooterist but sometimes a motorcycle fits the bill better. I'm fortunate enough I can have the best of both worlds and that is what works best for me. As I age I will very likely move towards only smaller bikes and theadt thing in my stable before I shuffle off this mortal cool will very likely be a Vespa.
Member
GTS 300 Super
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Location: Georgia
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:03 pm quote
I, too, agree. It's especially bothersome for an older guy like me. When I talk about riding a "scooter," it probably conjures up the wrong image. Many people don't seem to understand the distinction between a motorcycle, a scooter and even a moped. It's a cruel world...
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6320
Location: NWAOK
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:57 pm quote
In the US, at the Federal level, it's either a motorcycle or a motor driven cycle. Those are the ones that a lot of signs say not to take on the freeway. At the State level, it can be a motorcycle, a motor driven cycle or a moped, depending on that State's particular laws.
Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1961 Vespa VBA / 1964 Vespa VNB
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 1043
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm quote
Does the question matter?
Molto Verboso
LXS 150
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1073
Location: The OTHER South Bay, CA
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:00 pm quote
Haole wrote:
Does the question matter?
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 4644
Location: Lakeshore, ON, CANADA-Capestang,FR
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:16 am quote
Step through motorcycle, should answer the question, in most cases.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7517
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:51 am quote
EN82pg wrote:
Step through motorcycle, should answer the question, in most cases.
Yeah the guys at BMW refer to the C650 that way. The 400 CC C class they tend to call scooters.
Member
2014/2019 gts 300 super/ gts 300 touring
Joined: 14 Sep 2020
Posts: 28
Location: Mt Dora
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:05 pm quote
Well, this is the way I see it. I need a motorcycle license to drive it, so I see it as a motorcycle. Has 2 wheels and set up pretty similar to a motorcycle. Funny story. We bought our Vespas 300s because for years we take our boat across Florida to different places. A lot of those places don’t have boat trailer and truck parking so we use our scooters for getting around on these vacations. So, we went to eat at this fish market in Sarasota, Fl and a smart ass guy made a comment about the scooters. Well I told him we left our Harley’s at home because two won’t fit in the back of my Truck and he laughed at me. Funny part is we do have Harley’s also. My wife has an 2010 Softail Deluxe and I have a 2012 Fatboy. So, yeah people look down at our scooters but I don’t give a s**t. The scooters are more fun to ride than the Harley’s. Can’t ride in the Summer because the engine and exhaust burn your legs. Dude that made the comment prolly don’t even know how to ride!!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7517
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm quote
Dfree wrote:
Well, this is the way I see it. I need a motorcycle license to drive it, so I see it as a motorcycle. Has 2 wheels and set up pretty similar to a motorcycle. Funny story. We bought our Vespas 300s because for years we take our boat across Florida to different places. A lot of those places don’t have boat trailer and truck parking so we use our scooters for getting around on these vacations. So, we went to eat at this fish market in Sarasota, Fl and a smart ass guy made a comment about the scooters. Well I told him we left our Harley’s at home because two won’t fit in the back of my Truck and he laughed at me. Funny part is we do have Harley’s also. My wife has an 2010 Softail Deluxe and I have a 2012 Fatboy. So, yeah people look down at our scooters but I don’t give a s**t. The scooters are more fun to ride than the Harley’s. Can’t ride in the Summer because the engine and exhaust burn your legs. Dude that made the comment prolly don’t even know how to ride!!!!
It's called a motorcycle license because that's what they called it. A LOT of riders have both (shocked?) and I have NEVER been made fun of on my scooter OR motorcycles. TBH You're attitude as a scooterist is no better. It's not that motorcyclists hate scooters , it's a symptom of larger problems where "some" motorcyclists act like that. When you insult motorcyclists remember you also insult a lot of MV members that love their scoots as well.

