Could use a little help.
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous1234567Next
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:38 pm quote
Joefromthefuture wrote:
Trying to make a screen accurate replica of a Vespa 180SS

I would sand blast but I don't have access to sand blasting equipment. However a buddy of mine recently got a degree in welding and metal works so I'm hoping he'll be able to determine if my frame is usable or repairable. If not I'll be buying a replacement
"screen accurate replica" of a SS180? well... for starters, why? second, you started with the wrong bike. but whatever.

also...
Quote:
As for sand blasting I've got access to the tools needed, I'd imagine it's gonna take some research to figure out how to do it properly without risk of damaging the frame but I'm willing to go for it.
soooo... what happened between now and monday with that? thought you were set?

beyond that, somebody with a "degree in welding and metal works" knows fuck all about frame and alignment. can you put two pieces of metal together? here's your piece of paper. bye.

i hate to tell you this man, but you just crashed your hopeful helicopter into the deep end of the pool with both feet.

loving this nonsense, though.

-g

p.s. get the frame blasted.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:40 am quote
Joefromthefuture wrote:
I would sand blast but I don't have access to sand blasting equipment.
Must be a huge coincidence - a crazy random happenstance if you will - but I just found this! I mean, what are the odds!!? Must be like, one to a thousand.

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=sandblasting&find_loc=Athens%2C+GA

Untitled.jpg

Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '64 VBB, '66 180SS
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:34 am quote
What does " screen accurate" mean ?
Quote :
"As for sand blasting I've got access to the tools needed, I'd imagine it's gonna take some research to figure out how to do it properly without risk of damaging the frame."
I can only assume this is meant to be tounge-in-cheek.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:13 am quote
Can you post more pics of the odd looking areas please? If it is pieced together in the wrong places as it may well be, your time is better spent getting that other frame. Not worth taking a chance on your first Vespa if you already know it's not right.

Once again, if it was me, I'd take it outside and use a heatgun or a torch and scraper. Goes pretty fast for just what you need to know or takes a long time to do the whole bike. The more paint still on it, the longer time it gets blasted IF you still wanna spend the dough after you get most of the paint and bondo off. Don't set the paint on fire, just get it soft enough to peel off.

But yeah, let's see it blasted to know what it is.
You put a decent motor in that and it will go fast and you will bet your life that something doesn't give.

Let's see a pic where the top of the rear shock mounts.

No sign of the VIN? The other bike has papers? Just bite the bullet.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:09 am quote
What happened between then and now is I learned that my buddy sold his sandblasting equipment a while back. This is very much a project I'm trying to get my friends in on cause we all have a love for it.

I'd rather not need to spend a couple hundred bucks to get the thing blasted then find out I need to spend an extra six hundred bucks to buy a new frame entirely.

Me and my friend both have fair knowledge in vehicle design and I'm fairly confident that we could figure get this thing in a safe clean condition.

And if not, it's no biggy. I'm willing to throw the money into getting a new one. All it means is it's gonna take a little bit longer to get the rest of the parts needed.

As for what I'm trying to replicate, I'm basically just trying to recreate Boomerjinks's 180ss to the best of my capability.

So far the only major difference I see in the 150S frame and the 180SS frame is the Piaggio badge. The placement on my frame is intended for a hexagon shaped badge and the 180SS is intended for a rectangular badge.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:22 am quote
V oodoo
The idea of getting a frame with a title has been on my mind alot, not even considering the idea of the condition my frame is in, just having a title for it.

As for sketchy bits, there's quite a few of them.

