OP
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
I'm interested in hearing owners' real-world experience with the matte finish paints that have been offered on Vespas in recent years. That Super Sport HPE in Blue Vivace really catches my eye. While I'm more of a rider than a waxer/polisher, I like a nice looking machine, be it car or scooter. My worry is that the matte finish is particularly finicky in terms of routine upkeep, and thus won't age well if it's neglected OR "over-maintained."

Thoughts?
OP
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Anyone?
UTC

Hooked
LT150, Aprilia Mojito 150, MP3 500 and 2019 Vespa Sei Giorni

Hooked
LT150, Aprilia Mojito 150, MP3 500 and 2019 Vespa Sei Giorni
UTC quote
I asked the same question when I purchased my Sei Giorni. The general concession is it is very durable. JUST DON'T WAX it. Ever. Most suggested not to even wash it with a rag. In order to keep the satin finish do not rub the paint.

These days I'm a fair weather rider. My bikes don't usually need washing. Since new I've only used a DuPont product made for satin finish paint. It's available at Walmart. Spray it on smashed bugs and dirt and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth and it does the job without harming the finish.

Hope this helps.

Bill
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
https://www.motul.com/it/it/products/e11-matte-surface-clean-12x0-400l
This is the Italian link, you have to look for the US one but it's just to make you understand which product.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
If you like a matte finish then get it, however I was always worried that I would do something 'wrong' to the flat black of my GTS. You hear stories about 'don't rub this' 'don't press too hard', that I just left it alone. A quick wipe with a damp cloth if needed. No problems, but as to longevity, I'm not sure. Wouldn't get another as I'd like to wax (not polish) when I'm in the mood, whether it needs it or not. A bit like changing the oil before the manual says.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Well, general thoughts:

-as we all know, 'fit & finish' tend to depend on the manufacturer. Let this be a disclamer...

-I've now had a bike (Triumph) with a matte painted tank for 3 seasons. I keep my bike clean(ish) and I'm mostly a fair weather rider. A bit of gravel dust, bugs and even mud, but nothing difficult to clean. A gloss paint is definitely easier to maintain, as you can use quite a force to clean it & waxing gloss paint is an easy way to make a bike look like new.

-that said, nothing wrong with my matte paint after 3 seasons. No waxing, no special products used (... let's not mention.... OK, I'll do it anyway: I've used only hand dish wash soap for cleaning Wha? emoticon)

-not that this matters much to most, but I'll have to add that my bikes stand outside, under a light cover about 7 months per year. Temperatures varying between mighty cold to slush, lots of moisture around.... matte color does not seem to take this any worse than gloss, even without wax.

I have only a tank to take care of - I'm not 100% sure whether I would like to have as much matte painted surfaces as in a Vespa, but it should be doable.
@335rick avatar
UTC

Hooked
300 super sport Full Malossi and carbon Edition

Hooked
@335rick avatar
300 super sport Full Malossi and carbon Edition
UTC quote
Its very easy to clean the Vespa Matt finish
Special the yellow one 🛵😉
The dark colors are difficult toclean in my eyes.
Use enough water en matt shampoo
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies, everyone...definitely some good food for thought.

Rick - that matte yellow GTS of yours is just absolutely stunning. We didn't get that color offered in the US for 2020, but if we did, I wouldn't even have to think about which color to get!
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
335Rick wrote:
Its very easy to clean the Vespa Matt finish
Special the yellow one 🛵😉
The dark colors are difficult toclean in my eyes.
Use enough water en matt shampoo
Eyelashes emoticon
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
I've had three bikes with the matt finish including a 2007 Harley that I owned for 8 years. This finish is bullet proof and easier to maintain than I imagined. My 2018 Yellow GTS is even better. I actually enjoy the fact that it always looks clean whereas the gloss paint jobs show dust and spots much easier.
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
I made the mistake of buying the blue vivace OP mentioned, the fun starts when you get a little scratch while parked in the city, and trust me this paint is way too fragile, you can make a scratch with your fingernail. Anyway there is no touch up available for this matte color, buffing or fine sanding of course is out of the question, your best bet is to add a sticker every time you scratch it, i am actually thinking of selling it because of the paint, which looked so nice, but turned out to be a source of stress.
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech

Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
UTC quote
Mastodont1 wrote:
I made the mistake of buying the blue vivace OP mentioned, the fun starts when you get a little scratch while parked in the city, and trust me this paint is way too fragile, you can make a scratch with your fingernail. Anyway there is no touch up available for this matte color, buffing or fine sanding of course is out of the question, your best bet is to add a sticker every time you scratch it, i am actually thinking of selling it because of the paint, which looked so nice, but turned out to be a source of stress.
Would you be willing to post a picture of some of the scratches? My first GTS was the matte titanium SuperSport and I commuted on it in NYC for 3,500 miles without experiencing those kinds of paint issues. The only scratches I got were from road debris hitting the area behind the front fender, although I rode in all kinds of weather and through the winter months and never really cleaned it (whoops).

