@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
My brother forgot to transfer his motorcycle license when he moved to Texas from Nevada since he didn't have a bike at the time. When his kids were old enough for school he decided to get his motorcycle license back. After looking at the requirement in Texas as the time of having to ride to the test within eyesight of a person with a motorcycle license and provide a car with licensed driver and proof of insurance to follow during the motorcycle on the bike test he decided it was simpler to take the MSF course. He was 44 at the time and had been riding since a teenager. He told me that there were several things he learned in that class that he had either forgotten or never learned in the first place. When his wife who also failed to transfer her motorcycle license went to get hers back she also took the class as it meant she didn't have to miss work. She said the same thing.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
TroutBum wrote:
Max, you have the skills and would not benefit much from the basic course. Sign-up for the advanced class. It's worth the $. The basic is great for those who have never ridden or have little experience, but if you have ridden for a year or more, and you have, it's a waste of time in my opinion.
not true,

I have personally taught many of riders who have rode for years. After the class 95% came up to me and said they were amazed at how much they DID NOT know until they completed the class.

the advance class is a building block on top of the beginner class and folks can benefit even more if they take the beginner class first.
I suppose, sure. It really depends on what your definition of a "beginner class" is. If it is the the type of course where students have never been on a motorbike before I imagine some could pick up things but it makes me a little sad to think people that have been riding for years don't know the basics. Oh sure it happens but I can be sad about it.

From my experience the advanced classes are smaller and more tuned to the skill of the rider. I took a few where the students that needed extra attention on the basics were given it while we moved on to more advanced techniques. They were pretty progressive that way. On group rides the instructors would look for different aspects to teach us based on skill. I'd usually get pulled up with the top group and we'd work on harder tasks than some other riders. Not touting my own horn as TBH I did them on my Vespa and certain tasks are easier on one.

I'm considering taking a few again on the K1600 but my fear is dropping a very expensive bike and I want to work through a number of the skills myself first. Sure as hell not taking a course until I have the drop bars installed! For the Ural I had to 100% self tech and I did a good job thanks to a lot of the drills crossing over. None of the schools really felt they had a qualified instructor to teach me and that's fair enough and very honest of them. They are a different beast.
just because you can swing a leg over a motorcycle or a scooter and make it go down the road doesn't mean you are in control and know how to properly brake , swerve, brake in corners, accelerate in corners or out of corners or before corners. Where do you look and what do you look for, why do you use a particular lane and what position in the lane do you use? what position in the lane do you don't want to use? how do you do a basic inspection of a vehicle?

there is many many many more questions for a person who can make a vehicle go down the road.

like I said before I have taught MANY folks whom have had YEARS of riding and 95% have told me they learned some new things they were not aware of.
This was in the basic class they took BTW. folks who came to the advance class who had the year or so riding and never took the beginner class struggled hard to complete the skills, where as the riders who went thru the basic class and 6 months later came back picked up the info and skills VERY VERY quickly. most of the time embarrassing the OLD skilled folks who KNEW how to RIDE.

just because you can run it doesn't make you a marathoner.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Sure, I could see a lot o riders never having learnt the basics or forgetting many of them. Happened to me when I took it even though I had a about 15 year so riding. Of course I'd built up a number of bad habits. It was certainly helpful, I will admit that.

I did a little look around and we have schools that offer "refresher" courses and they tend to be cheaper as the advanced classes. I see them as handy and may have my wife take one.