118579384_226504008786171_6281469568147575277_n.jpg

118309573_2660102134252734_1488069395182024768_n.jpg

118463668_346799773159982_2913480491604411307_n.jpg

118308353_3260351607343927_6368079413179206972_n.jpg

118302494_990281791400633_1071279580271957866_n.jpg

118269742_2481372668830059_8665273195322408015_n.jpg

Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '64 VBB, '66 180SS
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:50 am quote
I don't see anything really wrong with the upper shock mount in your picture...As for the 180SS replica idea, I imagine there isn't anything obvious about the model other than the badging, trim, front suspension , and the softer 'corners', on the cowls. ( The GS160, on the other hand, had a totally different, curvy leg shield. ) The outstanding difference is the motor, obviously. Why would you want to ride around on something that wasn't what it appeared to be ? I can sort of see an SS90 replica as it is a style, but 180SS badges on a sprint is beyond me. It is such a special model. Do you have SS badges on your stock Camaro or Nova ? To me it's like every Mini is now called a Cooper when that was originally a special version of an every day car. Like calling every Mustang a Shelby.
As for sandblasting, I have done my share and I can tell you that outside of a cabinet, it is a huge mess. It will get into everything within range, and unless you are completely covered in Tyvec, it will get into places on your body you don't want. Silica dust can be lethal. Maybe not right away, but down the road... If you don't have a really big compressor you will be wasting your time. The torch and scraper method is effective and will soften thick bondo and paint. Do it outside and don't worry about the little flares and fires and just get it down to a dirty frame and see what you have. I totally agree with scrapping this frame for a better candidate. I appreciate your curiosity but we've all seen it before and who cares to see another bondo covered bodge ? Why waste your time ?
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:01 am quote
Oh man... this is like a Greek tragedy. I love it. Iím totally and fully ensconced. And, AND! Weíre not even through the first act.

Carry on...

-g
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:05 am quote
Moto64
It's the same reason someone would take a R34 GTST and replace body panels and tail lights and give it the Bryan O'Connor paint job. You're not in love with the engine or the authenticity of the vehicle, you're in love with the character and things the vehicle has been through.

Obviously it's not gonna be a 180SS just because I throw a badge on it, but it will feel like I'm one step closer to that fantasy life everyone strives to be in.

Any time I talk about this project I clarify that it's a 150 sprint given a 180SS look because I'm not trying to fool anyone with it. Just trying to feel that sense of "connection between worlds" kinda thing
Molto Verboso
08 GTS 250, 79 P200E, 62 Allstate
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 am quote
Re: Moto64
Joefromthefuture wrote:
Just trying to feel that sense of "connection between worlds" kinda thing
Mushrooms help with this...
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:20 am quote
Che lau.

Itís SS 180

Also thatís like putting an ďRĒ type badge on your stock civic.

Donít be a cheese-dick.

You have nonsense. Own your nonsense.

You seem to be some type of music person. What you are attempting is the equalivent of looking at and wanting a 58 Telly, and then buying a shitty China knock off road abused version of that and then trying to pass it off as a legit 58 Telly

Ya feel me on that?

Look, you can polish a turd.
You can make dogshit into ice cream.

But you know what it takes? SUGAR.

time, money, know how.

Pick two.

-g
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:29 am quote
greasy125
That's actually exactly what I did. Huge fan of the 4003 Rickenbacker but couldn't justify the money for one. So I bought a Chinese knock off, and to this day it's one of my favorite bass guitars I've ever owned or played. And that's going up against Fender and Gibson. In some cases, looks do make a majority of what makes something what it is. As someone who chooses the Chickenbacker over other bass guitars, I know where mine has flaws. But I'll still play it better than any other bass I've touched.

Going back to my R34 reference, if the looks of something are what get you excited for it, don't worry about the specs. If the looks make you happy, stick with the looks.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 am quote
qascooter
I'm down b where u at?
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:44 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
Che lau.

Itís SS 180

Also thatís like putting an ďRĒ type badge on your stock civic.

Donít be a cheese-dick.

You have nonsense. Own your nonsense.

You seem to be some type of music person. What you are attempting is the equalivent of looking at and wanting a 58 Telly, and then buying a shitty China knock off road abused version of that and then trying to pass it off as a legit 58 Telly

Ya feel me on that?