Here's what it looked like when I sold it after a year and a half:
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
strawberrysoda wrote:
Would you be willing to post a picture of some of the scratches? My first GTS was the matte titanium SuperSport and I commuted on it in NYC for 3,500 miles without experiencing those kinds of paint issues. The only scratches I got were from road debris hitting the area behind the front fender, although I rode in all kinds of weather and through the winter months and never really cleaned it (whoops).

This was why I elected to go with Scooterwest's fender extension quite soon after getting hold of Thelonica: the cosmetic damage behind your fender happens to any Vespa, regardless of finish. Melody suffered two rather large sections of chipped paint, with a touch of corrosion as a result, as the damage also took out the base coat as well.

Otherwise: too soon to tell regarding the paint's durability overall. For cleaning, I grab a bucket of mildly-warm water with a pinch of Simple Green, use a high-grade automotive chamois, do a gentle wash-down, followed by a gentle rinse, and that pretty much does it.
Then: Melody, last October, almost fully repaired from Crash #1 in May; along the weld seam, chips of despair. (Six years' worth.)
Then: Melody, last October, almost fully repaired from Crash #1 in May; along the weld seam, chips of despair. (Six years' worth.)
Now: Thelonica, with Scooterwest fender extension. (Note: Photo taken shortly after installation; those bits of dirt you see to the left were on the bike beforehand.) ;-)
Now: Thelonica, with Scooterwest fender extension. (Note: Photo taken shortly after installation; those bits of dirt you see to the left were on the bike beforehand.) ;-)
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 1 time
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech

Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
This was why I elected to go with Scooterwest's fender extension quite soon after getting hold of Thelonica: the cosmetic damage behind your fender happens to any Vespa, regardless of finish. Melody suffered two rather large sections of chipped paint, with a touch of corrosion as a result, as the damage also took out the base coat as well.

Otherwise: too soon to tell regarding the paint's durability overall. For cleaning, I grab a bucket of mildly-warm water with a pinch of Simple Green, use a high-grade automotive chamois, do a gentle wash-down, followed by a gentle rinse, and that pretty much does it.
I'm sure the fender extender really helps with debris, but I'm just not a fan of how they look. I have 750 miles on my recently-acquired Grigio Delicato SuperTech with the stock fender and, for now, the underside still looks nice. I wipe down that whole area every week when checking my tires so fingers crossed it stays nice for awhile.🤞
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
There are different models with different looks available. I have one from SLUK (great experiences doing business with them) and I like the design.

You might not see the damage right away, it's more like a slow chipping away of the paint and protective layers until you have rust. Once you mount that guard and see how much dirt it keeps away from the painted metal, it becomes clear why it is protective.
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech

Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
There are different models with different looks available. I have one from SLUK (great experiences doing business with them) and I like the design.

You might not see the damage right away, it's more like a slow chipping away of the paint and protective layers until you have rust. Once you mount that guard and see how much dirt it keeps away from the painted metal, it becomes clear why it is protective.
Ehh, I'm still not a fan. I get the value they offer, but I personally feel like they make the front end look clunky and cluttered which takes away from the enjoyment I get out of looking at my Vespa. Totally get why some folks like it though. If were to do something, I might put some sort of clear protective film on that area right behind the front fender.
@gvdb avatar
UTC

Hooked
Sei Giorni 2020

Hooked
@gvdb avatar
Sei Giorni 2020
UTC quote
I had the 2016 Super Sport for about 4 years and I've now had the 2020 Sei Giornii for about 2.

The SS was parked outside.

Neither bike has had any problems with their matte finishes whatsoever.
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
strawberrysoda wrote:

I would, if i didn't already made things worse by trying a touch up i had made at a paint shop, they did not get the color right, got money back but that's not much consolation. Anyway, there is white primer under the blue, the blue coating seems very thin and soft.
@mitleider avatar
UTC

Hooked
2024 GTV & 2024 GTS Supertech

Hooked
@mitleider avatar
UTC quote
Great question! I bought a Matte Yellow 2017 GTS Super new and have used Dr Beasleys line of matte finish cleaner and sealer with perfect results. A bit pricey but worth it!
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
GVDB wrote:
I had the 2016 Super Sport for about 4 years and I've now had the 2020 Sei Giornii for about 2.

The SS was parked outside.

