@geet60 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 60/ 54 Vespa ACMA / 06 GT200

Hooked
@geet60 avatar
UTC quote
After 4 years I spotted my stolen Vespa on YouTube.
1954 ACMA
1954 ACMA
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
wow! That's amazing.

Now you just need to get it back.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Let me know if you need help getting it back. i will help any way i can. i hate thieves.
@standulemba avatar
UTC

Sadly, no scooter yet

@standulemba avatar
Sadly, no scooter yet
UTC quote
Can you tell where it is? I'm in US South again.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
i think this demands a bit of back story.

but also, just from the screen shot it looks like a highline shop.

so what's up?

-g
@standulemba avatar
UTC

Sadly, no scooter yet

@standulemba avatar
Sadly, no scooter yet
UTC quote
It appears Sean owns a media company in Richmond VA.
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
Here's the video. https://youtu.be/0OlMey1CNlg

He had it for sale for $7000. Claims $12K in restoration cost.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
Video is over 4 years old now.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Touched a community nerve.
Sleuths are all over this one!
OP
@geet60 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@geet60 avatar
UTC quote
1954 ACMA
greasy125 wrote:

so what's up?

-g
Wow! So last night I went digging through paperwork to get all of my facts straight. I bought the bike from a guy in Seattle in 2007. It's an ACMA, which is about as rare as it gets in the Vespa world. If you look at my old posts you'll see that this was a beautiful bike and in reasonably good shape. I took it to a shop in Covington, OH to get the restoration done and that's where all of the trouble started. This shop never did anything they promised to do and much of the work was just done wrong. Finally after two years and no Vespa I e-mailed them to say that I was coming to pick the bike up. That's when they said they had sold it for parts. After I had spent a ridiculous amount of money on it. That's where the communication ended. They never contacted me before or after they sold the bike.

Every once in a while I would Google 54 Vespa ACMA and it usually led me back to my own posts. Yesterday that changed. There it was in a video. I called the number, a guy named Sean answered. I told him I was interested in the bike. He said, "another guy was interested in it as well." I asked where it was and he said it was in a warehouse in Cincinnati. I told him the bike was stolen and that I had the title. He got quite flustered and said he would get back to me in 30 minutes.
So far it has been a long thirty minutes.

Stay tuned. I appreciate the moral support and PLEASE don't harass this guy until I find out the story. Thanks everybody.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Lee Lux, aka @ThatScooterThing, aka DRC174 on here, is in/around Cincinatti and I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

I also know plenty of Cincinatti/Ohio people who'd be more than happy to help out, too.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb
UTC quote
Wow... Shit and Show.

Hope you get your bike back man.
@roliver1972 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@roliver1972 avatar
UTC quote
I unfortunately have had too many things stolen, and completely understand the unsettling feeling and need to continually search for years. I personally would not have said anything about it being stolen to the guy that you talked to. Instead I would have someone, or at least bullshit my way through setting up a meeting at which point I would finally involve law enforcement. More than likely he is going to be ditching your call from this point forward. Maybe in a day or so having someone with a local number call him and inquire might help. I wish the best and hope it returns to your hands.

Leave the street justice until after you have it.

( I also sent some info on Sean Cook via PM including business address and facebook info )
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Re: 1954 ACMA
GeeT60 wrote:
greasy125 wrote:

so what's up?

-g
Wow! So last night I went digging through paperwork to get all of my facts straight. I bought the bike from a guy in Seattle in 2007. It's an ACMA, which is about as rare as it gets in the Vespa world. If you look at my old posts you'll see that this was a beautiful bike and in reasonably good shape. I took it to a shop in Covington, OH to get the restoration done and that's where all of the trouble started. This shop never did anything they promised to do and much of the work was just done wrong. Finally after two years and no Vespa I e-mailed them to say that I was coming to pick the bike up. That's when they said they had sold it for parts. After I had spent a ridiculous amount of money on it. That's where the communication ended. They never contacted me before or after they sold the bike.

Every once in a while I would Google 54 Vespa ACMA and it usually led me back to my own posts. Yesterday that changed. There it was in a video. I called the number, a guy named Sean answered. I told him I was interested in the bike. He said, "another guy was interested in it as well." I asked where it was and he said it was in a warehouse in Cincinnati. I told him the bike was stolen and that I had the title. He got quite flustered and said he would get back to me in 30 minutes.
So far it has been a long thirty minutes.