Look, you can polish a turd.
You can make dogshit into ice cream.

But you know what it takes? SUGAR.

time, money, know how.

Pick two.

-g
Greasy,
We will either help this guy achieve his goal or we will not.
Nobody here will spend a penny on his resto of a clapped- out bike, so it's no skin off our nose. Either give the dude what he needs (if you can) or sit TF down and STFU. Please and thank you. He's already made up his mind on what he wants to do, and I warned him the same as you.
My $0.02
-Slashy

Last edited by GoSlash27 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:48 am quote
Joefromthefuture wrote:
Going back to my R34 reference, if the looks of something are what get you excited for it, don't worry about the specs. If the looks make you happy, stick with the looks.
Itís like that gal you take home from
The club.

And then she raids your liquor cabinet and takes all your silverware.

Look... look... we all like sideways bangs and cat eye makeup. But bruh... at some point ya gotta wake up next to her.

And making some eggs for a trash monster is just a fucking chore. And then you wind up feelin a lil dirty after the fact.

You, my friend are teetering on the precipice.

One way is into the depths of insanity. The other back to humanity.

You already done bought the ticket, so you can take the ride if you wants.

Flip that coin.

-g
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 am quote
GoSlashy27
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, Got some goosebumps. But Thank you.

I was expecting to be getting more help from this forum but sadly that has not been the case. Buying this thing I knew it was going to be a project. I guess I could have been more clear but when asking for help and advice, I meant to move forward with the bike I got.

I'm not looking to buy something that just needs a few tweaks, hints why the 500$ price tag was such a good one in my opinion.

You don't get Vespas for 500$, I know that for a fact.

So instead of coming at me with "toss it" , "get a refund" , "nice display piece" I could seriously use a parts list or online store link, personal experiences, etc.

I'm no purist when it comes to these things which is why I'm willing to work with what I have rather than buying authentic parts. Same for badging, I'm looking to please myself, no one else.
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:01 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Greasy,
Nobody here will spend a penny on his resto of a clapped- out bike, so it's no skin off our nose. Either give the dude what he needs (if you can) or sit TF down and STFU.
My $0.02
-Slashy
Oh thank you for piping up person that came in and pumped the forum for information and support, and then promptly left to say nothing and gave anything back. Rad.

You know what this guy needs? ANOTHER FUCKING BIKE

Anyway you want to tell me to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up? Okay chachi. How about all the hand holding you got when you procured your shit house bodge? Yeah. Remember that shit show?

Yeah. I thought so.

So why donít you take that piece of dog shit and shove it up your ass sideways. Hope you wreck it again before that though.

xoxo
-g
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:06 am quote
Re: GoSlashy27
Joefromthefuture wrote:

I was expecting to be getting more help from this forum but sadly that has not been the case. Buying this thing I knew it was going to be a project. I guess I could have been more clear but when asking for help and advice, I meant to move forward with the bike I got.

I'm not looking to buy something that just needs a few tweaks, hints why the 500$ price tag was such a good one in my opinion.

So instead of coming at me with "toss it" , "get a refund" , "nice display piece" I could seriously use a parts list or online store link, personal experiences, etc.

I'm no purist when it comes to these things which is why I'm willing to work with what I have rather than buying authentic parts. Same for badging, I'm looking to please myself, no one else.
My official advice remains what I already told you in PM; you don't have a good frame or good motor... so ditch it.

But having said that, I understand. You've made your decision. I'm here to help.
First order of business is to get that frame stripped and see what you're working with. Follow V oodoo's advice and take a propane torch and paint scraper to it.

Best,
-Slashy
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:08 am quote
Joefromthefuture wrote:

Do you have fabrication skills? Can you weld? Do you have a fully appointed set of tools? Are you mechanically adept? Are you willing and ready to do research?

These are the BASICS from where youíre starting.

