Could use a little help.
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous1234567Next
Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:54 am quote
http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Vintage-Vespa-Parts Is best place to start for parts list, click on diagrams and go from there , but first you have to get your frame stripped , wire wheel , heat and putty knife , pick your poison but it has to be done first . After the frame you have to pull your headset fully apart , tubes out etc. Front fork looks good from outside to you but you have to pull it apart , then cables need to come out and inspected, hell there cheap , just replace . Motor , you didnít say if it runs ? Rear wheel has to come off to check inerds and clutch pack off etc . Iím willing to hang out and move forward with you, I donít know things like the rest of these guys but if you want to spend the money and make something of this like I did with mine you first have to do the frame to the metal. Iím in letís do this , spent enough of my own money, not often I get to help spend anyone elseís.
Hooked
1981 P200E / 1979 P200E / 1974 Rally 200
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm quote
Re: Moto64
Joefromthefuture wrote:
Any time I talk about this project I clarify that it's a 150 sprint given a 180SS look because I'm not trying to fool anyone with it. Just trying to feel that sense of "connection between worlds" kinda thing
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

For one thing, SS180s are not like exotic Italian sports cars, where they sell for millions of dollars. There are some Pebble Beach type collectors that want them to be, but even those concours type restorations try to sell for like $15-20k.

I saw three of them for sale this week in the $4500-5000 range. All 100% complete, heavy patina original condition, or older restorations.

And they're mostly desirable bc the production was short.

An SS180 is basically a Rally 180/200, except:
- trap headset (easy to find)
- slightly wider cowls (you can still buy new, restamped)
- square badge (common)
- No autolube
- fork with one piece shock/dampener (HARD to find. Only used on GS/SS)
- symmetrical split rims/shallow hubs (hard to find/expensive. only used on GS/SS)
- Cylinder induction engine instead of rotary valve (those parts are harder to find than a complete bike).

To build a convincing replica of of an SS180 would cost much more than buying an SS180. And the only people that would care that it's an SS180 would know.
Hooked
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:01 pm quote
This is definitely why it's necessary to blast/remove all the paint.

This is a pretty generous layer of body filler, used to smooth over all sorts of imperfections. So you don't know what you're working with unless it's removed.

Could be lots of hammer marks, welds, rust, etc.

118308353_3260351607343927_6368079413179206972_n_84216.jpg

118302494_990281791400633_1071279580271957866_n_85189.jpg

Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:22 pm quote
LynnB
LMAO YES, think of this as OUR project, only I spend the money and get the bike in the end

Currently the only thing happening with the bike other than tearing it down some more is me making a parts list. Other than that I'm completely holding off on any work untill the frame is inspected.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:25 pm quote
hjo
Damn there are alot more differences than I originally noticed/thought. This is actually super helpful in the project, I'll start looking for more specifics.

The hard to find 180 parts I'll most likely do my self if cosmetic, and if not I'll most likely just leave it alone.

My main goal (other than owning my dream vehicle) is to be able to take this thing to conventions and let other nerds check it out. Hell I nearly lost my $#!+ Just seeing this thing, never thought I'd be able to buy it.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:31 pm quote
Quote:
Other than that I'm completely holding off on any work untill the frame is inspected.
Somebody needs to get those layers of bondo and paint off of there before any proper inspection can take place.
Hooked
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:34 pm quote
Re: hjo
Joefromthefuture wrote:
My main goal (other than owning my dream vehicle) is to be able to take this thing to conventions and let other nerds check it out. Hell I nearly lost my $#!+ Just seeing this thing, never thought I'd be able to buy it.
aaaah. You want one of these?

flcl_cosplay___haruko_s_vespa_ss_180_by_boomerjinks-d6lb7gq.jpg

flcl_haruko_s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks_d50h9gc-fullview.jpg

nbJhw.jpg

news_1AkLKhkQVendnLq.jpg

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:41 pm quote
Joefromthefuture wrote:
Damn there are alot more differences than I originally noticed/thought. This is actually super helpful in the project, I'll start looking for more specifics.

The hard to find 180 parts I'll most likely do my self if cosmetic, and if not I'll most likely just leave it alone.