Some differences in training but minor. Really it comes down to techniques. Turning and cornering are handled a bit differently say for instance trail braking will not be addressed at all in a beginner class. Covering the brake and clutch also not really addressed as I suppose they don't want a beginner focused on that and some instructors believe in it and some less so. Personally I almost always have 2 fingers on my front brake and often on the clutch. Using the friction zone is also something not really taught to a beginner but key for proper riding technique. Some apply to a scooter and some do not of course. I find having a bike with shift assist the best of both worlds. It is all motorcycle when you want it to be be but you can blip through the gears almost as if it is a CVT if you want .
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
TroutBum wrote:
Max, you have the skills and would not benefit much from the basic course. Sign-up for the advanced class. It's worth the $. The basic is great for those who have never ridden or have little experience, but if you have ridden for a year or more, and you have, it's a waste of time in my opinion.
not true,

I have personally taught many of riders who have rode for years. After the class 95% came up to me and said they were amazed at how much they DID NOT know until they completed the class.

the advance class is a building block on top of the beginner class and folks can benefit even more if they take the beginner class first.
Our opinions differ on this and I stand by my comment. If you have never ridden or fairly new at it, the beginner course is great, but a person riding a year or more doesn't walk away with enough additional knowledge and would benefit much more from an advanced riding course.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
In Michigan you can take the course at a local community college for $50. Those are cancelled this season due to COVID. The only other option is to take the course offered by several local Harley dealers for $325.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
FrankNBrew wrote:
In Michigan you can take the course at a local community college for $50. Those are cancelled this season due to COVID. The only other option is to take the course offered by several local Harley dealers for $325.
Actually it seems some are open and I just did a quick cursory search.

https://www.schoolcraft.edu/cepd/motorcycle-safety

https://www.delta.edu/community/continuing-education/motorcycle.html
@chachi avatar
UTC

Vespa Sprint 150

@chachi avatar
Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
The courses are still in full effect here in NYC. I'm doing a 2-basic course b/c it's been over 10 years since I rode. Had the first lesson today and I can say that it's for sure worth it. I was a putz when I rode many years ago.
OP
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
So I met with the MSF gentleman and we took an early evening ride last night. He praised my riding style but told me I was speeding too much.

He clarified a few points:

A. Because I have had my M endorsementfor over one year I should be able to qualify for the advanced course.

B. They provide the bikes and they are all shifties.

So I am disappointed because I don't know how to ride a manual transmission and don't have the slightest desire to do so. Questions remain such as why can I not ride my own insured bike? Why don't they have automatic transmission bikes available?
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
So I met with the MSF gentleman and we took an early evening ride last night. He praised my riding style but told me I was speeding too much.

He clarified a few points:

A. Because I have had my M endorsementfor over one year I should be able to qualify for the advanced course.

B. They provide the bikes and they are all shifties.

So I am disappointed because I don't know how to ride a manual transmission and don't have the slightest desire to do so. Questions remain such as why can I not ride my own insured bike? Why don't they have automatic transmission bikes available?
That is a little strange, every advanced course I've taken has been on my own bike. Not surprised they don't have CVT or DCT bikes available as there aren't exactly a ton of low cost options and most riders will be coming from the motorcycle world. You may want to check to see if other schools allow you to use your own bike.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
I know what you mean. In the UK there is no way to ride a 300cc Vespa without gaining a license on a manual transmission bike even if you never plan to get one.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
I know what you mean. In the UK there is no way to ride a 300cc Vespa without gaining a license on a manual transmission bike even if you never plan to get one.
Same here, but the advanced courses that do not have anything to do with licensing allows you to use your own ride.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
Not quite true. Apart from the idiosyncracies of the licensing rules (licence before 2013/01/19 etc), you can take an A test on some automatic bikes - Aprilia Mana and Gilera GP800 are a couple of Piaggio ones!

But essentially - yes, the UK licensing regulations have become horrifically and unnecessarily burdensome.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
But essentially - yes, the UK licensing regulations have become horrifically and unnecessarily burdensome.
That really is a shame. The UK has such a great riding culture but with the stringent rules and the cost I fear more younger riders will not want to go through the process. It's almost as if the UK is saying riding is too dangerous. Not sure how these regulations come in to being but someone(s) in power seems to have a thing against riding. YES it's dangerous and YES their should be training but it should also be something everyone can afford to do.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
say for instance trail braking will not be addressed at all in a beginner class. <- WAS TOUCHED ON IN MY MSF COURSE

Covering the brake and clutch also not really addressed as I suppose they don't want a beginner focused on that <- WAS ADDRESSED IN MINE

