1980 P200E 7 Wire Stator Help
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
1980 P200E
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 pm quote
Hello. New here, new to vespa, long time bike and car wrencher.

I recently picked up a 1980 P200E US model which is currently going through a refresh. The stator wiring was in very poor shape and I am attempting to replace all the wires. Problem is that someone in the past replaced the wires but did not match the colors and apparently was not familiar with the use of a soldering iron.

I am able to trace the wires back to the frame connectors where the colors are correct but using the available diagrams I can't verify the connections at the stator. I have no faith that the previous repair was anywhere close to the correct order.

I have searched at length and can't find any good pictures of a 1980 7 wire stator with 2 red wires.

Does anyone have a good picture or two that would show the proper wire hookup sequence? Picture is of what I have now. The yellow wire is a good example of all the joints on this stator.

Thanks

IMG_7127.jpg

Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:52 pm quote
Using the scooterhelp diagram and a multimeter should help if no one pops up with pics. I think the diagram is pretty accurate with the correct placement of the coils.
Start easy with the pickup identifying its red wire on the diagram and match with the one on the stator. Test the continuity of that red wire from the connection on the pickup to the end of the red wire. If you get a reading thats the correct wire and it's working.
Next go the to the green wire on your pickup coil and test with the multimeter and the connections at the coil. Work you way around until you get back to the pickup.

Just from looking at the diagram and using your picture it seems some of the wires are correct.
1. Red wire from pickup is correct.
2. Maybe the extra black wire s/b diagram's red wire for lighting? Can't really see that black wire stator connection.
3. Gray wire s/b diagram's white wire for ignition
4. Green ignition wire is correct. Needs rerouting and not run over the coil.
5. Black ground wire is correct.
6. Brown wire s/b diagram's purple wire.
7. Yellow wire is correct.

Most of that is eyeball guessing but hope it helps to get you started until someone pops on with some detail pictures of their stator.

Good luck!

http://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VSX1T.USA.after.pdf

1980 P200E
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:24 pm quote
Thanks rowdyc. Following your logic and the diagram, it does make sense. If I'm understanding correctly on the diagram, the White and the Black wires are both grounded to the stator plate. Does that sound right?

Thanks
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:18 pm quote
Aircooled wrote:
Thanks rowdyc. Following your logic and the diagram, it does make sense. If I'm understanding correctly on the diagram, the White and the Black wires are both grounded to the stator plate. Does that sound right?

Thanks
I think so. Not sure about the black wire since it's been a while since I had to rewire it but seems right. I wouldn't change wire locations right now. Follow each wire back to the stator to identify and check continuity. Once you plug it all up and your're getting a spark and over 12v AC from the other wires, it works. If it fails and you can't get detail pictures, send it to Scooter Mercato for a cheap correct rebuild. But I hope the PO didn't change the wires locations and you can fix it right there.

Good luck!
1980 P200E
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:29 pm quote
Thanks again rowdyc. It will be awhile until I start reassembly but I will trace everything out before I hook it back up. My biggest problem is that even though I took a number of pictures before removing the old wires, I can't see the real black wire clear enough to determine if it is just grounded strait to the plate. Pretty sure that both the black and white wires are grounded but maybe someone will come up with a picture to verify.
Molto Verboso
79 P200E, 62 Allstate, 2008 Stella
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:35 pm quote
Hey Aircooled - welcome to MV! I found a couple of pics that may help. I do think the black wire is grounded to the stator case.

The 1st pic is after I soldered them to the appropriate places.
The 2nd pic is showing it installed, and if you zoom in, you can just see the black wire soldered to the stator.

At least that's what I see. I don't remember exactly. It's not everyday I do this. I hope this helps!

20200502_132440_resized.jpg
Notice the colors and order of the wires.

20200502_173550_resized.jpg
Here if you zoom in on the pic you can just see where the black wire is soldered to the stator housing.

1980 P200E
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:26 pm quote
With the help of rowdyc and gascooter I was able to finish the rewire of my stator. I had to sub blue for purple but I figure with 6 of the 7 correct colors, it whould be near impossible to get it hooked up wrong.

Thanks to the forum for being here and to rowdyc and gascooter for the guidance.

Finished Stator.jpg

Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1690s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0487s) ][ Debug on ]