Yes. Yes, the biggest factor being that it is an entirely different bike. Even the frame is different from what youíve got.

Take it to conventions and whatever. But those in the know will spot it for what it is. A hack job made to look somewhat like an SS180.

Trap headset sprints are rad. Donít get me wrong. But to front trying to be SS180?

Címon son...

-g
Ossessionato

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:43 pm quote
hjo wrote:
Joefromthefuture wrote:
Any time I talk about this project I clarify that it's a 150 sprint given a 180SS look because I'm not trying to fool anyone with it. Just trying to feel that sense of "connection between worlds" kinda thing
To build a convincing replica of of an SS180 would cost much more than buying an SS180. And the only people that would care that it's an SS180 would know.
hjo, we're not building just a replica, we're all building a screen replica. There is a difference, and a price can't be put on that. I guess a good acronym for a "Ratty And Tattered to Screen Accurate Super Sport 180"...or RATSASS180 for short.

Seriously though, i'm loving this thread! *Best $500 of entertainment that i've have for a while!

*COVID has had me on lockdown for quite some time, so i haven't had much entertainment for a while.
Hooked
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:51 pm quote
whodatschrome wrote:
we're not building just a replica, we're all building a screen replica.
A screen replica would be something like this?

Putting GS 160 cowls, and GS letters on the windscreen of a 1970s Rally 200 was enough for the movie Quadrophenia to present it as a GS.

604cd59745acb514844352f561ce2fae.jpg

a10a5659b5836d56f6af5d2d9d8c454b.jpg

Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm quote
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
The reason us pros went away was people like you. Take a hike. We'll handle it from here.
Regards,
-Slashy
Ha ha okay. I didnít realize you made your living maintaining, building and restoring vintage motorscooters. Mea culpa.

Carry on.

Joe, youíre in the best hands from here. Enjoy.

-g
I thought this meant you had agreed to sit down and shut up. When are you going to actually do it? Please clear off at your earliest convenience and take all your s(*thead "friends" with you.

Best,
-Slashy

Last edited by GoSlash27 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:11 pm quote
hjo
that is EXACTLY what I want. It's my dream car (Despite being a scooter)

Not for the engine but for what it's been in. So if it achieves the feel and looks, it's done its job and so have I
Ossessionato

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:14 pm quote
hjo wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
we're not building just a replica, we're all building a screen replica.
A screen replica would be something like this?

Putting GS 160 cowls, and GS letters on the windscreen of a 1970s Rally 200 was enough for the movie Quadrophenia to present it as a GS.
Is that the blond haired guy from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" sitting on that chromy P200? That scooter is also parked precariously close to the edge of that cliff.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:28 pm quote
whodatschrome
Holy shit is that actually Spike?
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:30 pm quote
Joe,
People like this are precisely the reason why I've avoided this forum all these years. It's a s^%tty environment and they're mostly s%^tty people.
They won't help you because what you're doing is a bad idea. I will help you *despite* the fact that what you're doing is a bad idea. That's the difference between them and us.
It's my sincere hope that everyone with nothing constructive to add to this thread will f*&k away off.

Best,
-Slashy
Hooked
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:31 pm quote
Re: hjo
Joefromthefuture wrote:
that is EXACTLY what I want. It's my dream car (Despite being a scooter)

Not for the engine but for what it's been in. So if it achieves the feel and looks, it's done its job and so have I
Do you want it to be road worthy? or is it just a prop? bc that bike is very likely too much of a basket case to be worthwhile making into something safe/reliable.

tbh, the Super and SS are similar in styling. It's mostly difference of proportion.

If you want to make an ok replica, maybe:
- add a glove box (those are like $100)
- SS tail light (maybe like $60-80)
- maybe an SS bench seat
- paint it that yellow and do the stickers
- add that sheet metal thing on the fork

Bonus: you could do a 10" wheel conversion (Sprint/Rally style, parts are easier to find) and bigger front fender (those are still available new)
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:35 pm quote
now it makes sense...
hjo wrote:
Joefromthefuture wrote:
aaaah. You want one of these?
Ohhh, its a reference to an Anime. Now I am understanding the story better.

Thanks, hjo.
Carry on and good luck with the build!