Using the friction zone is also something not really taught to a beginner but key for proper riding technique. <- VERY HEAVILY EMPHASIZED IN MINE.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
say for instance trail braking will not be addressed at all in a beginner class. <- WAS TOUCHED ON IN MY MSF COURSE

Covering the brake and clutch also not really addressed as I suppose they don't want a beginner focused on that <- WAS ADDRESSED IN MINE

Using the friction zone is also something not really taught to a beginner but key for proper riding technique. <- VERY HEAVILY EMPHASIZED IN MINE.
Surprised they mentioned trail braking, less so about friction zone.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
jimc wrote:
That really is a shame. The UK has such a great riding culture but with the stringent rules and the cost I fear more younger riders will not want to go through the process. It's almost as if the UK is saying riding is too dangerous. Not sure how these regulations come in to being but someone(s) in power seems to have a thing against riding. YES it's dangerous and YES their should be training but it should also be something everyone can afford to do.
The regulations came into being when the UK aligned it's test regulations with the EU back in 2013 - the only time I've personally disagreed with such alignment.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
In South Africa, if you take your driving test in/on an automatic vehicle,
your licence is endorsed "automatic only" and you would need to restart and retest from learners stage in order to drive / ride a manual.
A real PITA when you can just use a manual and be able to use both.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
your licence is endorsed "automatic only" and you would need to restart and retest from learners stage in order to drive / ride a manual.
Not sure how long the process is there but here the portion where you need to use a manual trannie is 2 days so best advice is suck it up. Those of that started riding scooters back in the day had to learn to shift anyway as all the Lammies and Vespas were hand shifters when I started riding. Learning to ride a geared motorcycle is not hard and you pick it up pretty quickly. Many modern bikes now offer quick shifters as an option which simplifies the process as you do not even need to pull in the clutch.
OP
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
Not sure how long the process is there but here the portion where you need to use a manual trannie is 2 days so best advice is suck it up. Those of that started riding scooters back in the day had to learn to shift anyway as all the Lammies and Vespas were hand shifters when I started riding. Learning to ride a geared motorcycle is not hard and you pick it up pretty quickly. Many modern bikes now offer quick shifters as an option which simplifies the process as you do not even need to pull in the clutch.
That was exactly what he told me especially if I do know how to drive a stick shift. But a good analogy would be why would I have to buy tomatoes to make a caesar salad? It doesn't make sense.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Many modern bikes now offer quick shifters as an option which simplifies the process as you do not even need to pull in the clutch.
Some of those qualify as 'automatics' in the UK. The UK definition of automatic is that there's no manual clutch, so the FJR1300 is an automatic in the UK. The definition of automatic changes elsewhere - in the EU it's whether speed can be controlled by use of throttle and brakes alone, so 'auto' bikes that have paddle gear changes (whether foot or finger) as classed as manual.

My UK licence is for automatics only - my US one is for anything.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Many modern bikes now offer quick shifters as an option which simplifies the process as you do not even need to pull in the clutch.
Some of those qualify as 'automatics' in the UK. The UK definition of automatic is that there's no manual clutch, so the FJR1300 is an automatic in the UK. The definition of automatic changes elsewhere - in the EU it's whether speed can be controlled by use of throttle and brakes alone, so 'auto' bikes that have paddle gear changes (whether foot or finger) as classed as manual.

My UK licence is for automatics only - my US one is for anything.
Huh.. that is interesting and may explain why some manufacturers do things the way they do. So for instance while my BMW may have a quick shifter it is still a "manual" as there is an operational clutch and you must use it at least going from neutral to first but could absolutely also use it all the time if you wanted to. Where does a Goldwing with DCT fit in I wonder? The rules really can be so strange at times...
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
In Florida the MSF is required for MC endorsement. Those are the rules and that's that. I was grandfathered in I guess because they think I'm old.

If you don't know how to shift a manual motorcycle they will teach you how to. If thinking learning to shift on a closed course with instructors is too difficult you may want to reconsider riding any PTW.

