Piaggio mp3 400 ie 2008 *Stalling*
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
2008 Piaggio MP3
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:24 pm quote
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all the enthusiasm on this site. Makes me feel like I'm in good hands!

I bought a 2008 practically mint condition mp3. There's only 2 issues which I believe are related.

The bike stalls rarely coming out of redlight and once at the lowest RPM. Also the "P" light is on though the parking brake works just fine. The "!" light flashes on and off occasionally.

The mechanics in Brookly seem hesitant to mess with the MP3. Most of the word I've gotten so far has been related to "throttle body cleaning".

Has anyone successfully done this? Or had a similar issue and solved it some other way.

I have electrical cleaner I'm happy to apply myself if the throttle cleaning is simple. But if its complicated I would love some direction to give to the mechanic here in Brooklyn.

All the Best.
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:21 pm quote
Engine stalling is likely a dirty or clogged throttle body. May be able to fix with a spray. There should be a relevant thread around here somewhere. I wouldn't use electrical cleaner though. Carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner would be a better choice.

The "P" light for the parking brake I believe is just a mechanical switch near the lever. Could be stuck from lack of use. Unfortunately a lot of pieces need to come off in order to remove the knee panel and get to where the switch is. While you're at it, make sure the parking brake is actually functioning correctly and the parking brake cable is not sticking.

The "!" light is a warning for the tilt system. Problem with the pressure sensor? Is it leaking? Problem with the tilt motor position sensor? Is the motor not moving correctly? Tilt switch itself stuck? Mine does that and I have to manually center the switch. It's not difficult to remove the y-shaped nose piece, the windshield, and the dash cover. Then you can get a look at the tilt motor and the tilt fluid reservoir.

Would be worth your while to find the service manual here on the forum and download the pdf for a reference.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:23 am quote
Sounds like a clogged idle port. It's the small hole in the throttle body when you take the intake pipe off.
Get some throttle body cleaner and spray some in that hole while revving the motor. Motor may stall just start it back up.

Good to do an oil change afterwards too
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1366s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0363s) ][ Debug on ]