FLCL Replica - 1965 SS180 Restoration

DSbix.jpg

i7fiS92.jpg

Last edited by markosmarkos on Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:35 pm quote
Joefromthefuture wrote:
A big reason why I want to push the idea of restore rather than replace is because so many people here are saying it can't be done. And hell if it can't be done, then I got to say I tried my hardest.
No one is saying it canít be done. Just that it shouldnít. Especially by someone who wonít read/research, doesnít have tools and space, and knows very little about Vespas. Itís a safety issue. This has a high risk of hurting you or worse. It also doesnít make sense financially because of the time/effort to achieve anything worthwhile - you are handicapping yourself before you start (and then likely to do so again if you finish.
Joefromthefuture wrote:
Obviously it's not gonna be a 180SS just because I throw a badge on it, but it will feel like I'm one step closer to that fantasy life everyone strives to be in.
Bro... youíre already balls deep in fantasy. Headline: Weeb gets hurt chasing Vespa cosplay dream.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:43 pm quote
hjo
Sadly a big part of the project is wanting it to be road safe. I wanna be able to drive it rather than having it be a trophy in my house.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:45 pm quote
pheasant plucker
It's a good thing I have you guys here to make sure I get it done right then, eh?
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:55 pm quote
Re: pheasant plucker
Joefromthefuture wrote:
It's a good thing I have you guys here to make sure I get it done right then, eh?
Hardly. Few of them want to help you and even fewer of them know how.

Best,
-Slashy
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:55 pm quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
greasy125 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
The reason us pros went away was people like you. Take a hike. We'll handle it from here.
Regards,
-Slashy
Ha ha okay. I didnít realize you made your living maintaining, building and restoring vintage motorscooters. Mea culpa.

Carry on.

Joe, youíre in the best hands from here. Enjoy.

-g
I thought this meant you had agreed to sit down and shut up. When are you going to actually do it? Please clear off at your earliest convenience and take all your s(*thead "friends" with you.

Best,
-Slashy
Hahahahaha!

I love how you pop up like a fucking jack in the box two years later acting like youíre gods gift to scooterdom.

Get the fuck over yourself king of the bodges.

Youíre a hackasaurus from planet hackulon.

Take your play-skool set of tools and your garage bullshittery back up to whatever podunk town you live in.

Show me some moves and maybe you get a cup of coffee up here in the majors. Till then youíre shit on everybodyís shoe.

Iíve got the chops, LITERALLY, coming and going.

Where be your cred? Who vouches for you?

Any takers wanna back my man here?

Iím big enough to concede defeat to a hack ass know nothing. Holler it up.

-g
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '64 VBB, '66 180SS
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:57 pm quote
Ah ha. I get the screen replica thing now and I do not mean to in any way discourage you from doing whatever you want. Once you start stripping the bondo and paint off of it you will have a much better idea about where you want to go with it. You may not have to go very far.

I thoroughly enjoyed Slashy's adventure and I am sure yours will also be entertaining. You obviously have a sense of humor which is important here. The BBS might have had you running for the door by now. Now, that was a tough crowd.
Hooked
1964 GS160, 1966 90ss, 1976 Sprint Veloce

Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:03 pm quote
I feel like everybody is on crazy pills or there is some A++ level trolling going down.

A bent ass vietbodge and now we're talking SS180 replica?
Addicted
bare metal cafe racer
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:05 pm quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Joefromthefuture wrote:

Best,
-Slashy
Even you think this is a bad idea. So it isnít help... itís enabling. Hope you are also up for helping him wipe his arse when he wrecks.
Hooked
1972 Vespa GTR, 1963 Lambretta LI 125
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:49 pm quote
So this guy has bought a dud. We can see it and I think Joe is coming to terms with it. However, Joe is chasing his dream and it is through this forum he is chasing it. He has got himself advice from many and is taking his own path, which to some is the wrong one. Joe I hope finishes this resto as he will at the end of it have learned some valuable lessons, and we all know what those lessons are.
Then I hope Joe sticks in the scooter scene and then tries another resto and yet again we all know that Joe will look back on our words of advice and this time will probably take notice of some of them and buy something much better to start off with.