Compared with many other countries the US is pretty easy and cheap to get it done. Two days and you're done. No 125cc restrictions, L plates, extra exams. You can go ride a 1600 cc bike the next day.

Personally I also think it's a good idea that anyone that rides distances with a group should know how to ride a manual. You're out on a ride, stupid stuff happens. Your buddy is hurt but his bike is rideable you're ok but your scooter is wrecked, add in no cell service and you don't have a Spot you're stuck. No possibility of taking the manual bike to go get help or even a signal.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Huh.. that is interesting and may explain why some manufacturers do things the way they do. So for instance while my BMW may have a quick shifter it is still a "manual" as there is an operational clutch and you must use it at least going from neutral to first but could absolutely also use it all the time if you wanted to. Where does a Goldwing with DCT fit in I wonder? The rules really can be so strange at times...
The laws and rule changes always lag. It's not like BMW is going to inform them of their new clutch concept before releasing the bike. No reason to spoil the surprise!
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
ScooterRaton wrote:
In Florida the MSF is required for MC endorsement. Those are the rules and that's that. I was grandfathered in I guess because they think I'm old.

If you don't know how to shift a manual motorcycle they will teach you how to. If thinking learning to shift on a closed course with instructors is too difficult you may want to reconsider riding any PTW.

Compared with many other countries the US is pretty easy and cheap to get it done. Two days and you're done. No 125cc restrictions, L plates, extra exams. You can go ride a 1600 cc bike the next day.

Personally I also think it's a good idea that anyone that rides distances with a group should know how to ride a manual. You're out on a ride, stupid stuff happens. Your buddy is hurt but his bike is rideable you're ok but your scooter is wrecked, add in no cell service and you don't have a Spot you're stuck. No possibility of taking the manual bike to go get help or even a signal.
I do know how to shift and have ridden manual motorcycle shift vehicles both motorcycles and ATVs but it has been over 10 years so I'd be very rusty at first. Though I might be p easantly surprised as we rented a manual car in Italy two years ago and I hadnt driven one longer than that and not one stall. With the pin in my left ankle it wouldn't be my first choice but I could do it.

Oh and they talked about friction zone in the MSF course we took in Texas. My youngest son said that is why he has no interest in riding a manual motorcycle ever again.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I love it that most Americans get frightened by 'the friction zone' and can't drive a manual ("stick-shift") car - it makes theft of our Westfalia van far less likely - though I've added a kill-switch anyway.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
TBH a manual motorcycle is very easy to learn. It's usually a simple one down for first then up, up , up until you run out of gears. You can literally learn how to do it in less than half an hour comfortably and if you can walk and chew gum you can figure it out. The downside? Yes it is one more thing to concern yourself with and if you are happy riding scooters only then you need not concern yourself with it. However I do think it is a handy skill to have and does open up more opportunities should you want to add a motorcycle to the mix down the road.

In the last 3 years I've taught myself how to ride all over again after. along break starting with a 300CC Vespa. Then added a large 650CC "scooter", then a 7500CC sidecar rig and now have a 1649CC 160 HP motorcycle. You know what? It's been a lot of fun and challenging yourself can be fun. The biggest help along the journey has been professional training which here at least is not expensive and you learn so, so much.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Agreed. I owned a manual 125 HD in the UK for a couple of years - but I wasn't going to shell out the £800+ it would have cost to convert my licence to 'everything' instead of 'just automatic'. The cost is involved because I'd have to pay a training school to get me used to a 600cc manual bike and then accompany me to the testing grounds. (there are two separate tests).

The operation of a manual is a piece of piss to anyone who is used to manual transmissions in other vehicles. Once you've learned how the clutch bites (the friction zone) you're golden. Should take about five minutes of parking lot practice.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I love it that most Americans get frightened by 'the friction zone' and can't drive a manual ("stick-shift") car - it makes theft of our Westfalia van far less likely - though I've added a kill-switch anyway.
I noticed last year that when launching the Vespa I let out the rear brake like it was a clutch.