Again, Iím not trying to be dick. This is just fact of the matter. I mean, shit you struggled with getting the motor out. Again, Iím not trying to get down on ya, we all start somewhere. But... bro... you gotta get after it a little before jumping in.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
Greasy,
Nobody here will spend a penny on his resto of a clapped- out bike, so it's no skin off our nose. Either give the dude what he needs (if you can) or sit TF down and STFU.
My $0.02
-Slashy
Oh thank you for piping up person that came in and pumped the forum for information and support, and then promptly left to say nothing and gave anything back. Rad.

Anyway you want to tell me to sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up? Okay chachi. How about all the hand holding you got when you procured your shit house bodge? Yeah. Remember that shit show?

Yeah. I thought so.

So why donít you take that piece of dog shit and shove it up your ass sideways. Hope you wreck it again before that though.

xoxo
-g
And this is exactly why this forum is such a shit- show. Lambchops Elvis- wanna- be is a mod. Little wonder why the people with actual experience hang around.
Why don't you focus on moderating instead of technical assistance? The rest of us can handle the heavy lifting in your absence.
-Slashy
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:15 am quote
Quote:
Again, Iím not trying to be dick.
Actually, you are. And succeeding admirably.

-Slashy
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:17 am quote
greasy125
I learn things by hand, I tear things down to get a better idea of how they work. I get that you're trying to get me going from a good start and you're not trying to be a dick. But there's a difference between trying not to be a dick, and not being a dick.

I understand that this isn't a financially reasonable project but I personally enjoy getting my hands dirty and making mistakes. Hell it's how I've lived my whole life, I enjoy doing the dumb shit so I can say I did it.

A big reason why I want to push the idea of restore rather than replace is because so many people here are saying it can't be done. And hell if it can't be done, then I got to say I tried my hardest.

You've clearly got the knowledge and skills to throw behind a project so if you had to work with this bike, what would your steps be if you were trying to restore instead of replace?
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
Greasy,
My $0.02
-Slashy

Yeah. I thought so.

xoxo
-g
And this is exactly why this forum is such a shit- show. Lambchops Elvis- wanna- be is a mod. Little wonder why the people with actual experience hang around.
Why don't you focus on moderating instead of technical assistance? The rest of us can handle the heavy lifting in your absence.
-Slashy
Oh absolutely. Kindly elaborate on your vast technical knowledge from the last four years and your bodgetastic lumps.

Hi my name is slashy and I bought a bodge and it blew up and then I nagged the seller till I got another motor and then I kitted it and blew it up too. That seems to be the narrative, right?

Iím rapt with interest. So feel free my man. Iím here. Done been here a hot minute. And you? Where you been?

Iíll wait....

~smooches~

-g
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:24 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Quote:

-Slashy
Iím not great at everything, but some things I excel at.

But I do enjoy that youíve popped up like a jack in the box and gotten all chirpy. This delights me to no end.

-g
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:30 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
Greasy,
My $0.02
-Slashy

Yeah. I thought so.

xoxo
-g
-Slashy
Oh absolutely. Kindly elaborate on your vast technical knowledge from the last four years and your bodgetastic lumps.

Hi my name is slashy and I bought a bodge and it blew up and then I nagged the seller till I got another motor and then I kitted it and blew it up too. That seems to be the narrative, right?

Iím rapt with interest. So feel free my man. Iím here. Done been here a hot minute. And you? Where you been?

Iíll wait....

~smooches~

-g
You're a mod here, and not a good one. Obviously haven't been paying attention, either.

I built my own motor, and it blew up because of my own mistake (you gave zero advice on the matter yourself).
It has since passed 14,000 km and going strong And I've since done everything possible to maintain/ restore a Vespa. I've split cases, replaced christmas trees/ cables/ converted to pneumatic tires/ and everything else you can think of. What's your story, "cheese-dick"?

Lambchops
-Slashy
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am quote
Joefromthefuture wrote:
if you had to work with this bike, what would your steps be if you were trying to restore instead of replace?
Sandblast it. See what youíre actually working with.