Good for you Joe, you are undoubtedly in the vespa club with unfortunately probably the worst vespa on the forum. Spend some money, make some mistakes, listen to your advisors and in the end take the advice you want. Its a fantastic hobby to have and I hope you keep the bug for many years to come.

Lots of great advice on here, but of course the end result has to be something that is safe to ride.

The frame looks like its been bent beyond recognition and ball pined back to some sort of shape and bondo applied to smooth it over.

Take a look at some I have done as this is some of the work you will need to be doing. https://lanfs-lamby.webnode.co.uk/

Good luck with it.
Hooked
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:53 pm quote
gmontag wrote:
I feel like everybody is on crazy pills or there is some A++ level trolling going down.

A bent ass vietbodge and now we're talking SS180 replica?
Yep. TBH, the best course with this thing is to patch the Bondo, paint it the right shade of yellow, and put a P! sticker on it. And use it as a prop.

This bike is never going to be something you'd want to ride.

To even diagnose whether it could be, you need to completely disassemble it, blast it, etc.

It's perfect for a prop, though.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm quote
L4NFF
Some strong words I'll be taking to heart for a long time. Thank you.
Enthusiast
150cc Vespa 1967
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:29 pm quote
The fact that 90% of this group is turning down even the thought of restoring a vietbodge bike tells me one of two things.

1.) It really is just a stupid dangerous idea (which is more than likely)
Or 2.) Someone told them it was a bad idea and they took it to heart and are unwilling to try.

End of the day when it comes down to it a vehicle is a vehicle. they all need a base. And engine. And wheels.

Despite saying multiple times that I'm willing to replace a majority of it people have still treated it as a dumb unsafe idea, which tells me they're judging by someone else's experience rather than their own. Call it what you want, enabling, helping, misleading, fact of the matter is this is gonna be a tough build and I need all the help I can get.

I understand there's gonna be some people here who are gonna be nice and some are gonna be cheese-dicks about it. But at the end of the day this project is gonna happen and it's either gonna work or it won't. Simple as that.

If it works then mission accomplished, not only did I get my dream car. But I fuckin built my dream car! Who all do you know can say that? (Shout out to that one guy that built a retro Lamborghini in his garage)

And if it doesn't work I'll have a hell of a story. And I'll be able to help guide people the same way a hand full of you are guiding me. Where I made my mistakes I can help lead noobies away from that.

This is a project for fun and my own enjoyment. Win or Lose, it's all a game to me.
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:58 pm quote
Iíve done been doing this for damn near 20yrs and I wouldnít let you push me down the alley on that lump.

But if you wanna spend good money after bad thatís on you.

Be safe. Be smart. Good luck.

-g
Hooked
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:01 pm quote
ok. To start with, it looks like you have a bent frame. And the bike is covered in an eighth inch of body filler.

Odds are, that's a bike that was ridden to death, or was assembled from parts of 10 bikes that were all ridden to death.

To replace all the parts you would need, that will add up. Especially if that includes an engine and a new frame.

American market bikes are generally better bet, bc of the way Americans are. You can find ones that were used one summer, and sat around after.

Vespas in Vietnam, India, Indonesia... those got A LOT of use. And the ones that have been sold as restorations for export are done to look shiny and nice in photos, but cutting corners everywhere possible.

My recommendation:

Here's a nice GL that's all complete and original for $2000 in Little Rock.

It has the trapezoid headset, 10" wheels, the same taillight as the FLCL one, a square badge, same horn.

https://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/d/bryant-1964-vespa-gl-150/7176669704.html

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 5.49.23 PM.png

01010_dkT4xsXp8Lg_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00z0z_2S2NfSYD2H4_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:39 pm quote
Quote:
Hahahahaha!

I love how you pop up like a fucking jack in the box two years later acting like youíre gods gift to scooterdom.

Take your play-skool set of tools and your garage bullshittery back up to whatever podunk town you live in.

Show me some moves and maybe you get a cup of coffee up here in the majors. Till then youíre shit on everybodyís shoe.