Hey Max, when people whinge about the cost of helmets we ask them what their heads are worth. MSF is about saving your ass. Whats you ass worth?

Facepalm emoticon Scooter emoticon
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
jimc wrote:
I noticed last year that when launching the Vespa I let out the rear brake like it was a clutch.

I'm guilty of using a bit of trail braking on every take-off - manual ASR if you will - and it accounts for my replacing rear brake pads as often as rear tyres...
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
znomit wrote:
jimc wrote:

I'm guilty of using a bit of trail braking on every take-off - manual ASR if you will - and it accounts for my replacing rear brake pads as often as rear tyres...
I beat the rear brake pads to hell on the C650 in a few seasons and like znomit said it can act like a clutch. The rear brake IS basically the friction zone of a CVT in a way and in my advanced classes I took on the Vespa the instructors had me use the rear brake when doing the slow speed maneuvers and controls. They also had the bikes with a clutch use the rear brake but the focus was on the friction zone for them. Learning to ride on a CVT I think is a plus when you get on a manual bike as you have already learnt the benefits of using the rear brake as an aid.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Agreed. I owned a manual 125 HD in the UK for a couple of years - but I wasn't going to shell out the £800+ it would have cost to convert my licence to 'everything' instead of 'just automatic'. The cost is involved because I'd have to pay a training school to get me used to a 600cc manual bike and then accompany me to the testing grounds. (there are two separate tests).

The operation of a manual is a piece of piss to anyone who is used to manual transmissions in other vehicles. Once you've learned how the clutch bites (the friction zone) you're golden. Should take about five minutes of parking lot practice.
Yeh you can train a chimp to use a clutch in a few minutes. Shifting on modern motorcycles is a lot smoother than on my shifty Vespa but riding the PX is still the most fun I have on two wheels.
@mawsley avatar
UTC

E4 Touring, E5 Supersport

@mawsley avatar
E4 Touring, E5 Supersport
UTC quote
My son decided he wanted to ride a bike when he was 17. Due to the lack of training that rented machines, it cost me a mint. The course I didn't begrudge at all, him trashing the CBF125 was a different matter...all fixable, but plastic isn't cheap Laughing emoticon

It was a happy day in this house when his licence expired after two years. I tried to teach him roadcraft - but anybody with a teenage son will appreciate the problems apprentice men have with listening to their fathers!

TLDR: training is a good thing.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
jimc wrote:

Yeh you can train a chimp to use a clutch in a few minutes. Shifting on modern motorcycles is a lot smoother than on my shifty Vespa but riding the PX is still the most fun I have on two wheels.
Wanna try a Ural? Shifting with authority is the best way I've had it explained and yeah that makes sense. You learn to use the clutch, shifting and friction zone on one of these Russian beasts and everything else is unicorns and rainbows. After a few weeks of focusing on learning to ride my K1600 and... yeah no words I can come up with how different it feels. I've been on all 3 bikes in the last 24 hours and I guess the biggest shock was I actually had a bit of difficulty on the Vespa. Nothing major but it really felt weird and a little uncomfortable for about 5 minutes until I reset my brain to deal with a CVT and smaller wheelbase. I've ridden the BMW enough now though I can start going back to switching out bikes depending on the task at hand or the mood I'm in.

Now how this ties in to the MSF course and training. The training I received works for ALL the bikes even though they are very, very different. Sure with a sidecar some things do not translate but a surprising amount does. Same goes for operating a CVT or manual and 24HP or 160HP. I use the same techniques over and over again and my advice is if you can learn on a shifty. The skills will translate and you can practice on your own with an automatic with the only real difference being no need to worry about a clutch. The benefit is if you do down the road want to try a bike you have had the practice plus it gives you the confidence in knowing you can ride any PTW you set your mind to.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
As far as shifting for the MSF, I'd ridden a 50cc motorcycle as a teenager, then 40+years passed before I bought a scooter. Taking the course for my license, I found shifting to be nearly routine for me after 5 minutes. Glad I got to go at it again.