From there itís a go/no go option.

Again, if this was a rare or desirable model different story.

But youíre in a totally different boat adrift at sea.

See what bones you gots to work with and go from there.

-g
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
Quote:

-Slashy

But I do enjoy that youíve popped up like a jack in the box and gotten all chirpy. This delights me to no end.

-g
You're not "great" at moderating. You are great at being the thing you hate; a "cheese dick".

You're out of your element. Let us with the experience handle this and pipe down. *I* am the uncontested resident expert on viet-bodges on this forum.

Just sayin'.
-Slashy

Last edited by GoSlash27 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Molto Verboso
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:33 am quote
Again, $20 for some aircraft strip, some rubber gloves and a scrapper
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:38 am quote
I'll be making an attempt at the heat gun and scraper method once I grab a heat gun.
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:40 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
You're a mod here, and not a good one. Obviously haven't been paying attention, either.
Oh, thank you for the compliment!

-g
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:43 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
Quote:

-Slashy

-g
You're not "great" at moderating. You are great at being the thing you hate; a "cheese dick".

You're out of your element. Let us with the experience handle this and pipe down. *I* am the uncontested resident expert on viet-bodges on this forum.

Just sayin'.
-Slashy
/dying

Man, be glad this place is as civil as it is. You woulda been eaten alive on the BBS

But, yes, with my years of experience and expertise i am clearly out of my element. I know nothing. I am nothing.

-g
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:44 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:

-g
You're quite welcome. Now pipe down and f(*k off.

Regards,
-Slashy

Joe,
What do you need?

Best,
-Slashy
Molto Verboso
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:53 am quote
Not sure heat gun works on bondo
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:56 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:

-g
You're quite welcome. Now pipe down and f(*k off.

Regards,
-Slashy

Joe,
What do you need?

Best,
-Slashy
Are you on the drugs? You must be on the drugs. You signed off twice!

Anyway, yeah, Iíll promptly fuck off because the resident expert whoís not been around... ohhh what like a year plus? Yeah okay buddy.

You keep believing your hype pal. Between that and rosy palm and her five friends you might find some release.

Namaste fuck face.

-g
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:00 am quote
Keep it classy, lambchops

So now that that's done, on to serious business...

Joe, just tell us what you need.

Best,
-Slashy
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:03 am quote
GoSlashy27
Currently since I got the motor and frame replacement on stand by, I've started looking into cosmetic works. I'm looking to try and find the 180SS flares and badges along with retro handlebar blinkers.

Cosmetics aside, if there are any good places to look for parts without trying to go through each and every post on this forum, I'd like to try and buy fresh brake lines and a fresh electrical system if possible.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:08 am quote
Joe,
SIP Scootershop in Germany has everything you could possibly want or need for a scooter resto.

Best,
-Slashy
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:13 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:

Best,
-Slashy
You too hombre.

Just donít go MIA on us for like two years and show up acting like you know what time it is.

I mean, sure weíd probably get along IRL but online you come off as... well.... yeahhh....

Keep it sleazy

-g
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:22 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:

Best,
-Slashy
You too hombre.

Just donít go MIA on us for like two years and show up acting like you know what time it is.

I mean, sure weíd probably get along IRL but online you come off as... well.... yeahhh....

Keep it sleazy

-g
Damn, dude...

Can't you take a hint??

Go away.

The reason us pros went away was people like you. Take a hike. We'll handle it from here.
Regards,
-Slashy
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:50 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
The reason us pros went away was people like you. Take a hike. We'll handle it from here.
Regards,
-Slashy
Ha ha okay. I didnít realize you made your living maintaining, building and restoring vintage motorscooters. Mea culpa.

Carry on.

Joe, youíre in the best hands from here. Enjoy.

-g
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous1234567Next
[ Time: 0.2359s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0465s) ][ Debug on ]