Stay tuned. I appreciate the moral support and PLEASE don't harass this guy until I find out the story. Thanks everybody.
Wow this whole thing just turns my stomach, if this were me I would never have told the guy on the phone the bike had been stolen , I would have done everything I could to lead the guy into thinking I wanted to pay big ( as much as it took ) to buy the bike , got the address to view and pounced on it and the seller and sort out the rest later. You may never hear back from this guy now , but I sure hope it was legitedly bought buy this guy and you get it worked out.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
If that's the person who illegally obtained it's gone again. I would have made an offer of $1000.00 more then he was asking and went for a drive. Get a TracFone and activate it with a phone number local for him. Get someone else to call who won't have the stress in their voice, and sounds different.
OP
@geet60 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@geet60 avatar
UTC quote
Update
On a positive note, the video guy called me back and was totally helpful in getting to the bottom of things. Fingers crossed.
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Depending on what you want to spend, see if you can find a local private investigator to have a look.
UTC

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)

Hooked
UTC quote
Can't you have the police department that you originally reported this to send the report over to the police in the bike's current location? Or call them up with your original file # and ask them what to do?
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Look, I get it, I've been searching on craigslist for stolen gear for going on 20 years. You have a rare opportunity, seize it.

Call the police.

If it's deemed that this is a stolen bike, the guy who has it now must surrender it -- even if he paid for it in a legitimate sale. It's possible that he is/will not be on your side.

The longer you don't have it, the greater the risk that "the other guy who is interested" buys it in a "cash sale" and vanishes. When that happens, you get nothing.

So, if you haven't already, call the cops and do it right. Otherwise, I'm going to be the first guy who posts the ROFLMAO emoji. :p
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
GeeT60 wrote:
On a positive note, the video guy called me back and was totally helpful in getting to the bottom of things. Fingers crossed.
If the guy who has it now sells it... then he is liable for selling stolen goods. He now knows it is stolen. And that is a big deal.

Let's respect GeeT60's request to work with the guy - who is likely innocent and a victim himself given he has returned the call.

Crossing fingers for a good outcome.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I took it to a shop in Covington, OH to get the restoration done and that's where all of the trouble started. This shop never did anything they promised to do and much of the work was just done wrong. Finally after two years and no Vespa I e-mailed them to say that I was coming to pick the bike up. That's when they said they had sold it for parts. After I had spent a ridiculous amount of money on it. That's where the communication ended. They never contacted me before or after they sold the bike.
wait. wut? they just sold your shit? nah... that's just like wtf?!?

how long was it at the shop?

and also, if i'd spent a "ridiculous amount of money" i'd be jumping in a u-haul to go get my shizz or making a big ass stink at the shop.

i want the dirty details.

also, we don't normally name and shame around these parts, but i'll give you carte blanche on this one... just so somebody else doesn't get burned.

-g
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
Quote:
I took it to a shop in Covington, OH to get the restoration done and that's where all of the trouble started. This shop never did anything they promised to do and much of the work was just done wrong. Finally after two years and no Vespa I e-mailed them to say that I was coming to pick the bike up. That's when they said they had sold it for parts. After I had spent a ridiculous amount of money on it. That's where the communication ended. They never contacted me before or after they sold the bike.
wait. wut? they just sold your shit? nah... that's just like wtf?!?

how long was it at the shop?

and also, if i'd spent a "ridiculous amount of money" i'd be jumping in a u-haul to go get my shizz or making a big ass stink at the shop.

i want the dirty details.

also, we don't normally name and shame around these parts, but i'll give you carte blanche on this one... just so somebody else doesn't get burned.

-g
I was thinking the same thing - 2 years? Whaaaat???
OP
@geet60 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@geet60 avatar
UTC quote
It was a big wtf moment. The bike was in the shop for approximately two years.
I was living in Ohio when the work started, cleaning out my Mom's house after she rode her last Vespa so to speak. After a year I ended up moving out of state for work. Costs kept piling up and communication went into radio silence. I finally got fed up and e-mailed them that I was coming to pick up the bike.
The office manager told me that I had to talk to the owner. That took a few more days but I finally got ahold of the owner and he said, "We sold it for parts because we hadn't heard from you. Bottom line, they never called, e-mailed or wrote or returned my calls. At the time I was going to take them to court and because of being out of state it just kind of faded away. I'm not shaming but it wouldn't be hard for anyone to figure out. I'm just happy that I still have the title. It was annoying as all hell and trust me, when I saw it online, well, I was mildly annoyed.

BTW, the reason the bike was 2 years in the shop is that this place usually did really high end antique restorations. Folks that could afford to spend $200K on a restoration. That wasn't me but I figured, how much could a small frame Vespa cost. They took the bike completely apart. Essentially, I chose the wrong shop. I didn't find that out until I was too far down the road.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
Hey man.
Crazy story.
Smart to contact.
Now you need to document.

Suggest:
Text the guy with photo of ur title. X out the sensitive data.
Restate it's stolen and what happened on the call.
This will create a paper trail and give you legal leverage - he would be committing a crime selling something he had every reason to believe was stolen.
Otherwise he can say he didn't know.
Tell him to call you and work out how he I'll return it.
Move quick before he can sell or move it and claim ignorance.

You'll get a call.
My$.02
Good luck!
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
GeeT60 wrote:
At the time I was going to take them to court and because of being out of state it just kind of faded away.
Did you report it stolen or anything to the police? I'm guessing the laws in the states would make it pretty difficult for them to legally sell your property - that they would have to take you to court to claim it against unpaid costs and become legal owners to then sell it.