-g
Greasy,
You are a major part of the reason why this forum is such a steaming pile. Your "chops" aren't worth jack shit if all you ever do is strut around, proclaim your imagined 'superiority', and refuse to help anyone. If you can't be a decent gearhead or at the very least a decent moderator, you need to step aside and let those of us who are willing and able to help do so.
Please do fuck off at your earliest convenience; the grown-ups are talking here.
Thank you,
-Slashy
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:45 pm quote
You can't see that Joe don't have dough. He took it up a certain cavity with no grease and out of $500. No cash for tools, sand blasting, or too much of anything else. I would prob be in the same predicament if I did something stupid, too.
He says this is his fantasy so let him dream. Keep pumping up his head like he got resources. You can show him all the scooters, parts, procedures, or tools but ain't shit going to happen.
Prob the most attention he's gotten in a while. You have no idea how great this dude feels now. Young, dumb, and full of computer farts. Ah, the lil boy wants a cartoon scooter. Bless his heart.
Sounds like some kid dreaming which is fine but indulging in his unorthodox thought process is another. He even said he just want to be in the group plus some other stuff that make me smh.

It's like watching a dumbest train wreck. Pure enjoyment.

BTW, 1 hundo on everything Greasy said especially about the bodge poser expert guy. That shit is funny and so so true.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:47 pm quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
Joefromthefuture wrote:

Best,
-Slashy
Even you think this is a bad idea. So it isnít help... itís enabling. Hope you are also up for helping him wipe his arse when he wrecks.
And what's it to you, or me, or anyone else? Are you riding his bike? No. Is it your ass or wallet if it doesn't work out? No.
The one thing I hate above all others is a man who takes it upon himself to dictate to others what is in their own best interest.
The man has made his decision. You will now either lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Best,
-Slashy
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:51 pm quote
^ The same goes for RowdyC and the rest of ya. If you aren't here to help, please go find another thread more to your liking.
Best,
-Slashy
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:07 pm quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Quote:
Hahahahaha!

-g
Greasy,
You are a major part of the reason why this forum is such a steaming pile. Your "chops" aren't worth jack shit if all you ever do is strut around, proclaim your imagined 'superiority', and refuse to help anyone. If you can't be a decent gearhead or at the very least a decent moderator, you need to step aside and let those of us who are willing and able to help do so.
Please do fuck off at your earliest convenience; the grown-ups are talking here.
Thank you,
-Slashy
Okay buddy. You know fuck all about what we do here. But thatís fine. You havenít posted anything about your death trap bodge in a hot minute and you done been gone for two years. And thatís fine. Welcome back.

But you wanna come back and be a little chirpy shit bird? Cool.

As for my contributions. Where are yours super chief? I done been here. Where the fuck was you? Oh, yeah ... pulling your pud.

Willing and able? AGAIN where in gods green earth you been? Inspecting your navel?

Anyway, If you wanna talk ďgear headĒ status Iíll run circles around you and your well manicured nails eight ways from Sunday home slice.

Youíre more than welcome to LA and show me what time it is. Just wear a mask cuz I know you dirty.

xo

-g
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:14 pm quote
I'm here to troll, have a laugh, give a laugh,
and watch a dude with very little resources dream. Been here before this and prob be here after. He don't need my help. There's a self proclaim veitbodge expert in the house giving commands on what we should do and go. Well...OK then. He's flexing like he's a mod or people are amazed at him for his great bodge work with 14k km from a broken bodge speedometer. WOW!!! If that makes him feel good do his thing. He's just typing words on a screen. No one really gives a shit or backs up this bodge expert... except prob mostly newbies.

At some point Greasy is going to get tired of his crap.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:19 pm quote
Greasy,
Goddamn, dude! Do you have anything *constructive* to say? Anything at all?
Take your wounded ego and go pound sand. We don't need you here. If we need someone to clear out a troll, we'll give you a shout. Hopefully you can at least do that, since you seem to be the king troll on this forum and the rest of them follow you like lemmings.
Still waiting for you to fuck off,
-Slashy
P200 PX150
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:23 pm quote
rowdyc wrote:
I

At some point Greasy is going to get tired of his crap.
IDK... kinda like a cat playing with a mouse.... but me... yeah, naw. I'm tired of this crap.

Last edited by Birdsnest on Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:24 pm
GoSlash27 has been ejected from this topic
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous1234567Next
[ Time: 0.3695s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0811s) ][ Debug on ]