Neither bike has had any problems with their matte finishes whatsoever.
That SG is sweet! You probably are not going to have problems before someone leans on your paint with something hard, impossible to fix without painting the whole part after that if you get the color and gloss right. Or maybe the blue one has softer paint, who knows, i can even see marks from having a passenger back there.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Hooked
@coddy avatar
UTC quote
Mastodont1 wrote:
Touch up paint is available from SIP.

I bought a touch up paint pen for a scratch on mine and it blends in ok.
@mitleider avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mitleider avatar
UTC quote
I think the key takeaway here is that any paint provides a soft fragile and vulnerable finish, whether the top clearcoat is shiny or matte. A scratch for me is always heartbreak so I'm super careful always. If it gets scratchedin a conspicuous place, and it got,Mets me to see it, I simply have it painted.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Mine is matte blue metallic and especially in the sun this paint does look spectacular. Not many scratches in over two years of much urban riding either. Maybe partially because I put a cover on whenever I park for more than a few hours.

But even if my Vespa had more scratches, to me scratches are like wrinkles or scars, they can be marks of a life well lived, past adventures and stories to be told.
@strawberrysoda avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech

Hooked
@strawberrysoda avatar
2022 GTS 300 SuperTech
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
But even if my Vespa had more scratches, to me scratches are like wrinkles or scars, they can be marks of a life well lived, past adventures and stories to be told.
Well said, and something I always try to remember (sometimes more successfully than others).
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Matte paint on vehicles is notoriously difficult to match when doing paint repairs. Gloss paints are somewhat easier to repair because of the ability to wet sand with very fine grits and buff with polishing compounds. This is a somewhat different discussion than how durable are matte paints or the best ways to clean them.
⚠️ Last edited by Dooglas on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
Touch up paint is available from SIP.

I bought a touch up paint pen for a scratch on mine and it blends in ok.
This is news, can you provide a link or something, as i was not able to find it on their site, it seems these matte color repair pens are nowhere to be found, probably has something to do with the outcomes not being very good due to not being able to fine sand an buff without making it gloss.
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Mastodont1 wrote:
This is news, can you provide a link or something, as i was not able to find it on their site, it seems these matte color repair pens are nowhere to be found, probably has something to do with the outcomes not being very good due to not being able to fine sand an buff without making it gloss.
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/paint-pen-sip_PI610758

On their site searched for "paint pen". saw two in matte.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@coddy avatar
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
I decided to not worry. Here's some pics taken within a couple of days of the previous wash 🤣
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
you even found him the exact color of his scooter! Nice job
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
Thank you so very much, paint pen was not one of my searches, will put order in right away.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
Can't speak to Vespa's matte paint but I spent a good bit to be able to switch my Harley from matte black to gloss back and never regretted it. I've heard from Triumph Bonneville family owners that their matte black is pretty disliked as well.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
I decided to not worry. Here's some pics taken within a couple of days of the previous wash 🤣
That's what I call putting it through its proper paces!
@gvdb avatar
UTC

Hooked
Sei Giorni 2020

Hooked
@gvdb avatar
Sei Giorni 2020
UTC quote
For what it's worth.

My Sei Giorni has been in the body shop twice and the paint repairs were perfect.

First time it was vandalized around the horn cover with a crowbar and second time backed into and knocked over and had work on the engine cowls.

Had the work done through Revolution Moto, where I bought it. Paint and work was matched perfectly.
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
Just wanted to inform everyone, SIP cannot ship paint pens abroad, because they are flammable, called them, what a joke, might have to take a trip to germany then
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
Mastodont1 wrote:
Just wanted to inform everyone, SIP cannot ship paint pens abroad, because they are flammable, called them, what a joke, might have to take a trip to germany then
Just wondering how Coddy managed to get his. Perhaps SIP use a different carrier for Finland than they do for the UK?
@coddy avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@coddy avatar
UTC quote
Mastodont1 wrote:
Send me your address and i'll send you mine.

Just send it back when you are done.
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
Send me your address and i'll send you mine.

Just send it back when you are done.
What an offer, you think a letter(if it fits) is ok to send without any customs hassle between UK and EU?
@coddy avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@coddy avatar
UTC quote
I don't see why not, I can send it in a padded envelope the same as SIP sent it to me. Do you need a little bottle of varnish to go with it?
UTC

GTS300HPE Super -19

GTS300HPE Super -19
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
I don't see why not, I can send it in a padded envelope the same as SIP sent it to me. Do you need a little bottle of varnish to go with it?
So it has been a while since you ordered from them, or do you think they would still send to the UK? Because an even better option would be if someone could order from SIP and send to me, i could pay for the trouble, just thinking future might have another scratch in store
So is the original paint also covered in matte varnish?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0593s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0345s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]