FIWW a scooter simply means a step through frame and recently a CVT transmission and I believe a few other little things. It's just a classification of motorbikes.
Member
2014/2019 gts 300 super/ gts 300 touring
Joined: 14 Sep 2020
Posts: 28
Location: Mt Dora
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:31 pm quote
Harbinger, really don’t know how to take your statement. Here in Florida, we ride year round both the scooters and Harley’s. With that said, when we ride our Harley’s we say hello to all our fellow riders no matter what they are riding because they are out having fun. When we ride our scooters we get snubbed by the Harley riders because we’re on scooters. I do not make smart ass comments to either Harley or scooter riders. We just have fun and take in the day we’re having.....it’s the assholes that walk up to you and make remarks because we’re on scooters and don’t mind their own business, thats irritating. Good day, And I like your rides must be enjoyable!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7517
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 pm quote
Dfree wrote:
Harbinger, really don’t know how to take your statement. Here in Florida, we ride year round both the scooters and Harley’s. With that said, when we ride our Harley’s we say hello to all our fellow riders no matter what they are riding because they are out having fun. When we ride our scooters we get snubbed by the Harley riders because we’re on scooters. I do not make smart ass comments to either Harley or scooter riders. We just have fun and take in the day we’re having.....it’s the assholes that walk up to you and make remarks because we’re on scooters and don’t mind their own business, thats irritating. Good day, And I like your rides must be enjoyable!
I 100% agree they are assholes so no argument there. We also have a bunch of members on MV that have Harley's that are great people. I'm smarter and prefer BMW but hey don't hold it against them

Oh wait I also have a Ural.. I take back that smart statement.... still love her but it's a tough love.

*EDIT* BTW no insult intended, just some scooterists take on an anti motorcycle attitude. Yeah because there are some dicks out there and Florida for whatever reason seems to attract it's share of them . You don't deserve the attitude but you know what? Screw them... enjoy your scoot and you are better off than anyone that closed minded is.

Yes, I love all my rides
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE
Joined: 01 Feb 2017
Posts: 903
Location: London
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:21 pm quote
FWIW it is very much a North American thing that people look down on scooter riders. We got over that kind of thing in the 60s. Scooter riders were better dressed and still kicked the asses of bikers on the beaches of Brighton. Nobody looks at us now as soft.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 8832
Location: KS USA
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:09 am quote
johnymoore wrote:
FWIW it is very much a North American thing that people look down on scooter riders. We got over that kind of thing in the 60s. Scooter riders were better dressed and still kicked the asses of bikers on the beaches of Brighton. Nobody looks at us now as soft.
IMHO in the USA the change needs to start with scooter riders. I am a member of a sports biike club and HD club simply because I like to socialise with them at their starting point and admire their bikes. Even though I only have scooters. When I talk to them I realize that we are always talking about the same things: mods, flat tyres, brakes. Chrome kits, oil, windscreens, etc. The clubs all have different names but their members are amalgamated into one thing: PTW's.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7517
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
johnymoore wrote:
FWIW it is very much a North American thing that people look down on scooter riders. We got over that kind of thing in the 60s. Scooter riders were better dressed and still kicked the asses of bikers on the beaches of Brighton. Nobody looks at us now as soft.
IMHO in the USA the change needs to start with scooter riders. I am a member of a sports biike club and HD club simply because I like to socialise with them at their starting point and admire their bikes. Even though I only have scooters. When I talk to them I realize that we are always talking about the same things: mods, flat tyres, brakes. Chrome kits, oil, windscreens, etc. The clubs all have different names but their members are amalgamated into one thing: PTW's.
Like you I've met a lot of hardcore biker guys with HD's and have had great conversations with then with my Vespa and often they have questions about it. I've even had these conventions with patched MC riders. There is one group I will not talk to when up in Port Dover but let's just say they are patched and most people do not talk to them and leave them alone. No, not Angels, a different group. I've talked to some Angels before and it's been fine. That being said their are assholes everywhere and plenty of Harley riders that don't like the rep the dickish ones give them.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4008
Location: Latina (Italy)
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:01 am quote
Is the scooter a substitute for the motorcycle? One is alcoholic and the other is non-alcoholic, beer or wine? Is the scooter for teetotalers? What would "Hud the Savage" have been with a Vespa? Does the Pope like the scooter or the motorcycle? I would also like to say about those who have a sidecar but this is already difficult ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7517
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:38 am quote
Attila wrote:
Is the scooter a substitute for the motorcycle? One is alcoholic and the other is non-alcoholic, beer or wine? Is the scooter for teetotalers? What would "Hud the Savage" have been with a Vespa? Does the Pope like the scooter or the motorcycle? I would also like to say about those who have a sidecar but this is already difficult ...
I think the Angels I'm referring to have very little to do with the Pope
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 8635
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:52 am quote
In the US, look at your VIN number plate, US DOT considers them Motorcycles.
It's not the states decision.
Now 50cc's may be classified as Scooters by the US DOT, never looked at a VIN plate on a 50cc Vespa.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4008
Location: Latina (Italy)
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
I think the Angels I'm referring to have very little to do with the Pope
... ah ... I already thought you had a mystical crisis ...
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2477s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0497s) ][ Debug on ]