As for learning the friction zone, I tried teaching my niece to shift (sister's idea)...after a half dozen lugging starts and kills, I decided to drive home. Tried to teach my GF to drive manual to save $800 on the car she was buying...failed that too. Either some people just can't get it, or I'm a shit instructor.

Come to think about it, I need to give it a try with my 17 y.o. Keep ya posted!
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Back in the day I taught half a dozen friends to drive a manual. Went with a friend and her sister to pick up their brand new (advertised special) Dotson that their parents had gotten for them to drive to university in. Neither knew how to drive a stick so I drove it to a big empty parking lot for a business that was closed on the weekend and taught both of them how to drive it in about an hour. My friend nailed it quickly, her sister not so much. Took her a long time to become smooth. With the rental car in Italy it was smooth right from the start but the last time I rode a manual motorcycle shift I'll admit there were a couple of bucks but at least I didn't stall. I expect if I had too it wouldn't take too long to get back to smooth but since I have a pin in my left ankle motorcycle shifting isn't high on my list of things I want to do for any significant length of time. Though paddle shifting on the CTX's DCT did remind me how much fun it could be but then I think of some of the roads I ride and how much shifting would be involved and decide that I won't buy another.
@pammieellen avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Hooked
@pammieellen avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
TroutBum wrote:
not true,

So true - I was only new rider in my class - I could tell we had folks with skills that needed to be improved - and many folks had been riding for years! I just put 700 miles on my Vespa and I consider myself barely safe so I'm looking forward to further training!
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
This is going to be a problem for motorcycle manufacturers, if it isn't already. Driving 'stick' was once the default, and a matter of masculine pride. That made picking up motorcycling easier -- shifting is pretty much shifting, except you're using your foot to shift and hand to clutch, rather than vice versa. Now it's a disappearing skill along with manual transmissions in general.

Having to learn to operate a manual transmission in the first place while learning the balance/dynamics of a motorcycle adds another obstacle to getting new riders onto bikes. Granted, it's not all that difficult, but if you're starting from scratch it's not nothing.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Rusty J wrote:
Having to learn to operate a manual transmission in the first place while learning the balance/dynamics of a motorcycle adds another obstacle to getting new riders onto bikes. Granted, it's not all that difficult, but if you're starting from scratch it's not nothing.
I expect the trend toward auto shift PTWs of one kind and another will continue. Manual shift scooters have essentially disappeared. By definition, all electric scooters and motorcycles are auto. Honda makes some nice auto-clutch, auto-shift bikes. More all the time.
OP
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
TBH a manual motorcycle is very easy to learn. It's usually a simple one down for first then up, up , up until you run out of gears. You can literally learn how to do it in less than half an hour comfortably and if you can walk and chew gum you can figure it out. The downside? Yes it is one more thing to concern yourself with and if you are happy riding scooters only then you need not concern yourself with it. However I do think it is a handy skill to have and does open up more opportunities should you want to add a motorcycle to the mix down the road.

In the last 3 years I've taught myself how to ride all over again after. along break starting with a 300CC Vespa. Then added a large 650CC "scooter", then a 7500CC sidecar rig and now have a 1649CC 160 HP motorcycle. You know what? It's been a lot of fun and challenging yourself can be fun. The biggest help along the journey has been professional training which here at least is not expensive and you learn so, so much.
That is encouraging.

BR I agree being able to shift would be an asset but saying because I am unable to, I have no business riding, is just disingenious.
@pammieellen avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Hooked
@pammieellen avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Yup - totally agree with above -- all drivers should be able to shift both on motorcycles and bikes. Being able to do so got me so much further along on the safety aspects of the training. That said, I have flown planes and helicopters - early learning to ride with shifting in automobiles helped with that. And, again, shocking what I saw in my MSF course from "experienced cyclists." Also, I might add, sad, America seems to discourage stick. I love going to Europe/Japan and driving there.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2554s ][ Queries: 43 (0.1467s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]