Because walking away like that kinda meant you abandoned it. And now poor Steve may get shafted because who knows how many hands it's been through - unless he bought it directly from this resto company.

I'm guessing that this happened at a time in your life where you couldn't deal with it - that there were bigger issues going on. I've been there - 'lost' a Kombi because I couldn't deal with it.

Tricky mess. Hope it has a happy ending somehow.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
I suggest that the next thing you do is see if the VIN# is in the official, legally enforceable National stolen vehicle data base. If you never filed it as 'stolen' regardless of the circumstances, and it's not there, you may have little to work with.

I would think that 4 years is within the statute of limitations, and if you haven't yet, you could report it now. You can truthfully tell them that you were trying to work with and then find the guy at the shop, and you were searching online since trying to find out where it was, so you could claim it. You didn't want to claim it was stolen if it was just some kind of mixup.

Ain't a lawyer, so grain of salt... Nerd emoticon

Good luck! If it was me, and you find out the guy that has it to be innocent, I'd consider offering at least whatever he's outa pocket if he did any needed work on it properly.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
So what sort of shape was the scooter in when you originally dropped it off at the shop? And how much money did you pay them to work on it? I don't know your state laws, but maybe they did a "mechanics lien" on the scooter?

https://www.lienitnow.com/ohio-faq
https://frostbrowntodd.com/five-frequent-fatal-mistakes-of-ohio-mechanics-lien-claimants/
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
I was thinking the same thing - 2 years? Whaaaat???
actually for this type of bike, 2 years wouldn't be out of the norm at all. very rare, very difficult to track down parts, meticulous disassembly and reassembly, and if we talking paint work and chrome or straightening up some trim. the time just rolls out.

but to adios it as "parts" if you're a shop is just straight bullshit. and it don't matter what kind of shop you are. a phone call or an email of: come get your shit is in order.

but it sounds like this was some high end resto car joint so they thought it was probably just a toy and not worth their time.

-g
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
First off, you now know that the manager of the shop lied to you when he said "we sold the scooter off for parts." Just looked at your post from 12 years ago when you first got the scoot ...

My 54 Vespa ACMA

They sold the whole damn thing. That's out right fraud.

Second, every state has laws that spell out the process a mechanic has to follow to sell a vehicle that belongs to a customer. Virtually all states require some form of notice to be actually given to the owner of the vehicle and a statement of the amount due for any work or storage fees. Did you ever receive any such statement? Suggest you look into the laws that apply in your state.

That aside, I would immediately notify the local police that someone is listing for sale a rare vehicle to which you have title. Send a copy of the title and have it taken into custody before it disappears for another 12 years.
@jim_mcclain avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@jim_mcclain avatar
2020 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Anyone think about the statute of limitations? They may have expired after all this time, leaving the original owner SOL.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
SoCalGuy laid it out just the way it should have gone down and what you should be jumping to do right now. It makes me furious every time I read through this topic, just not right.

I can tell you something right now, when I found out just how bad I had got taken on my scoot I was pissed for years but I didn't give up and I got myself on a mission to get it to where I would be satisfied ( happy ) with the end result, your scooter is so damn unique and rare that I honestly can't understand how you let it get this far out of your control , man get this shit back in your control, there's no cost too high !!!
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
Jim McClain wrote:
Anyone think about the statute of limitations? They may have expired after all this time, leaving the original owner SOL.
Limitations would be on the person who stole it facing criminal charges. The shop that has possession of the scooter would have to surrender it to the police and be given back to the original owner. The shop unless knowing it was stolen will be harmless but for them to get their money back would have to sus who they bought it from. The original thief cant be tried in court for a crime but can be brought to civil court in some states.
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
I think this all goes back to the original shop that sold it out from under you. What was done then ? Did they compensate you in any way ? It is definitely time to bring in the police and give them everything you have and know.
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
UTC quote
any update on this??
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I looked up the website of the company that was restoring the ACMA scooter:

https://www.ddclassic.com

It looks like a real company, doing very high-end work, mostly on cars. It's hard to imagine a place like that stealing a scooter, even a rare one. They were surely exercising a mechanic's lien for allegedly unpaid work.

I assume they would have a different take than the original owner on what happened. Hard to know given how strangely the situation seems to have unfolded, but it seems that there was a "failure to communicate" or two, if I can quote Cool Hand Luke.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
No man can eat 50 eggs.

But yeah, there be more to this story....

-g
@rob98801 avatar
UTC

Addicted
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3

Addicted
@rob98801 avatar
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3
UTC quote
Walking on eggshells here.

"A mechanic's lien is a security interest in the title to the property for the benefit of those who have supplied labor or materials that improve the property."

I have signed a few of these lien forms over the years...and of course, I never read them before signing, "just a boilerplate form". Then one time I came too near to losing some bit of this or that.

Most have some type of "loss of contact" statement that can legally reach out and bite the unaware in the wallet or ass.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1631s ][ Queries: 43 (0.1223s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]